10-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Ok my friend

'enlighten' me

(and many Hindu's out there!!)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhammad
10-13-2006, 10:08 PM
:sl:

If you haven't done so already, please use the search facility before creating new threads. You will find that there are a few other threads about Hinduism and if you cannot find what you are looking for, perhaps it is better to begin by asking particular questions that you may have so that any discussion arising from this thread can be structured and purposeful.

justahumane
10-14-2006, 07:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hanif_Revert
Ok my friend

'enlighten' me

(any many Hindu's out there!!)

Brother,

U are new to this forum but I m not, I have made it clear already that although I m a hindu, that doesnt means that my religion is hindu. My religiion is humanity which is the only religion of ALLAH/GOD/BHAGVAN, as per my belief.

HIndu is not itself a religion. U cant find the word hindu in any of the book U have known to be hindu religious scripture. Its more than enough proof of my claim that hindu is not a religion.

So what u want to discuess here? plz eleborate.

BTW I m here to discuess about Islamic beliefs, and I must admit that this forum has help me clearing many of misconceptions I had regarding Islam. Still there are many questions left, I hope to put them up before U for suitable answers.

Thanks

faisalxz
10-14-2006, 12:12 PM
read this book, it's not long. If you're a reader, it will take less than a week; even a few days:

(The Islamic fundamental of) Tawheed by Dr Abu Ameenah Bilal Phillips - the book had a black cover, its roughly A5 size.

It is a very comprehensive indisputable compilation of what needs to be known regarding what makes someone a Muslim, and what takes them out of Islam.

And Allaah(glory be to him) knows best

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AvarAllahNoor
10-14-2006, 01:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by justahumane
Brother,

U are new to this forum but I m not, I have made it clear already that although I m a hindu, that doesnt means that my religion is hindu. My religiion is humanity which is the only religion of ALLAH/GOD/BHAGVAN, as per my belief.

HIndu is not itself a religion. U cant find the word hindu in any of the book U have known to be hindu religious scripture. Its more than enough proof of my claim that hindu is not a religion.

So what u want to discuess here? plz eleborate.

BTW I m here to discuess about Islamic beliefs, and I must admit that this forum has help me clearing many of misconceptions I had regarding Islam. Still there are many questions left, I hope to put them up before U for suitable answers.

Thanks
Brotehr many of my posts may seem 'anti hinduism or india' this is in fact untrue. I have nothing against hindus or any other person who follows any religion they choose.

As you are aware Dhan Guru Nanak dev ji too preached what you yourself believe, is this correct?

And can you explain where the thought that Krishan is blue and Durga sits on a lion (or swan) and has six arms. And the other deities. as this to me is a concept very difficult to grasp.

justahumane
10-14-2006, 01:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Brotehr many of my posts may seem 'anti hinduism or india' this is in fact untrue. I have nothing against hindus or any other person who follows any religion they choose.

As you are aware Dhan Guru Nanak dev ji too preached what you yourself believe, is this correct?

And can you explain where the thought that Krishan is blue and Durga sits on a lion (or swan) and has six arms. And the other deities. as this to me is a concept very difficult to grasp.

Brother, although I again emphasize that hinduism is not a religion, yet for comfort of debate, I will use this terminology in religious terms now onwards.

One thing I will love to quote about the beauty of so called hindu religion. From our very childhood, we are taught about the greatness of litrally all important religious figures. Like the holy prophet Mohammad, Jesus Christ, Imam Hasan, and so on and so forth. And Dhan Guru Nanak Dev Ji and other gurus of sikhism are considered our own gods. Or Devtas as we call them. It may irk U, but majority of hindus dont consider sikhism as a seperate religion. But it is considered to be a part of Hinduism itself.

U have rightly said about the Lord Krishna, and Durga, and other deities, its really hard to digest about them. Same happened with me too thats why I chose to say good bye to idol worship and than onwards my belief in one GOD became stronger with the each passing minute.

And ya, I know that Dhan Guru Nanak Dev ji preached what I believe. Stories about HIM have always inspired me.

AvarAllahNoor
10-14-2006, 05:37 PM

And Dhan Guru Nanak Dev Ji and other gurus of sikhism are considered our own gods. Or Devtas as we call them. It may irk U, but majority of hindus dont consider sikhism as a seperate religion. But it is considered to be a part of Hinduism itself.

