/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever experienced an earthquake ?

Salmaan
11-06-2006, 12:56 PM
:sl:

Have you ?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
11-06-2006, 01:04 PM
A few minor ones. Actualy they were too small to cause any damage or panic.

However, I was in Agadir a few days after their big Quake in the 1950s. The devestation was unbelievable.

Muezzin
11-06-2006, 01:48 PM
I've experienced a minor one that felt like a truck driving past. Which was weird, because I was in my front room. Hmm.

Umar001
11-06-2006, 01:58 PM
I might have experienced some minor ones whilst sleeping, other than that I don't know.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Salmaan
11-06-2006, 04:46 PM
I have not experienced....although in the news it showed that it occured.....lol

Kittygyal
11-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Assalamualikum warhmathullahi warbarakathuhu

Allah Hu A3lim

do me a favour remember me in your Du3'ah!
walikumassalam warhmathullahi warbarakathuhu

strider
11-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Assalamu alaikum

I slept through a minor one. Other then that, no.

Helena
11-06-2006, 07:31 PM
nope i havnt experinced none yet....

united
11-06-2006, 08:38 PM
a minor tremor.
i was on the computer. i thought "that was wierd" and carried on.

united
11-06-2006, 08:40 PM
hmm arent earthquakes supposed to be a punishment from Allah?
whoever wants to experience one must be...

no1_outbider
11-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Maybe slept through a couple!

But it iz pretty scary even though i would want to experience the most stupid stuff lol however not this....... but the ones that go through it ........ there whole life changes i.e. the pakistan one n more!

May allah give patience

Salmaan
11-07-2006, 06:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by united
hmm arent earthquakes supposed to be a punishment from Allah?
whoever wants to experience one must be...
no matter we want to experience an earthquake or not....but we all shall experience an unimaginable EARTH QUAKE on the Doomsday when Allah will shake the earth with a terrible shake.....and on that day man will run helter-skelter for refuge....but there will be NO refuge....except as Allah wills....
Allah knows best.

north_malaysian
11-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Do tremors count?:rollseyes

Any earthquake happens in Sumatra, we would feel the tremors too...

Yeah... and the hardest one I've ever experienced... the one that produced tsunami in 2004.

Ismahaan
11-07-2006, 11:55 AM
I experienced a minor earthquake in Cairo, Egypt last year. It was sooo minor, but soooo scary. Not everyone felt it...which I find strange to this day :?

Salmaan
11-07-2006, 12:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Do tremors count?:rollseyes

Any earthquake happens in Sumatra, we would feel the tremors too...

Yeah... and the hardest one I've ever experienced... the one that produced tsunami in 2004.
Yes, tremors also count. ....oh yes, that 2004 earthquake was a strong one of 9.5 magnitude....which produced huge high speed tsunami waves as well....the earthquake along with the tsunami :rollseyes caused large scale destruction....Allahu Akbar !

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
11-07-2006, 12:41 PM
There was a minor one around our sides but I was a sleep.

Salmaan
11-07-2006, 12:46 PM
why most of the people here have experienced earthquakes and tremors only in their sleeps ^o)....lol ;D

Abdul-Raouf
11-07-2006, 12:53 PM
It was about 5yrs back....... i was sitting on a sofa(it was a 3 seater and had wheels) and was watching TV... suddenly the stool infront and the sofa started to shake... it was a minor EARTH QUAKE(SHAKE)... for about 4 seconds... BUT EVERY ONE OF US TRIED TO RUN OUT OF OUR HOUSE>>>

AFTER THAT,

THE OTHER NATURAL DISASTER MY CITY(CHENNAI - MADRAS) - and - MY STATE (TAMIL NADU) EXPERIENCED WAS TSUNAMI.... THAT WAS THE WORST OF ALL.... OUR LOCATION WAS NOT AFFECTED MUCH..(WE ARE MORE THAN 20KMS AWAY FROM THE SEA)...

