/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Halloween and Christianity

Helena
10-30-2006, 09:11 AM
:sl:

well i always wonder and think.............

jus thinking.....hope it dsnt sound silly?.....but is their connection between halloween and christianity? is it appropriate to celebrate this day?

wots the purpose? dse this day represent something significant? is it linked with modern pagan? dse paganism still exist?

the reason am asking the above questions coz i was watching this programme on BBC....but am still unclear?......

wots the reason behind this day?.....

and others are welcome to answer the above questions inshalah....hope am not offending anyone inshalah...slightly confused...i apologise before hand....

:w: :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pk_#2
10-30-2006, 10:17 AM
AsalamuAlaykum,

i thought it was sumin made up!

AvarAllahNoor
10-30-2006, 11:03 AM
The term Halloween, and its older spelling Hallowe'en, is shortened from All-hallow-even, as it is the evening before "All Hallows' Day'' (also known as "All Saints' Day"). In Ireland, the name was All Hallows' Eve (often shortened to Hallow Eve), and though seldom used today, it is still a well-accepted label. The holiday was a day of religious festivities in various northern European Pagan traditions, until Pope Gregory III moved the old Christian feast of All Saints Day to November 1 to give Halloween a Christian interpretation . Halloween is also called Pooky Night in some parts of Ireland, presumably named after the púca, a mischievous spirit.

Halloween is often associated with the occult. Many European cultural traditions hold that Halloween is one of the liminal times of the year when the spiritual world can make contact with the physical world and when magic is most potent (e.g. Catalan mythology about witches, Irish tales of the Sídhe).

AbdulHassanAmir
10-30-2006, 11:43 AM
Halloween in the United States is not religous. Its a day to celebrate the harvest (thats what it was originally). I studied halloween in school, I think its more of a national holiday now.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Maimunah
10-30-2006, 12:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tasmiyah_B
:rollseyes woah!
never knew that too:uuh:

AvarAllahNoor
10-30-2006, 02:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tasmiyah_B
:rollseyes woah!
Yup, i'm a fountain of knowledge....;D

MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-30-2006, 02:17 PM
lolll i didnt kno dat :rollseyes

^more like u juz copied and pasted it 4rm da net hehe lol

haloween annoys me so bad, dese lil anoyin kidz cumn 2 ur door, ur like go away weirdoz ^o)

Muezzin
10-30-2006, 02:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Yup, i'm a fountain of knowledge....;D
So is Google. :p

AvarAllahNoor
10-30-2006, 02:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
So is Google. :p
Yes, i supply them with my knowledge too...and wikipedia....:D !

The Ruler
10-30-2006, 06:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Yes, i supply them with my knowledge too...and wikipedia....:D !
u supple? :uuh: how much o you get in return :?

lol but yeah that was good info :)

format_quote Originally Posted by abdulnhassanamir
I think its more of a national holiday now.
wish it was :mmokay:

:w:

north_malaysian
10-31-2006, 03:16 AM
Can anyone tell me that what's the origin of halloween? Is it has something to do with Christianity?

glo
10-31-2006, 03:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Can anyone tell me that what's the origin of halloween? Is it has something to do with Christianity?
Look here: http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...ight=halloween

Especially look out for AvarAllahNoor's impressive post, giving a good explanation! :)

Peace

north_malaysian
10-31-2006, 03:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Look here: http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...ight=halloween

Especially look out for AvarAllahNoor's impressive post, giving a good explanation! :)

Peace
thanks for the thread...

then... what is All Saints' Day?

snakelegs
10-31-2006, 06:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AbdulHassanAmir
Halloween in the United States is not religous. Its a day to celebrate the harvest (thats what it was originally). I studied halloween in school, I think its more of a national holiday now.
i think you are thinking of thanksgiving. that is the harvest festival and it is a national holiday.
halloween has become more of just a fun thing for kids, tho i think in the Never Ending Quest for More Consumers that now They've gotten adults to buy customs and stuff too.

جوري
10-31-2006, 09:53 AM
Hmmmmmmmn. fancy! I always thought it a pagan holiday-- who knew?
thanks for link

A_Witness
10-31-2006, 10:37 AM
I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link to an article I posted on my website. If I'm not then I'm sure a mod will remove it and reprove me.

http://www.beaconoftruth.com/halloween.htm

It is one of many pagan holydays (called holidays) which the mainstream "Christian Church" has adopted in the quest to assimilate pagans into the "Church". This fits with the practice of Gaius Flavius Valerius Aurelius Constantinus, commonly known as Constantine the Great who adulterated the Christian faith with pagan practice. This is why the Roman Catholic Church prays to statues, venerates Mary as a goddess, worships the Pope as if he were God himself...

I will say no more as this is a sore point with me.:grumbling

Other than that I have no strong feelings on the subject.

