/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Concerning Masjid Al-Aqsa

Avicenna
10-18-2006, 02:47 PM
There is a hadith that reports Muhammad one night, rode on a winged horse that drove him from Masjidu'lHaram to Msjidu'l Aqsa (in Jerusalem) and from there to the seventh heaven where he was shown the hell and the paradise and then taken to the presence of Allah. This story that is commonly accepted by all the Muslims and is known as Mi'raj , which is also confirmed in Quran

Glory to (Allah)
Who did take His Servant for a journey by night,
From the Sacred Mosque to the Farthest Mosque.
-- Quran 17:1

First notice how aburd this even is. Considering that it would take the light (fastest thing in the universe) 8 years to make a round trip to the closest solar system, and 30 billion years to the outskirts of the known universe, and considering that wings don't serve beyond the atmosphere of the Earth, such trip performed on the back of a horse with wings in one night is just stuff of the fables. Why Muhammad had to go to Masjidul' Aqsa in order to go to heaven?

Despite this, we must notice another grave error in this story. Masjid'ul Aqsa ("{Farthest Mosque") was built after the death of Muhammad. When Omar conquered Jerusalem he performed a prayer in the site where Temple of Solomon used to stand. The Romans in 70 A.D destroyed that temple. Since then no temple, church or mosque stood on that spot. It was Calif 'Abd al-Malik ibn Marwan who built the Dome of the Rock around 691 A.D. i.e 72 years after Hijrah. And Masjidu'l Aqsa was built on the Temple Mount by the end of the 7th century.

Muhammad's Mi'raj took place around the year 622, when Jerusalem was in the hands of the Christians. There were no Muslims living there and certainly there was no Mosque in Jerusalem. 53 years after the death of Muhammad, Muslims built the Dome of the Rock and the Al Aqsa on the site where Solomon had his temple

This is sufficient evidence that the Quran was manipulated to glorify the prophet. The author of the verse 17:1 was not aware that Masjid ul Aqsa did not exist during the time of Muhammad and he could not have made his trip to heaven from a place that did not exist.

This is an obvious blunder of those who compiled Quran so much so that many Islamic scholars, including Yusuf Ali are of the opinion that by Masjid'u' Aqsa, it is intended the SITE of the building and not the actual building. However, the following hadith passage refutes this:

I said, "O Allah's Apostle! Which mosque was built first?" He replied, "Al-Masjid-ul-Haram." I asked, "Which (was built) next?" He replied, "Al-Masjid-ul-Aqs-a (i.e. Jerusalem)." I asked, "What was the period in between them?" He replied, "Forty (years)." He then added, "Wherever the time for the prayer comes upon you, perform the prayer, for all the earth is a place of worshipping for you." …… Bukhari, Volume 4, book 55, Number 136

The hadith presents yet another problem. Masjid'ul Haram (Ka'ba) was allegedly built by Abraham. He lived about 2000 BC and the Temple of Solomon (the site of the Msjid ul'Aqsa) was built about 958-951 BC. There is a gap of about over 1040 years between the dates of the construction of the two buildings.

Peace.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
10-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Your interest in Islam is appreciated. It does appear that you do have at least some knowledge of our beliefs. Your input here will be welcome. All we ask is that you keep all comments civil. Please read the FAQ section for our forum rules.

I am not a scholar so at the moment I myself will not attempt to refute your post as I have no desire to possibly state something erroneous. We do have many knowledgable members and I am confident your post will be addressed properly fairly soon.

ckerofilm
10-18-2006, 03:03 PM
'absurdity' of it just goes to show what a MIRACLE it was masha allah (as God wills)

czgibson
10-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by ckerofilm
'absurdity' of it just goes to show what a MIRACLE it was masha allah (as God wills)
"No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle unless the testimony be of such a kind that its falsehood would be more miraculous than the fact which it endeavors to establish."

- David Hume

Peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
10-18-2006, 03:09 PM
In reply to Bro. ckerofilm

Mashallah Brother. God(swt) has no limitations. Jazakallahu Khair

I am certain our enquirer is looking for a deeper explanation. I know this has been refuted many times. I just do not want to speak without certainty and verification.

ckerofilm
10-18-2006, 03:09 PM
the Quran is a miracle which no one has been able to bring anything like in over 1400yrs and nothing compares to it

Goku
10-18-2006, 03:11 PM
If the Mosque in Jerusalem wasnt built, then did Muhammad (pbuh) prophesise it?

Since you are interested in Hadith, here are some for you:

Volume 4, Book 56, Number 841:
Narrated Abu Huraira:

I said, "O Allah's Apostle! I hear many narrations from you but I forget them." He said, "Spread your covering sheet." I spread my sheet and he moved both his hands as if scooping something and emptied them in the sheet and said, "Wrap it." I wrapped it round my body, and since then I have never forgotten a single Hadith.

