PDA

View Full Version : funny cultural stuff we've heard/seen about.



Daffodil
11-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Asalamulaikum

when ppl follow culture and not islam but call that cultural practice islam its ok for us to have a laugh and giggle about.

also i think its important that we all inform eachother cultural stuff that we've seen and heard about so we can warn others and make sure we dnt do it out selves. cuz sometimes i see practicing ppl do stuff that is culture rather then islam because theyve never asked about thr history of that practice.

so lets all share these funny culturals things we used to do n believe in.

we were told to fold the corner of our musallahs so the shaitan cudnt pray on it. lol, where did that come from? i say let the shaitan pray, if he wants to repent let him repent, it always makes me laugh wen i go to some ones house n their musallahs are folded up in the corner.

ill try n think of some more n post em wen i remember inshallah but want to hear some of urs.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MusLiM 4 LiFe
11-01-2006, 08:27 PM
lool, we hav 2 do that.. but i didnt ask why we had 2 do dat? lol

ummm.. cnt fink of ne now.. il let u kno later :p
Reply

BlissfullyJaded
11-01-2006, 10:15 PM
:sl:

Don't ever leave the Quran open cuz Shaytan will read it. Why would anybody leave it open anyways though? lol..
Reply

Umar001
11-01-2006, 10:22 PM
I personally try not to laugh at things, just incase I get it wrong at it is from Islam.

But I hope yall have fun.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
maryamjp
11-02-2006, 02:24 AM
Assalamu alikum sister,
Followings are the things I am following in Pakistan out of respect which may be hadith or maybe not :
1.when I hear Azan I cover my head
2.when I do wadu in bathroom I cover my head.
They say if you don't cover your head, satan is going to urinate on you.
I want to make sure these are ok to follow or not.
Reply

north_malaysian
11-02-2006, 08:17 AM
While in Malaysia:

1) Dont be in the toilet during azan, as the satans are congregating inside it.

2) When you yawn, cover your mouth or Satan will go inside it.

3) Dont clap your hands... each time you clap 1,000 satans would be born.
Reply

SirZubair
11-02-2006, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
I personally try not to laugh at things, just incase I get it wrong at it is from Islam.

But I hope yall have fun.
I agree.
Reply

Dawud_uk
11-02-2006, 10:27 AM
assalaamu alaykum,

some of the cultural stuff i have heard from fellow reverts have been...

no it is ok to look at a women, just not look lustfully.

it is ok to mix with women, that is just arab / pakistani culture but we are not arabs so we can mix and it is ok because we can control ourselves.

reverts got this jahiliyyah problem as much as everyone else where we mix our culture into islam and think it is all from islam.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah
Reply

Mohsin
11-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
I personally try not to laugh at things, just incase I get it wrong at it is from Islam.

But I hope yall have fun.
I think Br Isa is right, what if we in our ignornace may think something is cultural, but in actual fact it may have some foundation from Qur'an and Sunnah?
Reply

Ummu Sufyaan
11-02-2006, 11:04 AM
are we laughing here at ahl-bidah or what im confused. like are we laughing at the things people do, that they think is right islamically.
Reply

lyesh
11-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian

2) When you yawn, cover your mouth or Satan will go inside it.

Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet said, "Yawning is from Satan and if anyone of you yawns, he should check his yawning as much as possible, for if anyone of you (during the act of yawning) should say: 'Ha', Satan will laugh at him."


Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet said, "Allah likes sneezing and dislikes yawning, so if someone sneezes and then praises Allah, then it is obligatory on every Muslim who heard him, to say: May Allah be merciful to you (Yar-hamuka-l-lah). But as regards yawning, it is from Satan, so one must try one's best to stop it, if one says 'Ha' when yawning, Satan will laugh at him."

source: http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamen...i/073.sbt.html

Allah Knows Best!

:w:
Reply

Asyur an-Nagi
11-02-2006, 11:40 AM
don't forget to pray before each meal, since if you are not, the shaitan would wiped off anything on your plate.
Reply

Ummu Sufyaan
11-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by maryam11
are we laughing here at ahl-bidah or what im confused. like are we laughing at the things people do, that they think is right islamically.
:sl: brothers and sistes, my question still stands, whats the point of this thread exactly? !!!
Reply

Malaikah
11-02-2006, 12:25 PM
:sl:

^To make a list of stuff people claim are a part of Islam but actually are just culture.

In my culture they have this thing against leaving shoes upside down, apparently its bad because its pointing to the heavens. :?

Oh and another one- if someone is sick they put a blanket on top of the person and put a peice of lead in to boiling water and it makes this popping sound and apparently its meant to scare away the evil eye! :offended: I hate this one, isnt it shirk to do that?!?! Oh and after they have done it a few times they get the sick person to drink the water...:uuh: Ya Allah can you imagine the possibilty of lead poisoning?!?!:heated:
Reply

Daffodil
11-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
I personally try not to laugh at things, just incase I get it wrong at it is from Islam.

But I hope yall have fun.
im talking about the stuff thats obviously from culture.

i think the most funny ones are the ones that take place in weddings, i heard that wen the bride and groom leave the wedding they drive the car backwards and forwards seven times!

another one i actualy seen is the bride comes in with a long piece of material over her head and her friends are all underneath it too. (i dnt think they realised thats what hindus do as they believe it "wards off evil" way to go piece of cloth, u have magical poswers, perhaps itll start flying too)

yea i heard that quran open one, they say the shaitan reads it, i say let the devil read the quran, he probably wants to repent.
Reply

Malaikah
11-02-2006, 12:49 PM
:sl:

What about when people say that you have to shower with clothes on because the jinns can see you? Thats just *ok then*:rollseyes
Reply

Umar001
11-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Daffodil
im talking about the stuff thats obviously from culture.
Assalamu Aleykum Wa Rhametulah,

Insha'Allah, I was just putting my input that is all, I hope that everyone here is responsible enough not to just blindly put anything that they find funny thinking it's culture when it might be a part of Islam that is all sister, and I wish not to take any more of the thread up.

I hope everyone is careful, have fun! :)

Assalamu Aleykum. Eesa.
Reply

Mawaddah
11-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by cheese
:sl:

What about when people say that you have to shower with clothes on because the jinns can see you? Thats just *ok then*:rollseyes
The Malays are pretty strong on this one :rollseyes

You cannot take a shower unless you have like a sarong tied around you ....

Weird no?
Reply

Maimunah
11-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by cheese
:sl:

What about when people say that you have to shower with clothes on because the jinns can see you? Thats just *ok then*:rollseyes
lol that is just weird:uuh: ;D
Reply

shariq_0189
11-02-2006, 02:16 PM
^ LOL...thts funny. wow
Reply

Daffodil
11-02-2006, 02:26 PM
jizakallah khair for the reminder isa abdullah,

mawaddah are u serious, oh my gosh.
Reply

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-02-2006, 03:00 PM
:sl:

Here are some:

1) Dont leave slippers upside down - it causes fights
2) Dont cut nails at night...or on wednesdays..
3) Dont go to the bathroom at 12:00..

