/* */

PDA

View Full Version : smells

united
10-28-2006, 06:10 PM
sometimes i go a bit misty-eyed about the wonders that Allah has created and so the other day i remarked to my brother:
"food is a necessity, yet isnt it amazing that Allah has made it so tasty and made it smell so nice?"
to which my brother replied:
"getting rid of waste is also a necessity..."
:cry:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The Ruler
10-28-2006, 06:13 PM
:sl:

:lol: it doesnt smell nice so our body get rid of it innit :)....now that is a sort of a wonder...it doesnt smell nice, isnt nice at all...and thus our body gets rid of it :)

:w:

Sum-Muslim-Gal
10-28-2006, 06:17 PM

thats why we should be happy with everything that is provided for us either good or bad at the end of the day it all has reasons for it..:D and Allah[swt] is our provider praises to him alone..:D

afriend
10-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Hillarious I tell you!

Anything that goes inside your body smells...But have you ever wondered that Usually, the smells never really eminate dominantly....And I did highlight 'usually'.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IzakHalevas
10-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Interesting thought, what is even a more complex thought is why do some feel that a smell is nice while others feel it is bad? What part of our body/psyce determines this?

united
10-28-2006, 06:27 PM
it reminded me of a story i read in maarif mathnavi.
it was about lust and how bodily forms are nothing more than what will end up as waste.

afriend
10-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Interesting thought, what is even a more complex thought is why do some feel that a smell is nice while others feel it is bad? What part of our body/psyce determines this?
I think genetics play this role, our genes are never the same as eachother. Although some may have certain differences and similarities.

The Ruler
10-28-2006, 06:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
I think genetics play this role, our genes are never the same as eachother. Although some may have certain differences and similarities.

i think that your vision and hearing plays a main part in that not genetics :)

afriend
10-28-2006, 06:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by +*Glacier*+

i think that your vision and hearing plays a main part in that not genetics :)

really?

vision and hearing, perhaps I should look into it.

united
10-28-2006, 06:31 PM
the smell is associated with something dirty therefore our brain classes it as a bad smell.

The Ruler
10-28-2006, 06:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by united
the smell is associated with something dirty therefore our brain classes it as a bad smell.
yes and you're brain wouldnt know if its dirty or not unless you see it or you hear something...if something looks good, it smells good...so its kinda like jumping into conclusion, i can say that its upto the persons choice really...and that isnt inherited..thats usually influenced by the society :)

afriend
10-28-2006, 06:35 PM
To put a stop to my geekyness I will now turn into a child again :p (finally ;D)

But thats news 2 me :ooh: I always thought it was genes that make you the way you are

united
10-28-2006, 06:36 PM
its both.

The Ruler
10-28-2006, 06:38 PM
But thats news 2 me :ooh: I always thought it was genes that make you the way you are
joka :p

yes genes play a major part in the making of you're physical body...the phenotype thingamajig...and at certain times, you're abilities...but things like a person's choice is entirely environmental :)...its like genes have no effect whatsoever on how you think or you're opinions :)

Muhammad
10-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Greetings,

format_quote Originally Posted by IzakHalevas
I think our brain is what decodes the stimulus known as smell, but as for why certain smells are liked by some and disliked by others, I think it is a similar concept to why we each have our unique preferences of food, colours, sounds and everything else!

And whatsoever He has created for you on this earth of varying colours [and qualities from vegetation and fruits, etc. (botanical life) and from animal (zoological life)]. Verily! In this is a sign for people who remember. [Qur'an, 16:13]

It is He Who sends down water (rain) from the sky, and with it We bring forth vegetation of all kinds, and out of it We bring forth green stalks, from which We bring forth thick clustered grain. And out of the datepalm and its spathe come forth clusters of dates hanging low and near, and gardens of grapes, olives and pomegranates, each similar (in kind) yet different (in variety and taste). Look at their fruits when they begin to bear, and the ripeness thereof. Verily! In these things there are signs for people who believe. [Qur'an, 6:99]

IbnAbdulHakim
10-28-2006, 06:40 PM
^ whoohoooaahh!!! this is why i love these mods man, learnin new dawah techniques everyday :D

The Ruler
10-28-2006, 06:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
Greetings,

I think our brain is what decodes the stimulus known as smell, but as for why certain smells are liked by some and disliked by others, I think it is a similar concept to why we each have our unique preferences of food, colours, sounds and everything else!

that i exactly what i was trying to say...but i was kinda carried away...sorry...it must be too much science getting to me :heated:

- Qatada -
10-28-2006, 06:52 PM
:salamext:

Realise that Allaah Almighty has made this a world of good and bad, so if something good happens - something bad might come out of it, or if theres something bad, something good might come out of it.

