/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Editor beaten in Bangladesh after trying to make peace between Jews and Muslims

ManchesterFolk
10-18-2006, 01:26 PM
Muslim journalist facing charges of sedition for advocating ties with Israel was recently attacked and beaten by a crowd in Bangladesh that allegedly included leading officials of the country's ruling party, The Jerusalem Post has learned.

Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury, editor of the Weekly Blitz newspaper, an English-language publication based in the Bangladeshi capital of Dhaka, was working in his office on October 5 when nearly 40 people stormed the premises.

The mob beat Choudhury, leaving him with a fractured ankle, and looted cash that was kept in the company safe. Choudhury was briefly hospitalized.

According to a statement appearing on the Web site of the Weekly Blitz, the attackers were led by Helal Khan, international affairs secretary of Jasas, and included Babul Ahmed, Jasas's secretary-general. Jasas is the cultural wing of the ruling Bangladeshi National Party (BNP).

During the assault, Ahmed is said to have shouted at Choudhury, labeling him an "agent of the Jews."

In a photo taken shortly after the incident that was obtained exclusively by the Post, Choudhury can be seen hunched over a table wearing a torn shirt while a Bangladeshi policeman dressed in blue chats with two BNP officials. Both officials took part in the attack.

No arrests were made, and police refused to allow Choudhury to file charges against his attackers.

As the Post first reported last month, Bangladesh is moving forward with plans to try Choudhury on charges of blasphemy, sedition, treason and espionage in connection with his articles critical of Islamic extremism and favorable to Israel.

After several delays, his trial is due to start in Dhaka on Thursday. If convicted, Choudhury faces the death penalty.

The charges stem from November 2003, when Choudhury was arrested at Dhaka's International Airport as he was preparing to board a flight on his way to Israel, where he was due to deliver a speech on promoting mutual understanding between Muslims and Jews.

Choudhury's visit to Israel would have been the first by a Bangladeshi journalist. Bangladesh does not recognize Israel's existence.

After being held in prison for 17 months, where he was reportedly tortured, Choudhury was released in April 2005. But authorities in Bangladesh, which is ruled by a coalition government that includes Islamic extremists, decided to pursue charges against him.

Dr. Richard Benkin, an American human rights activist leading the fight for Choudhury's release, expressed grave concern about the current situation.

"Choudhury is unique because he has not fled to the West, but continues to oppose militant Islamists from inside the Muslim world," Benkin told the Post. "He feels that if he can defeat the radicals in their own back yard it will be a victory for peace and justice unlike any other thus far."

"More and more Muslims are looking at this case," Benkin said. "They want to see if Shoaib will get the support and protection he needs from the West. If he is victorious, other Muslims will try the same; if we allow him to go down, they will remain silent."

Both the American Jewish Committee and the Writers in Prison Committee of International PEN have protested Bangladesh's treatment of Choudhury and called for the charges against him to be dropped.
SOURCE: link

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
10-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Unfortunately I think this type of thing is much more common than some might think. There should be more attention to situations like this, and hopefully there will widespread condemnation of acts like this.

ManchesterFolk
10-18-2006, 09:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Unfortunately I think this type of thing is much more common than some might think. There should be more attention to situations like this, and hopefully there will widespread condemnation of acts like this.
I hope so. Bangladesh is such a poor country when it comes to economy, if the world codemns them, possibly they will stop, not because it is the right thing, but for the sake of there survival.

- Qatada -
10-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Edit.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ManchesterFolk
10-18-2006, 09:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
No matter what your intention was, please don't offend others. I think it's better that you remove or edit your comment.

Peace.
Alright. I edited it, but let me tell you that it was not to offend anyone. It was based on the state of there economy.

- Qatada -
10-18-2006, 09:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk
Alright. I edited it, but let me tell you that it was not to offend anyone. It was based on the state of there economy.

Thanks for your co-operation :) if everyone wants to get along, we should try to distance away from conflict in every way possible. Even if it's just through how we say something by text.

Peace.

jzcasejz
10-18-2006, 10:15 PM
:sl:

It's Sad To Hear The News Of Violence/Chaos In B'Desh :cry:

:w:

Bittersteel
10-19-2006, 11:20 AM
this is nothing compared to what happens to the majority of the people.

and our economy isn't bad.we just have a huge population of 150 million(the United States which has the highest GDP has a population of 300 million).Our GDP(PPP) is $ 300 billion.we are expecting more economic growth in the future.If we got rid of corruption we would even be better.

and folks if the west does not trade with us,your Christian NGOs and all those organisations would be kicked out.Secular/western influence would decrease.

Note-Bangladesh is a secular country.I think that's why people are indisciplined.Bangladesh is also the only Muslim country where Islamists don't care about Islamic laws that much.

lavikor201
10-19-2006, 07:15 PM
Note-Bangladesh is a secular country.I think that's why people are indisciplined.Bangladesh is also the only Muslim country where Islamists don't care about Islamic laws that much.
Isn't it a contradiction to be called an "Islamist" and not care about Islamic law?

MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-19-2006, 07:17 PM
bangladesh isnt a islamic country.. majority r muslims but rest r hinduz etc :rollseyes

:-\ dats so bad.. so sad 2 hear its hapenin 2 bdesh :(

Pk_#2
10-19-2006, 07:19 PM
aii aiii aiii

wa'gwanin?

Hmm...make du'a fo the benny's

majority r .................................................. .

some r ok

Alhamdhulillah!!

so much conflict world wide jeez!

MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-19-2006, 07:23 PM
innit.. every corner of the world!

but braaaap 2 bdesh!

Pk_#2
10-19-2006, 07:25 PM
LOL u benny!

May Allah make it eaiser upon the Muslims, :)

MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-19-2006, 07:27 PM
haha and...

ameeennn!

Bittersteel
10-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Isn't it a contradiction to be called an "Islamist" and not care about Islamic law?
what can I say Lavikor ,political Islamic leaders tend to be corrupt and greedy for wealth.That's their real intention.That's everyone's intention in Bangladesh politics.

General Mullahs are okay,though.and the people are liberal.to the core.
Hence I don't believe in half of what Washington Post says.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.