/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Redo nikkah after spouse reverts??

*noor
10-19-2006, 09:23 PM
:sl:

I have a question and please let me know if you know the answer.

And no this is not based on that thread of the runaway that married a hindu but it did remind me of it. My friend's parents are in this situation.

Here's the situation:

A Muslim woman marries a Christian man. The man reverts to Islam around 2 to 3 years after they get married. They never did nikkah after he reverted to Islam? Are they obliged to do nikkah? Is it haraam to not do the nikkah?

P.S. I don't know if this affects the answer but they have been married for around 20 years now.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
10-19-2006, 09:54 PM
:wasalamex

It is not permissible for a Muslim woman to marry a kaafir, whether he is a Jew, a Christian or anything else, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al‑Mushrikoon (polytheists) till they believe (in Allaah Alone) and verily, a believing slave is better than a (free) Mushrik (idolater), even though he pleases you. Those (Al-Mushrikoon) invite you to the Fire, but Allaah invites (you) to Paradise and forgiveness by His Leave, and makes His Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) clear to mankind that they may remember”

[al-Baqarah 2:221]

“then if you ascertain that they are true believers send them not back to the disbelievers. They are not lawful (wives) for the disbelievers nor are the disbelievers lawful (husbands) for them”

[al-Mumtahanah 60:10]

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The Muslims are unanimously agreed that a kaafir cannot inherit from a Muslim and a kaafir man cannot marry a Muslim woman. End quote from al-Fataawa al-Kubra (3/130).

What the sister of your adoptive father has done by marrying a Christian man is a great wrong, and it is an invalid marriage which must be annulled; it is not permissible for her to stay with this man under any circumstances. She also has to repent to Allaah and beseech Him to forgive her and pardon her.

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...tian%20married

So if that marriage was invalid [because she married a christian], then maybe they should do the nikaah again, now that he's muslim. Allaah Almighty knows best.

*noor
10-19-2006, 09:57 PM
JazaakaAllah brother.

Firdaus
10-21-2006, 02:15 AM
salam bro i agree with brother "fi-sabillillah." tHE couple is compulsory to performNikkah because if they don't do so then they are living in Zinah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.