/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The western women, thousands of years on and still oppressed!

True Quran
06-25-2005, 05:21 PM
The western women, thousands of years on and still oppressed!

The revival of Islam is increasingly evident in all forms, present in almost every society and reaching even remote areas that are devoid of Islamic life. Most surprisingly to Western civilisation, this revival is taking place amongst women.

Women whose background is middle class, young and non-Islamic are embracing the pure ideology of Islam.

In today's western society the role of the woman has been debated to exhaustion, with no real solution being put forward. Since the early founders of feminism arising from the feudal society in the 18th century such as Mary Wollstonecraft, to modem day feminists, the western woman is still in a dilemma as to her role and purpose in life.

The Western women have engaged in a long and enduring battle to obtain their rights and recognition as a citizen. It took three generations for the British women to win the most basic rights - that to education, keep their own earnings and to vote. Voting was secured as late as l9l8. Women underwent arrest, humiliation, hunger strikes, protest marches, and societies were very hostile towards them at this time, regarding them as deviants. Economic and political opportunities arose only due to World War II as the men went to fight. As late as 1970, women were still struggling to gain recognition. For example that year on August 26 hundreds of women marched down Fifth Avenue, New York City. Placards read "Housewives are unpaid slaves! State pay for Housework! Oppressed Women! Don't cook dinner, starve your husband tonight! Washing nappies is not fulfilling!"

Today women are fighting the jungle of media illusions, male domination and society exploitation. The sexual revolution has created a wave of oppression on a mass scale, creating a beauty war where young women are under increasing pressure to fit info society's image of the perfect female - thin, tall, fair and young. As a nation British women spend a massive £100 million a year on eve-makeup, £43 million a year on nail products alone, £111 million on shaving accessories, £265 million on hair dyes, and an amazing £500 million a year is spent on cosmetics, toiletries and perfumes - a figure that increases dramatically every year. In fact the Western economy thrives on the cosmetic industry.

But of 200 years of the women's movement what has been the outcome? Today, women comprise approximately 59% of the world's population; they perform two-thirds of all working hours, have fewer professional posts, and make up the vast majority of casual workers. A woman's role has changed from the traditional housewife to one of being a commodity, to be exploited for commercial means. With all this it is no wonder that western women are adopting the ideology of Islam.

Society is understood by Islam to be the main contributor to governing the way we live, our ideas and the viewpoint on life we carry. The aim of Islam is to protect the fabric of society, in doing this the human race, mind, honour, private property, religion, security and state are protected. These ideals are not subject to change and punishments are assigned in order to preserve these aims. These objectives are basic rights enjoyed by both women and men.

Islam has come to deal with the issues concerning the whole of humanity, not just women. However the role of women (and men) are clearly defined and therefore there is no such debate on 'equality'. Their nature is understood to be different, yet complementary to each other. Unlike the problems today caused by man legislating, laws in Islam are not set by man or woman, but rather by the one who fashioned us. Therefore women are neither slave to man, woman, society, nor any other false idol. Any system that has come from man (existing ideologies are from man) is subject to disparity and contradiction since man's thoughts are also influenced by the environment in which he lives.

The economic system of Islam ensured that women were given the right of ownership and inheritance 1400 years ago. During the Islamic State, women were at accomplished in professions such as medicine and Islamic law. Some of the most learned scholars were women. She even had the position of judge. All this was at a time when the rest of the world, including the West, was in its dark ages. Women entering employment was unheard of let alone women with economic independence! During the Khilaafah (Islamic State) women had the right to participate in public affairs and political rights such as the right to vote. There are many examples of women who participated in serious discussions and argued even with the Prophet Mohammed (saw) himself. These rights arose at such a time when women were not even advocating them, there were no demonstrations, no protests or hunger strikes and the Arabian pagan women were known to be the most oppressed before the advent of Islam.

Western civilisation has been cruel to its women. On one hand it wants her to be a mother, while still insisting that she is not successful until she has a career. Islam however has proved to be a real protector of the woman, viewing her as part of creation. Subservience is to the Creator only. She has a complete understanding of her role and aim in life and thus living by the comprehensive criteria of Islam she can hope to achieve ultimate tranquillity. She has the choice to work if she wishes. Muslim women themselves are not surprised by the number of western women converting. Those who understand Islam know that the security, honour and dignity it provides are unsurpassed. The ideological identity bestowed upon women is unique to all other cultures, religions and ideologies. There is no other way of life that provides for all aspects of life and guarantees her not only rights but also honour and dignity.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bittersteel
06-25-2005, 07:04 PM
Islam gives honour and rights to women.But they the west say they are deprived of their freedom.I guess their definition and meaning of freedom of women is to dress up like those western women,exposing half the body,commiting adultery.

