/* */

PDA

View Full Version : one, little, silly question

duskiness
10-29-2006, 09:17 PM
If i remember correctly Muslims don't celebrate birthdays. So you don't wish each other "Happy birthday", right?
So is it allowed to say "Happy birthday" to non Muslim?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-29-2006, 09:20 PM
its not a silly question!

i do say happi bday 2 ma non muslim mates, i dnt c anythin rong wid dat, cuz dey celebrate it.. but hey das juz me :D not lyk it means anythin 2 me :S

Helena
10-29-2006, 09:21 PM
am asking a silly quest...is it ur birthday by any chance?

Kittygyal
10-29-2006, 09:23 PM
salam.
well my Aalimah said it isn't right to say "Happy b'day or merry christmas" because it's still like a sighn of celebrating even tho with a phrase like saying "merry christmas" is bad because why can't muslim give merry christmas cards to a non-muslim because it's like celebrating && satan is happy when we do that!
well Allah knows best
w.salam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-29-2006, 09:29 PM
ohhhhhh oki fair enuff i didnt kno dt

duskiness
10-29-2006, 09:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HAJI_HELENA
am asking a silly quest...is it ur birthday by any chance?
no, no...don't worry :) I'm summer child

snakelegs
10-29-2006, 09:34 PM
i've wondered about this before - why don't muslims celebrate birthdays? is it religious or just limitted to some muslims from specific cultures?

Kittygyal
10-29-2006, 09:35 PM
salam.
it's bad Ukthi it's bad for muslims to celebrate inshallah i will pick up a hadith on this once my internet gets better inshallah, until then let someone else explain (only if i had me Aalimah right next to me here :p)
w.salam

*noor
10-29-2006, 09:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i've wondered about this before - why don't muslims celebrate birthdays? is it religious or just limitted to some muslims from specific cultures?

i think that it's simply because birthday celebrations originated from pagans

duskiness
10-29-2006, 09:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salam.
well my Aalimah said it isn't right to say "Happy b'day or merry christmas"
good that you mentioned that...that's will make question a bit wider...
So can you say "happy birthday" or "marry Christmas"??
as far as i can see, by now answer is "no"

glo
10-29-2006, 09:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
I think it's to do with the perception that our earthly life is really of little importance, compared to the after-life.

And that birthdays are not important enough to celebrate.
Only Allah is worthy of praise and celebration.
I don't think the Qu'ran advises to celebrate birthdays.

I have a feeling though, that some people recognise Muhammed's birthday ... but I could be wrong ...

*noor
10-29-2006, 09:39 PM
refer to this thread

http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...ies-began.html

learningislam
10-29-2006, 09:41 PM
Hi duskiness,

A member posted this in another thread

format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
Celebrating birthdays is not allowed

Question:

what is the evidence on celebrating birthdays,is it allowed in islam?

Answer:

The evidence in the Qur’aan and Sunnah indicates that celebrating birthdays is a kind of bid’ah or innovation in religion, which has no basis in the pure sharee’ah. It is not permitted to accept invitations to birthday celebrations, because this involves supporting and encouraging bid’ah. Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Or have they partners with Allaah (false gods) who have instituted for them a religion which Allaah has not allowed…?” [al-Shoora 42:21]

“Then We have put you (O Muhammad) on a plain way of (Our) commandment. So follow that, and follow not the desires of those who know not. Verily, they can avail you nothing against Allaah (if He wants to puish you). Verily, the zaalimoon (wrongdoers) are awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) to one another, but Allaah is the Wali (Protector, Helper) of the muttaqoon (pious).” [al-Jaathiyah 45:18-19]

“Follow what has been sent down unto you from your Lord, and follow not any awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) besides Him. Little do you remember!” [al-A’raaf 7:3]

According to saheeh reports, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does something that is a not part of this matter of ours (i.e., Islam) will have it rejected” (reported by Muslim in his Saheeh); and “The best of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The most evil of things are those which have been newly invented (in religion), and every innovation is a going astray.” There are many other ahaadeeth that convey the same meaning.