BUT PEOPE IN THE COASTAL AREAS WERE BADLY AFFECTED... OUR STATE WAS THE MOST AFFECTED ONE IN OUR COUNTRY..... OVERALL THE WORST AFFECTED WAS OUR NEIGHBOURING COUNTRY SRI LANKA

Hijaabi22
11-07-2006, 09:08 PM
ALHAMDULILLAH NO! Nuthin wud terrify me more, I hope never to witness such a thing inshaAllah!

Woodrow
11-07-2006, 09:18 PM
Most of us have probably experienced a small quake and did not notice it. Several thousand Earthquakes occur each day. Most are on the ocean floor and go noticed. Many that occur on land are not even noticed especialy in large cities where they tend to blend in with the rumbling of traffic.

Every country has had some catastrophic quakes and although some areas are more prone to them there are no completly free areas.

Fishman
11-07-2006, 09:23 PM
I've experienced several minor tremors, the UK gets quite a lot of them, probably due to being both an old orogenic belt (mountain range) and being quite close to the mid-Atlantic ridge. I would like to experience one again as long as it wasn't a devasting or dangerous one.
:w:

bobaloo
11-07-2006, 09:41 PM
About 20 years ago, I was playing center field (baseball) and there was a little quake. It got real quiet, and everyone just looked at each other for a few seconds. It was a kind of a cool feeling. But I think a big one would be a totally different story.

BlissfullyJaded
11-07-2006, 10:21 PM

Yes, I've experienced some relatively minor ones, and I've slept through some. Alhamdulillah it wasn't anything too bad on our side.

Curaezipirid
11-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Waram, I put yes but really I experienced only few instances of Earth tremors that might have been a quake in another place, but I could feel very minor vibration and also a sound, but only in my inner ear. There have been lots of occurrances of that very slight set of sensations of Earth tremors among the Aboriginal community in Northern NSW going on for years, and folk there are really very scared about that. But the area is long dormant, although it has the biggest visible volcano caldera on Earth right there, which explains why the population readily attune with fear of. The caldera is that circle of mountains around the inner volcanic plug called Mount Warning, which is where the sun light first touches the Australian mainland every morning. It is a stikingly beautiful but very eerie place. The mountains name in Aboriginal language means cloud gatherer. But we are now in the longest drought in written record and there was a meeting of all the State Premiers and the Prime Minister yesterday, at which it was announced that this drought is of a thousand year cycle rather than a hundred year cycle in its magnitude. So sever that by the time the rains come the climate will have changed to the extent that crops that can't go in this spring might never go in again. Within the belief structure of indigenous people these facts all put together can easily be taken to mean that the Earth tremors were happening because of too many persons making work towards rainmaking when it is not in Allah's will for rain. But I guess that you might need to be quite superstitious to believe that without the degree of scientific verification that is normal among Indigenous Australians of the normal relationships between land, weather, and Human psychology.

Here but I can tell something funny. My mother lived in Japan for four years, and experienced a few Earthquakes there. Some Earthquakes move side to side and some move up and down, and the two sorts are experientially very different. (like the difference between black magic that tricks about when any matter occurred, and black magic that tricks about what density of matter any event occurred with) Once she was sitting on the toilet when and up and down vibrating Earthquake began and the toilet dropped away below her far enough that she, for a moment, was sitting on nothing.imsad ;D :okay:

Curaezipirid
11-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Also I was in a mud slide. A side of a mountain slipped down into the small flats we were at, in the only two buildings in a very narrow mountain valley in New Zealand. There were boulders the size of houses, and old trees all snapped like matches. The buildings belonged to the National Parks and the one the Park Ranger was in began to moved down the valley with him still in it and he jumped off the verandah and landed at pipes stiking out of the wall of the building we were in, then we opened the window and before he even got in to safety he shouted "everybody upstairs quick" and by the time the last person was on those stairs there was mud and rocks and trees exploding into the downstairs of the building.