Muhammad
10-31-2006, 02:37 PM

Threads merged.

mohammed farah
10-31-2006, 02:45 PM
does anyone find hallowen the most annoyingst day of the year, i hate it so much cos they come to your house every 2 minutes begging for sweets while celebrating the saytan and i know people who also live in non muslim country would undertand :heated: :heated: :grumbling :grumbling

glo
10-31-2006, 02:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mohammed farah
does anyone find hallowen the most annoyingst day of the year, i hate it so much cos they come to your house every 2 minutes begging for sweets while celebrating the saytan and i know people who also live in non muslim country would undertand :heated: :heated: :grumbling :grumbling
It's not so bad here where I live. No trick-and-treaters so far at all. There may be after school ends, but we put a no-trick-and-treaters sign in the window, turn the front door light off and don't answer the door ...

It'll all be over tomorrow ... :rollseyes

Aisha20
10-31-2006, 03:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
we put a no-trick-and-treaters sign in the window, turn the front door light off and don't answer the door ...
lol

in my country we dont see pples asking for sweets... SOME ppls do halloween partys n thats all (cuz at school, they teach abt halloween n why its bad :D )
so, i dont get bothered abt it ;D

mohammed farah
10-31-2006, 03:12 PM
but if you dont answer the door they would chick eggs its traditional in england apparently and i dont have time chasing people

جوري
10-31-2006, 04:04 PM
you should plaster a large sponge to the door that has holes big enough to catch those eggs, and at the end of the day thank the buffons and make an omlette lol.......

I really enjoy this time of year, the leaves change into every possible color, the wind is cool and crisp, the sun is not too harsh..... I love Autumn... undoubtedly my favorite season....

Ninth_Scribe
10-31-2006, 05:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
thanks for the thread...

then... what is All Saints' Day?
There are religious ceremonies and then there are customs and traditions. They sometimes blend nicely together. This is one such blending.

Ninth Scribe

A_Witness
10-31-2006, 09:30 PM
All Saints Day is an invention of the Roman Catholich Church which was moved to November 1st to assimilate more pagans into the "Church".

There is a very good, very well researched book by the Rev. Alexander Hislop titled "The Two Babylons" http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/2babindx.htm which exposes the pagan practices of the "Roman Church" and traces them back to Nimrod.

If I could make one thing clear (though nearly one billion Catholics would take issue with it): The Roman Catholic Church does not represent the teachings of the Messiah (call him Jesus if you like) but has corrupted the teachings for the sake of political power.

For the record, Christian worship on the day of the "Sun god" (Sunday) was likewise a pagan import at the direction of Constantine who even honored this pagan diety on his coins, Sol Invictus (the invincible sun).

I try to practice my faith without the adulteration which has crept in for more than a thousand years. You can probably see why I am in perennial contention with my Christian "Brethren".

This has led to my having great respect for those who practice Islam. Although I believe that Yahushua (called "Jesus" by most) is the Son of God and has allowed me an opportunity to escape Hell, I believe that those who practice the Islamic faith adhere more closly to the teachings of your Prophet than my "Brethren" adhere to theirs.

I am in the minority and am hated for the sake of the Truth.

May it be so.

Fishman
10-31-2006, 09:41 PM
I don't think any religion has much respect for Hallow'een. To Christians, Muslims and Jews it's a celebration of the devil, to Marxists (and most other people) it's a capitalist scam, and I don't know what the others think of it.

north_malaysian
11-01-2006, 04:26 AM
Yesterday morning on national radio, an American expat was saying:

"I'm so surprised that no one celebrate Halloween here in Malaysia"

I was like, "Hello!!! this is not America!!":giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

But it's celebrated in all nightclubs nationwide...

stannis
11-06-2006, 03:06 PM
Halloween, a mass-marketed and therefore trivialised festival in most countries, originated in my home country Ireland as the ancient Celtic pagan rite of Samhain. Samhain had a much deeper meaning - respect for the souls of the dead - than "Halloween" does. There is much ignorance about this subject, among many non-Muslims too.

does anyone find hallowen the most annoyingst day of the year, i hate it so much cos they come to your house every 2 minutes begging for sweets while celebrating the saytan and i know people who also live in non muslim country would undertand
Celtic pagan =/= Satanic.

جوري
11-06-2006, 03:38 PM
Sometimes people are unable to differentiate between culture and religion and so they mix the two in hopes of remaining comfortable with old rituals...
I have always enjoyed the Scottish poem
"The Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond"

Which describes the souls going to the under world to find their way back to Scotland -- you can see however if a person laces old beliefs with monotheistic religion -- how problems would arise down the line? People start taking idolatries or accepting certain beliefs or rituals as religion and forgetting about God...Haloween is really no different!

stannis
11-06-2006, 03:41 PM
I try to practice my faith without the adulteration which has crept in for more than a thousand years. You can probably see why I am in perennial contention with my Christian "Brethren".
I am sorry you feel so much ill-will towards Catholics. It's sad that more extreme types of Protestant do that.