But hinduism tries to absorb most religions. Bhuddism and Jainsim are seen as part of Hinduism, but Sikhism has falied to fall into the fold im so glad to say:)

BTW - The Guru's are not Gods of any kind, but were prophets of the Lord whom preached nothing but the word of the Lord. Calling them Gods is a insult to their teachings! :)

Because unlike the two i mentioned above, Sikhi do not have many thing s in common with hindusim. - The gurus were not dieties with 6 arms and 10 heads sitting on a cow or bull. - Sikhi came into being becasue of all the fallacies in hinduism and ither religions. Muslims claim Sikhi is part of Islam and go as far as to say we're a martial race of Islam. Yes we have a few things in common with both faiths, but we're distinct in our own right.

justahumane
10-15-2006, 07:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
But hinduism tries to absorb most religions. Bhuddism and Jainsim are seen as part of Hinduism, but Sikhism has falied to fall into the fold im so glad to say:)

BTW - The Guru's are not Gods of any kind, but were prophets of the Lord whom preached nothing but the word of the Lord. Calling them Gods is a insult to their teachings! :)

Because unlike the two i mentioned above, Sikhi do not have many thing s in common with hindusim. - The gurus were not dieties with 6 arms and 10 heads sitting on a cow or bull. - Sikhi came into being becasue of all the fallacies in hinduism and ither religions. Muslims claim Sikhi is part of Islam and go as far as to say we're a martial race of Islam. Yes we have a few things in common with both faiths, but we're distinct in our own right.

Very true brother, hinduism does try to absorb most religions like buddhism and jainism too. I swear my GOD that I dont want to offend U or have an argument with U on this issue, but cant help telling U what I feel is a reality.

Though I too believe that Sikhism is a seperate religion, and it might look further seperated in western countries like Uk and US, still in India U can freely find sikhs visiting the holy shrine of Vashno Devi in Jammu and hindus thronging Gurudwaras in larger numbers for sake of "mattha tekne".

I know very well that Gurus are not God, and neither I said that they are considered God among hindus. U should understand that hindus have one God and a lots of gods, or devatas and devis ;D , they are considered worthy of great respect and often worship also. So gurus too fall in that line of gods among hindus. U can call it funny, but its a fact.

Brother as a firm believer in one GOD and religion of humanity, Every human on face of earth is my brother or sister. So any other religion hardly matters for me. For me all religion are against wishes of GOD, coz it creates division among the creations of same GOD. HE knows best.

Thanks

Hanif_Revert
10-15-2006, 10:45 PM
U should understand that hindus have one God and a lots of gods, or devatas and devis ;D , they are considered worthy of great respect and often worship also. So gurus too fall in that line of gods among hindus.

Brother as a firm believer in one GOD and religion of humanity, Every human on face of earth is my brother or sister. So any other religion hardly matters for me. For me all religion are against wishes of GOD, coz it creates division among the creations of same GOD. HE knows best.
La illaha ill Allah
There is no deity worthy of Worship except Allah!

For Hindu's to say that you have many gods and one god makes no sense to me

Mohsin
10-15-2006, 10:57 PM
La illaha ill Allah

To say that you have many gods and one god makes no sense to me
I totally agree!

justahumane
10-16-2006, 08:33 AM
La illaha ill Allah

To say that you have many gods and one god makes no sense to me
Brother U are so biased that U dont take some time even to read any particular post carefully and jump to conclusions. I too agree that there is no diety worthy of worship except ALLAH/GOD.

And I was describing the belief of Sanatan Dharm (Hinduism as u like it) followers and not myself. So addressing me in ur post doesnt make sense to me even,I expect U to realize and edit ur post.

Thanks.

Mohsin
10-16-2006, 11:37 AM

Brother justahumane, I am very confused reading your posts. So you dont believe in the hindu scriptures and follow them, like we follow the qur'an. So why do you call yourself a hindu?

Zakir Naik once explained that a hindu is someone from india, and is not related to whether he follows a certain religion or not, but just the fact that he i from india, ie it is a geographic label. is this correct, and thus is it why you call yourself a hindu?

PS i just relaised your user njame is meant to same just a human, but it doesnt, perhaps you can get mods to change it, cos u have misspelt human, you have an "e" at the end

:w:

justahumane
10-16-2006, 03:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mohsin

Brother justahumane, I am very confused reading your posts. So you dont believe in the hindu scriptures and follow them, like we follow the qur'an. So why do you call yourself a hindu?

Zakir Naik once explained that a hindu is someone from india, and is not related to whether he follows a certain religion or not, but just the fact that he i from india, ie it is a geographic label. is this correct, and thus is it why you call yourself a hindu?

