/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 'Couple divoced in sleep'

glo
10-23-2006, 09:44 PM
Can anybody tell me whether this is a true story??? :?
(It's old news, as you can see ...)

A Muslim couple in West Bengal have been told by local Islamic leaders they must separate after the husband "divorced" his wife in his sleep.
Sohela Ansari told friends that her husband Aftab had uttered the word "talaq", or divorce, three times in his sleep.

When local Islamic leaders got to hear, they said Aftab's words constituted a divorce under an Islamic procedure known as "triple talaq". The couple, married for 11 years with three children, were told they had to split.
Full story: http://www.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=64996

Peace

glo

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
10-23-2006, 09:52 PM
It seems to be a true story. But, I believe it is necessary to read the last 2 paragraphs of the full story.

"
This is a totally unnecessary controversy and the local 'community leaders' or whosoever has said it are totally ignorant of Islamic law," said Zafarul-Islam Khan, an Islamic scholar and editor of The Milli Gazette.

"The law clearly says any action under compulsion or in a state of intoxication has no effect. The case of someone uttering something while asleep falls under this category and will have no impact whatsoever," said Khan.

glo
10-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks Woodrow.

It just seemed strange to me, that this should even be an issue for discussion. :?
Imagine what this family must have gone through. Somewhere (I don't know if it was in this article or another one), I seem to remember reading that the couple refused to separate ...
Yay! :D

Peace

Woodrow
10-23-2006, 10:09 PM
I suspect the story was published because the headline would sell papers. Sadly like many stories many people probably did not read beyond the headline. Was the story newsworthy, I don't think so, but I suspect it sold a lot of papers

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.