/* */

PDA

View Full Version : jews in the Quran

nishom
10-23-2006, 02:15 PM
The Jews in the Qur'an

Allah's Messenger's wife, Umm Al-Mu'mineen (the Believers' Mother) Safiyyah bint Huyayy - radiallahu 'anha () - was the daughter of one of the Jewish leaders of Madinah. After her conversion to Islam, she informed the Prophet - (SAWS) - when she had first felt the rays of Islam enter her blessed heart. It was the day that Anas - radiallahu 'anhu () - describes as the most radiant day ever came upon al-Madinah - the day Allah's Messenger (SAWS) - entered it.

All the Ansar (Muslims of Madinah) men, women and children gathered to greet him, cheers of praise to Allah filled the air. Amongst the gathering were two men; as much as the Ansar and Muhaajireen (Imigrants to Madinah) revered the Prophet, they despised him. It was the father of Safiyyah - radiallahu 'anha - and her uncle.

She was only a youngster as she looked into the darkness and gloom that had enveloped their faces when they returned home that day. Her Jewish uncle 1400 years ago asked, "Is it him? Is it the Prophet that our scriptures speak of?" Huyayy lowered his head and said, "Yes. It is him." "Then what shall we do?" Safiyyah's uncle continued. Huyayy looked into his eyes, "Till the final day we shall be his bitterest enemies!"

From the very first raka'ah of salat we read the verse in the opening Surah: "Guide us to the straight path - The path of those upon whom You have bestowed favor, not of those who have evoked (Your) anger." (Surah al-Fatiha1:7)

Adiyy ibn Hatim asked Allah's Messenger (SAWS): 'Who it was that evoked Allah's anger?' He said, "It was the Jews." - Tafseer Ibn Katheer

In the opening verses of Surat Al-Baqarah, Allah invites the Children of Israel to come back - to remember the favor and blessing He bestowed upon them - and to fulfill the promise that they would follow the Prophet when he was sent to them. "O Children of Israel, remember My favor that I bestowed upon you and fulfill My covenant upon you that I will fulfill your convenant (from Me) and fear only Me." (Surah al-Baqarah 2:40)

Allah saved them of their slavery to Fir'own "Pharaoh", he saved them from sea and drowned Fir'own and his army. Allah selected them to receive food from the sky. Allah sent them Prophet after Prophet from amongst themselves, and sent the Holy Scriptures - the Towrah (Old Testament) and the Injeel (Gospel).

Allah preferred them over all others at their time. ""...And that I preferred you over the worlds (i.e. people)." ( Surah al-Baqarah 2:47)

How did they reply to these Blessings of Allah?

1. They Followed Only What They Wanted to Follow:

When a Prophet came to them, if what he taught did not appeal to them they either rejected that truth or slit the throat of the Prophet and followed what was appealing to them. "We had already taken the covenant of the Children of Israel and had sent to them Messengers. Whenever there came to them a Messenger with what their souls did not desire, groups (of the Messengers) they denied and another party they killed." (Al Maa'idah 5:70)

We must remember here that this is the Lord of the Universe telling us - in verses to be read till the final day - the deepest secrets that lie in the pits of Judaism. "And who is more truthful than Allah in statement?" (Al Nisaa' 4:87)

2. They Changed the Words of Allah:

There were groups of Jews that would change the words of Allah - adding something here, deleting there - to pound the truth and keep the flock in servitude to what they desired. "And indeed, there is among them a party who alters the Scripture with their tongues so you may think it is from the Scripture, but it is not from the Scripture. And they say: 'This is from Allah,' but it is not from Allah. And they speak untruth about Allah while they know." ('Aal-Imran 3:78)

3. Their claim that they are the beloved children of God:

Ibn Abbas narrates: Nu'maan ibn Aasaa, Bahr ibn 'Amr and Shaas ibn Adee (3 Jews) came to Allah's Messenger (SAWS). He sat with them and invited them to Allah and warned them of Allah's anger. They replied, 'Why are you trying to scare us O Muhammad? By God, we are the children of God and His beloved ones!' At that the verse was revealed: "And the Jews and the Christians say, 'We are the Children of Allah and His beloved.' Say: 'Then why does He punish you for your sins?' Rather, you are humans from among (all the others) that He created." (Al-Maa'idah 5:18) - Ibn katheer 2/36.