During the campaign of Uhud, Qattada Bin An-Nu'man (May Allah be pleased with him) was injured in the eye. The eyeball had come out of the socket and was hanging on his cheek. The Prophet (peace be upon him) put it back with his hand and after this incident, that eye was better than the uninjured eye.

Al-Bukhaari related that Yazid bin Abi Ubaid (may Allah be pleased with him) said, ´I saw a scar of a cut on the leg of Abu Muslim. When I asked him, “O Abu Muslim! What is this scar?” He said, “ I was injured in the battle of Khyber. People said, “Himama is injured.” I came to the Prophet (peace be upon him) and he blew on the injury three times and after that I did not feel any pain till today.”

Aisha bint Saad narrated on her father’s authority that the Prophet (peace be upon him) visited Saad Bin abi Waqqas (May Allah be pleased with him) while the latter was sick. The Prophet (peace be upon him) put his hand on Saad’s head and wiped his face and stomach, and said “O Allah cure Saad and help him to complete his migration.” Saad said, "From that time till now, I can still feel the cold touch of the hands of the Prophet (peace be upon him)."

Prior to the battle of Khaiber the Prophet (peace be upon him) said “Tomorrow I will give the flag to a man who loves Allah and his Prophet (peace be upon him), and Allah and His Prophet (peace be upon him) love him.” The people spent the night, each one of them eager to be given the banner. In the morning the Prophet (peace be upon him) asked, “where is Ali bin Abi Talib (May Allah be pleased with him)?” They said he is suffering from an eye ailment (Ramadh). The Prophet (peace be upon him) spit in Ali’s eyes and he was cured.

Narrated Jabir (May Allah be pleased with him) Allah’s messenger came to visit while I was sick and unconscious. He performed ablution and sprinkled the remaining water on me and I became conscious…… Al-Bukhaari

ckerofilm
10-18-2006, 03:21 PM
^J/K for that bro

shariq_0189
10-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Good post, i my self am not a scholar, but one thing i would like to say is that, The prophet did not mount a winged horse like creature, which most of us think of what we see in fantasy movies or etc.It was actually a Buraq: "a white animal that was shorter than a mule and taller than a donkey was brought before me. This animal was the Buraaq." - ( from the sahih hadith ). So it was not some fantasy horse, but an animal brought from paradise. I probably havent answered your question fully, but inshallah i will try and get back, i just wanted to let you and anyone else know about the "horse", because before i herd about it, i also thought of a horse with wings. peace

Avicenna
10-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Can anyone provide a point by point refutation of my post? I am challenging any member here to do so.

I am going to examine the hadith in post #7 carefully. However, it seems that I am right in memtioning the HISTORICAL error of the Quran, nevermind its absurdity.

Peace.

Woodrow
10-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Perhaps there may be some confusion as to how a Masjid is defined. we believe that the Masjid Al Aqsa was the original site of the alter upon which Abraham was to sacrifice his son. That is the reason Muhammad(PBUH)initialy prayed in the direction of Al'quds. (Jerusalem) It was later it was moved to Makkah. The Masjid al Aqsa predated Muhammad and even Christianity. The current structure was built later I agree.

Avicenna
10-18-2006, 03:47 PM
Woodrow, my post addresses your point:

This is an obvious blunder of those who compiled Quran so much so that many Islamic scholars, including Yusuf Ali are of the opinion that by Masjid'u' Aqsa, it is intended the SITE of the building and not the actual building. However, the following hadith passage refutes this:

I said, "O Allah's Apostle! Which mosque was built first?" He replied, "Al-Masjid-ul-Haram." I asked, "Which (was built) next?" He replied, "Al-Masjid-ul-Aqs-a (i.e. Jerusalem)." I asked, "What was the period in between them?" He replied, "Forty (years)." He then added, "Wherever the time for the prayer comes upon you, perform the prayer, for all the earth is a place of worshipping for you." …… Bukhari, Volume 4, book 55, Number 136

The Hadith clearly asserts that Masjidul Aqsa was an actual building existing at the time of Muhammad.

The hadith presents yet another problem. Masjid'ul Haram (Ka'ba) was allegedly built by Abraham. He lived about 2000 BC and the Temple of Solomon (the site of the Msjid ul'Aqsa) was built about 958-951 BC. There is a gap of about over 1040 years between the dates of the construction of the two buildings.
Peace.

Bittersteel
10-18-2006, 03:47 PM
ask Ansar.He knows such stuff well.wait for him.

Woodrow
10-18-2006, 03:50 PM
I agree Ansar is the best to answer.

Woodrow
10-18-2006, 04:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Avicenna
Woodrow, my post addresses your point:

The Hadith clearly asserts that Masjidul Aqsa was an actual building existing at the time of Muhammad.