They view the stoning to death for adultery as a torture to a woman.

Americans and all those Non-Muslims especially in the west think women are tortured in Middle East Islamic countries like Iran,Saudi Arabia,Syria,Egypt,Iraq.Is the situation really bad for women there?Are women really deprived of their rights in Middle East?I always get well you what when they say "you Muslims torture women" when in Bangladesh I see its exactly the opposite way around.I know Kuwait does not allow women to vote which is ridiculous.Also in Saudi Arabia wome aren't allowed to drive.

for a second thought Are these all true or made up by the west to create a bad image for ME Muslims?Doesn't a single wooman have her rights in an Islamic country there?

Bittersteel
06-27-2005, 06:29 AM
oh that explains it.

are women really looked as second class citizens in Middle-East countries?

Halima
06-27-2005, 06:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Aziz
oh that explains it.

No, they aren't looked as second-class citizens. For example in the middle east, they do have women running authority over the men, and yes, in some middle eastern countries women are allowed to drive, aswell as have an education. So no, they are not considered as second-class citizens rather, they cannot do some of the things men do because that is simply not their role to do. They mostly have to put more attention on what they are required to do by the law of Islam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S_87
06-28-2005, 02:34 PM
oh that explains it.

:sl:
interesting thought

the west will choose what injustice 10 men do to their women and highlight it..but not show how justice

im not middle eastern cant say but i know that i wunt trust the western media

sena
06-28-2005, 03:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Halima
Women are not allowed to drive in Saudi because with them wearing the niquab it will be hard for them to see and which in return that will cause them to have accidents. Even then length of their niquab is too long, it will be a harship of them to out their foot on the gas.

really interesting point. I don't understand why women can't drive a car and vote for rigths. I think that it is very ridiclous situation. Also it is the first time that I hear niquab word. Is the same with hijab?. in Turkey, women who hijab and non-hijab women can drive a car. it is not a problem, also and women can vote. women and men have equal rights in front of Allah. do you know that the first voting rigths for women in the world was given by Turkey in 1923. elhamdulilah we are muslim country as you. these rigths is not against islam religion. I see saudi arabia, ıraq, kuwait, and so on, is not allowed to do these. Forgive me please but these situations come to me very strange.

Halima
06-30-2005, 07:14 PM
Salaam Sister Sena, other sisters,

First of all ,I must say that niquab is different from hijab. What niquab does is that it is like a mask, except that it is not a hard material. The material is very light and translusent but it is still black as to wear no one can tell the facial features of any sort. However, hijab is only meant for the neck, ears and the face unlike the niquab. When you see our sisters wearing niquab you will only see their faces, although I must agree that it is difficult especailly in the summer time to wear such apparrel due to the harsh temperatures. Now see in turkey it's a different story if they wear hijab and they are still driving because the hijab doesn't cover their face. If they were to wear niquab it will be difficual for them to see. They would have to pay extra; extra caution to the roads they are driving.
Secondly, wearing niquab in Turkey is not that common as it is in Saudi. I can understand how might think that these situations might be strange dear sister I really do, because you are not the only sister who feels like this. At first when i heard that woman cannot vote i went belligerent and I was soo desperate to understand why why and why we couldn't vote.

sena
06-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Salam dear sister Halima,

thank you so much for your explanation dear sister. :) yeah I understand that it seems difficult to drive a car while wearing niquab. and in order to vote rights for women, I hope that it changes one day.

may Allah be with all muslims

thanks again sister Halima

:sister:

Bittersteel
07-01-2005, 02:42 PM
like CNN?

Halima
07-02-2005, 05:41 AM
like CNN?

CNN is not just "the western" news but I shallah stay that it is diverted to worldly news.

Uthman
07-02-2005, 07:21 PM

JazakAllah for posting that article True_Quran.

Time is running out but InshaAllah we will get to see the true Islam. :)

:w:

madeenahsh
07-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Asallam alykum warahamatullahi wabarakatuh

need to know something about this article u have sent

InshAllah in good ways please let me know which is the best way to contact you dearest sis True Quran

Barakhatuhllahi feek

Wasallam alykum

Khaldun
07-02-2005, 10:36 PM

Madeenahsh you can use the pm system if you want.