PS i just relaised your user njame is meant to same just a human, but it doesnt, perhaps you can get mods to change it, cos u have misspelt human, you have an "e" at the end

:w:
Brother I have explained frequently that hinduism is not a religion in itself. And althouth I dont agree with Dr. Zakir Naik on most of issues, but I feel that he is 100% correct when he says that any Indian, can be called hindu. But I must admit that these days hindu is percieved to be a seperate religion.

Let me make it clear once again that I dont believe in polythism and my belief of GOD is very much influenced by that of Islam. With a difference that I dont believe in any prophet/messenger or book/divine laws. Thats it.

And I have spelled my ID intentionally, justahumane......it sounds better to me, therefore I went for this one. So no need to change it.

BTW brother, all scriptures which are percieved to be hindu religious scriptures are not from BHAGVAN, OR GOD. They are written by some humans who thought that they are patrons of religion in their times.

In my views the only hindu/Sanatan Dharma authentic religious scripture is Bhagvat Geeta. which is considered to be the words of BHAGVAN Krishna, or Lord Krishna.

ALLAH KNOWS BEST.

Thanks

Hanif_Revert
10-16-2006, 04:06 PM
Brother U are so biased that U dont take some time even to read any particular post carefully and jump to conclusions. I too agree that there is no diety worthy of worship except ALLAH/GOD.

And I was describing the belief of Sanatan Dharm (Hinduism as u like it) followers and not myself. So addressing me in ur post doesnt make sense to me even,I expect U to realize and edit ur post.

Thanks.
Sorry, i have edited it,
i meant for any Hindu. i meant 'you' in the general term not 'you' personally.

Hanif_Revert
10-16-2006, 04:10 PM
So you just beleive in god. That a start.

So what do you believe of the afterlife?

Do you not believe that Allah ahs given a decree, or does he just wish for us to 'figure it out' on our own?

Trumble
10-16-2006, 09:44 PM
For Hindu's to say that you have many gods and one god makes no sense to me
I would have though saying whether it made sense to them was rather more to the point.

justahumane
10-18-2006, 01:54 PM
So you just beleive in god. That a start.

So what do you believe of the afterlife?

Do you not believe that Allah ahs given a decree, or does he just wish for us to 'figure it out' on our own?
Well I personally dont believe in afterlife.

Yes I dont believe that ALLAH has given us any commands or laws, he has given us enough brain to know that whats right and whats wrong for Us.

Mohsin
10-19-2006, 10:26 PM

Yes I dont believe that ALLAH has given us any commands or laws, he has given us enough brain to know that whats right and whats wrong for Us.
But that leaves it open to interpretation. Either X is permissable or it is not. One perosn using his intelect could say alcohol is not allowed, then another can say according to him it is permissable. now who is right, only one of them is, it cant be right for one perosn and wrong for another. it only makes sense that when god created us he gave us guidelines to live, as he is our god and he wouldnt let us be led astray, he loves us and so sends revelations to us to help us

wilberhum
10-19-2006, 10:32 PM
But that leaves it open to interpretation. Either X is permissable or it is not. One perosn using his intelect could say alcohol is not allowed, then another can say according to him it is permissable. now who is right, only one of them is, it cant be right for one perosn and wrong for another. it only makes sense that when god created us he gave us guidelines to live, as he is our god and he wouldnt let us be led astray, he loves us and so sends revelations to us to help us
Yet there is confusion. Not only between different religions but even within each and every religion. You take a simple example, alcohol. Try a complex one live Aposticy or the vail. You will here many different interpretations.

snakelegs
10-19-2006, 11:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Yet there is confusion. Not only between different religions but even within each and every religion. You take a simple example, alcohol. Try a complex one live Aposticy or the vail. You will here many different interpretations.
even alcohol isn't simple. i've had muslims tell me that the qur'an only says that drinking to intoxication is sinful - not the alcohol itself.
should add that i don't want to cause an argument here - i have no position on the subject.

Mohsin
10-19-2006, 11:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
even alcohol isn't simple. i've had muslims tell me that the qur'an only says that drinking to intoxication is sinful - not the alcohol itself.
should add that i don't want to cause an argument here - i have no position on the subject.
ok bad example, but you get at what i mean, how we need a guide right to show us how to follow and worship god properly. hence why we believe god sent many messengers and revelations

wilberhum
10-19-2006, 11:35 PM
ok bad example, but you get at what i mean, how we need a guide right to show us how to follow and worship god properly. hence why we believe god sent many messengers and revelations
There are almost no good examples. The way to worship god properly? I have no problem. I just say "Hi god, thanks for a good day, thanks for the love of my wife,........" . Do you think god would be offended?
We all believe different thangs. I for one, do not believe god sent any messengers or revelations. But you do, and that's cool.