4. Their Blasphemous Statements:

There came upon the Jews a time of poverty, so they went to Shaas ibn Qays and questioned him. He said, 'Your Lord is stingy, he never provides.' Allah revealed in the Qur'an: "And the Jews say, 'The hand of Allah is chained.' Chained are their hands and cursed are they for what they say. Rather, both His hands are extended; He spends however He wills.'" (Al-Maa'idah 5:64)

5. Their Murdering of the Prophets:

One of the most horrific sins that they performed was the slaughtering of their Prophets. This was one of the major reasons they were struck with humiliation. "And they were covered with humiliation and poverty and returned with anger from Allah (upon them). That was because they (repeatedly) disbelieved in the signs of Allah and killed the Prophets without right. That was because they disobeyed and were (habitually) transgressing." (Baqarah 2:61)

Not only did they try to kill their Prophets, but they attempted to assassinate the Prophet Muhammad (SAWS) - himself. Allah's Messenger (SAWS) went with some Companions to meet with the Jews of Banu Nadheer. While he waited for them at the side of a building, they climbed the roof with a boulder to crush down upon the head of Allah's Messenger (SAWS). Jibreel (Gabriel) warned him of their plan. He stood up without saying anything, left for Madinah and came back with an army. This was the cause of Banu Nadheer's expulsion from Madinah.

The list goes on
- They did not command the good or forbid the evil,
- they did not accept the ruling of what Allah revealed upon them,
- they disbelieved their book,
- they received food from the heavens but rejected it,
- they challenged their Prophet (Moses) to show them Allah in this life,
- they took Angel Jibreel (Gabriel) as their sworn enemy,
- they took the graves of their Prophets as symbols of worship ...
and the list goes on and on in the Qur'an and Sunnah.

Muslims Should Avoid the Wrong Ways of the Jews:

There are some verses in the Qur'an that spoke about those that do not judge by what Allah has decreed as transgressors. Some students of Ibn Abbas - radiallahu 'anhu - asked him, "Were these not revealed for the Jews and Christians?" He said, "Subhan Allah! Are all the glad tidings in the Qur'an for us and all the admonitions for them? If we do what they did, our end will be their end."

Allah's Messenger (SAWS) said, ""You will follow the wrong ways, of your predecessors so completely and literally that if they should go into the hole of a lizard, you too will go there." We said, 'O Allah's Apostle! Do you mean the Jews and the Christians?' He replied, "Whom else?" (Bukhari)

In conclusion, a fundamental part of our religion is Al-Wala' and Al-Bara' (wala' - love and loyalty / Bara' hatred and disownment). It would be profitable for us to reflect on the implementation of our Wala' and Bara' in regards to the Jews.

Firstly: We should not take them as our close allies:

Allah commands us in the Qur'an: "O you who have believed, do not take the Jews and the Christians as allies. They are allies of one another. And whoever is an ally to them among you - then indeed, he is one of them. Indeed Allah does not guide the wrongdoing people." (Ma'idah 5:51)

Secondly: We should not Imitate them:

The forbiddance of imitating the Jews and the Christians applies to those things that have become icons of their customs and falsehood. So for example, if someone wore a white collar on his neck, everyone would assume he was Christian. This is because the white collar has become a symbol of theirs. The ruling is more general than just clothes. Allah's Messenger (SAWS) said: "Act differently than the Jews." (Abu Dawood)

Thirdly: A Muslimah (Muslim woman) may never marry a Jewish or Christian man that remains on his beliefs:

Allah declares in the Qur'an: "They are not (i.e. the Muslim women) lawful wives for them, nor are they lawful (husbands) for them." (Mumtahinah 60:10)

Is all this a death sentence on the Jews?

Nay, Allah's infinite Mercy has left the gate open for anyone who wishes to come back to Him. "And if only the People of the Scripture had believed and feared Allah, We would have removed from them their misdeeds and admitted them to joyful Gardens." (Ma'idah 5:65)

O Allah guide us to the straight path - the path of those who You have bestowed favor, not of those who have evoked (Your) anger, nor of those that went astray.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
duskiness
10-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Jew's in New Testament:

I speak the truth in Christ—I am not lying, my conscience confirms it in the Holy Spirit— I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, those of my own race, the people of Israel. Theirs is the adoption as sons; theirs the divine glory, the covenants, the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises. Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of Christ, who is God over all, forever praised
Romans 9; 1-5
Brothers, my heart's desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved. For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge.
Romans 10; 1-2
I ask then: Did God reject his people? By no means! I am an Israelite myself, a descendant of Abraham, from the tribe of Benjamin. God did not reject his people, whom he foreknew.
Romans 11; 1-2
I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in. And so all Israel will be saved
Romans 11; 25-26
As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies on your account; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, for God's gifts and his call are irrevocable
Romans 27-28

lavikor201
10-23-2006, 06:45 PM
I'm sorry to let you know that non of our scriptures contain anything about your religions. :p

duskiness
10-23-2006, 06:53 PM
LOL...you are changing the subject Lavikor! We have "Jews in Quran", "Jews in New Testament" and now we should have "Jews in Tanakh" ;) and then we may proceede to "Jews in Bhagavad Gita" :giggling:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.