/* */

PDA

View Full Version : On this day many years ago...

lavikor201
10-23-2006, 08:39 PM
On this day: The last of 16,000 Jews (1% of England's entire population) left England in the expulsion of 1290 by King Edward I. Jews were not permitted to enter England for the next 365 years until the edict was revoked by Oliver Cromwell in 1655.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
10-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Interesting fact. The history of Europe in regards to its persecution of the Jewish people is long and depressing. What "reasoning" did King Edward I use for this action? Was it another case of the Jews being scapegoated as the enemy when times are tough?

mohammed farah
10-30-2006, 01:53 AM
nope because they were the main threat to christianity back then

Keltoi
10-30-2006, 07:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mohammed farah
nope because they were the main threat to christianity back then
How were Jews a "threat" to Christianity?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
mohammed farah
10-30-2006, 09:02 PM
sorry my bad i tought i heard that from somewhere. this was the reason

To help finance his war to conquer Wales, Edward I taxed the Jewish moneylenders. However, the cost of Edward's ambitions soon drained the money-lenders dry. When the Jews could no longer pay, the state accused them of disloyalty. Already restricted to a limited number of occupations, Edward furthermore abolished their right to lend money at interest with the Statute of Jewry, 1275, [1] and eventually restricted their extra-curricular movements and activities. This Statute also decreed ..."that each Jew after he shall be seven years old, shall wear a badge on his outer garmet that is to say in the form of two tablets joined of yellow fait {felt} of the length of six inches and the breadth of three inches."

In the course of King Edward's persecution of the Jews, he arrested all the heads of Jewish households. The authorities took over 300 of them to the Tower of London and executed them, while killing others in their homes. Finally, in 1290, the King banished all Jews from the country, by the Edict of Expulsion.

wilberhum
10-30-2006, 10:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
How were Jews a "threat" to Christianity?
The same logic Saudi Arabia uses against all non-Muslims.
But as in all complex situations, there are not simple answers.

afriend
10-30-2006, 10:37 PM
urm...I beg your pardon.....

If Saudi Arabia has the same values...There wouldn't be a single non Muslims in that country right now...But actually they have many jewish settlements outside the 2 holy cities, which is very reasonable.

wilberhum
10-30-2006, 10:38 PM
which is very reasonable
Thanks for verifying my point.

afriend
10-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Well, think about it....The place is sacred.

What would a non Muslim want there anyway?

wilberhum
10-30-2006, 10:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
Well, think about it....The place is sacred.

What would a non Muslim want there anyway?
Why do non-Catholics go to the Vatican? :hiding: :hiding:

afriend
10-30-2006, 10:54 PM
I don't know, you tell me?

Even I could go there and nobody would mind, that's great! And that's their rule that it can be open to anybody. But the rule for the 2 sacred cities is that none but muslims can enter it. That's the rule, we must learn to respect that rule. They also have restrictions of even muslims visiting these lands. (I think once you have done pilgrimage, you can;t go for another...I think 4 or 5 years).

Besides the point, this is nothing to do with Islam, it is the rule of the government there, and it is only common sense that we obey the rules of the land, if you don't like it, leave.

If I'm not mistaken, after the conquest of Makkah, there were still many non Muslims residing in Makkah. And even throughout the Prophet's(PBUH) life time in Madinah, there were Non Muslims there.

I guess the laws of the land have changed. But Laws of every land change from time to time. We need to learn to cope with these changes.

Peace.

جوري
10-30-2006, 10:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Why do non-Catholics go to the Vatican? :hiding: :hiding:
Good for tourism and the art is fantastic... not much worship going on!

afriend
10-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Yes, good point.

The 2 holy cities are not a tourist destination. It is solely for the worship of Allah.

wilberhum
10-30-2006, 11:04 PM
But the rule for the 2 sacred cities is that none but muslims can enter it.
Thanks again for verifying my point.
Enough said, at least by me.

afriend
10-30-2006, 11:05 PM
And what is your point?

Please do clearify, I'm extremely stupid. Being a Muslim and all.

wilberhum
10-30-2006, 11:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
And what is your point?

Please do clearify, I'm extremely stupid. Being a Muslim and all.
Again:
My point has been made. If you don't understand, read again.
If you still don't understand, I can't help you.
I will reply no more.

afriend
10-30-2006, 11:25 PM
is this due to the fact you have no solid foundation to stand on?

I do not require a reply.

*charisma*
10-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Thanks again for verifying my point.
Why do non-Catholics go to the Vatican?
You'd go strictly for tourism. Considering that it is a Muslim only city, yet still allowing nonmuslims to reside outside of the cities shows enough tolerability towards those with other faiths.

For a non-muslim to enter into a place like makkah..how much respect would you show??

First of all, some nonmuslim women and men would feel that because it's hot they should be able to wear whatever they want (specifically speaking about showing tha awrah parts of the body), thats disrespect for those who are going to a place for purification. Secondly, if it were open for tourism purposes, considering the huge mass of muslims that go there every year, there just isn't enough room for people who aren't going there for religious purposes. Enough people have died already just getting through the huge crowds, if nonmuslims did, then what kind of image would that portray for the west and will it be considered as a 'safe' place for tourism??

Those are probably the only 2 cities that are actually preserving the Islamic religion the way it is supposed to be. There is no need for it to become the tourist attraction of the world like other cities.

My point has been made. If you don't understand, read again.
If you still don't understand, I can't help you.
I will reply no more.
I will clear it up: You have no point

peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.