Any Hadiths regarding the above? If not, then I think its just cultural. Im gonna submit it to Islam-Qa and see what they say Inshallah.

:w:
Reply

united
11-02-2006, 03:05 PM
my favourites:
"if you whistle you're kissing shaitans behind."
"if you dont cover your mouth when yawning shaitan wees in it"
Reply

Maimunah
11-02-2006, 03:05 PM
lol thats funny:D
do that bro:) (to bro Ahmad)

wasalaam
Reply

Mawaddah
11-02-2006, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Ähmed
:sl:

Here are some:

1) Dont leave slippers upside down - it causes fights
2) Dont cut nails at night...or on wednesdays..
3) Dont go to the bathroom at 12:00..

Any Hadiths regarding the above? If not, then I think its just cultural. Im gonna submit it to Islam-Qa and see what they say Inshallah.

:w:
I'm positive that there's nothing concerning the first and third one, but i'm a bit doubtful about the middle one. As far as I can recall theres no hadeeth concerning that either.

Still you can check to confirm insha'allah.
Reply

MinAhlilHadeeth
11-02-2006, 03:25 PM
What about wiping your face with your hands after dua? Someone told me this was bid'ah.:?
Reply

Dawud_uk
11-02-2006, 03:34 PM
assalaamu alaykum,

personal favourites are those who kiss everything to do with islam... so they fold their prayer mat and kiss it before putting it away.

they take off their toppee, they kiss it, they put it back on they kiss it,

they kiss their prayer beads also,

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah
Reply

Daffodil
11-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Here are some:

1) Dont leave slippers upside down - it causes fights
2) Dont cut nails at night...or on wednesdays..
3) Dont go to the bathroom at 12:00..

Any Hadiths regarding the above? If not, then I think its just cultural. Im gonna submit it to Islam-Qa and see what they say Inshallah.
theres no basis at all for any of them, islam qa already talk about the nail thing n they sed its nothing to do with islam. i too was told by family that u shudnt cut ur nails at night or on wednesdays, how daft grrrr

What about wiping your face with your hands after dua? Someone told me this was bid'ah.
im sure theres hadith about how the prophet saw wiped over his body after he read the three quls so perhaps thats why ppl do it after a dua, as far as i know this is ok, but will check it out, im glad ppl are posting stuff because it clarifies alot of things.
Reply

UmmSqueakster
11-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Umm 'Abdullah
What about wiping your face with your hands after dua? Someone told me this was bid'ah.:?
From several sources

Not Bidah

and

Not Bidah
Reply

S_87
11-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by united
"if you dont cover your mouth when yawning shaitan wees in it"
:sl:

one should stil lcover their mouth when yawning


The son of Abu Said al-Khudri reported on the authority of his father that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: When one of you yawns, he should try to restrain it with cue help of his hand since it is the Satan that enters therein
Muslim

umm Abdullah there dif of opinion. check this out
http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=39174&ln=eng


for the musalla one i heard that shaytaan jumps on it :lol:


another one after saying dajjal you havta say la hawla wa la quwwata illah billah befcause when you say dajjal one of the chains on him are loosened and when you say la hawla wa la quwwata illah billah 10 chains are put on hi m
Reply

MinAhlilHadeeth
11-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Janaan
From several sources

Not Bidah

and

Not Bidah

Ok wow, jazakAllah khayr! The person who told me this must not have researched deeply then.

Thanks again.

:wasalamex
Reply

Dawud_uk
11-02-2006, 04:02 PM
assalaamu alaykum,

please check out the following, there is some considerable doubt concerning wiping the face

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...=wiping%20face

when it comes to matters such as this involving ibadah is best we stay cautious and avoid something if there is some doubt on it.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah
Reply

Daffodil
11-02-2006, 04:02 PM
wow thanks for the info amani, i didnt know that, and i wudnt have thought there was owt wrong with it. may allah swt reward u ameen.
Reply

MinAhlilHadeeth
11-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Oh amani i think we posted the same time. I was going to stay away from it just incase anyway, but jazakAllah khayr to both of you for posting that! I noticed alot of people from different cultures do this though, one being Somalis.

:wasalamex
Reply

Daffodil
11-02-2006, 04:16 PM
i think they know that by now, do some work, im sure they dnt pay u for sitting around on li making a show of ur self lol joke. sowi, please dnt beat me with ur miswak lol.

any ways yea wanted to ask, whats this thing about giving milk to the bride n groom on their wedding?
Reply

MinAhlilHadeeth
11-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Daffodil
i think they know that by now, do some work, im sure they dnt pay u for sitting around on li making a show of ur self lol joke. sowi, please dnt beat me with ur miswak lol.

any ways yea wanted to ask, whats this thing about giving milk to the bride n groom on their wedding?
Lol... I thought you were talking to me for second.

What culture is that from sis?

(Umm 'Abdullah number two):p

:wasalamex
Reply

united
11-02-2006, 04:44 PM
the Prophet (s) shared milk with Fatima (r) and his guests for the walima
Reply

Daffodil
11-02-2006, 05:08 PM
the Prophet (s) shared milk with Fatima (r) and his guests for the walima
right, cuz this pakistani person once sed that the wifes sisters feed the husbands the milk which is obviously not islamic because theyre not mehram for eachother, its sad that ppl take something perfectly gud like the milk thing and turn it into fitnah central.
Reply

MusLiM 4 LiFe
11-02-2006, 08:04 PM
yehh.. datz wot bengaliz do :rollseyes

but da wife feeds da husband and vice versa AFTER nikaah ^o)

da flowery neklace ting is put on da bride and groom by someone of the other family..
Reply

whitesoul
11-02-2006, 08:13 PM
it is not gud 2 laugh at ppl ways.its a way of mocking.your parents have learnt these from their parents and so on. do what a muslim would do, tell your parents, they only do this 4 a sign of respect.
Reply

Daffodil
11-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by whitesoul
it is not gud 2 laugh at ppl ways.its a way of mocking.your parents have learnt these from their parents and so on. do what a muslim would do, tell your parents, they only do this 4 a sign of respect.
actually sis its perfectly ok. here is a fatwah on it..........