The day before when we had arrived we saw that there was a place for boots outside so as not to get mud in the building, and we had followed the example of some Scandanavian Mountain climbers and taken our boots off and left them there. But since that spot was buried the National Parkes association rescued us by helicopter. They were going to make us walk back. I don't know about anybody else but in situations like that, once a head count is made, and if there is no work needing urgent immediate effort, I just can't help but find the funny side. Natural disasters always magnify the absurdity of our notions of what reality is.

waram

snakelegs
11-08-2006, 12:09 AM
living in southern california, i've experienced a number of them - including some that did serious damage, tho not right where i live. i live on a fork of a major fault.

Aisha20
11-08-2006, 12:31 AM
yes.. da first one was like at 3:00 n i was sleeping :D my dad came running and told us to evacuate the area.. cuz i lived in an building and in the last floor... it didnt take too much but it was scary.
the second one was also at the same time.. i was awake cuz i went to the bathroom, n when i came.. i cant get asleep so i was in my bed doing nothing when everything began to move.. n my lamp broke up n i began shouting. at least ever1 heard my shouts :D :X then super mom came... n u know the rest lol. after that we all cant get asleep again so... keep on :-\

north_malaysian
11-08-2006, 03:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salmaan
Yes, tremors also count. ....oh yes, that 2004 earthquake was a strong one of 9.5 magnitude....which produced huge high speed tsunami waves as well....the earthquake along with the tsunami :rollseyes caused large scale destruction....Allahu Akbar !
I've voted yes... and inshallah DONT WANT to experience it again. It was crazy back then...

Usually... when there are tremors people living flats or condos (which is over 10 floors) will be evacuated for a while... then they move in again and do usual thing.

That's what people did on that fateful day, we never experience tsunami. So many people went to beaches ... as it was sunday..

I only knew about it at 4.00 PM after a neighbour told us (because Malaysian tv channels tell nothing about tsunami happened hours ago - and of course they was heavily criticised by the public for that).

Later... when there were tremors people starting evacuating, some running here and there avoiding the coastal area..

north_malaysian
11-08-2006, 03:32 AM
why most of the people here have experienced earthquakes and tremors only in their sleeps ^o)....lol ;D
I've experienced it when I was surfing the net that morning.

Asyur an-Nagi
11-08-2006, 03:36 AM
indonesia my homeland is an earthquake galore. you can feel the minor ones twice a year. and the WORLD can feel the MAJOR quake in each show (krakatoa, tambora, gunung agung, aceh tsunami).

in the option i voted for yes n i want to feel it again, since it's unavoidably worth waiting.

north_malaysian
11-08-2006, 03:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asyur an-Nagi
(krakatoa, tambora, gunung agung, aceh tsunami).
I knew about Krakatau and Tambora.... but Gunung Agung? When was that?

Asyur an-Nagi
11-08-2006, 04:06 AM
it is located in Bali. an active volcano. last remarkable erruption was 1963.

north_malaysian
11-08-2006, 04:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asyur an-Nagi
it is located in Bali. an active volcano. last remarkable erruption was 1963.
Oh... was it too devastating like Aceh, tambora, krakatau?

Asyur an-Nagi
11-08-2006, 04:25 AM
not really. aceh, tambora and krakatau were the cherry of the quakes.

Grace Seeker
11-08-2006, 08:48 AM
I have experienced 4. The first three I didn't even notice. A small one as a kid while playing outside. My mom had to tell me about the plates rattling on the wall when I came in.

Another as an adult that I too slept through on the couch on a lazy Sunday afternoon. I woke up on the floor and couldn't figure out how I got there, till I heard the news.

Then one at a convention. The folks on the top floor of the hotel were scared because it swayed so. But those of us on the ground floor felt nothing and couldn't understand why all of a sudden there were people running down the stair past us and out the doors.

None of these were particularly notable, between 3.5 and 4. The worst damage were fallen chimmenies.

Then last year I was 15 kilometers from the epicenter of a 7.9 earthquake. That is a completely different story.

north_malaysian
11-08-2006, 08:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker

Then last year I was 15 kilometers from the epicenter of a 7.9 earthquake. That is a completely different story.
where is it?

Grace Seeker
11-08-2006, 08:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
where is it?
In the altiplano of northern Chile. About 100 kilometers inland from Iquique.

