/* */

PDA

View Full Version : secret second marriage

nishom
10-23-2006, 09:43 AM
What is the ruling on a Muslim man getting a second marriage secretly, without the knowledge of his first wife?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The Ruler
10-23-2006, 02:33 PM
:sl:

i dont know...but these threads may help

http://www.islamicboard.com/marriage...light=polygamy

:)

:w:

Umar001
10-23-2006, 10:33 PM
Assalamu Aleykum Wa Rhametulah

Well I think a guy can marry for other reasons, like if he has a really strong urge, so maybe one wife cant help him lower his gaze so he gets another.

In a Book named A Concise Manual of Marriage, by Al Allaamah Muhammad Saalih al Uthaymeen and others, it says under The benefits of limiting Multiple Marriages (to the number of four)

Under reason 4, it says:

There are some men who possess strong desire and one [woman] may not be enough, so he protects his chastity, fearing adultery. At the same time, he wishes to fulfill his sexual needs by permissible enjoyment.

Hence, it is from the mercy of Allah, the Most High to the creation that He permitted for them plurality in a safe and sound way.

snakelegs
10-24-2006, 02:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
Well I think a guy can marry for other reasons, like if he has a really strong urge, so maybe one wife cant help him lower his gaze so he gets another.

There are some men who possess strong desire and one [woman] may not be enough, so he protects his chastity, fearing adultery. At the same time, he wishes to fulfill his sexual needs by permissible enjoyment.

Hence, it is from the mercy of Allah, the Most High to the creation that He permitted for them plurality in a safe and sound way.
is there any concept that just maybe a man should learn to control his urges and not be at their mercy?
also, do you think if a guy can not, and his wife would not approve of a second wife, do you think it is ok for him to just disregard her feelings and marry a second wife (for his urges) and keep it a secret from the first one?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ibn Abi Ahmed
10-24-2006, 03:24 AM

Is a second marriage contract valid if the husband did not disclose that he was still married to his first wife?

Question:

I have a question about the marriage. Is a marriage legal when the man keep some important information for himself? When the woman knew about this, she didn't want to marrie him. It's about that the man didn't tell her, that he is still married with another woman.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

The fuqaha’ (may Allaah have mercy on them) have listed some things which give either spouse the right to annul the marriage contract. Among these they mention annulment based on physical defects, in the sense that it is permissible for either the husband or the wife to request annulment of the marriage contract if one of them finds physical defects in the other.

It says in al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah (29/68):

The fuqaha’ of the four madhhabs are agreed that it is permissible to separate the spouses on the grounds of physical defects. End quote.

Not every physical defect that either spouse finds in the other means that it is permissible to annul the marriage, rather the guideline with regard to these faults is that it is that which prevents fulfilment of the purpose of marriage, such as physical pleasure, love, tranquillity, offspring and so on.

Ibn Taymiyah said in al-Ikhtiyaaraat (p. 222): A woman may be rejected because of any physical defect that prevents full physical pleasure. End quote.

Ibn al-Qayyim said: By analogy, every physical defect that puts one spouse off the other, and prevents fulfilment of the purpose of marriage such as compassion and love, results in giving the option of annulling the marriage. End quote.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

The correct view is that there is a guideline on this issue, which is whatever people regard as a physical defect that prevents full physical pleasure, this is a physical defect. Defects with regard to marriage are the same as defects with regard to financial transactions, because both are shortcomings that affect the contract. End quote.

Secondly:

The fact that a man is married to another woman is not a defect for which the marriage contract may be annulled, because the man has the right to marry a second, third and fourth wife, and she does not have the right to demand that the marriage be annulled if he is treating them all fairly.

Shaykh Ibn Jibreen was asked: Is it essential for a marriage to be valid that the man should tell the woman whom he wants to marry that he has another wife, if she does not ask him about that? Are there any consequences if he denies it when asked?

He replied:

The man is not obliged to tell his wife or her family that he is already married if they do not ask him, but that is not usually concealed. Marriage cannot be done except after a period of researching and asking on the part of both spouses, to ensure that they are suited to one another. But it is not permissible to conceal anything. If one party lies and on the basis of that the other party decides to go ahead with the marriage, then the latter is given the choice. If he says that he is not married and he is lying, then she is allowed to have the marriage annulled. If they say that she is a virgin and that is not the case, then he has the choice of going ahead with the marriage or of leaving her. End quote.

Fawaa’id wa Fataawa Tuhimm al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, 114.

Islam Q&A
can you post some sort of evidence to try and back that reason up?
It is common sense. It is better for a man to marry more than one wife that Allah has made lawful upon him then to go out and commit adultery. It is also fact that some men have a stronger sexual desire than other men and Allah has made it lawful upon them to marry more than one wife in order to protect them from adultery.

And since you reject Ahadith, take Quran 4:3 as your evidence and your own common sense. Or will you reject common sense since it isnt mentioned in the Quran?

Umar001
10-24-2006, 03:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
is there any concept that just maybe a man should learn to control his urges and not be at their mercy?
also, do you think if a guy can not, and his wife would not approve of a second wife, do you think it is ok for him to just disregard her feelings and marry a second wife (for his urges) and keep it a secret from the first one?
You see in Islam marriage is built upon Mercy and Love, so out of this mercy I think a husband should tell the wife.

You seem to ask me directly, so I will post my view.

There is, if you read hadeeth which talk about such things, as fasting being a shield and helping to lower the gaze, so a person can control his urges.

also, do you think if a guy can not, and his wife would not approve of a second wife, do you think it is ok for him to just disregard her feelings and marry a second wife
I think your asking me personally, I am not married yet, but inshaAllah soon to be, and the sister I have spoken with would prefer that I do not take a second wife, although I would like to, because I know of alot of sisters who are reverts and looking for husbands, and so forth, but I personally have chosen not to think about marrying again, because I know that the sister I will marry, inshaAllah, will be hurt and I know it will bring about much unhappyness, so in that sense, I think it is upto the husband to be kind and decide, and if in honesty, I mean most nice guys wudnt want to hurt a lady who they have chosen to spend their life with and be mother of their kids, and so forth.

Ansar Al-'Adl
10-24-2006, 04:34 AM
In addition to the other threads reffered earlier, please see the following fatawa:
http://www.islamtoday.com/show_detai...main_cat_id=17

If you have further comments please continue this discussion in the previous threads,

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.