Mocking innovators

Question:
I know that mocking the Sunnah or any part of Islam makes a person a kaafir. But what if someone mocks the beliefs of people of bid'ah? For example, a person jokes to his friend when it's time for salaat to make fun of the Murji'ah : "Oh, we don't have to pray...it's in your heart, remember?" but he prays, understanding that it was a joke to show the riduculousness of the Murji'ah beliefs. I know that false talk is a sin, even in joking, but is this (above example) kufr akbar because the joke involves a major part of Islam, although it was aimed at bidah and not Islam?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Mocking the kaafirs for their kufr or the innovators for their innovations (bid’ah) is permissible because they enjoy no sanctity or protection with regard to their sin and evildoing in which they regard as permissible that which Allaah and Islam have forbidden. But this is only so long as the mocking does not go beyond the framework of dignity and truth, and it is not taken as a usual habit, and the jokes do not outweigh one's seriousness. But what we are warning against has become the habit of many people.

If one is to mock them, it should be for their going against the Sunnah, not for their different ways of dressing, walking, etc.

But is it a sin?

The correct view is that it is not a sin, rather this is something that it is permissible to talk about and joke about. The fact that the sin that we are mocking does not constitute kufr that puts a person beyond the pale of Islam makes it even more appropriate to joke about their sin, because by forsaking the truth and following falsehood, they have mocked the sanctity of Allaah.

Al-Laalkaani narrated, with isnaads, some reports from some of the salaf concerning such cases:

- He narrated from al-A’mash that Ibraaheem said: “There is no gheebah [backbiting] concerning one who follows bid’ah.”

- He narrated that al-Hasan al-Basri said: “There are three who have no protection from gheebah, one of whom is the one who follows bid’ah and is extreme in his bid’ah.”

- He narrated from Hishaam that al-Hasan said: “There is no gheebah in the case of one who follows bid’ah and one who commits evil.”

- He narrated that al-Hasan said: “There is no gheebah in the case of the people of bid’ah.”

- He narrated that Katheer Abu Sahl said: “It is said that there is no sanctity for the people who follow their whims and desires.”

(I’tiqaad Ahl al-Sunnah, 1/140).

The example which is mentioned in the question, which is, “Oh, we don’t have to pray, it’s in your heart, remember?” is not kufr because the one who says it does not intend to mock the prayer, rather he intends to mock these words that go against sharee’ah, and to show that they are false.

The point is that making fun of something that the innovators say is not haraam and does not constitute kufr.

But we do not encourage denouncing the innovators by mocking them; rather we should debate with them in the way that is best. Your concern when debating with them should be to guide them to the Straight Path. Allaah said to Moosa and Haroon when He sent them to Pharaoh (interpretation of the meaning):

“And speak to him mildly, perhaps he may accept admonition or fear (Allaah)”

[Ta-Ha 20:44]

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Reply

Daffodil
11-02-2006, 08:24 PM
they only do this 4 a sign of respect.
they do it out of ignorance not a sign of respect
Reply

MusLiM 4 LiFe
11-02-2006, 08:27 PM
dis woz suposed 2 b a nice/funny thread, whyz it turnin in2 debatin :offended:
Reply

Fishman
11-02-2006, 08:27 PM
:sl:
Some people believe that if you break a mirror you have to wave an egg above it, or you will have bad luck! And that's a superstition from people who claim to be the enlightened protectors of freedom and democracy!
:w:
Reply

Nawal89
11-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Fishman
:sl:
Some people believe that if you break a mirror you have to wave an egg above it, or you will have bad luck! And that's a superstition from people who claim to be the enlightened protectors of freedom and democracy!
:w:
and the egg is supposed to keep away the bad luck?:rollseyes
must have secret powers:giggling:
Reply

MusLiM 4 LiFe
11-02-2006, 08:33 PM
uno wha.. its weird coz i dnt blive in superstitions but i wudnt like break a mirror if u get me.. ^o) iz any1 els like dt
Reply

MusLiM 4 LiFe
11-02-2006, 08:35 PM
wave an egg above it


datz a new 1 ^o)
Reply

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-03-2006, 01:38 AM
:sl:

http://www.maniacmuslim.com/index.ph...d=36&Itemid=49

;D

:w:
Reply

Malaikah
11-03-2006, 03:28 AM
Originally Posted by united
"if you dont cover your mouth when yawning shaitan wees in it"
:sl:

There is a hadith that the shaitan 'wees' in the ears of those who do not wake up for fajr prayer. +o(
Reply

InToTheRain
11-03-2006, 03:51 AM
:sl:

Is there anything wrong if the Shayateen reads the Qur'an or Uses the prayer mat to pray Salat? can Shayateen revert?

most ppl in my house fold the prayer mat corner, although they don't make a big deal of it.

I guess the other one is they don't like pointing their feet towards the Kabah. and lastly they make sure no one can raise their feet above the horizontal level of the Qur'an. Both of these are out of respect for Allah(SWT) so I see nothing wrong with it.

[PIE]I figured if folding a prayer mat makes Shaitaan go away, perhaps folding my clothes a certain way would thwart evil as well?
Alas, the evil thoughts still came, and I kicked the folding habit, as my mom hated ironing out the creases all the time. [/PIE]

^ That made me lol
Reply

Curaezipirid
11-03-2006, 04:35 AM
Waram,

I LOve em All an am willing to experiment to test each one, if I find that it concurrs with my own daily habits to protect me from the Shaytan . . .

why not just try believing if they is not Haram, that each of these things has worked for somebody sometime effectively or else it would not be a part of our culture:

and then try not enacting the belief as an experiment

then you get your own evidence. . . which way is it better for you?

[QUOTE=Daffodil;547445]

we were told to fold the corner of our musallahs so the shaitan cudnt pray on it. lol, where did that come from? i say let the shaitan pray, if he wants to repent let him repent, it always makes me laugh wen i go to some ones house n their musallahs are folded up in the corner.
QUOTE]
I will believe this
Originally Posted by maryamjp

1.when I hear Azan I cover my head
2.when I do wadu in bathroom I cover my head.
They say if you don't cover your head, satan is going to urinate on you.
I want to make sure these are ok to follow or not.
and I will believe in this

Originally Posted by north_malaysian

1) Dont be in the toilet during azan, as the satans are congregating inside it.

2) When you yawn, cover your mouth or Satan will go inside it.

3) Dont clap your hands... each time you clap 1,000 satans would be born.
and I believe in this except about every hand clap: but only because I live in a culture in which hand claps are audience applause, but when hand claps are an unnecessary shock then I agree

Originally Posted by zAk
or dont leave the musalla[prayer mat] open. or shaytan will pray on it :p
I agree and I will believe

Originally Posted by Asyur an-Nagi
don't forget to pray before each meal, since if you are not, the shaitan would wiped off anything on your plate.
This I most especially agree with since I noticed that I have not been saying Grace when I eat alone and that makes for bad kidney function.

Originally Posted by cheese
:sl:

In my culture they have this thing against leaving shoes upside down, apparently its bad because its pointing to the heavens. :?

