:wasalamex

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umm Yoosuf
10-26-2006, 09:08 AM
Wa Alaikumusslaam Wa Rahmatulaahi Wa Barakatuh

The Inevitable Journey Part 5: The Dreamer's Handbook
By Muhammad Mustafa al-Jibaly.

Description

This book starts by presenting a spiritual understanding of sleep from the Islamic viewpoint, which is followed by guidelines for recommended evening, pre-sleep, night, and morning acts of worship. The conceptual understanding of dreams is laid out next, followed by an analytical study of dreams in the Quran, and of dreams seen by the Prophet Muhammad and by his companions. The rest of the book deals with dream interpretation, its correct rules and procedures, drills to help understand these rules, and a large glossary of interpreted dream symbols. This, we hope, fulfills two important goals regarding sleep and dreams: It establishes their understanding upon the strong foundation of the Quran and Sunnah, and it eliminates a great deal of superstition that surrounds them. Indeed, from Allah alone we seek help and acceptance.

Pk_#2
10-26-2006, 09:44 AM
AsalamuAlaykum,

jazakhala :) heh

Ummu Sufyaan
09-25-2007, 11:01 AM
:sl:
muhammed ibn sirin (he was a tabi3ee). And it's called "The interpretation of dreams.' published by Dar al-Taqwa LTD. isbn 1-870582-08-X

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
09-25-2007, 11:03 AM
:salamext:

ye i think the muhammad ibn sireen one is the best one

Malaikah
09-25-2007, 12:06 PM

Beware of any book on dreams attributed to Muhammad ibn Sireen!

Ibn Sireen NEVER wrote a book about dream interpretation! The book was written by someone else, and falsely attributed to him. this book is filled with false narrations, blatant fabrications and even fake stuff that is based in shirk (such as astrology and so called lucky days of the week).

While Ibn Sireen was very well known for his dream interpretation, he never wrote a book!

Please beware of anything attributed to him.

IbnAbdulHakim
09-25-2007, 01:51 PM
^ where'd u get thsi from :ooh:

MinAhlilHadeeth
09-25-2007, 01:57 PM

I've read that book, sis Malaikah. Some really strange things in there like dreaming about sodomy and incest, and it's interpretted in positive ways. SubhanAllah, it's quite disturbing. I also read/heard that there are false narrations in that book that are attributed to Imaam Ibn Sireen rahimullah.

IbnAbdulHakim
09-25-2007, 01:58 PM
^ ok but heard from where? :?

MinAhlilHadeeth
09-25-2007, 02:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
If I could remember I would tell you. Perhaps sis Malaikah can be of assistance.

Isambard
09-25-2007, 03:02 PM
How can someone write a book for dream interpretation?

Dreams tend to symbolize different things for different ppl dependant on your culture, life expierences, and opinions.

Itd be like me writting a book about how everyone's expierence of cheesecake is the same.

MinAhlilHadeeth
09-25-2007, 03:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Isambard
How can someone write a book for dream interpretation?

Dreams tend to symbolize different things for different ppl dependant on your culture, life expierences, and opinions.

Itd be like me writting a book about how everyone's expierence of cheesecake is the same.
Greetings,

The Prophet sallAllahu 'alayhi wa sallam said,

“Dreams are of three types: some are terrifying things from the Shaytaan, aimed at causing grief to the son of Adam; some are things that a person is concerned with when he is awake, so he sees them in his dreams; and some are a part of the forty-six parts of Prophecy.”

(Saheeh Sunan Ibn Maajah, 3155)

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Dreams are of three types: glad tidings from Allaah, what is on a person’s mind, and frightening dreams from the Shaytaan. If any of you sees a dream that he likes, let him tell others of it if he wishes, but if he sees something that he dislikes, he should not tell anyone about it, and he should get up and pray.”

(Saheeh Sunan Ibn Maajah, 3154)

So when a Muslim seeks to interpret a dream, they wish to know which category their dream falls under. And if the dream falls under 'gad tidings from Allah' what the exact meaning is.

