/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Blessings on Various Occaisions - Questions

snakelegs
10-25-2006, 05:09 AM
i know that in judaism there are many blessings to be said on doing or seeing many things - on bread, on wine, on water, on eating fruit, on seeing lightening or hearing thunder - even a blessing is said when you receive bad news.
i like this custom because it brings god in to your life as you go about your daily business because you are always reminded of him.
my question is do muslims and christians have any similar concept?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Joe98
10-25-2006, 06:33 AM
I always thought blessings were a Christian concept but I suppose they inherited the concept from the Jews.

AvarAllahNoor
10-25-2006, 07:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i know that in judaism there are many blessings to be said on doing or seeing many things - on bread, on wine, on water, on eating fruit, on seeing lightening or hearing thunder - even a blessing is said when you receive bad news.
i like this custom because it brings god in to your life as you go about your daily business because you are always reminded of him.
my question is do muslims and christians have any similar concept?
I know you've directed this question only to Muslims and Christians, but i thought i'd stick my nose in and explain what us Sikhs do.....:)

We do a 'Ardas' (comes from a persian word) and before we do anything it's like a supplication made before the Lord.

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php?title=Ardas

snakelegs
10-25-2006, 08:23 AM
i should have included sikhs. thanks for the link.
it isn't exactly like the jewish concept, but it is cool:
"the basic purpose of this prayer is an appeal to Waheguru for his protection and care, a plea for the welfare and prosperity of all mankind, and a means for the Sikhs to thank Waheguru for all that he has done.

The power that this single prayer possesses is astonishing. Starting with "pritham bhagautee simar kai, Gur Nanak laee dhiaa-e phir Angad gur tay Amardaas, Raamdaasai hoee sahaee and ending with Naanak naam charhdee kalaa, tayray bhaanay Sarbaht dah Phahla. The ardas encompasses so many Sikh and Humanistic values. It is more than just a prayer; it is a new concept of therapy for the elevation of the human spirit, mind and body. Following are the main features and benefits of Ardas:

It is a petition to God, the merciful creator of the universe
It lowers ones ego and brings calmness to the mental state
Teaches one Nimrata Humility, Daya Compassion, fearlessness, Chardi Kala
One is reminded of the level of dedication required to become a better human being
Gives one inner strength and energy
Links the mind with the pure ones from human history
Elevates ones spiritual state; builds ones confidence
Brings a sense of "community" to the person. "

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
duskiness
10-25-2006, 10:45 AM
i don't think we don't have set of rules when and how to bless...
many Christians bless their meals (catholics additionally have special blessing for easter meal). Many bless those who are leaving (adieu/adios means " with God")
In Poland some make sign of cross when they see cross, enter a car, hear that someone passed away. We also make cross on bread before slicing it.
Priests are invited to bless new buildings.

you may find some blessing here, here (click on the left...), here (multifaith), here (multifaith meals blessings) and catholic blessings
or you may look for blessings on worldprayers

May the God of the misty dawn waken you,
May the God of the rising sun stir you up,
May the God of morning sky send you on your way,
May the God of noon-day stillness renew your strength,
May the God of afternoon bring you home,
May the God of sunset delight your eye,
May the God of twilight calm your nerves,
And may the God of dusk bring you peace.
And may God bless you,
The rising and the setting sun,
The Alpha and the Omega,
The Beginning and the end,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
(that's Irish)

- Qatada -
10-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Hi snakelegs.

We usually mention praise and thank Allaah whenever we do any action in our life to show our gratefulness to the Creator who blessed us with everything we have. We also pray to Allaah at times of hardship.

You can see some of the supplications here:

http://muttaqun.com/supplications.html

Peace.

AvarAllahNoor
10-25-2006, 02:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i should have included sikhs. thanks for the link.
it isn't exactly like the jewish concept, but it is cool:
"the basic purpose of this prayer is an appeal to Waheguru for his protection and care, a plea for the welfare and prosperity of all mankind, and a means for the Sikhs to thank Waheguru for all that he has done.

The power that this single prayer possesses is astonishing. Starting with "pritham bhagautee simar kai, Gur Nanak laee dhiaa-e phir Angad gur tay Amardaas, Raamdaasai hoee sahaee and ending with Naanak naam charhdee kalaa, tayray bhaanay Sarbaht dah Phahla. The ardas encompasses so many Sikh and Humanistic values. It is more than just a prayer; it is a new concept of therapy for the elevation of the human spirit, mind and body. Following are the main features and benefits of Ardas:

It is a petition to God, the merciful creator of the universe
It lowers ones ego and brings calmness to the mental state
Teaches one Nimrata Humility, Daya Compassion, fearlessness, Chardi Kala
One is reminded of the level of dedication required to become a better human being
Gives one inner strength and energy
Links the mind with the pure ones from human history
Elevates ones spiritual state; builds ones confidence
Brings a sense of "community" to the person. "
Well all the above is not repeated. You start off with the first bit then fit it accordingly with what you're asking God to be blessed.

E.G A new car, you'd ask God to bless it by adding this on after the 'DHian Dar Ke Bolo'

snakelegs
10-25-2006, 07:16 PM
duskiness,
some of the ones from the ncrlc site come close.
Fi_Sabilillah - these come very close and are very similar in concept. the jews, like muslims, (from your link) also have a blessing for going to the bathroom.
here are a few of the jewish ones:
http://home.comcast.net/~judaism/Sid....htm#occasions
i have an old jewish prayer book i just came across recently, and remembered this beautiful custom. it helps keep you aware of god - i guess it's a form of zikr. anyway, it's cool.

lavikor201
10-25-2006, 10:05 PM
I say them all the time. You memorize them after a while.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.