Oh and another one- if someone is sick they put a blanket on top of the person and put a peice of lead in to boiling water and it makes this popping sound and apparently its meant to scare away the evil eye! :offended: I hate this one, isnt it shirk to do that?!?! Oh and after they have done it a few times they get the sick person to drink the water...:uuh: Ya Allah can you imagine the possibilty of lead poisoning?!?!:heated:
I agree with both of these

Originally Posted by Daffodil
im talking about the stuff thats obviously from culture.

i think the most funny ones are the ones that take place in weddings, i heard that wen the bride and groom leave the wedding they drive the car backwards and forwards seven times!

another one i actualy seen is the bride comes in with a long piece of material over her head and her friends are all underneath it too. (i dnt think they realised thats what hindus do as they believe it "wards off evil" way to go piece of cloth, u have magical poswers, perhaps itll start flying too)

yea i heard that quran open one, they say the shaitan reads it, i say let the devil read the quran, he probably wants to repent.
I agree with all of. The reason that these are only of culture and not ahadith is because they are about individual events that really occurred and which other persons seek to repeat the protection of. "Oh that worked! they got protected from the Shaytan on their wedding night, maybe it will work for me?" . . . etc etc etc, and why not? You gotta try at least. But the full truth is that for any of these to be effective you need to:a) know the full true story behind them, and b) know and understand why the protective behaviour was effective. They are good habits all the same. Here is an example: in Hindu culture many habits that are regarded as either culture or superstition are only imitating the characters in Mahabarata. But why not?

Some are about not being complacent in matter that connects to any sacred matter. That is because when the sacred is infiltrated by Shaytan then its worth as Sacred is dented briefly.

Originally Posted by Mawaddah
The Malays are pretty strong on this one :rollseyes

You cannot take a shower unless you have like a sarong tied around you ....

Weird no?
This one has VAST sense to me! Shaytan have a habit of trying to look through your eyes, and they imagine that if they look at body parts that they can get back into the sick old world we exist in again by stealing the vanity of other persons looking at their body while bathing. Some cosmetics manufactures make money by making such awful ideology available for sale with their cosmetics. . . . so showering with Sarong on helps to prevent Shaytan imagining that reincarnation can be realised. I rarely shower or bath because of what the Shaytan get up to, but my clothes are all heavy so may be I only needed a Sarong.

The best thing about having a laugh at our own respective cultures is that we learn then what is real and what not. How about this one then:

If you see a kind of bird you have never seen before then somebody is going to die.

That is from my indigenous culture. Here is one from mainstream Aussie white culture:

If you sit on the cement pavement then you get piles.

These sort of superstitious aspects of culture are all very much a part of the world that will end of course; but they are the parts of this world which will end that we need to hold onto because they are life sustaining. They are the stories and habits by which we each experience little miracles in Allah, and so every child experienced certainty of belief.

It might be that one superstition belongs to one person's story and that your own story needs a different superstition. (Superstition means only a heightened fear in Allah)

Every person in good mental health goes through a process of questioning why we are taught these seemingly irrelevent habits as though of special meaning. So we get a little older and then stop acting them out and then either we realise that it was a habit of practical relevance to our mothers which has no more practical relevance to us, (or so we suppose: eg, when to put the rice on to soak) or else, we stop the habit we learned when young, only to find that a really bad thing happens to us, and then we can be certain in Allah through our immediate familial cultural patterning.

We can't all go to Mosque and recite the right Surah every time we find evidence of the Shaytan: but we can manifest adhereing to these sort of little habits. Many persons are habitual when saying Insha Allah, and have learned to by culture rather than Religious instruction. But that never made in of any less worth to say Insha Allah.

Have a laugh but in your laughter learn what you really need to take more seriously. That is what laughter is for.

Waram
Reply

Curaezipirid
11-03-2006, 04:39 AM
Here is another one: Once a black cat crossed the road in front of me while the person in the car next to me was telling me about going overseas for travel; a few years later I realised that her travel plans were being made through a shaytan's trick against me, that she had fallen into grabbing the benefit of. Now if I see a black cat I watch which way it goes and always make certain it never crosses my path.

East Asian folk are really good at this sort of matter. All superstitions have relevance.

waram
Reply

Malaikah
11-03-2006, 04:41 AM
Originally Posted by Curaezipirid
I agree with both of these
:sl:

Do you agree that it is shirk and dangerous, or do you agree its worth a try? :?
Reply

syilla
11-03-2006, 04:55 AM
:sl:

oh yeah...i just remember one....

if you accidently knock your head with the other person...you have to knock again with the other person if not your knowledge will leak out from the brain...(this one is funny)

well of course we can't follow the shirk culture...

but don't you think....some of the old folks sayings...they have deeper meanings in it...i mean they must be another reason for it...it is just easier for them to say that...so the other would follow...

for example...there is one culture in malay which is to make 'tempe'(kind of food)...
to make this 'tempe' you cannot talk while doing it....(well...at the first impression...for sure you'll have a laugh)...but if you think it again...'tempe' is very sensitive to dirty surroundings....so...if you talk your salliva will go into the 'tempe'...and it will spoil the food.

i hope i make sense...
Reply

Woodrow
11-03-2006, 05:57 AM
If you ever travel in the New England area of the US and see any of the old colonial houses that were built in the 1600s. Look closely at the chimneys. You will see what appears to be a seat built around them near the top. That is called a "Witches Stoop" The earlier colonials built them in the belief that passing witches would stop and rest at them. They would repay the occupants by not doing any mischief to them.
Reply

north_malaysian
11-03-2006, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by Mawaddah
The Malays are pretty strong on this one :rollseyes

You cannot take a shower unless you have like a sarong tied around you ....

Weird no?
I have to agree... The Malays have "wet cloth" (in Malay "Kain Basah"), a 'sarong' wrapped up the body. For male it's intended to cover below navel until your thigh... but many modern male wears boxers or shorts. For female, the sarong would cover from breast until the thigh.

The Malays are Ultra-Shy people and have minimum 3 showers per day...
Reply

north_malaysian
11-03-2006, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by syilla
:sl:

oh yeah...i just remember one....

if you accidently knock your head with the other person...you have to knock again with the other person if not your knowledge will leak out from the brain...(this one is funny)
I've heard that the Turks are doing the same too..
Reply

Dawud_uk
11-03-2006, 08:16 AM
[QUOTE]Waram,

I LOve em All an am willing to experiment to test each one, if I find that it concurrs with my own daily habits to protect me from the Shaytan . . .

why not just try believing if they is not Haram, that each of these things has worked for somebody sometime effectively or else it would not be a part of our culture:

and then try not enacting the belief as an experiment

then you get your own evidence. . . which way is it better for you?