Perhaps the following fatwa might explain the matter more clearly:
http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=25768&ln=eng&txt

Isambard
09-25-2007, 03:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Muwahhidah
Greetings,

The Prophet sallAllahu 'alayhi wa sallam said,

“Dreams are of three types: some are terrifying things from the Shaytaan, aimed at causing grief to the son of Adam; some are things that a person is concerned with when he is awake, so he sees them in his dreams; and some are a part of the forty-six parts of Prophecy.”

(Saheeh Sunan Ibn Maajah, 3155)

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Dreams are of three types: glad tidings from Allaah, what is on a person’s mind, and frightening dreams from the Shaytaan. If any of you sees a dream that he likes, let him tell others of it if he wishes, but if he sees something that he dislikes, he should not tell anyone about it, and he should get up and pray.”

(Saheeh Sunan Ibn Maajah, 3154)

So when a Muslim seeks to interpret a dream, they wish to know which category their dream falls under. And if the dream falls under 'gad tidings from Allah' what the exact meaning is.

Perhaps the following fatwa might explain the matter more clearly:
http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=25768&ln=eng&txt
But the difference is entirely man-made. I can have a "bad" dream because I feel guilty about something I ahve done. In that case, is it really Ibliss or is it my subconscience?

What about dreams that dont seem to mean anything or that have elements of all 3?

That said, the same image can mean different things for different ppl. Ie. someone who wants a pet spider and dreams of having one would consider it a good dream and attribute it to Allah, while someone who whos afraid of them and has a similar dream would attribute it to Ibliss.

Where do you draw distinctions?

Isambard
09-25-2007, 03:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Actually, this kind of thing is taken into account by professional Islamic dream interpreters.

AFAIK, dream interpretation is more of a gift, rather done something you learn. They need to look at your life, how you live it, what you ate before you dreamt, etc...before they come out with an interpretation.

It's not a stock, one scenario-fits-all, kind of interpretation that they give.

Having said that, I'm guessing that if you look for an interpretation from a book, it might list a set of dream-scenarios, which might have a common meaning? Not sure though...
If thats tru, how can there be books written about such a subjective subject?

Ibn Al Aqwa
09-25-2007, 04:26 PM
yeh people are usually gifted with it....

and some objects/animals do symolize a certain thing...dream interpretation is a lot of logic though....

for example...if you a a nice cottage on the peak of a mountain (strange example i know^o) ) then that is a bad sign, because they dont go together...nice cottage on a snowy mountain..i hope you know what im getting a.

a better example might be that if you see yourself holding a spear or sword, that could mean that you will weild power...sometimes it is not always the obvious meaning, people may thing that seeing a sword means murder...

and seeing teeth could be interpreted as your family...

a lot of it is taken from the Qura'an.

format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
yeh i herad this as well, from a lecture, ill give you the link if you want. the lecture was on drean interpretations....

and im not sure if it is completely false...Ibn Sireen (ra) is widely renouned as one of the top scholars of the interpretation...

i think that some of it is his work, but i think it was compliled by another person maybe...because a lot of it does make sense ( the book "he wrote")

I hope this helps a bit :)

Muhammad
09-25-2007, 05:23 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Beware of any book on dreams attributed to Muhammad ibn Sireen!

Ibn Sireen NEVER wrote a book about dream interpretation! The book was written by someone else, and falsely attributed to him.
I've also read this, and you can find it written in the introduction of a book called 'Dream Interpretation According to the Qur'aan and Sunnah' by Dr. Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips published by Dar Al Fatah:

http://www.simplyislam.co.uk/iteminfo.asp?Item=52711

Malaikah
09-25-2007, 11:39 PM

Yep, I found it in the introduction to Bilal Philips book. I also found it on islamqa. I would find a link for you, but my internet is going ridiculously slow.

Also the book by Bilal Philips is really good.

Just a note- you can't interpret dreams using a book, only a qualified person can do it. The books are just there to give us knowledge about what is involved etc. (as far as I know anyway).

Isambard
09-26-2007, 12:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
I'm not sure...

It might be the fact that if you see something specific, the interpretation is true in all cases.

It might be that it's only true if a precondition is applied to it. For example:

If you see a snake, it means you have an enemy.

But with the precondition that you pray 5 times, it might mean something different.

Maybe the books list out possible meanings, for common dream-scenarios, whilst also giving a set of preconditions...whereby, differing interpertations are given, for when different preconditions are met?
There are so many variables thou given all the different cultures of the world not to mention cultures themselves evolves. Something seen as threatning before may no longer be perceived as such.