Besides being bid’ah and having no basis in sharee’ah, these birthday celebrations also involve imitation of the Jews and Christians in their birthday celebrations. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, warning us against following their ways and traditions: “You would follow the ways of those who came before you step by step, to such an extent that if they were to enter a lizard’s hole, you would enter it too.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, (do you mean) the Jews and Christians?” He said, “Who else?” (Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 1/115

source: http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...g&txt=birthday
http://www.islamicboard.com/cyber-co...y-wishing.html

Peace

MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-29-2006, 09:41 PM
yeh datz y.. its originated by da paganz..

http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...ting+birthdays

The_Dude
10-29-2006, 09:46 PM
:sl:

correct me if im wrong but muslims shouldnt celebrate their birthdays because it is as though you are celebrating your death, the more older u get the more closer you are to death, so y celebrate jus cuz u getin older and near ur death bed, allah hu alam :D salaam

Kittygyal
10-29-2006, 09:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by duskiness
good that you mentioned that...that's will make question a bit wider...
So can you say "happy birthday" or "marry Christmas"??
as far as i can see, by now answer is "no"
salam.
if we as muslims can't celebrate something why take action && say it, it's still bad as celebrating it, because this is like celebrating because when i was a christain i used to celebrate christimas, && i have got muslims friends they never used to say to me "merry christmas Jodie" NEVER this is because it's as bad as celebrating it because it's still the same as you would actually celebrate. the answer is NO, No christmas, No Halowwen, No bonfire (thats what many peeps say), No Easter, No Happy B'days
w.salam

duskiness
10-29-2006, 09:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
the answer is NO, No christmas, No Halowwen, No bonfire (thats what many peeps say), No Easter, No Happy B'days
w.salam
Thanks Kittygyal, i got my answer :)

Kittygyal
10-29-2006, 09:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by duskiness
Thanks Kittygyal, i got my answer :)
salam.
my Pleasure dearest Ukthi :wub:
w.salam

MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-29-2006, 09:59 PM
i dnt say merry xmas anywayz ^o)

Kittygyal
10-29-2006, 10:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MusLiM 4 LiFe
i dnt say merry xmas anywayz ^o)
salam.
&&& who said you did :uuh: lol well all good then but remember not to say "B'day because that is Bi'dah
w.salam

MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-29-2006, 10:02 PM
il try 2 keep dt in ma mind :$:$

MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-29-2006, 10:03 PM
but whtz rong wid 2words dat mean nuttin?

*noor
10-29-2006, 10:04 PM
that they mean nothing to you

why would you say them if they meant nothing to you

Kittygyal
10-29-2006, 10:05 PM
salam.
Ukthi you don't get it, if it's bad to say "merry christmas" && we can't celebrate it && also we can't celebrate "b'days" then WHY should we say "happy b'day" if it's wrong to actually celebrate it! think sis it doesn't matter if it's one word the matter is it's a very big sinn to act upon
w.salam

MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-29-2006, 10:07 PM
oki den fair enuf.. i wud say it cuz a dunno.. il stp sayn it :D

snakelegs
10-29-2006, 10:32 PM
thanks for all the answers as to why muslims don't celebrate birthdays.

Malaikah
10-30-2006, 08:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I have a feeling though, that some people recognise Muhammed's birthday ... but I could be wrong ...
Yes some people do this, out of ignorance. It is not allowed to celebrate the prophets birthday- to do so is an innovation.

Also, I dont know if someone mentioned this already, but celebrating birthdays is forbidden mainly because it involves mindless imitations of the non-muslims.

The Ruler
10-30-2006, 07:20 PM
:sl:

you know...if i tell that to my non-muslim friends they would get put off islam...but i was thinking...that if it is revealed after a person converts or something...it is easier to accept innit...

argh that wasnt related but hey...my thoughts :D

:w:

niler
10-02-2007, 07:36 PM
i know of a prophetic hadith that goz lyk:

MAN TASHABBAHA BIQAWMIN FAHUWA MINHU
meaning,WHOEVER IMITATES A PEOPLE IS AMONG THEM

AS MUSLIMS EVERYTHING WE DO SHUD NOT RESEMBLE WAT THE NON MUSLIMS DO.OUR DRESS CODE, OUR CELEBRATIONS,EATING MANNERS.. ETC

THE PROPHET ALSO NEVER CELEBRATED BIRTHDAYS AND HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH B.DAYS.

MA ALLAH GUIDE US TO WAT IS RIGHT

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.