Peace.
I can understand the point you are making. I just do not consider myself as having sufficient knowledge to answer you in a manner that would be completly in accordance with Islam. I personaly am satisfied there is no error. I just do not quite know how I can express my reasons to you.

Also keep in mind that the Ahadith are not the Qur'an. It is very important to not take any hadith out of context. I am trying to find the proper references in my Ahadith, that may better explain this.

Ansar Al-'Adl
10-18-2006, 04:09 PM
First notice how aburd this even is. Considering that it would take the light (fastest thing in the universe) 8 years to make a round trip to the closest solar system, and 30 billion years to the outskirts of the known universe
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-of-light.html
and considering that wings don't serve beyond the atmosphere of the Earth
The Prophet saws was not travelling in our material universe for Miraaj, he ascended beyond our observable dimension through the Ma'ârij. He was not travelling in 'outer space'!! And the Burâq is unlike any earthly creatures as are its wings.
Why Muhammad had to go to Masjidul' Aqsa in order to go to heaven?
He didn't. The trip to Al-Aqsa was the isrâ' and the ascension was the miraaj.

Masjid'ul Aqsa ("{Farthest Mosque") was built after the death of Muhammad.
Let us first clarify what Masjid Al-Aqsa is:
The Arab grammarians classify masjid as "ism makan", i.e., "name of location"; it indicates the place where an action takes place. Masjid being derived from the root sa-ja-da (to prostrate), it means "place of prostration". Since a place of worship is a place where believers prostrate to God, "masjid" is a general term to designate any place of worship without any religious distinction. Later, this word was used to designate Islamic places of worship in particular, i.e., the mosques.
The Prophet's night journey was from "the inviolable place of worship" (al-Masjid al-Haram) to "the farthest place of worship" (al-Masjid al-Aqsa). The former is certainly located in Makkah, but what about the latter? The reference to Allah blessing its surroundings (... whose precincts We did bless) suggests a location in the "Holy Land" (cf. 21:81; 7:137; 34:18).
Masjid is any place of prostration. The Prophet Muhammad pbuh said "The earth has been made for me [and for my followers] a "masjid" [Arabic: a place for prostration]and a means of purification. Therefore, my followers can pray wherever the time of a prayer is due." (Sahîh Bukhârî).

As for the hadîth you quoted it refers to the initial designation of the location as a sacred sanctuary and the foundations of Bayt Al-Maqdis.
Neither were the first. It can be said that Abraham laid the foundations of both, or that Adam and his progeny did. Ibn Al-Jawzî:
"The answer to that is that the mention concerns the first construction and the foundation of the mosque and it is not Abraham who built the Ka`bah for the first time nor is it Solomon who built Bayt al-Maqdis for the first time. Indeed, we have narrated that the first one who built the Ka`bah is Adam. Then his progeny spread out on earth. Therefore, it is possible that one of them built Bayt al-Maqdis. Later, Abraham (re)built the Ka`bah according to the Qur'an."
Regards

muzna
10-18-2006, 04:44 PM
jazakallah...thought as much the confusion might have something to do with lost meaning in the translation from arabic to english

afriend
10-18-2006, 05:00 PM
What's the point you are trying to make?

Today, I saw a spider in the mosque on the floor when everyone was getting out of the mosque...It was as small as ever! and nobody was noticing it, I cringed every second thinking this spider will be crushed.

But everyone had left the mosque, the spider had survived the feets of atleast 50 worshippers. This to me was, just unbelievable. But it was right in front of my eyes!

Indeed! The one who can save a spider from certain death, can do anything he pleases.

Woodrow
10-18-2006, 05:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muzna
jazakallah...thought as much the confusion might have something to do with lost meaning in the translation from arabic to english
For non-Muslims and recent reverts. There are some obstacles to be overcome. Two that I had early problems with were language and the relationship of the Ahadith. Although before reverting to Islam I already had a fair knowledge of Modern Arabic, I soon found out that Qur'anic Arabic is much deeper and the meanings are much more intense. I have found very few Qur'anic words that have English equivilants. the Ahadith also posed another challange. Few non-Muslims are even aware of them and those who are aware of them have many misconceptions. As many reverts I had and still do have some difficulty in understanding the Ahadith. I am learning and do know that if I see something that appears to be contradictorary to the Qur'an, it is the result of my faulty understanding. The Ahadith explain the Qur'an they do not detract nor add to it.