Using your snake example, it might be seen as threatning if you come from the west, but if you are from a rural area of South America, it may be seen as a blessing (some natives worship them).

Is the only difference between these dream interpreter books and the countless others that they are written by muslims?

Ummu Sufyaan
09-26-2007, 03:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

Yep, I found it in the introduction to Bilal Philips book. I also found it on islamqa. I would find a link for you, but my internet is going ridiculously slow.

Also the book by Bilal Philips is really good.

Just a note- you can't interpret dreams using a book, only a qualified person can do it. The books are just there to give us knowledge about what is involved etc. (as far as I know anyway).
jazakallahu khair sis. can someone please find me a link to the book.

Re.TiReD
10-01-2007, 01:27 PM

I would NOT advise anybody to get hooked onto checking what their dreams mean, it will ultimately lead to paranoia, only that will happen what Allah wills. Wallahu A'lam :w:

NoName55
10-01-2007, 06:08 PM

Only a person who has the following qualifications is authorised to interpret dreams:

1) HE MUST HAVE ADEQUATE KNOWLEDGE OF THE TAFSEER OF THE QUR'AAN

2) HE MUST BE A HAFIDH OF AHADEETH

3) MUST BE WELL VERSED IN THE ARABIC LANGUAGE

4) MUST BE FAMILIAR WITH THE ROOTS OF WORDS SO THAT HE KNOWS WHERE THEY ARE DERIVED FROM

5) MUST BE FAMILIAR WITH THE NATURE AND STATUS OF PEOPLE

6) MUST BE FAMILIAR WITH THE BASIC PRINCIPLES OF TA'BEER OR INTERPRETATION

7) HE MUST POSSESS A PURE AND CLEAN SOUL

8) MUST BE A MAN WITH SOUND MORALITY

9) MUST BE HONEST IN SPEECH AND CONDUCT

(Dreams and interpretations by Muhamad Bin Sireen)

Although...on a final note- i woud NOT advise anybody to get hooked onto checking what their dreams mean, it will ultimately lead to paranoia, only that will happen what Allah wills. Wallahu A'lam :w:
NOT a great post,
2) HE MUST BE A HAFIDH OF AHADEETH
how many people do you know that are Hafiz (by memory alone) of Ahadith?

Quraan is memorizable because it is designed like a chain so that it can be protected
(Dreams and interpretations by Muhamad Bin Sireen)
where? http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...tml#post834536

Umm Yoosuf
10-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaahi Wa Barakatuh,

Some books on dream interpretation contain lies and misconceptions. They attirbute to the Prophet, the sahabah, and the 'ulimah, false dreams and interpretations. Their interpretations are unrealistic, unfounded, and in discord with acceptable rules of dream interpretation that we establish in this book. A noteworthy example is "Ibn Sirin's Dictionary of Dream Interpretation", which mixes truth with falshood and attributes that to Ibn Sirin what he did not say. We advice the reader to avoid that and other unsibstaintiated dream interpretation books and dsctionaries.

Source: The Dreamers Handbook, Sleep etiquttes & Dream interpretation in light of the Sunnah by Muhammad Mustafa al-Jibaly page 253

And at-Tuwayjiri said:

"Many books of dream interpretation, attributed to Ibn Sirin and other authors, have been published. There is no benefit in studying or searching in these books, because they would confuse the thoughts, and may bring worry and distress to those who see unpleasent dreams. Futhermore, some of those who have no knolwedge of dream interpretation may make themselves authorities of dream interpretation according to these books, arriving at conclusions that are contrary to the correct ones, and fabricating lies through their ingnorance."

Ar-Ru'ya, p. 169-170.

Source: The Dreamers Handbook, Sleep etiquttes & Dream interpretation in light of the Sunnah by Muhammad Mustafa al-Jibaly page 294

Re.TiReD
10-03-2007, 01:03 PM
:salamext: my apologies, may Allah guide us all to the path of Haq, Ameen

imranali
10-05-2007, 12:25 AM
A Salaam U Akaikum!

Here is a link which may help you guys, http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/...Islam/id/52705
Regards

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.