Originally Posted by Daffodil

we were told to fold the corner of our musallahs so the shaitan cudnt pray on it. lol, where did that come from? i say let the shaitan pray, if he wants to repent let him repent, it always makes me laugh wen i go to some ones house n their musallahs are folded up in the corner.
QUOTE]
I will believe this

and I will believe in this


and I believe in this except about every hand clap: but only because I live in a culture in which hand claps are audience applause, but when hand claps are an unnecessary shock then I agree


I agree and I will believe



This I most especially agree with since I noticed that I have not been saying Grace when I eat alone and that makes for bad kidney function.



I agree with both of these



I agree with all of. The reason that these are only of culture and not ahadith is because they are about individual events that really occurred and which other persons seek to repeat the protection of. "Oh that worked! they got protected from the Shaytan on their wedding night, maybe it will work for me?" . . . etc etc etc, and why not? You gotta try at least. But the full truth is that for any of these to be effective you need to:a) know the full true story behind them, and b) know and understand why the protective behaviour was effective. They are good habits all the same. Here is an example: in Hindu culture many habits that are regarded as either culture or superstition are only imitating the characters in Mahabarata. But why not?

Some are about not being complacent in matter that connects to any sacred matter. That is because when the sacred is infiltrated by Shaytan then its worth as Sacred is dented briefly.



This one has VAST sense to me! Shaytan have a habit of trying to look through your eyes, and they imagine that if they look at body parts that they can get back into the sick old world we exist in again by stealing the vanity of other persons looking at their body while bathing. Some cosmetics manufactures make money by making such awful ideology available for sale with their cosmetics. . . . so showering with Sarong on helps to prevent Shaytan imagining that reincarnation can be realised. I rarely shower or bath because of what the Shaytan get up to, but my clothes are all heavy so may be I only needed a Sarong.

The best thing about having a laugh at our own respective cultures is that we learn then what is real and what not. How about this one then:

If you see a kind of bird you have never seen before then somebody is going to die.

That is from my indigenous culture. Here is one from mainstream Aussie white culture:

If you sit on the cement pavement then you get piles.

These sort of superstitious aspects of culture are all very much a part of the world that will end of course; but they are the parts of this world which will end that we need to hold onto because they are life sustaining. They are the stories and habits by which we each experience little miracles in Allah, and so every child experienced certainty of belief.

It might be that one superstition belongs to one person's story and that your own story needs a different superstition. (Superstition means only a heightened fear in Allah)

Every person in good mental health goes through a process of questioning why we are taught these seemingly irrelevent habits as though of special meaning. So we get a little older and then stop acting them out and then either we realise that it was a habit of practical relevance to our mothers which has no more practical relevance to us, (or so we suppose: eg, when to put the rice on to soak) or else, we stop the habit we learned when young, only to find that a really bad thing happens to us, and then we can be certain in Allah through our immediate familial cultural patterning.

We can't all go to Mosque and recite the right Surah every time we find evidence of the Shaytan: but we can manifest adhereing to these sort of little habits. Many persons are habitual when saying Insha Allah, and have learned to by culture rather than Religious instruction. But that never made in of any less worth to say Insha Allah.

Have a laugh but in your laughter learn what you really need to take more seriously. That is what laughter is for.

Waram
ok so if i nearly get run over but that day i was wearing red, then i start to tell people red is lucky for me will you also start wearing red?

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah
Reply

Dawud_uk
11-03-2006, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by Curaezipirid
Here is another one: Once a black cat crossed the road in front of me while the person in the car next to me was telling me about going overseas for travel; a few years later I realised that her travel plans were being made through a shaytan's trick against me, that she had fallen into grabbing the benefit of. Now if I see a black cat I watch which way it goes and always make certain it never crosses my path.

East Asian folk are really good at this sort of matter. All superstitions have relevance.

waram
subhanallah this stuff and the mirror stuff is clear cut shirk, believing some object or animal has power to affect you.

Abu Abdullah
Reply

north_malaysian
11-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Some other weird Malay cultures....


1) A virgin should never sing while cooking, if they do it, they would be married to old people.

2) When you eat rice, dont EVER left a single rice left on your plate... or it'll pray to Allah to curse you.

3) Dont make small babies to watch their faces on the mirror, or they'll drown in the future.

4) Dont cut your fingernails at night... or you'll see a ghost.

5) Dont open the umbrella inside the house, or a snake will come into your house.
Reply

Malaikah
11-03-2006, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
5) Dont open the umbrella inside the house, or a snake will come into your house.
:sl:

LOL! Did umbrellas even exist in the prophets time??:giggling:
Reply

S_87
11-03-2006, 09:43 AM
:sl:

if you blow on your food after saying bismillah youre blowing the barkat away
Reply

MinAhlilHadeeth
11-03-2006, 09:48 AM
Hmmmm... some people say that you shouldn't throw away your nail clippings, because it'll be rice for you in paradise.:uuh:

I'm pretty sure this isn't from the deen.:vomit:

:wasalamex
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
11-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by zAk
or dont leave the musalla[prayer mat] open. or shaytan will pray on it :p
:lol:

is it bad if the shaytaan prays? lol :p
Reply

Mawaddah
11-03-2006, 03:05 PM
:lol: at the virgin not singing whilst cooking

My aunt used to say that to me allllllllllll the time

She would be like " Be quiet!! do you want to marry an old man?? "

:lol:

And then I was reading this website of old malay superstitions concerning the dead.

One of them said, that if a pregnant woman dies, then you should drive a nail into the back of her neck, and place two eggs under her armpits, otherwise in three days time she will be resurrected as a Pontianak and come to haunt others

;D

Malays love their ghosts lemme tell you :D
Reply

amirah_87
11-03-2006, 03:08 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

One of them said, that if a pregnant woman dies, then you should drive a nail into the back of her neck, and place two eggs under her armpits, otherwise in three days time she will be resurrected as a Pontianak and come to haunt others
Lol Mawaddah that's WEIRD!! :uuh: :haha:

what's a Pontianak? :)
Reply

Mawaddah
11-03-2006, 03:09 PM
Oh yes, and I remember my aunt telling me (she was queen of superstitions :rollseyes) That you should never talk about a dead person after darkness has fallen, otherwise their spirits will come into the house seeking the person who called them :rollseyes

There was a man who committed suicide around her area, and one time after maghrib I asked my aunt " Why do you think so and so killed himself? " And she rushed at me with her cooking spoon and slapped me on the mouth and told me to shut up!!!! :eek:

:mmokay:
Reply

Mawaddah
11-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by amirah_87
As Salaamu Alaykum,



Lol Mawaddah that's WEIRD!! :uuh: :haha:

what's a Pontianak? :)
It's a Ghost, I beleive its of malay (or asian) origin, it's the ghost of a woman who dies in pregnancy,......when she's approaching suddenly a strong smell of orchid flowers will pervade the air, and she will be upon you and kill you!! :D :D
Reply

amirah_87
11-03-2006, 03:14 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum....