There is nothing simple or straight forward, when it comes to religion.

snakelegs
10-20-2006, 06:58 AM
well, i think we only have one buddhist and one hindu here right now. but i am interested to know what are the main differences, in your views, between hinduism and buddhism?
the main ones i can think of (and i may be wrong) is that hindus believe in god and buddhists do not. and of course, the caste system...
once trumble commented that hinduism and buddhism have different views on reincarnation - could you elaborate on that and also, could you discuss the concept of karma? (i have a vague idea).
is it true that a long time ago hindus persecuted buddhists and if so, why?
thanks.

north_malaysian
10-20-2006, 07:29 AM
well, i think we only have one buddhist and one hindu here right now. but i am interested to know what are the main differences, in your views, between hinduism and buddhism?
the main ones i can think of (and i may be wrong) is that hindus believe in god and buddhists do not. and of course, the caste system...
once trumble commented that hinduism and buddhism have different views on reincarnation - could you elaborate on that and also, could you discuss the concept of karma? (i have a vague idea).
is it true that a long time ago hindus persecuted buddhists and if so, why?
thanks.
Good thread.... but one thing that I cant consume that Buddhists dont believe in God... Coz Buddhists in Malaysia worship Buddha... Maybe I need some clarification from trumble....

Curaezipirid
10-20-2006, 07:34 AM
true there not much point in learning from either if they ain't got one God: unless they in your debt and your own certainty in Allah is sound as can be.

what is most interesting is that Hindu and Buddhism have been side by side for long now and they are almost completely opposite one another but work in together seamlessly when Allah is within belief of both

north_malaysian
10-20-2006, 07:34 AM
i've had muslims tell me that the qur'an only says that drinking to intoxication is sinful - not the alcohol itself.
Yes... it is.

Muslims can use perfume with alcohol, or pens with ink that contains alcohol... the prohibition is 'to consume anything intoxicated'... FULL STOP!!!:okay:

north_malaysian
10-20-2006, 07:36 AM
I would like to know too ... why Chinese Buddhists different from Thai Buddhists (in practice, rituals, gods)?

Woodrow
10-20-2006, 01:38 PM
My first thought was that this is an improper thread as we are trying to instigate an arguement between 2 religions that we are not a part of. However on second thoughts and seeing that there are so few Buddhists and Hindus here, it probably is appropriate for them to place their views in one thread. although there are few people here that are practising Buddhist, I believe there are a few of us reverts that have to some extent lived as Buddhist. Prior to my reversion to Islam I had lived both as a Christian and as an agnostic. During my agnostic period I did try to live the life of a Buddhist. I did not consider Buddhism to be a religion and still don, t to me it was a simple philosophy of moral attitude. I followed the 5 ethical precepts of Zen, which are:

1. I will be mindful and reverential with all life,
I will not be violent nor will I kill.

2. I will respect the property of others, I will not steal.

3. I will be conscious and loving in my relationships,
I will not give way to lust.

4. I will honor honesty and truth, I will not deceive.

5. I will exercise proper care of my body and mind,
I will not be gluttonous nor abuse intoxicants.

To myself that is what Buddhism was and it did not apply to any particular religion. For myself it was an excellent code for an agnostic to follow.

But that is Zen, I know there are other concepts of Buddhism. Perhaps others can give some input?

snakelegs
10-20-2006, 07:41 PM
woodrow,
when i raised this subject i didn't put it on the existing hinduism thread because i didn't think it was appropriate and that thread looked like it was mainly going to bash hinduism, which is why i started a new thread.
i am sincerely interested in the similarities and differences between buddhism and hinduism - not to trash them, simply to learn.
it is certanly not about instigating an argument between the 2 religions! (there is more than enough arguing going on in this section).
i know a little about both religions (more so buddhism) and would like to know more from hindus and buddhists. we only have 1 of each as far as i know, and i think both are quite capable of mature discussion.
i don't think "comparative religion" should be nothing but endless debates and arguments. i feel we can all benefit from learning as much as we can.

Woodrow
10-21-2006, 02:09 AM
From an academic stand point I too would like to learn more about both of them. My knowledge of Buddhism is pretty much limited to Zen. I have vituraly no knowledge of Hinduism.

I do not want to see either religion bashed. I feel that by having both on the same thread it is much easier to moderate.

snakelegs
10-21-2006, 02:19 AM
o.k. boss.
this section would be a Major Headache to moderate!

Trumble
10-21-2006, 09:09 AM
Sorry, guys.. I will come back sometime over the weekend to try and answer some of this stuff re. Buddhism, anyway; just a tad tied up in the real world at present.