Protestant, Catholic or Orthodox, we are all Christians, but some people cannot see that. :cry:

duskiness
11-06-2006, 09:13 PM
i think it was too quick assumption to say that A_Witness is a Protestant...
We are all in the end one in Him. Even if we sometimes fall short of love to each other.

yours sister in Christ (whatever denomination you belong to..) :)

A_Witness
11-07-2006, 12:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by stannis
I am sorry you feel so much ill-will towards Catholics. It's sad that more extreme types of Protestant do that.

Protestant, Catholic or Orthodox, we are all Christians, but some people cannot see that. :cry:

I bear no ill will towards Catholics. I do however lament the fact that paganism has crept into what is still called Christianity. Christianity is based upon the faith practiced by Abraham Isaac and Jacob (called Israel). That much of that paganism entered through the “Roman Church” is documented.

Nowhere was the Law (sometimes called the Law of Moses) cancelled. Nowhere are we called to venerate men, whether they be “Pastors”, apostles, prophets or “Popes”. Nowhere are we given to option of eating “unclean” foods. Nowhere are we given the option of changing the Sabbath to Sun(god)day. Nowhere are we called to celebrate “holidays” having pagan roots, such as are called “Halloween”, “Easter” and “Christmas”. Nowhere are we called to kill our enemies nor hate those with whom we have differences.

The essence of what I hope to say is that Christianity, as practiced in the modern world, has been corrupted by “traditions of men”. It is more a commercial venture than anything. The “Protestant” wing is no more righteous than the “Catholic” wing.

The Protestant faction complains rightly that there are a number of traditional practices in what is called Catholicism, which are not supported by and which are in opposition to the teachings of the Bible. They then adopt other traditions which are equally heretical (when viewed in the light of the scriptures), some (not all) of which have come from Roman Catholicism, refusing to consider the hypocrisy of their stance because of tradition.

The truth has gone “underground” in America because it is not welcomed by the majority of “practicing Christians”.

No “Pope”, no “Pastor” nor any “organized” religion died for me. Our Savior had no denomination.

In essence, what is taught in the Bible is not practiced by the mass of “Christendom”. It is difficult to bear a true witness for my faith in the face of more than 1,000 years of excesses and abuses in the name of Christ. It is even harder when such abuses and excesses are not separated from us by the passage of time but consolidated by the practices of the present.

If there is any ill will on my part, it would be towards the “leaders” who have hijacked the faith for their own selfish purposes. This includes the leaders of all “factions” of Christianity. They claim to have superior knowledge and they shall have the greater condemnation on the Day of Reckoning.

If there were a way to express this in a softer way I would do so, but the truth demands that it be made plain. I will bear witness to this apostasy as long as I can still draw breath. I believe that should I not do so, that the blood of those to whom I would not testify would be upon my head.

Revelation 18:4 states: "And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues."

I see this passage as clearly speaking of American Christians, who are about to see this "Christian nation" be judged.

stannis
11-07-2006, 11:41 AM
An interesting post. I shouldn't have assumed you were Protestant, although by what you said earlier I thought you were.

Which Protestant practises do you view as heretical?

A_Witness
11-08-2006, 02:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by stannis
An interesting post. I shouldn't have assumed you were Protestant, although by what you said earlier I thought you were.
And honest mistake and if one were to "play the odds" it would usually be a safe assumption!

As far as which Protestant practises I view as heretical, if I had to single out only a few I would have to say that those practices associated with the observance of "Easter" (which is connected to sun worship) are perhaps the greatest. You can find an essay which sums up my belief on this at http://www.beaconoftruth.com/ishtar.htm

I am amazed that many Christians say that Islam is "moon god worship" (which has been refuted quite nicely elsewhere in this forum) and will then participate in "Sunrise Services" on the "Easter" (Ishtar-Astarte etc.) "holiday" and defend the practice despite the overwhelming evidence of its pagan origins.

Not to get off topic but after worshipping the sun, they then have pig for breakfast. I used to eat pig, believing that it was OK and bought into the arguments that it was somehow sanctioned by Christ's new covenant with us. Even though this made no sense, I allowed myself to be brainwashed.

All the arguments as to why it was not good never struck me as they should have as I was born in a pig eating culture (you can't go to a restaurant in America and order a "breakfast special" which does not offer pig meat as part of the offering) and all the health arguments bounced right off of me.

One day I discovered that pigs will eat the excrement of other animals and I thought, "Well why didn't you tell me that to begin with!" That pretty much ended that item in my diet!

I feel better without it and I know that it is not only unclean and unhealthy but is an abomination as well.

Please understand that I do not judge those who still eat it but I judge myself and cannot eat pig again.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.