To resolve these problems I found out that the best approach is to realise that Allah(swt) has really made everything easy for us. We are told very soon what we are to do, all of that is very clear. Deeper studies just verify the why and how. When we say the Shahadah and accept the facts of what is expected, all else falls into place as it is needed.

gilani
10-18-2006, 05:25 PM
:sl:

This is replying to Iqram's post...I don't think you should be making comments like that, it wasn't nice...Avicenna didn't take any personal shots or defame anyone personally, so neither should you. I see you have many previous posts and I don't see why you would post somehting like that. This is also against the teachings of Islam and comments like that wont bring anyone closer to accepting Islam.

:w:
Adam

PS
I was referring to the "F" level student comment

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-18-2006, 06:58 PM
yessssssss, thats right! i feel the same.

Allah-creation
10-18-2006, 07:08 PM
i think if someone wants 2 judge the quran, he should atleast learn arabic first.

lavikor201
10-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Masjid Al Aqsa was the original site of the alter upon which Abraham was to sacrifice his son.
I thought you all believed that to take place in Saudi Arabia.

Avicenna
10-19-2006, 03:01 AM
Ansar Al-Adl,

Significance? What is the link trying to prove?

The Prophet saws was not travelling in our material universe for Miraaj, he ascended beyond our observable dimension through the Ma'ârij. He was not travelling in 'outer space'!! And the Burâq is unlike any earthly creatures as are its wings.
Can I get more information (detailed) on the creature Buraq?

He didn't. The trip to Al-Aqsa was the isrâ' and the ascension was the miraaj.
Why did he need to do Isra?

Neither were the first. It can be said that Abraham laid the foundations of both, or that Adam and his progeny did. Ibn Al-Jawzî:
"The answer to that is that the mention concerns the first construction and the foundation of the mosque and it is not Abraham who built the Ka`bah for the first time nor is it Solomon who built Bayt al-Maqdis for the first time. Indeed, we have narrated that the first one who built the Ka`bah is Adam. Then his progeny spread out on earth. Therefore, it is possible that one of them built Bayt al-Maqdis. Later, Abraham (re)built the Ka`bah according to the Qur'an."
Regards
I don’t understand how that even addressed my argument. There was clearly a gap of 1040 years, unless you can refute that. Also , what did you mean by “neither did the first?”

Peace.

Woodrow
10-19-2006, 03:49 AM
Greetings Avicenna,

The reference to the link is to cite evidence recently found about quantum physics that indicate it is possible for things to travel faster than the speed of light.

In regards to the other 3 statements I will not attempt to speak for Ansar.

Peace

syilla
10-19-2006, 03:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Allah-creation
i think if someone wants 2 judge the quran, he should atleast learn arabic first.

i agreed...

Ansar Al-'Adl
10-19-2006, 05:12 AM
Significance? What is the link trying to prove?
Quantum mechanics has revolutinized modern science causing us to throw out much of the old conclusions of classical physics. The speed of light is just one issue that has been the subject of much interesting debate in recent years, so it is not correct to simply state that nothing goes faster than the speed of light. Secondly, and in fact more importantly, the miraaj took place outside of our observable universe and is consequently not bound by the physical laws of nature which govern our reality.
Can I get more information (detailed) on the creature Buraq?
The most information that has been authentically reported is that it was a white unearthly creature, smaller than a mule but larger than a donkey, with wings on either of its hind legs. Its name 'Buraaq' comes from 'Barq' which means 'lightning'.
Why did he need to do Isra?
The scholars have mentioned very long lists of benefits, blessings and implications and lessons from the Israa and Mi'raaj, of which are to many to enumerate here; you can refer to some of the books of Sîrah in the link in the lower right hand of my sig. The principal of such reasons is the bestowal of God's favor upon the Prophet Muhammad pbuh and elevating him to a status beyond that of any other created being.
I don’t understand how that even addressed my argument. There was clearly a gap of 1040 years, unless you can refute that.
The gap of 1040 years is between Abraham and Solomon, but as the quotation states, neither of the two (Abraham and Solomon) were the first to lay the foundations or designate the sacred santuary. It can be said that Abraham did both Masjid Al-Haram and Masjid Al-Aqsa, or it can be said that Adam and his immediate progeny did. Either way, the gap is removed.

Regards

afriend
10-19-2006, 02:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by gilani
:sl:

This is replying to Iqram's post...I don't think you should be making comments like that, it wasn't nice...Avicenna didn't take any personal shots or defame anyone personally, so neither should you. I see you have many previous posts and I don't see why you would post somehting like that. This is also against the teachings of Islam and comments like that wont bring anyone closer to accepting Islam.

:w:
Adam

PS
I was referring to the "F" level student comment
format_quote Originally Posted by Allah-creation
Agreed :hiding: :)

lavikor201
10-19-2006, 07:17 PM
think if someone wants 2 judge the quran, he should atleast learn arabic first.
Go to the Comparative Religion section, and you will see plenty of people judging the Torah without knowing Hebrew.