Ooooh How awfully scary!! :eek:


:p
Reply

Dawud_uk
11-03-2006, 03:16 PM
assalaamu alaykum,

subhanallah i thought malaysia was a muslim country?

how could you mutilate the dead when the dead feel pain as we do? how could you believe in ghosts and spirits when such people are in the grave?

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah
Reply

Mawaddah
11-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
assalaamu alaykum,

subhanallah i thought malaysia was a muslim country?

how could you mutilate the dead when the dead feel pain as we do? how could you believe in ghosts and spirits when such people are in the grave?

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah
Yes, It's a Muslim country, but that doesn't mean that it is void from these types of cultural superstitions.

These types of things will exist in everyplace where people dont study Islam and begin to bring their culture into the Deen. As the way it is in Malaysia, particularly with the older folk.
Reply

MinAhlilHadeeth
11-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Yeah... that's quite disturbing to be honest.:uuh: But equally worrying.

:wasalamex
Reply

Daffodil
11-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
assalaamu alaykum,

subhanallah i thought malaysia was a muslim country?

how could you mutilate the dead when the dead feel pain as we do? how could you believe in ghosts and spirits when such people are in the grave?

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah
that doesnt mean diddly squat, yes its a muslim country but it doesnt mean its totaly islamic.

pakistan is a "muslim country" but look how much shirk n bidda n black magic etc goes off there, and england is meant to be a christian country, that dnt mean nothing.
Reply

Fishman
11-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
5) Dont open the umbrella inside the house, or a snake will come into your house.
:sl:
That's odd, in western countries there is also a superstition that says bad things will happen if you open an umbrella indoors. But it's just general bad luck though, not something specific like a snake.

Snakes were probably seen as good things to have in houses in old England, since there is only one poisonous snake species in the country, and snakes often eat pests...
:w:
Reply

maryamjp
11-04-2006, 01:38 AM
:sl: I concluded that I better follow the things whatever people here do, because no one can judge its just local culture or islamic one. And I realized by seeing other's thread that we have very similar cultural stuff in especially islamic countries such as covering head during uadu in bathroom, fold the coner of namaaz sheet, cover your mouth when yawning, evel eye, so on. Most of these stuff are to remove the influence of satan, and if there are so many cmmon things , we better believe there is something to be followed.
Only Allah knows.:w: :rollseyes
Reply

lyesh
11-04-2006, 10:17 AM
salaamz,
Well i'll tell u one weird one which was done before in Maldives.
If somone becomes sick or has difficulties in life.... The people
used to make some sort of pancakes and take the person to some
mosque or some person's graves and used to place the pancakes
and cover the whole body with it! LOL! and they used to eat them!
yuck! they believed that there difficulties or sickness wud be over
after that! how crazyyyyyyyy! lol!
Reply

maryamjp
11-06-2006, 01:08 AM
Assalamu Alikum,sister,
I didn't mean that all the customs being done in any country are to be followed but the certain things in islamic countries. Maldive is not the islamic country and that horiible tradition was terminated, wasn't it?
We have but similer one. When especially kids become sick suddenly without possible reason, we give sadaka( money or sometime food) to needy people.
We say it removes evil eye from the kid.
Only Allah knows but it works.
Reply

north_malaysian
11-06-2006, 03:50 AM
Originally Posted by Dawud_uk

subhanallah i thought malaysia was a muslim country?

how could you mutilate the dead when the dead feel pain as we do? how could you believe in ghosts and spirits when such people are in the grave?
This practice had been abandoned since 1980s...
Reply

syilla
11-06-2006, 03:58 AM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
This practice had been abandoned since 1980s...
yeah...nobody truly believes it...its just a story that entertain other ppl.

well maybe i'm wrong...maybe the person that practise bomoh or black magic will believe that...maybe:heated:
Reply

north_malaysian
11-06-2006, 04:05 AM
Other Malay superstitious beliefs (But, only handful of people taking it seriously.. especially those old people...)

1) A pregnant woman should never fight with her mother-in-law, or she would have difficulties when giving birth.

2) Dont whistle in the house because it'll invite the snake in.

3) Dont urinate by standing, or the ghost will bite your butt.

4) dont eat the chicken's heart, or you'll be sleepy on your wedding day.

5) Dont eat the same meal in one place then move to the another place... or you;ll be marrying two wives.

6) Dont sleep at the doorstep, or the ghost will cross over you.

7) Dont sleep on a tree, or "langsuir" (a kind of ghost) will eat you.

8) Dont eat chicken's neck, or you'll have broken neck on your wedding day.

9) Dont bring a lime to a river, or crocodile will eat you.

10) If you heard female voices on Maghrib time, the fairy ghosts are having a party.

Source: http://www.geocities.com/azdriana9/petua8.htm

:giggling: :giggling: :giggling: :giggling: :giggling: :giggling:
Reply

north_malaysian
11-06-2006, 04:07 AM
Originally Posted by syilla
well maybe i'm wrong...maybe the person that practise bomoh or black magic will believe that...maybe:heated:
The bomoh (witchdoctor) are more into hardcore things like making people dead or pain... May Allah destroy them...
Reply

syilla
11-06-2006, 04:08 AM
^^^half of it ...i never heard of.... :uuh:
Reply

syilla
11-06-2006, 04:09 AM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
The bomoh (witchdoctor) are more into hardcore things like making people dead or pain... May Allah destroy them...
you mean like the mona ehem ehem...

actually i never meet a bomoh....i guess i'm that modern.. :rolleyes:
Reply

north_malaysian
11-06-2006, 04:13 AM
Originally Posted by syilla
you mean like the mona ehem ehem...

actually i never meet a bomoh....i guess i'm that modern.. :rolleyes:
I never met them ... INDEED dont even believe in them...

