/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Internet user admits 'web-rage'

sonz
10-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Internet user admits 'web-rage'

An internet user has been found guilty of what police said was Britain's first "web-rage" attack.
Paul Gibbons, 47, tracked down John Jones using details obtained online after the pair exchanged insults in an internet chatroom, a court heard.

He travelled 70 miles to Mr Jones' home in Clacton, Essex, and beat him up with a pickaxe handle in December 2005.

Gibbons, of Southwark, south London, admitted unlawful wounding and will be sentenced on 7 November.

Threatening exchanges

The pair met in an internet chatroom called Yahoo, Islam 10 as both had an interest in the Muslim faith, the Old Bailey was told.

Their exchanges soured after Gibbons accused Mr Jones of spreading rumours about him.

"There was an exchange of views between the victim and the defendant which were threatening on both sides," said prosecutor Ibitayo Adebayo.

Gibbons, a man with a violent past, traced Mr Jones to his home using personal details about himself that he had put online.

Cut with a knife

Gibbons arrived at Mr Jones' home armed and accompanied by another man carrying a machete, the court heard.

Mr Jones, whose partner and three children were in the house, opened the door holding a knife for protection, said Mr Adebayo.

A fight broke out during which Mr Jones was disarmed and beaten with the pickaxe handle and cut with the knife.

Gibbons fled after the victim's partner called for help. Mr Jones suffered cuts to his head, neck and hands.

Identity safety

Det Cons Christopher Creagh, of the Metropolitan Police, said: "This is the first instance of a web-rage attack."

Det Sgt Jean-Marc Bazzoni, of Essex Police, added the case demonstrates the importance of protecting one's identity on the internet.

"Mr Jones had posted pictures of his family on the web and had chatted to Gibbons on an audio link," he said.

"It demonstrates how easily other users can put two and two together and also shows how children could also find themselves in danger."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/6059726.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
akulion
10-19-2006, 02:55 PM
yahoo islam chat is a disgusting place

i used to go there and it was fun and good at one time

but then after 9-11 we got 1000 islam bashers and haters in there who were hacking and attacking people and making threats and also threatning people of tracking them down to beat them up etc etc

so i left because it turned from islam chat to rubish chat

i would not even advise my enemies to go there its that bad lol

Woodrow
10-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Rule 1, do not reveal personal identifying material on the internet.

Rule 2. See rule 1

Pk_#2
10-19-2006, 03:27 PM
AsalamAlaykum,

yahoo's s....

Try wanadoo LOL

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
akulion
10-19-2006, 03:38 PM
pal talk is much better chat since rooms are moderated by one who creates room

Muezzin
10-19-2006, 06:09 PM
The Internet should be banned.

Sarcasm.

Pk_#2
10-19-2006, 06:21 PM
I agree

Sarcasm.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Me too...

Sarcasm.. :D

chacha_jalebi
10-19-2006, 06:43 PM
lol it says they both went to islam chat because they had a interest :p whatever they both probably wanted to take the mick :p lol

but mmmm :p lol never put up personal details :p

MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-19-2006, 06:44 PM
why would u? on dodgy fingz like dat.. no ta!

chacha_jalebi
10-19-2006, 06:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MusLiM 4 LiFe
why would u? on dodgy fingz like dat.. no ta!
lol i wouldnt never :p lol it jus shows the guy was dumb :p if your gona cuss ppl by hidin, bhind a screen :p then make sure you cant be traced down :p

MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-19-2006, 06:46 PM
innit.. wot an idiot :? guy has no common sense..

Ninth_Scribe
10-19-2006, 07:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Rule 1, do not reveal personal identifying material on the internet.

Rule 2. See rule 1
I did try to warn people about the internet. Whatever you say, you should believe because if they are your words, you might have to defend them. Also, it's just plain stupid to use the internet loosely because there is no such thing as security or privacy. Every computer you buy comes with a built-in static IP signature, regardless of whether you use a proxy server or not online. It's way too easy to track and with GPS.. why even bother with the fantasy?

For those of you who still don't get it - consider for a moment how long it took the U.S. government to trace the original email that sparked the Valentine's Day virus? Regardess of the speed that virus travelled, how many servers were infected and so on, they pin-pointed the exact origin in a couple of days! Blows smoke from the fingernails... of course, the government has carte blanche online. They can do whatever they want to now.

Just keep that in mind - you're a lot more face-to-face online than you might have wanted to be... or even expected to be.

Ninth Scribe

MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-19-2006, 08:25 PM
internet is a freaky, weird place.. be careful peopleeee.. like ma IT teach sayz: da internet is a great invention like the telephone, but remember therz always the idiots who ruin it :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.