Younus
11-11-2006, 05:01 PM
The Earthquakes

Shaykh Saalih al-Hamraani

Translation of a Khutbah (08/27/99)

Have fear and consciousness of Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala and ponder over events that happen around you. Learn lessons from them and remember, for the intelligent one is he who remembers and takes admonition.

The topic of this khutbah is the destructive earthquake that hit part of Turkey. The earthquake which caused thousands of people to die, caused loss of wealth and properties, and forced people to seek refuge outside of their dwellings, now being without their home and their wealth, and without food and drink. The earthquake which turned security into fear, richness into poverty, caused joined families to depart, and turned life into death. Without doubt, in it is a lesson for those who take lessons and a reminder for those who remember, so that they may return to their Lord and their Creator.

The Truthful, the Chosen one (as-Saadiq al-Mustafa), sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam, has informed us that a multitude of earthquakes is a sign of the proximity of the Hour. He informed us that they would be many at the end of the time.

Ahmad relates in a hadeeth narrated by Abu Hurairah, radhiallahu `anhu, that the Prophet, sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam said, "The Hour will not happen until knowledge is taken out, time passes quickly, earthquakes increase in number, tribulations (fitan) appear, and al-Harj increases in number." It was said, "What is al-Harj, O Rasoolullah?" He said, "Al Qatl, al Qatl (Killing)".

A lot of what is mentioned in this hadeeth has already materialized.

Happenings of earthquakes and the like from other destructive and disastrous events are the greatest evidence of the astonishing power of Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala. Earthquakes are from among the soldiers of Allah, subhanahu wa ta`ala, subjected to His order. He, subhanahu wa ta`ala, causes fear in the hearts of those whom He wills, teaches lessons whom He wills and punishes whom He wills.

"And none can know the Forces of your Lord, except He." (74:31)

"For to Allah belong the Forces of the heavens and the earth." (48:7)

If the Ummah leaves Allah's Sharee`ah, ignores the Deen of Allah ta`ala and follows its enemies, Allah will subjugate it to His armies, which no one knows except He. From among these armies are the earthquakes.

"Such is the Seizure of your Lord when He seizes the towns while they are doing wrong. Verily, His Seizure is painful and severe." (11:102)

"When We decide to destroy a town, We (first) send a definite order (to obey Allah and be righteous) to those among them who are given the good things of this life. Then, they transgress therein, and thus the word (of torment) is justified against (them). Then we destroy it with complete destruction." (17:16)

Allah, subhanahu wa ta`ala, with this earthquake makes clear to His servants a plain reality, that the kingdom of the heavens and the earth is in His Hands, subhanahu wa ta`ala, and that He is the Irresistible and Dominant over His servants.

Some people may be astonished by what the West has from the materialistic power, from various weapons, aircraft carriers, bombs, satellites etc., and they forget that Allah, subhanahu wa ta`ala, allowed that piece of land to move and shake, being able to shake the force of the West and the East. Everything is in His Hands, He has power over all things, and no one in the Heavens and the Earth can weaken Him, subhanahu wa ta`ala. Appearance of the earthquakes therefore points us to a different reality that may be absent in the minds of some people, those who are busy with this world and who are servants of materialism.

This earthquake also reminds us of the Day of Judgment. The Day when all of the Earth will shake, and not only one part of it. Allahu subhanahu wa ta`ala says,

"O mankind! Fear your Lord and be dutiful to Him! Verily, the earthquake of the Hour is a terrible thing. The Day you shall see it, every nursing mother will forget her nursling, and every pregnant one shall drop her load, and you shall see mankind as in a drunken state. Yet they will not be drunken, but the Torment of Allah will be severe." (22:1-2)

Look what is left after the earthquake from destroyed buildings and houses, deaths of thousands, and families seeking refuge outside of their homes. What state is that in which everyone is running away, caring about nothing? So what do you think of the Day of Judgment?

