/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Democrats win US House, close in on Senate

imaad_udeen
11-08-2006, 05:54 AM
As of now the US House of Representatives will have a democrat majority. We should see the first female Speaker of the House in US history in Nancy Pelosi.

The Democrats need to pick up three or four seats as of right now 12:51am EST to also grab control of the Senate.

I don't think they will pull out the Senate win, but if they do and end up in control of both sections of Congress, it will make the Presidents job much mroe difficult.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
11-08-2006, 08:26 AM
How many seat left in Senate?

imaad_udeen
11-08-2006, 08:58 AM
They need to get two more seats to win the Senate majority.

It is being predicted that they will get those final two states, but the races are close.

Keltoi
11-08-2006, 03:01 PM
A Democratic congress might make it difficult for Bush to implement any domestic agenda, but it is still the president that controls U.S. foreign policy.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MTAFFI
11-08-2006, 03:09 PM
keltoi if you dont mind me asking, are you democrat or republican, i am guessing republican from some of your posts i have read

Keltoi
11-08-2006, 03:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
keltoi if you dont mind me asking, are you democrat or republican, i am guessing republican from some of your posts i have read
Yes, I usually vote Republican. Although I'm one of those weird Repubs who actually voted for Clinton once.

MTAFFI
11-08-2006, 03:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Yes, I usually vote Republican. Although I'm one of those weird Repubs who actually voted for Clinton once.
haha i voted for him too! i like to think of myself as a southern democrat, basically a republican but i would vote for things like stem cell research, etc

imaad_udeen
11-08-2006, 07:09 PM
I voted for Clinton in his final election.

Voted for Bush twice after that.

Fishman
11-08-2006, 07:12 PM
:sl:
There will also be the first ever Muslim in Congress! Alhamdulilah!
:w:

Woodrow
11-08-2006, 07:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
:sl:
There will also be the first ever Muslim in Congress! Alhamdulilah!
:w:
That is a very important first step. The door is now open for more Muslims to become politicaly active and have a voice over the policies of the Country. I do not forsee the USA ever becoming an Islamic Nation, but I can see laws coming about that will be acceptable to both Muslims and Non-Muslims.

chacha_jalebi
11-08-2006, 07:31 PM
so can i ask now,

does this mean that georgey bushy, has to leave? isnt he president anymore?

Muezzin
11-08-2006, 07:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
so can i ask now,

Oh no, he's still the president. These aren't the presidential elections. Besides, this is his final term (I think, though being an ignorant Brit I could be completely wrong).

Woodrow
11-08-2006, 07:38 PM
so can i ask now,

Nope, this mid-term election has no bearing on the presidency.

However, the president is limited as to what he can do and not do by the congress. Most of what the world see's as actions of the President are the actions of congress. Our President is pretty much at the mercy of congress and without their suppport he is very limited. He is also limited in how much he can do to stop any actions that congress approves of.

Much of the events of the past few years would have remined unchanged, no matter who was President, if the House and Senate were the Same. What we see is not the result of any one person's decisions.

glo
11-08-2006, 07:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
That is a very important first step. The door is now open for more Muslims to become politicaly active and have a voice over the policies of the Country. I do not forsee the USA ever becoming an Islamic Nation, but I can see laws coming about that will be acceptable to both Muslims and Non-Muslims.
Greeting, Woodrow

I wish more Muslims became active in politics and policy-making!
Not just at governmental level, but also at local level.
In local authorities, on school councils, in community groups ... there are so many ways to get your voice heard!

Peace

Woodrow
11-08-2006, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Greeting, Woodrow

I wish more Muslims became active in politics and policy-making!
Not just at governmental level, but also at local level.
In local authorities, on school councils, in community groups ... there are so many ways to get your voice heard!

Peace
Very true. Good constructive peacefull changes can be easily made and be not only tolerable but acceptable to both Muslims and non-Muslims. Muslims here in the US have to shake the idea that they are powerless and learn just how much good they can do.

There have been many changes here in Austin, from Muslim influence and it is found that it is very acceptable to the non-Muslim population. From what I have seen here it does not appear that all Muslims in the US have discovered they have a voice in government. Perhaps it is because the Muslim population of Austin is basicaly highly educated people, the majority of our Muslim population are professional people. It is for these reasons that the University of Texas in Austin now has a Department of Islamic Education, with the courses being taught by Islamic Scholars and the Department heads being active Muslims.