Muslim Knight
10-20-2006, 08:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lavikor201
Go to the Comparative Religion section, and you will see plenty of people judging the Torah without knowing Hebrew.
Also, plenty of people judging Muslims without knowing Islam.

Allah-creation
10-20-2006, 03:32 PM
one word in arabic has many different meaning.

`Abd al-Azeez
10-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Islamic-Awarness has dealt with this issue:

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Qur...rnal/aqsa.html

Prophet Muhammad's Night Journey To Al-Masjid Al-Aqsa - The Farthest Mosque
Muhammad Ghoniem, Mansur Ahmed, Elias Karim, `Abd al-Rahman Robert Squires & M S M Saifullah
© Islamic Awareness, All Rights Reserved.
First Published: 5th February 2001
Last Modified: 8th December 2005

Assalamu `alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu:
1. Introduction
Glory to (Allah) Who did take His Servant for a Journey by night
from the Sacred Mosque to the Farthest Mosque,
whose precincts We did bless,
- in order that We might show him some of Our Signs:
for He is the One Who heareth and seeth (all things). [Qur'an 17:1]

Figure 1: An aerial view of Haram al-Sharif

Many Christian missionaries point to an alleged difficulty concerning the above passage. They claim that :
The Farthest Mosque (Al-Masjid-ul-Aqs-a) was built many years after the death of Muhammad. It is utterly impossible that Muhammad visited it on his Night Journey.
They further add :
The Temple of Solomon had been completely destroyed in 70 AD, i.e. 550 years before the alleged time of the Miraj in 622 AD, the twelfth year of Muhammad's mission. A Temple that didn't exist anymore does not provide any better solution to this problem than a Mosque which wasn't built yet.
Similarly, the Christian apologist `Abdallah `Abd al-Fadi says:
Moreover, the Further [sic!] Mosque was not in existence at the time of Muhammad, but was built about a hundred years after his death! How could he have prayed in it, then, or described its gates and windows?[1]
Firstly, al-Aqsa mosque was built not "about a hundred years" after the death of the Prophet in 11 AH / 632 CE. In 49-50 AH / 670 CE, Bishop Arculfus, a Christian visitor in Jerusalem, reported:
On the famous place where once stood the temple, the Saracens worship at a square house of prayer, which they have built with little art, of boards and large beams on the remains of some ruins...[2]
By the time Bishop Arculfus was in Jerusalem, some 40 years after the death of Prophet Muhammad, the al-Aqsa mosque was already being used as a place of worship by Muslims. Secondly, as usual, the solution to such a "difficulty" lies in part in an elementary knowledge of the Arabic language as well as an understanding of basic Islamic concepts relating to the word "masjid".
2. What Is A Masjid?
We will begin by dealing with the word masjid from both the linguistic and legal points of view. The Arabic word for "mosque" is masjid. Discussing with the word masjid from a linguistic point of view al-Zarkashi says:

Masjid from a linguistic point of view
Linguistically, it comes on the scheme of maf`il with a kasrah [i.e. the 'i' of masjid] which is ism makan [i.e., name of location] for prostration, while with a fathah [i.e., masjad] it is a masdar.
Abu Zakariyya al-Farra' [a famous grammarian] said: Every verb coming on the scheme of fa`ala [in the past form] yaf`ulu [in the present form] like dakhala yadkhulu [which means "to enter"] admits the form maf`al with a fathah as a noun or masdar without distinction like in dakhala madkhalan. There are some nouns that were bound to take a kasrah on the second letter of its root like masjid, matli`, maghrib, mashriq and others, thus making the kasrah a sign of the noun, and some Arabs may say it with a fathah.
Indeed, masjid and masjad, and matli` and matla` were all narrated.
He said: Putting a fathah in all these forms is admissible even if we did not hear it before.
He said in Al-Sihah: Masjad with a fathah refers to one's forehead which is the place involved in prostration.[3]
The Arab grammarians classify masjid as "ism makan", i.e., "name of location"; it indicates the place where an action takes place. Masjid being derived from the root sa-ja-da (to prostrate), it means "place of prostration". Since a place of worship is a place where believers prostrate to God, "masjid" is a general term to designate any place of worship without any religious distinction. Later, this word was used to designate Islamic places of worship in particular, i.e., the mosques.
The Prophet's night journey was from "the inviolable place of worship" (al-Masjid al-Haram) to "the farthest place of worship" (al-Masjid al-Aqsa). The former is certainly located in Makkah, but what about the latter? The reference to Allah blessing its surroundings (... whose precincts We did bless) suggests a location in the "Holy Land" (cf. 21:81; 7:137; 34:18). Neal Robinson states:
The [Muslim] tradition which identifies it [i.e., al-Masjid al-Aqsa] with the Temple Mount in Jerusalem makes admirable sense in view of the fact that the 'place of worship' (masjid) whose destruction is evoked in v. 7 [i.e., 17:7] is clearly the Temple.[4]
This view is also shared by many western scholars.[5]
As it was mentioned earlier that masjid refers to a place of prostration without any religious distinction; an excellent example of the usage of the word "masjid" referring to a non-Islamic sanctuary can be seen in the verse 17:7. The verse describes briefly the destruction of the masjid in Jerusalem (i.e., the Temple) by the enemies of Children of Israel. Allah says in the Qur'an that the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem was a punishment was inflicted upon the Children of Israel for their tyranny and arrogance.
Now that the linguistic issues are clarified, let us now turn to the legal issues (i.e., Islamic Law) concerning the word masjid. Al-Zarkashi says:

Masjid from a legal point of view
From a legal point of view it refers to every place on earth since the Prophet - peace be upon him - said: "The earth was made a masjid for me" which is a particularity of this ummah. This was said by the Qadi `Iyad because the previous nations used not to pray except in the places they were sure of their pureness whereas we were allowed to perform the prayers in any place not known to be impure.[6]
Further he emphasizes:

Since prostration is the most honourable act in prayer because of the nearness of the servant to his Lord, the name of the location was derived from it. This is why we call it masjid [location of sujud / prostration] and not marka` [place of ruku` / inclination].[7]
In summary, masjid from a linguistic point of view means a "place of prostration" without any religious distinction. From a legal point of view the word masjid in shari`ah constitutes every place on earth that is fit for prostration. In other words masjid does not designate a building but only a "place of prostration"; the place may or may not have the building. In support of the argument, we quote hadith #323 in Sahih al-Bukhari that has already been mentioned by al-Zarkashi:

Muhammad Ibn Sinan, i.e., al-`Awqi told us, Hushaym told us; and Sa`id Ibn an-Nadr told me, Hushaym informed us that Sayyar informed us, Yazid, i.e., Ibn Suhayb al-Faqir told us, Jabir Ibn `Abd Allah told us:
The Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "I have been given five things which were not given to any amongst the Prophets before me. These are:
1. Allah made me victorious by awe [by His frightening of my enemies] for a distance of one month's journey.
2. The earth has been made for me [and for my followers] a "masjid" [Arabic: a place for prostration]and a means of purification. Therefore, my followers can pray wherever the time of a prayer is due.
3. The booty has been made halal [lawful] for me [and was not made so for anyone else].
4. Every Prophet used to be sent to his nation exclusively but I have been sent to all mankind.
5. I have been given the right of intercession [on the Day of Resurrection].[8]
So, according to this hadith, any place on the earth is a masjid for Muslims. Therefore, whether there was a building or not when the Prophet made his heavenly trip, it is the location of the "Farthest Mosque" that is intended by the verse and not a building per se because the location where it lies was blessed by God as mentioned in verse 17:1 "the Farthest Mosque, whose precincts We did bless". Therefore, no one can claim that the word "masjid" in the Islamic terminology refers necessarily to a building. Imam Ibn Hajar confirms this opinion in Fath al-Bari (his commentary on Sahih al-Bukhari) :

(the earth has been made for me a "masjid")
means a place for prostration, i.e., prostration is not restricted to any particular place of the earth. It may also be a metaphor of a construction built for prayer. This is due to the fact that once prayer is authorized everywhere on earth it becomes like a mosque for that purpose. Ibn al-Tin said: "The earth has been made for me a masjid and a means of purification" both were given to the Prophet, peace be upon him, while it was only a place for worship for others and was not a means of purification, because Jesus used to walk around and pray whenever prayer was due. Al-Dawudi said likewise before him. It was also said that they [the previous generations] were authorized to perform prayer in places known for sure to be pure, whereas this ummah is authorized to pray anywhere on earth except in the places known for sure to be impure. The strongest opinion is that of al-Khattabi who says that earlier nations were authorized to perform prayer in special places like synagogues and churches. This is confirmed by the wording of the narration of Ibn Shu`ayb "And before me people prayed in their churches." This is a controversial[?] wording but the specificity was established [??]. This is supported by the narration of al-Bazzar from the hadith of Ibn `Abbas similar to the present hadith which includes "Prophets did not pray until they reached their chamber".[9]
Before we close this issue, one should realize that verse 17:1 also speaks of "The Sacred Mosque" which is in Makkah around the Ka`bah. Did a building for the mosque exist there in the time of the Prophet? The answer is that the Ka`bah was there but there was no building for the mosque. This further adds to the argument that the word masjid in this verse refers to a place of performing the prostration and does not imply the presence of a "building" in the modern understanding.
The above understanding of the word masjid as a place of worship not building per se is also well supported by archaeological and historic evidence. Below we present a picture of an early mosque in a place called Besor in Occupied Palestine.[10]