Nakisai
07-02-2005, 10:39 PM
to me I don't see anything wrong with any of this because the man is the head of houshold sometime we woman sometimes we say too much and want to be heard a lil too much. if a woman keeps tryin to play a man's role where would the man stand :sister:

format_quote Originally Posted by sena

really interesting point. I don't understand why women can't drive a car and vote for rigths. I think that it is very ridiclous situation. Also it is the first time that I hear niquab word. Is the same with hijab?. in Turkey, women who hijab and non-hijab women can drive a car. it is not a problem, also and women can vote. women and men have equal rights in front of Allah. do you know that the first voting rigths for women in the world was given by Turkey in 1923. elhamdulilah we are muslim country as you. these rigths is not against islam religion. I see saudi arabia, ıraq, kuwait, and so on, is not allowed to do these. Forgive me please but these situations come to me very strange.

madeenahsh
07-04-2005, 07:59 AM
Asalaam alykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

Dearest sis ,I truly need to know more about where you found this infomative article from, Would you please if possible pm me de site only or the info how and where Yougot hold of this InshAllah kheir

barakatuhllahi feekh
wasallam alykum

Uthman
07-04-2005, 06:23 PM

It's here too if that's any use.

YamahaR1
07-08-2005, 01:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

First, addressing the original post, I am a "western" woman and I am not oppressed.

Second, to address the comment above, I wouldn't place explicit trust in any media. All media presents information in a manner that is fitting to their political agenda. As for me, I read media (that is in English) from all sources. As always, the truth is someone in between those various sources. There are always two sides (some times many) to every story.

Bittersteel
07-09-2005, 03:09 AM
yes there is......well I am tired and I am sure a lot of Muslims are of western media showing how Muslim women are oppressed.....say they are forced to wear the veil..............

junna1
07-10-2005, 11:48 AM

I personally feel that I am totally free when I cover myself for Allah, but when I dress with my body showing I feel oppressed because that means I am a slave to men for selling my body(which I would never do). Look at my sig. :D

YamahaR1
07-11-2005, 04:45 PM
well I am tired and I am sure a lot of Muslims are of western media showing how Muslim women are oppressed.....say they are forced to wear the veil..............
I can't speak for all westerners....just myself. I never thought the veil was oppressive and you can never base your feelings off of what the "western media" says. They are not representative of all westerners.

I suspect some muslims view the way that westerners dress with a critical eye as well. I think it is common to be both critical and leery of what you do not understand. As for me, as long as muslim women can obtain education, receive medical treatment, obtain employment (i.e., have equal access to things needed to sustain life and/or make a living if needed), then I have no concerns with oppression. I don't view oppression as the way one does/does not dress. I view it as freedoms/or lack there of to obtain/have equal access to basic necessities for life.

I choose to wear shorts and a t-shirt with tennis shoes and socks, not because I'm trying to impress a man or want to flaunt my skin It is because it is comfortable and cool....especially when I exercise. I don't wear anything that is low cut (shirts) or too short (shorts, skirts, etc.). And, that is because I respect myself enough to not walk out the door looking like a hooker and I respect my husband (I wouldn't want him to be ashamed of me either).

I will say that I think there is some clothing that many westerners feel to be too revealing as well. Just like other things in the media, it is always the shocking and newsworthy that gets put out in front. Noone wants to hear how the majority lives.

Bittersteel
07-11-2005, 04:54 PM
They are not representative of all westerners.
well yes but in another forum whenever I tried to talk about Islam they said that Islam oppresses women etc.So I got fed up.and they said they got their most of the info from western media.they said that Taleban oppress women so all Muslims oppress women etc.

YamahaR1
07-11-2005, 05:57 PM
well yes but in another forum whenever I tried to talk about Islam they said that Islam oppresses women etc.So I got fed up.and they said they got their most of the info from western media.they said that Taleban oppress women so all Muslims oppress women etc.
Then, I would say that whomever stated that, was not educated on Islam. And, I am certainly no expert....I came here to learn more myself.

On a positive note.....while I can see how frustrating it would be to be misunderstood (believe me, christians and westerners are just as misunderstood and I get frustrated too), I would like to point out the silver lining in this fundamental misunderstanding. If westerners think something is oppressive to muslims and they speak out against it.....it is because they care about the rights of the muslim women/individuals. And, if they think the veil in oppressive, it is because they have been misinformed. So, in a strange sort of way.....they say what they say because they want muslim women to be treated with respect and dignity. This isn't a bad thing, is it?

The best thing you can do is what I try to do and that is to educate those who do not understand things about my way of life.

Bittersteel
07-12-2005, 06:48 AM
Then, I would say that whomever stated that, was not educated on Islam.
They certainly wasn't.and yeah after a bit of posting they stopped a bit.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.