This can happen in any community that has a significant Muslim population and is willing to use peaceful means for change.

imaad_udeen
11-08-2006, 08:11 PM
This is Bush's final term in office. He has until January '08 iirc.

Woodrow
11-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Bush is now what we call a "Lame Duck" President. He is not eligible for re-election and no longer has the support of Congress. He is left virtualy powerless.

blunderbus
11-09-2006, 03:25 AM
He can still can veto any bill sent to him by Congress, preventing it from becoming law. To override the veto requires a 2/3 vote in both houses. Democrats don't have that much of a majority.

north_malaysian
11-09-2006, 03:56 AM
so can i ask now,

American legislative system is different to our parliamentary system. Because we dont vote for Prime Minister.

Woodrow
11-09-2006, 05:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by blunderbus
He can still can veto any bill sent to him by Congress, preventing it from becoming law. To override the veto requires a 2/3 vote in both houses. Democrats don't have that much of a majority.
That is true. However, with both houses tied up it will be nearly impossible to get any bill passed by the house and senate unless it does have good support of both Republicans and democrats.

Tania
11-09-2006, 05:20 AM
It means in few weeks we will can see a major change of the foreign policy of states:? What wanted to say Perosi regarding Iraq, she only mentioned we can't tolerate this. I want to ask :-[ she is against the war in Iraq or she wish to send more army there:? In our news the report were very short, i couldn't understand what do they want to do :-[

Bittersteel
11-09-2006, 05:25 AM
you know what?Bush should be encouraged to rectify the mistakes and implement a new strategy in Iraq.to save the lives of both Iraqis and US servicemen.This war should never have been fought(Iraq war).

should have concentrated on Afghanistan,pressured Musharraf to act quickly.Nab Bin laden and al-qaida.Buts its too late for that.So democrats and Republicans need to work together quickly.

Tania
11-09-2006, 05:30 AM
Do you want to say for the people of Iraq would be more beneficial if the army will remain there:? I had the feeling they don't like them there and the fact the oil is not paid, made their country to be more poor(cutted off an income source).

Wahid
11-09-2006, 08:11 AM
This is good news, US forces are much more likely to withdraw from Iraq now because democrats aren’t interested in the fight

north_malaysian
11-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Before, some wacko people said that Muslims are allowed to kill American civilians because they support Muslims oppressor Bush.

Now Americans show the world that majority of them protest against Bush. Would this mean that these crazy people would declare that... "OK... now we cant kill American civilians"?:rollseyes

Ninth_Scribe
11-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Bush is now what we call a "Lame Duck" President. He is not eligible for re-election and no longer has the support of Congress. He is left virtualy powerless.
Well, democracy might not have been such a hot idea for the Middle East, but it sure works here... and the people have spoken. Whew! What a ride that was! As I said before, Bush does not deserve command of our military. What a *******!

Love is in the air... and a sky's worth of healing rays~~~~

Ninth Scribe

Ninth_Scribe
11-09-2006, 07:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Before, some wacko people said that Muslims are allowed to kill American civilians because they support Muslims oppressor Bush.

Now Americans show the world that majority of them protest against Bush. Would this mean that these crazy people would declare that... "OK... now we cant kill American civilians"?:rollseyes
We just have to "reverse" the trend of Muslim oppression. For what it's worth 911 brought the lesson home in vivid color. I hate to sound like I'm for what Osama bin Laden did, but only a handful of us knew about what happened to Palestine. Now, every person in this country knows... and they're not pleased! It shouldn't have taken something as drastic as 911 for these people (Palestine) to be heard, but what ever.

I think a session of round-the-table forgivenesses would do nicely and perhaps then we can get back to the issues that caused all this dissent and resolve them. Obviously, arming Israel without studying their claim carefully enough, did not "help" them, and it certainly didn't "help" us. It did "help" anyone!

But as my mother tells me: For every illness, there's always a cure.

Spreads wings... in search of~~~~

Ninth Scribe

Ninth_Scribe
11-09-2006, 07:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wahid
This is good news, US forces are much more likely to withdraw from Iraq now because democrats aren’t interested in the fight
Well, you only have to look at who it is we've been fighting to realize how warped the misadventure is. Every day, I force myself to read the reports in western media and places like Jus One ~ and when I put them together... I still cry, even after telling myself I won't this time or that.