"That Day shall a man flee from his own brother, and from his mother and his father, and from his wife and his children." (80:34-36)

"One the day (when the first blowing of the Trumpet is blown), the earth and the mountains will shake violently." (79:6)

Allah ta`ala warns His servants with this earthquake to learn a lesson and be admonished, and to be ready and prepare themselves for the Day of sorting out, the day of the great earthquake, that will shake all of the earth.

Allah ta`ala has placed in this universe Sunan, fixed and manifest laws, neither do they change nor are they replaceable. He does not have any kinship with anyone, He is the sole Creator and Ruler, and He will question and hold accountable everyone, including prophets and messengers. "Then surely, We shall question those to whom it (the Book) was sent and We shall question the Messengers." (7:6)

From among the established Sunan of Allah is that He does not send punishment except due to sin and He does not remove it except after repentance. Allah ta`ala says, "Whatever misfortune befalls you, it is because of what your hands have earned." (42:30)

Allah the Mighty and Majestic says: "Evil and mischief have appeared on land and sea because of what the hands of men have earned, that Allah may make them taste a part of that which they have done, in order that they may return (by repenting to Allah)." [30:41]

Every disaster and every calamity that befalls the servants is due to their sins and wrongdoing. So know, servants of Allah, what wrongdoing does to its doers.

What has taken Adam and Eve from the Jannah except wrongdoing, and what Has drowned all of the people on the earth at the time of Nooh, to the point that water reached the peak of mountains, except wrongdoing?

Who is it who sent the furious violent wind upon the people of `Aad, so that they were seen lying overthrown and destroyed, as if they were hollow trunks of palm-trees? Who is it who sent the awful cry upon the people of Thamud until it cut their hearts inside their bodies, and they all fell dead without exception? Who lifted the villages of the people of Loot till the angels heard barking of their dogs, then turned them upside down, and then rained upon them a rain of stones?

That is the immediate punishment for wrongdoing: drowning, fire, earthquakes, destruction, famine, raging wind... "And the torment of the hereafter is far more severe and more lasting." (20:127)

Do we not take admonition and lesson? Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala says, "Did We not destroy the ancients? So shall We make the later generations to follow them. Thus do We deal with the Mujrimoon (criminals, disbelievers, sinners.). Woe that Day to the deniers (of the Day of Resurrection)!" [77:16-19]

The earthquake of Turkey is just a warning from Allah, subhanahu wa ta`ala - not only to the people of that country alone, but rather to the Muslims in general, in all lands - that they may return to their Lord and their Deen. Otherwise a punishment will come upon them. Allah ta`ala says, "So We seized each of them for his sins." (29:40)

Many of the Muslims today have gathered many sins. We see those who delay and neglect prayers, eat haram, deal with riba, do not fulfill their trusts, order the evil and forbid the good. Those who indulge in mixing, display of awra, listening to music and songs, and those who have abandoned the Qur'an. All these exist in our society. Let us fear Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala and preserve what we have from the blessings, for wrongdoing removes blessings, rather it changes it to a curse. And let us be warned of an evil end, for Allah gives us a chance but is not neglectful. What has happened to the previous nations and some of the current ones will happen to us if we obey the Shaytan and go far from the path of the Most Merciful. These are the sunan of Allah that will never change.

"Or do you feel secure that He, Who is over the Heaven, will not cause the earth to sink with you, then behold it shakes (as in an earthquake)? Or do you feel secure that He, Who is over the heaven, will not send against you a violent whirlwind? Then you shall know how (terrible) was My Warning." (67:16-17)

Let us pause and ask ourselves what has been the tangible impact on us since we have heard and seen this earthquake, and what it has left from the mighty and scary destruction that makes the hearts bleed. The happy one is one who learns from the calamity of others, and the sad one is by whom these calamities pass while he takes no lesson from them.

Just recently the sun eclipsed, then followed the floods, then the strong wind, and then this earthquake happened. The people are still as they were before, you see no change. You do not see people going back to the path of Allah and you do not see any crowds in mosques. It is unfortunate that the explanation offered for these events is that they are normal natural disasters, and that they do not link it to what happens to people due to their wrongdoing. Theirs is clearly an incorrect interpretation.