Figure 2: Besor masjid

Figure 3: Besor mosque, The Qiblah
Moshe Sharon comments about the Besor mosque. He says:
To the west of the village on the top of the hill, overlooking the valley and the houses of the village, was the threshing floor, and to the south of it a small open mosque with a rectangular mihrab made of 3 blocks of stones [bottom figure]. The mosque was built to a height of probably two layers of stones, no more than 0.5 m., and was almost square, about 3 x 3 m. and could contain no more than 8-10 men at a time.[11]
There are many other examples of early mosques from Negev region that are nothing but a few stones arranged to mark the mihrab.[12,13]

Figure 4: Mosque at Nahal Oded with the upright stone showing the direction of the qibla.

Figure 5: Mosque at Be'er Karkom with a rounded southward-facing mihrab niche.

Figure 6: Mosque at Har Oded facing south-southeast.

Figure 7: Modern Bedouin open mosque in Transjordan
It is clear from the above pictures that a mosque is simply a place where Muslims prostrate in prayer. It does not need an elaborate building to be called a mosque. The open mosques that we have seen above do exist even today in Middle East and North Africa.
Concerning early mosques, Creswell states:
... their [i.e., Muslims'] architectural resources, before they started in their career of conquest, were barely enough to give expression to their needs. In other words Arabia constituted an almost perfect architectural vacuum... The first mosques in the great hiras, or half nomadic encampments of the conquest, such as Basra, Kufa and Fustat, were primitive in the extreme, and in Syria the first mosques were churches that had been converted or merely divided: In fact there is no reason for believing that any mosque was built as such in Syria until the time of al-Walid (705-15) or possibly `Abd al-Malik (685-705), for over a generation the Arabs remained quite untouched by any architectural ambitions...[14]
It is worth noting that the Prophet disliked extravagance and impressive architecture in buildings, especially mosques. The relative simplicity of early mosques is in fact a historical example of how the Prophet's Companions diligently followed his wishes. This is true to a greater extent even today.
3. Al-Masjid Al-Aqsa: A Place Of Prostration For Jews
The Qur'an refers to al-Aqsa as a masjid, a place of prostration. Was this place used for prostration in early times?
Al-Masjid al-Aqsa and the surrounding area (i.e., Dome of the Rock among others) is usually identified with the place where the Temple of Solomon once stood. Bet ha-Miqdash, as the Temple is usually known in Jewish literature, was primarily a place of assembly for the entire people, for purposes of sacrifice, prayer, and thanksgiving. It is in the prayer ritual that prostrations were performed by the priests. Encyclopaedia Judaica provides an interesting account of the prayer ritual by the priests of the Temple.
The priest who had gathered the coals entered the sanctuary first, scattered them over the incense altar, prostrated himself, and departed. Then the priest who was chosen by lot to offer the incense entered, bearing the pan of incense in his hand. He was accompanied by a priest appointed for this task who instructed him in the proper ritual, and he did not offer it until he was told: "Offer the incense!" The officiating priest waited until the space between the hall and the altar was cleared of people, offered up the incense, prostrated himself, and departed (Tam. 6; Kelim end of ch. 1). During the offering of the incense in the sanctuary, the people used to gather in the azarah for prayer, and even outside the Temple these times were set aside for prayer (cf. Luke 1:10; Judith 9:1). After the departure of the priest who had offered the incense, all the priests filed into the sanctuary, prostrated themselves, and went out again.[15]
It is interesting to note that the Temple was considered as the only place of prostration by some Rabbis and that they would refuse to completely prostrate outside the Temple in Jerusalem.[16]
The Jewish concept of worship has extensive vocabulary, out of which hishtahawah, "to prostrate oneself," is the most frequently used in the Hebrew Bible (86 times).[17]
4. Yet Another Problem!

In the same article, the missionaries express another objection:
In Yusuf Ali's commentary on this verse we read: "The Farthest Mosque must refer to the site of the Temple of Solomon in Jerusalem..." So, it is interpreted to be not the building itself, but only the site, the location where it had been. I might be wrong, but this seems to be contradicted by a hadith and Muhammad's understanding that Al-Masjid-ul-Aqs-a is something that is built, not just a location. Al-Masjid-ul-Haram after all was a building.
Sahih Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 55, Number 636:

Narrated Abu Dhaar:
I said, "O Allah's Apostle! Which mosque was built first?" He replied, "Al-Masjid-ul-Haram." I asked, "Which (was built) next?" He replied, "Al-Masjid-ul-Aqs-a (i.e. Jerusalem)." I asked, "What was the period in between them?" He replied, "Forty (years)." He then added, "Wherever the time for the prayer comes upon you, perform the prayer, for all the earth is a place of worshipping for you."
This hadith actually introduces yet another problem. Abraham supposedly (re)built the Kaaba, (and Abraham lived about 2000 BC) and the Temple was built by Solomon in about 958-951 BC, then Muhammad gave another historically false information based on a major confusion about the time when these people lived.
Firstly, we have already shown that the word masjid does not necessarily refer to a building but rather to a location, i.e., the place of prostration. Secondly, the missionaries try to deceive the readers in the above paragraphs. Indeed, they admit the Islamic opinion that Abraham rebuilt the Ka`bah (it was Adam who built it originally according to the Islamic tradition), but for unjustified reason they overlook the Islamic traditions addressing the construction of the farthest mosque, presumably to generate a "contradiction".
They identify the Farthest Mosque with the Temple of Solomon without further justification, and point out an error that they had invented themselves. Let us for example see what Imam Ibn Hajar says about this hadith in Fath al-Bari:

His saying (40 years)
Ibn al-Jawzi said: It raises a problem since Abraham built the Ka`bah and Solomon built Bayt al-Maqdis [another name of al-Masjid al-Aqsa cf. Hebrew Bet ha-Miqdash] and there are 1,000 years between them. His evidence for saying that it is Solomon - peace be upon him - who built the Farthest Mosque is the narration of al-Nasa'i from the hadith of `Abd Allah Ibn `Amr Ibn al-`As attributed to the Prophet with an authentic isnad that "When Solomon built Bayt al-Maqdis he asked God the Most High for three things etc." and in al-Tabarani from the hadith of Rafi` Ibn `Umayrah that "David - peace be upon him - started building Bayt al-Maqdis but God inspired him: I shall accomplish its building with Solomon" and the hadith has a story. He [Ibn al-Jawzi] said: "The answer to that is that the mention concerns the first construction and the foundation of the mosque and it is not Abraham who built the Ka`bah for the first time nor is it Solomon who built Bayt al-Maqdis for the first time. Indeed, we have narrated that the first one who built the Ka`bah is Adam. Then his progeny spread out on earth. Therefore, it is possible that one of them built Bayt al-Maqdis. Later, Abraham (re)built the Ka`bah according to the Qur'an." Likewise, al-Qurtubi said: The hadith does not indicate that Abraham and Solomon were the first ones to build the two mosques. It was only a renovation of what had been founded by others.[18]
After quoting other opinions, Ibn Hajar insists :

But the possibility mentioned by Ibn al-Jawzi is more pertinent. And I found evidence supporting those who say that it is Adam who founded both mosques. For instance, Ibn Hisham mentioned in "Kitab al-Tijan" that when Adam built the Ka`bah, God ordered him to walk to Bayt al-Maqdis and build it and so he did and offered worship in it. And the construction of the House [Arabic: al-Bayt, i.e., the Ka`bah] is famous and we have mentioned earlier the hadith of `Abd Allah Ibn `Amr that the House was elevated in the time of the flood until God showed Abraham its location. Ibn Abi Hatim narrated from the way of Ma`mar from Qatadah: God founded the House with Adam when he descended. But Adam missed the voices of the Angels and their prayers. Therefore, God told him: I sent down a House around which [people] will revolve like it is revolved around my Throne, so set out to it. Adam set out to Makkah - He had descended in India, and his steps were enlarged until he reached the House and revolved around it. It was also said that when he had prayed at the Ka`bah, he was ordered to set out to Jerusalem where he built a masjid [mosque] and prayed therein so that it became a qiblah to a part of his progeny.[19]
In summary, the verse 17:1 refers to the holy locations in Jerusalem and Makkah because they are blessed regardless of the presence or absence of a building at the time of the heavenly trip of Prophet Muhammad. From an Islamic point of view, evidence has been given by eminent Muslim scholars like Ibn Hajar and Ibn al-Jawzi showing that it was Adam who built both mosques for the first time and that the job of Abraham and Solomon was only a renovation/reconstruction of these sanctuaries.
5. Conclusions
The word masjid from a linguistic point of view refers to a place of prostration without any religious distinction. From a legal point of view the word masjid in shari`ah constitutes every place on earth that is fit for prostration, whether or not it is a building.
The verse 17:1 may very well refer to the holy locations in Jerusalem and Makkah because they are blessed regardless of the presence or absence of a building at the time of the heavenly trip of Prophet Muhammad from Makkah to Jerusalem to the Heavens. From an Islamic point of view, evidence has been given by eminent Muslim scholars like Ibn Hajar and Ibn al-Jawzi who have discussed the issue. They have shown that it was Adam who built both mosques for the first time and that the duty of Abraham and Solomon was only a renovation/reconstruction of these sanctuaries.
And Allah knows best!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.