Ninth Scribe

Ninth_Scribe
11-09-2006, 07:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Emir Aziz
you know what?Bush should be encouraged to rectify the mistakes and implement a new strategy in Iraq.to save the lives of both Iraqis and US servicemen.This war should never have been fought(Iraq war).

should have concentrated on Afghanistan,pressured Musharraf to act quickly.Nab Bin laden and al-qaida.Buts its too late for that.So democrats and Republicans need to work together quickly.
Bush is going to rectify the mistakes... but he would never have done it while he had control over the senate. This man has a real problem with authority. Some people are like that... kind and well intended until they get money or power, and then their evil twin comes out. So we clipped his wings.

Ninth Scribe

Keltoi
11-09-2006, 09:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ninth_Scribe
We just have to "reverse" the trend of Muslim oppression. For what it's worth 911 brought the lesson home in vivid color. I hate to sound like I'm for what Osama bin Laden did, but only a handful of us knew about what happened to Palestine. Now, every person in this country knows... and they're not pleased! It shouldn't have taken something as drastic as 911 for these people (Palestine) to be heard, but what ever.

I think a session of round-the-table forgivenesses would do nicely and perhaps then we can get back to the issues that caused all this dissent and resolve them. Obviously, arming Israel without studying their claim carefully enough, did not "help" them, and it certainly didn't "help" us. It did "help" anyone!

But as my mother tells me: For every illness, there's always a cure.

Spreads wings... in search of~~~~

Ninth Scribe
If you think the majority of Americans are sitting around thinking that terrorists are justified because of what "happened in Palestine" you are gravely mistaken. This vote had nothing to do with the American people being "against" a war, it was more about winning and a change of direction and input. If you notice, the majority of Democrats that were elected are hard middle if not outright conservative, so this was hardly an embrace of liberalism.

Erundur
11-09-2006, 09:30 PM
That is true. However, with both houses tied up it will be nearly impossible to get any bill passed by the house and senate unless it does have good support of both Republicans and democrats.
Now they have to like...OMG create to work a level of Bi-Partisanship :muddlehea :blind: :ooh: :phew

No more easy passes

Selising
11-10-2006, 04:52 AM
Be it Democrats or Republicans win the election, all of them has been supported by jews the win the election.

elections need a lot of money for the campaign. these people supported them, they must give something in return to what has been given. Never dream of Israeli troops will be nice to Palestinians. Never dream that they will never kill Muslim children anymore. They went to Labenon to serach for PAlestinians, soon they will go to Jordan, Egypt, and all arabs countries, bombing them, and US with his nato power will say, let them go whereever in this world to kill the Palestinians. WHoever the President of America, be it democrate or Republican, they have been paid, have been helped by those jews!

north_malaysian
11-10-2006, 06:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Selising
Be it Democrats or Republicans win the election, all of them has been supported by jews the win the election.

elections need a lot of money for the campaign. these people supported them, they must give something in return to what has been given. Never dream of Israeli troops will be nice to Palestinians. Never dream that they will never kill Muslim children anymore. They went to Labenon to serach for PAlestinians, soon they will go to Jordan, Egypt, and all arabs countries, bombing them, and US with his nato power will say, let them go whereever in this world to kill the Palestinians. WHoever the President of America, be it democrate or Republican, they have been paid, have been helped by those jews!

Democrats won and being helped by Muslims and Arabs too.... At least they have one Muslim congressman....

Selising
11-10-2006, 06:14 AM
Democrats won and being helped by Muslims and Arabs too.... At least they have one Muslim congressman....
Yeah only one muslim of 200+ seats

But make sure he is not from Amina Wadud's group

Woodrow
11-10-2006, 06:45 AM
Muslims in the US now outnumber Jews and for average income the Muslim population has the highest per capita income of any group

The average annual household income of U.S. Muslims is $11,000 more than the overall U.S. average, and Muslims have more bachelor’s and advanced degrees than the norm, according to census data and a 2002 study by Cornell University. Two-thirds of U.S. Muslims are younger than 40.
Source:http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2004/04540.htm

. Financialy the largest investor in the American economy is Japan. Saudi Arabia is also a large investor.