"And We sent not the signs except to warn, and to make them afraid (of destruction)." (17:59)

Snowflake
11-11-2006, 08:10 PM

Have you ?
yeh, there was one a few years back in the Black Country. But the tremors reaches Birmingham. It wasn't big, the house just shook a little.

The other one was when I was in Pakistan. My bed shook so badly I thought there was a jin shaking it. Then I found out it was an earth quake lol.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Nope, haven't experienced any, not that i know of. I don't wana have too ever! InshAllah.

Younus
11-12-2006, 07:31 AM

I have never expeienced an earthquake.
Many of us here may not have experienced an earthquake till now.
But we all shall experience a terrible earthquake which cannot be imagined.
It is The Doomsday when Allah will shake the earth with a terrible shake....and on that day man will say, " where is the refuge (to flee) ? ".
But there will be NO refuge, except as Allah wills.

learningislam
11-12-2006, 08:29 AM
:salamext:

I did experience....... 4 or 5 times. But two of them were major ones.
I felt like..... its the last scene of my life. REal Scaring!

It was as if nothing is in ur control and u cant think of anything...............
but Allah, and to seek forgiveness of ur sins.

You see, pieces of cement falling down...and the paint pieces too. Its more real and scaring than an action movie!!!!!

For more than a week, i felt my legs trembling.....and every time i stood on the ground.......i felt...as it was earthquake again......but not, it was my legs......

As Allah swt says in the Quran :
Do ye feel secure that He Who is in heaven will not cause you to be swallowed up by the earth when it shakes (as in an earthquake)?
verse 16, surah mulk

Just because.....i have myself experienced an earthquake....i can tell that,the verses in quran that tell about shaking of earth..... are so real.
Its a kind of reminder, a sign of Allah........and yes, that the Quran is truth.

I dont know if it makes sense to anyone.....but to me, it does.

:wasalamex

DigitalStorm82
11-12-2006, 04:04 PM
I've experienced bunch of minor ones... the most damage it did was throw off couple of dishes to the floor...

It feels like you're dizzy.

The Ruler
11-12-2006, 04:07 PM

hmmm...i haven't yet...but weirdly enough i would like to...as in a minor one :-\...is that a bad wish :?

:w:

DigitalStorm82
11-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Why ask for a calamity?

learningislam
11-12-2006, 04:15 PM
:salamext:

hmmm...i haven't yet...but weirdly enough i would like to...as in a minor one ...is that a bad wish
sis glacier.....i had many sleepless nights after that......i wanted to sleep...as i had not slept for 2 days ...or more.....but couldnot as i felt..... the earthquake might hit again

Dont make such stupid wishes..... reality is much different from that what we preceive.....

:wasalamex

abdur_Rahmaan
11-13-2006, 03:17 AM
no, i haven't, walhamdulillaah. do you mean in a metaphorical or physical sense, feeling an earthquake?

Eesa Abdullah
11-13-2006, 09:46 PM
bismillah

assalaamu alaikum,

I am neutral in experiencing one. Perhaps it will increase my taqwa, insha'ALLAAH.

M2A^AKIB^
11-21-2006, 08:19 PM
back when i was a 4 year old kid, i was in the mosque for maghrib prayer. when the imam started praying the ground starts shaking, and everyone just started panicking, going for the door. i almost lost my balance fell to the ground. it lasted for about 8 seconds may be.
that's the only memorable earthquake experience.

Younus
11-22-2006, 07:39 AM
^^
When the earthquake struck, the people were praying and the salaat had begun, but the people got feared for saving their lives, so they disrupted their salaah and went for the door ??!!! That shows the weakness of the iman. Allah knows best.

Instead of fearing for their lives, they should have feared Allah and continued their salaah in that state of the earth quaking.
Life and death are in the hands of Allah.
If we die when the earth quakes while we are in the state of salaah, Allah would grant us the status of martyrs, inshaaAllah !!
Life and death are in the hands of Allah.
Allah is The One Who owns us fully and nothing happens in the universe except as a result of His will.
Allah knows best.

May Allah guide us inshaaAllah !
aameen !

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.