You know why this might be? Because you realise that this world is a testing ground, and the good you get, it might have negative consequences, and the bad you get might have positive consequences. So you get a taste of the afterlife in a minor way.

For example, if you eat food (which may be good) - you notice the consequences of waste. (which might be bad)

Also, you might get hurt (which might seem bad) but your sins get forgiven (which is good.)

So because this world is kind of neutral, you notice the effects of bad (so you try to avoid bad, because you taste how punishment can be.

And if you do good, you also realise the concept of happiness.

Therefore if we strive to do good, we realise the happiness which will last forever in jannah/paradise (for example a person will eat all they want there and not have to go the bathroom.)

And the opposite extreme of that is that the people in hellfire will keep getting punished, and no positive effect's will come from that.

So whatever good we get in this world, we should thank Allaah (say Alhamdulillah [praise be to Allah] etc.) because we realise that happiness is a sign of the dwellers of jannah/paradise.

And whenever something bad happens to us, we should seek refuge in Allaah (audhubillah) because feeling regretful, sad may be a form of Allaah forgiving our sins, and protecting us from the hellfire.

Allaah Almighty know's best.

united
10-28-2006, 06:57 PM
i get it
its an equilibrium.
good/bad
have a tough life/ have an easy one hereafter
enjoy good food/ get rid of smelly waste
that it?

- Qatada -
10-28-2006, 07:00 PM

You experience both good and bad in this world.

But in the afterlife, you can only face one of those two extremes - either pure pleasure in jannah, or pure punishment in hellfire.

The things we face (either good/bad) in this world, we can reflect on them to realise how good or bad the hereafter is.

IbnAbdulHakim
10-28-2006, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
The things we face (either good/bad) in this world, we can reflect on them to realise how good or bad the hereafter is.
and even then we wont come any close, not the greatest physical torture or mental anguish can compare. gettin stabbed simultaneously (how do u spell that :?) while hooks slowly move up and down within your flesh or havin all your family members in hospitol with the worst diseases can compare.

subhanAllah, i cant believe a thread called "smells" is making me contemplate this much... subhanAllah....

- Qatada -
10-28-2006, 07:08 PM

Yeah, this world is just like a mini taster init.. like the fire of this world is only 1/70 of the fire in the afterlife.. but same way we cant imagine the pleasures of jannah, but we know what happiness is.

united
10-28-2006, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
and even then we wont come any close, not the greatest physical torture or mental anguish can compare. gettin stabbed simultaneously (how do u spell that :?) while hooks slowly move up and down within your flesh or havin all your family members in hospitol with the worst diseases can compare.

subhanAllah, i cant believe a thread called "smells" is making me contemplate this much... subhanAllah....
me neither
In the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the alternation of night and day, there are signs for men of understanding,- They remember God while standing, sitting, and on their sides, and they reflect upon the creation of the heavens and the earth: "Our Lord, You did not create all this in vain. Be You glorified. Save us from the retribution of Hell. (3:190-191)

snakelegs
10-28-2006, 08:47 PM
the jews have a special prayer for going to the bathroom praising god for making our "orifices" because we would die without them.
i think that's kinda cool.

afriend
10-28-2006, 08:51 PM
So do we...lol

IbnAbdulHakim
10-28-2006, 09:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
the jews have a special prayer for going to the bathroom praising god for making our "orifices" because we would die without them.
i think that's kinda cool.
yes we ask for forgiveness and protection when entering and leaving the toilet :D

snakelegs
10-28-2006, 09:05 PM
So do we...lol
yes - i just learned this the other day from a link Fi_Sabilillah posted.
but it's different.

Before Entering the Toilet

[Bismillahi] Allahumma inna 'audhu bika minal khubthi wal khabaa'ith.

[By the Name of Allah]. Oh Allah, I seek protection in You from unclean spirits, male and female. [Abu Dawud 4/264, Ahmad 2/389]

After Leaving the Toilet

Ghufraanak(a).

I seek Your forgiveness.

Hadith - Al-Tirmidhi, Narrated 'Aisha, r.a.

When Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him) came out from the privy, he said: (I seek) forgiveness from Thee. [Transmitted by Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and Darimi]
http://muttaqun.com/supplications.html
i like the idea of saying blessings over specific things throughout the day - keeps a person aware of god.

IbnAbdulHakim
10-28-2006, 09:10 PM
^ yes lol thats what we do and our intention is just that, to remember God :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!