I believe the days of saying American Politics are owned by Jews is no longer true, if it ever had been.

Selising
11-10-2006, 07:56 AM
Muslims in the US now outnumber Jews and for average income the Muslim population has the highest per capita income of any group

. Financialy the largest investor in the American economy is Japan. Saudi Arabia is also a large investor.

I believe the days of saying American Politics are owned by Jews is no longer true, if it ever had been.
wow! thanks sis for the eye opening statement and links

north_malaysian
11-10-2006, 08:23 AM

WOW. American Muslims are better than Muslims in Europe then... :uuh:

Woodrow
11-10-2006, 03:22 PM
WOW. American Muslims are better than Muslims in Europe then... :uuh:
From what I have been reading I would agree with that. The high standards of Islamic life style is very conducive for success here. although American Businessmen have a reputation of being party animals and make their money from ill gotten deals, the successfull ones are those who are able to keep their minds on proper business tactics and do not fall into the temporary trap of worldly inticements. It takes a well trained mind and high moral standards to actually be successfull in the business world. Muslims seem to have those traits and they are reaping the rewards for keeping their standards.

Throughout much of the European world it is only the old established families that have any chance of sharing in a countries prosperity. Newcomers are often discourged and often can not "fit" in with the employment circles of European society, so the result is poverty, once whatever they entered into the country with is gone. America has few old established families, we are a nation of immigrants and a very large percentage of us are only second or third generation Americans. Yes, there are a few old established wealthy families that trace they roots back many generations, but most of us are "new" kids on the block and have yet to get relaxed and sit on the earnings of our ancestors.

The "Wealthy" Americans that the world often sees are not the successfull people that have worked hard for a living. Most often they are heirs squandering any wealth accumulated by their Parents and Grand-Parents. All too often what non-Americans see as what looks like successfull Americans are squanderers wasting what they have inherited and did not earn with their own hard work. It does not last long. Only, the people that work in honest work and for the proper reasons develop true lasting wealth. Muslims are doing just that.

Before this is brought up by others. It is true that to a large extent Black Americans have had little oppotunity to share in the American dream. It is true that they have been in America longer then most white American families. Sadly, it is probably because of the reasons they are here and the Centuries old misconceptions that have held them back. Remember, the ancestors of our Black citizens did not come here of their own free will. They were brought in as slaves. It was only in 1860 that they were freed from slavery, even after slavery there was the hidden slavery of prejudice and segregation. so in some way it can be said that although Black people are among the oldest ethnic group, they are among the newest in terms of achieving true citizenship. Once prejudices are formed it takes many generations for them to be removed. .

Ninth_Scribe
11-10-2006, 06:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
If you think the majority of Americans are sitting around thinking that terrorists are justified because of what "happened in Palestine" you are gravely mistaken. This vote had nothing to do with the American people being "against" a war, it was more about winning and a change of direction and input. If you notice, the majority of Democrats that were elected are hard middle if not outright conservative, so this was hardly an embrace of liberalism.
As if... the tension level was the IRAQ WAR... and the so-called terrorists have definately made quite a case for themselves. When you add the first chapter (Palestine) to the last chapter (Iraq), I think everyone gets the point. But think what you like. I'm in too good of a mood... Just went to the Avalon in Boston last night to see Queensryche who performed both Mind Crime 1 and 2:

Removed by Woodrow: A bit too graphic, Yes I could read the sign

Yes, that is a gun he's holding in his hand...

Ninth Scribe

blunderbus
11-10-2006, 10:58 PM
"Muslims in the US now outnumber Jews and for average income the Muslim population has the highest per capita income of any group"

I checked out the link that the above info comes from and the sentence is not an accurate reflection of what the webpage says.

It says "The average annual household income of U.S. Muslims is $11,000 more than the overall (boldface mine) U.S. average" It says that the average for Muslims is higher than the overall average for the U.S., not higher than any other subgroup of Americans.

On numbers of Muslims in America, the Zogby poll is in contrast to every other study I have seen on the subject. Maybe he's right and all the rest are wrong but I wouldn't accept it at face value just because you like what it says.

Hashim_507
11-11-2006, 04:35 AM
Democrats took the senate too...

Ninth_Scribe
11-12-2006, 06:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hashim_507
Democrats took the senate too...
Rock and Roll!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.