جوري
10-21-2006, 10:03 AM
Can we add Shintoism to this thread? I have recently received a "shrine" from my Japanese pen-pal, for "good luck." ... she told me not to open it. It is the most curious thing...... really want to know what it is all about..... but don't want to open it to inspect its contents, it looks like a shiny brocade envelope. Her English isn't splendid & I don't want to get into a religious chain letter with her for an explanation ... probably be more tedious than chess by mail....
PurestAmbrosia Disclaimer: We don't believe in luck, but we enjoy the Anime.....

justahumane
10-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Brother, I dont bellieve in divine guidelines. I think that ALLAH has given us humans enough mind to sort out whats good and whats bad for them. No divine decree is needed for it. Man made laws are working better for humans rather than so called divine laws, all over the world.

And my belief in no divine laws is strengthened from the fact that no divine laws have practically helped its followers to form a good society for them.

Thanks

raushan
10-22-2006, 11:47 AM

this can be valid if you have to live in this world alone or your acts doesnt affect others.

we are living in a society.

who ll judge?what you think right and wrong
,either you or anyone else or the circumstances which prove whether we were wrong or right.

think twice before allowing everyone to do what he thinks right or wrong.

think abt th e universe not yurself as individual entity.
the codes given in religious books abt human being are in relation with society to maintain peace.

Trumble
10-22-2006, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I would like to know too ... why Chinese Buddhists different from Thai Buddhists (in practice, rituals, gods)?
I'll try and answer that one.

Simply, there is a great amount of variation in Buddhism, and in the two and a half thousand years or so of its existence it has diverged, in places, considerably from the 'original' teachings of the Buddha, at least as far as we know them from the Pali canon; which is as close to 'original' as we have (they were still written some considerable time after the Buddha's death, transmission prior to that being by word of mouth).

Buddhism has been particularly prone to such variation, (or 'corruption' depending on your point of view). One reason is that there has never been any centralized authority that controlled and suppressed the 'wrong' view, such as the Catholic/Roman church in Christianity. The other is that a religion/philosophy it is open to growth. There is no divine revalation, no word of God that must be followed. The Buddha himself's attitude to his teachings was pretty much 'suck-it-and-see'. Over the centuries variation arose as various masters found their own particular path and passed it on to their disciples, who passed it on (maybe with a few additions of their own) themselves. The Buddhism that is 'right' is which works for the individual concerned; each path to enlightenment is unique and the Buddha only pointed the way.

To take a couple of the most well known examples, the Tibetan traditions originated from Indian Buddhism mixed with doses of both Indian tantric traditions and the local religion, the Bon, essentially a form of animism, but even that is divided into two main schools, and that most closely aligned to the Bon effectively died some time ago.

Zen grew in China, although it was founded by an Indian who found his own route to enlightenment; one that concentrated exclusively on meditation and what are now called koans, short and generally nonsensical (in everyday terms) saying meant to shock the mind out if the illusion into which is has settled and to allow direct experience of reality.

As to 'gods' that has to be taken with care, particular in comparison to the Judeo/Christian/Islamic conception of God. Some traditions have incorporporated 'gods' as representations of particular spiritual realities (much the same as the Hindu gods), and are 'worshipped' primarily to gain an insight in to that reality. Others have developed 'popular' routes, acknowledging both that Buddhist philosophy was intellectually beyond much of the population, and the simple reality that not everybody could dump everything to trot off and sit and meditate for years. The best example is probably the 'Pure Land' school in which disciples believe that repetition of a prayer to Amida Buddha will result in rebirth in his 'pure land', from which final enlightenment will be easy to achieve... barely Buddhism at all, but widely popular as it is so simple, and does what is necessary to serve he spiritual need of many people.

Among all that, though, the core principles are still the same, the 'Four Noble Truths' as the Buddha taught them, and the Noble Eightfold Path. The latter will be easily recognisable to all Jews, Christians and muslims; the 'rules' for a spiritual life are always pretty much the same.

The Four Noble Truths

1. Life means suffering.

2. The origin of suffering is attachment.

3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.

4. The path to the cessation of suffering.

The Noble Eightfold Path

Wisdom

1. Right View
2. Right Intention

Ethical Conduct

3. Right Speech
4. Right Action
5. Right Livelihood

Mental Development

6. Right Effort
7. Right Mindfulness
8. Right Concentration

Those are acknowledged by all Buddhists.

north_malaysian
10-30-2006, 02:50 AM
Thanks for infos...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.