I think the police should arrest all of them... because they're making chaos in many Muslims' personal lives.
Reply

syilla
11-06-2006, 04:15 AM
^^^anyway...the politicians and even the royal ppl use them extensively...

that's why the bomoh drives a mercedes....
Reply

north_malaysian
11-06-2006, 04:16 AM
Originally Posted by syilla
^^^anyway...the politicians and even the royal ppl use them extensively...

that's why the bomoh drives a mercedes....
That's why POLITICIANS are BAD people..
Reply

syilla
11-06-2006, 04:21 AM
^^^ i don't think you should say that...

some of the politicians work really hard for the ppl.... however there is only 1% of them
Reply

north_malaysian
11-06-2006, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by syilla
^^^ i don't think you should say that...

some of the politicians work really hard for the ppl.... however there is only 1% of them
Work hard for people (because they want power to obtain many profits) ... like Datuk Z's case. Really made me pissed off...:grumbling
Reply

Umar001
11-06-2006, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
5) Dont eat the same meal in one place then move to the another place... or you;ll be marrying two wives.
SubhanAllah, wouldn't that be a good thing? :)
Reply

Umar001
11-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by maryamjp
:sl: I concluded that I better follow the things whatever people here do, because no one can judge its just local culture or islamic one. And I realized by seeing other's thread that we have very similar cultural stuff in especially islamic countries such as covering head during uadu in bathroom, fold the coner of namaaz sheet, cover your mouth when yawning, evel eye, so on. Most of these stuff are to remove the influence of satan, and if there are so many cmmon things , we better believe there is something to be followed.
Only Allah knows.:w: :rollseyes
Assalamu Aleykum,

Sister, I am sad to hear that, what if the people are doing stuff that is not Islamic? Surely 'someone' can judge, ask to see the proof for such acts, if someone tells you "fold the corner of namaaz sheet....." ask them, "Bro/Sis, since there is alot of superstition and stuff, can I ask you if you have any proof for that" It is upto the people to verify what they hear.

You are very lucky sister, to be able to come online and have people here, you can go read fatawa, you can search ahadeeth, you have been provided with instruments to see the Truth from Falsehood, if your not sure whether something is from Islam, ask the Bro/Sis here, search for it, and inshaAllah you will find out falsehood from Truth.

Your brother, Eesa.
Reply

north_malaysian
11-06-2006, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
SubhanAllah, wouldn't that be a good thing? :)
Malaysians tend to be monogamous...

But still, many people jokingly doing this in front of their mothers... just for fun to irritate their superstitious mothers!!! :giggling: :giggling: :giggling:
Reply

Umar001
11-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Malaysians tend to be monogamous...

But still, many people jokingly doing this in front of their mothers... just for fun to irritate their superstitious mothers!!! :giggling: :giggling: :giggling:
Do they move around 4 times so to fill all four spaces? :okay:
Reply

north_malaysian
11-06-2006, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
Do they move around 4 times so to fill all four spaces? :okay:
Some did ten.... like ... there are six chairs on the dining room... and they sat on each chairs.. then moved on to living room on various sofas ... then to the bedroom or outside while carrying the same plate ... here and there... :giggling: :giggling: :giggling:
Reply

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-06-2006, 05:39 PM
:sl:

Ive asked a question regarding some of the things mentioned here to Islam Qa..as soon as they answer Inshallah, ill post it here.

Also, I recommend that everyone please read Kitab At Tawheed, it is only benefit for you Inshallah and it will clear up most if not all of your doubts about actions that are Shirk.

Kitab At Tawheed

Chapter 26 - Regarding Omens

:w:
Reply

Curaezipirid
11-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by cheese
:sl:

Do you agree that it is shirk and dangerous, or do you agree its worth a try? :?
Waram and my apology for being tardy in being back to answer,

I agree with the fact that it can manifest as shirk to imagine that any adherence to a specific behaviour alone is ever enough to protect yourself, without applying the mental practise of the correct Prayer that is normally the accompaniment of such customs. For example, I should expect that putting a sarong on in the shower is to no avail without a mental exertion of asking for Allah's protection from Shaytan.

That really is the key to all these customs isn't it. Today we might not recognise the customs as containing Prayer, but surely that to have become entrenched in culture the customs were originally placed into the collective subconsciousness through active acts including Prayer.

I do not agree that it is worth a "try"; but I am in favour of any person working to find out the origins of such behaviours, and when aware of the origin, (even if only from the local mythology, by understanding that a real event always instigates mythology), performing an experiment by enacting the custom in a number of different ways, and not enacting it where it is normally enacted, so as to find what difference it really makes. If that is "trying" well then it is worth a "try", but I will not like to use the word "try" in that context. I prefer to "experiment".

That is to say, that in modern conditions if we have become removed from the Ancient sources of culture, then we must experiment to prove to ourself what of the custom is compatible with Islam and what is not compatible with Islam. Where as those still in connection with the ancient traditions which caused specific customs of culture, were always able to more readily able to discern which specific customs are compatible with Islam.

I guess why some older Prayers are called culture and not religion is because they are manifested only in one region, or a non-Arabic language, or are only comprehensible to persons with certain racial features that evolved within specific cultural, geographical, and weather conditions.

Part of the work of Islam is ascertaining which of all such customs readily transmit from one language to another, and one set of biological features to another. Which are of Jannah, and which will have no further use after this world? Which are signs of reality? Those customs which are only symbolic of the world as it is now, will eventually all be gone.

But customs based in Prayer and which are correctly informed by signs of reality, even when they are of a culture which pre-dates Islam, is not to mean that they are not of Islam. Most of Qur'an is of events from before there were Muslims. Events described in Qur'an are those of the region in which Mohammed (Bless him) was Indigenous; yet obviously Qur'an tells the story true to every part of Earth also. Not every region has Elephants, or Ka'ba. But perhaps every locality in which there is a rock formation which has ever been similarly used as the true use of Ka'ba, has a story in which natural forces were proven to overcome the wants of men through the same story with different characters. Islam belongs to the whole of Humanity regardless of our culture of origin. The efficacy of Islam is through being able to adapt into other cultures, as the method of causing those cultures to adapt to the modern need of Muslim way in Religion. Every Religion which is true is essentially either Islam or in process of becoming Islam, the belief of Jannah.

waram
Reply

Curaezipirid
11-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Other Malay superstitious beliefs (But, only handful of people taking it seriously.. especially those old people...)

1) A pregnant woman should never fight with her mother-in-law, or she would have difficulties when giving birth.

2) Dont whistle in the house because it'll invite the snake in.

3) Dont urinate by standing, or the ghost will bite your butt.

4) dont eat the chicken's heart, or you'll be sleepy on your wedding day.

5) Dont eat the same meal in one place then move to the another place... or you;ll be marrying two wives.

6) Dont sleep at the doorstep, or the ghost will cross over you.

7) Dont sleep on a tree, or "langsuir" (a kind of ghost) will eat you.

8) Dont eat chicken's neck, or you'll have broken neck on your wedding day.

9) Dont bring a lime to a river, or crocodile will eat you.

10) If you heard female voices on Maghrib time, the fairy ghosts are having a party.

Source: http://www.geocities.com/azdriana9/petua8.htm

:giggling: :giggling: :giggling: :giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

This list is hilarious. Perhaps they are all customary knowledge that is part of Malay heritage because of events in Malaysia which seem nonsensical outside of a Malaysian heredity. That would could make it shirk for anybody else to try to cause their own protection by such. But really this list is hilarious mainly because these beliefs are here totally removed from context.

About that one of eating a meal in one place then moving to another place to eat the same meal, well, that I could believe can be true: but only for males; and only in a place where there is very careful self denial of eating too much.

waram
Reply

north_malaysian
11-08-2006, 03:10 AM
Originally Posted by Curaezipirid
This list is hilarious. Perhaps they are all customary knowledge that is part of Malay heritage because of events in Malaysia which seem nonsensical outside of a Malaysian heredity. That would could make it shirk for anybody else to try to cause their own protection by such. But really this list is hilarious mainly because these beliefs are here totally removed from context.

About that one of eating a meal in one place then moving to another place to eat the same meal, well, that I could believe can be true: but only for males; and only in a place where there is very careful self denial of eating too much.

waram

It just some thing 'old' practices. Currently it seems like NOBODY care about it... :giggling:
Reply

Curaezipirid
11-08-2006, 03:19 AM
I guess that the danger of any shirk in these old superstitiously believed in customs, is in finding out too many of such matters, and then becoming confused as to what to even try to adhere to. If we can't know how a custom began, that is, if we can not learn its story, then practising of can lead to imagining that we are not being tricked by black magic when we actually were. But where a shirk comes into the equation is when Shaytan are promoting these sorts of superstitions as necessary to believe in. Because Shaytan also try to prevent us learning why these superstitions came into culture.

When you learn any of these sort of customs then only adhere to if you can be given a reasonable answer to the question "why".

waram
Reply

Curaezipirid
11-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
subhanallah this stuff and the mirror stuff is clear cut shirk, believing some object or animal has power to affect you.

Abu Abdullah
Belief without evidence in any superstition is alike to shirk. But if you have scientific explaintion and experiential evidence about a matter like a black cat crossing your path, or a mirror breaking, then it is not shirk to believe.

The black cat thing might seem really dumb. But the point that I am trying to make is that I myself could never have believed in any negative consequence connected with a black cat crossing my path, had I not experienced a repeating incidence of such.

The key to manifesting actual belief rather than a false belief in black magic, is in knowing that the cat crossing the path IS NOT CAUSAL, but rather a secondary effect that is able to be objectively correlated to a knowable cause; which usually causes that a Shaytan steals luckiness thereafter. The Black Cat is by no means at fault in the matter, and in fact, the black cat is the positive attribute of the situation.

waram
Reply

Curaezipirid
11-08-2006, 06:35 PM
What I don't get is how those folk who wear t-shirts with words on the shirt can get about with daft descriptions of being on their body!

Like how can that phenomenon possibly exist in their culture. They even got those really exaggerated shirts which say "suicidal tendencies" and "super mean b*t*h" and stuff like that.

Now, from my point of veiw, to wear a shirt like that is asking for trouble: but does that qualify the pointed statement that maybe it is well if a superstition developed about words on t-shirts, that you might become what is written on your clothing . . .
. . . (aren't there plenty of folk whom already believe in that: and why aren't we laughing at their superstitious cultural belief ? ? ?)

If you are yourself truly within the culture in which a custom manifests, you find that you just can not avoid believing in it. The black cat crossing my path thing, is something that I learned rather than grew up in the culture of.

But if I saw a person throwing a bannana peel into the aisle of a Church on another person's wedding day, why then I might have a series of very strange cultural associations form in my mind; and which would be humourous and non-sensical to a person who didn't have that specific playground chant in their memory. But what if the dude had just accidentally dropped a bannana peel and didn't know that a wedding party was due to arrive . . .

When a person believes through the vehicle of culture, rather than the vehicle of religion, the their belief is qualitatively different. Culture is defined by having been cause to become oblivious to any different postion. Religion is defined by having been caused to be able to acknowledge why.
Reply

Curaezipirid
12-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
It just some thing 'old' practices. Currently it seems like NOBODY care about it... :giggling:
We should all care about it because the cultures of Asia which have been in Jihad against Gog and magog for the longest, are the cultures in which strange and odd habits which seem only to be superstitions, are those habits which have, in the past, saved whole populations.

If your mother had taught you that you might die of the flu unless you wore a sarong in the shower you probably would find it demeaning not to. But the truth of the habit of showering with a sarong on, is truly that of preventing our own memory of what we look like naked, from being stolen by the proponents of Gog and magog.

We must all take heed of what the cultures of far east asia have learned over long generations of close contact with the Gog and magog stories and dreaming. Here in Australia, our race gets paler when we come into contact with Gog and magog, as the best means of combatting false use of vanity - we get greedier. (but still need to value those among us whom sustain the black skin genetic as highly valued community members, since they are able to face Gog and magog as black skin people, who see more fully the phenomenon of Gog and magog. - some parts of I will not look at alive)

Old wives tales, or creepy old customs, or just a plain giggle at ourselves for not remembering the original cause . . . we have to learn to constantly re-evaluate our past and rework those habits and customs and stories which proved in the past, and continue to prove now, to be of positive effect.

However, there are old customs which were based themselves in taking a sideways advantage from having been disadvantaged by sihr(black magic), and those are the customs which we no longer need. Money itself is such a phenomenon: a sort of lesser of two evils choice, between swallowing ............?(money=kafr), and putting up with being totally under the influence of shaytan if we are to interact in the mainstream.

I prefer being a hermit, but can not afford to be . . .
well I can, but others ask for my help here in the mainstream, so money is the solution to avoiding the shaytan . . .

Eventually men will be looking back into this time from Jannah and laughing at what absurd customs we had:

"look at her, she just can't stop looking at that machine which has strange disease inducing food in it, and only because she has those round pieces of metal for trade in her pocket! What a joke!"

We shall all have a good ole laugh at our selves in the end.

I guess that the extent to which we can already laugh is the extent to which we are already finding that old ways of avoiding shaytan have become, for our immediate life, obsolete.

But I am wanting to warn that Humanity is not clear of Gog and magog just yet, so it is still good to sift through those old customs and find out if any can still be an efficient way of combatting sihr. Perhaps why many of seem already obsolete is because they are caused by an event that occurred in a far away place. So the habit is only relevant in that exact place.

Like if your family are from Asia, and now in England . . . many customs will be irrelevant, yet others relevant. Like those stories which Rudyard Kipling told for English children, the Just So stories. The one about the baby snake and the mongoose, that works in London because the same story belongs there also.

Maybe the real work for now, is in sorting through what we have known and finding what is relevant to the place we are now in. If there is a fossil fuel shortage, we will all need to be good at inter-cultural communication in the customs which first belonged to the place we are now in.

salams
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-17-2010, 09:39 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-27-2009, 10:31 PM
  3. Replies: 49
    Last Post: 09-16-2008, 09:52 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!