/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Kunya

Umar001
11-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Man I so badly would love to have a kunya,

Like I so love Abu Bakr and the most beautiful that I seen Abu Hurayra that isa nice one, but I dont know any arabic words that describe me or anything that sounds cool.

anyone got a website? or some of their own opinions?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pk_#2
11-08-2006, 02:31 PM
wats a kunya man?

S_87
11-08-2006, 03:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tasmiyah_B
wats a kunya man?
:sl:

title :)

Umar001
11-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Like Abu Bakr or Abu Hurayra

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
learningislam
11-08-2006, 04:17 PM
:salamext:

u can have a kunya from ur son's or daughters name...
like Abu haneefa, Abu Ahmad, Abu Ameenah, ......whatever ur kids name are, just put the word..."abu" behind and u can have a kunya.

:wasalamex

Umar001
11-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Yea but I dont have kids yet,

Plus I want a discriptive one, like Ali's one was a discription, and abu Hurayra was a discription type.

Thats the type I want

- Qatada -
11-08-2006, 04:43 PM
The kunyah is a nickname which starts with Abu (father of) or Umm (mother of).

It usually includes the name of the oldest son. It may also be just a nickname, as in the example given in the question, since Abu Bakr did not have any child whose name was Bakr.

The nickname may be given because of something that is unique to that person, such as Abu Hurayrah (lit. father of the kitten). The Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) gave him this nickname because he would often carry a cat or kitten with him.

Another example is the nickname Abu Turaab (father of dust) which was the kunyah of ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him). The Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) gave him this nickname when he saw him with dust on his back and shoulders.

http://www.islamicboard.com/arabic/3...s-abu-umm.html

Umar001
11-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Assalamu Aleykum,

it was that link that reminded me about my wanting a name like Abu Huryara's

Mawaddah
11-08-2006, 05:38 PM
^ Why dont you just pick a word which you think describes you? Then take it as a kunyah. If you dont know the word in Arabic ask one of the members to translate it for you.

Umar001
11-08-2006, 05:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
^ Why dont you just pick a word which you think describes you? Then take it as a kunyah. If you dont know the word in Arabic ask one of the members to translate it for you.
I will inshaAllah, but I also want it to sound cool, like Abu Hurayrah, that is so cool and the meaning is cool too, argh.

plus I dont reall know how to describe myself, I mean I dont know any qualities I have.

amirah_87
11-08-2006, 07:12 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum

^^ You don't need to pick something that describes you, You could choose a name you Like and stick "Abu" at the front!! :)

Umar001
11-08-2006, 07:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
As Salaamu Alaykum

^^ You don't need to pick something that describes you, You could choose a name you Like and stick "Abu" at the front!! :)
Yea but that aint very meaningful then, I want it to be meaningful too lol.

I want to be able to tell people, and then they are like 'oh yea you are like that' whooohoooo lol

amirah_87
11-08-2006, 07:36 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

Lol I see, D'you have somewhere Your searching the names for Kunya's from?

chacha_jalebi
11-08-2006, 07:46 PM
bro bro :D we can suggest you kunya's & if you like them add em on in ya name :D:D:D

Umar001
11-08-2006, 07:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
bro bro :D we can suggest you kunya's & if you like them add em on in ya name :D:D:D
Of course I'd love that, plus that way, I personally feel is more honest, it woud feel abit bigheaded if I gave myself a nice description! :p

and sister I dont have a site nope, u got one?

chacha_jalebi
11-08-2006, 07:56 PM
erm :D

tell us your qualities or hobbies :p then we can give you a kunya innit :p

afriend
11-08-2006, 08:16 PM
lol...I have had a kuniyah since birth.

I think it's Bangladeshi tradition to have a Kuniyah. It must have been passed down from our Arabian Ancestors (don't forget that Bangladesh became a Muslim country because of the ancestors who migrated to spread the deen)...

But Iqram is mine...Much better than my nasty real name...

Don't ask, I wont say cos of some people lol

Umar001
11-08-2006, 08:20 PM
erm you should know me.

Im ex-christian, hobbies, hadeeth clasification, sports, general islamic or religious knowledge, study of prophets and scholars.

I dont have much of a life outside ISlam lol

- Qatada -
11-08-2006, 09:01 PM

Abu football/soccer? :p lol nah erm.. what about naming yourself something that you would want to name your first son (insha'Allaah) i.e. Abu AbdulRahman etc? :)

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-08-2006, 09:05 PM

Maybe, Abu Ikhlaas.., (Ikhlaas = sincere) because youve struck me as being very sincere in all your posts Mashallah :)

:w:

Umar001
11-08-2006, 09:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ähmed

Be...Abu Adl...actually me or Alpha shud be that to annoy Ansar :p..

But seriously..maybe, Abu Ikhlaas.., (Ikhlaas = sincere) because youve struck me as being very sincere in all your posts Mashallah :)

That sounds abit hmm, i dont know, i mean people calling me ABu Ikhlas, but it sounds good, just dont wanna sound big headed, hi am abu ikhlas lol

Umar001
11-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Lol what about Abu Khalas lol cos am i seem to be the one that posts in threads and questions the validity of whether the action is haram or halal :p

afriend
11-11-2006, 08:46 PM
lol maybe wait til ur son is born ;D...

Insha'Allah I have a son...His name Might be Jibreel if everything goes my way :p

Umar001
11-11-2006, 10:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
lol maybe wait til ur son is born ;D...

Insha'Allah I have a son...His name Might be Jibreel if everything goes my way :p
nah i dont want one of my son, i want a propa one.

and lol u like that name uhh

afriend
11-11-2006, 10:29 PM
I love this name :p well.....I mean...:confused: The best kuniyahs are the ones given by the parents or others...I have no idea at the moment....isn't that just so usual of me.

aamirsaab
12-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Doesn't "mister" or "Mr" count as a kunya?
:p

syilla
12-07-2006, 09:58 AM
my kunya is umm azfar :)

Pk_#2
12-07-2006, 12:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Doesn't "mister" or "Mr" count as a kunya?
:p
i already gave him the Kunya, 'sir', 'boss' and 'Mr' :oS

He dint apprecite it much :| imsad :offended: :rollseyes

Umar001
12-07-2006, 12:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tasmiyah_B
i already gave him the Kunya, 'sir', 'boss' and 'Mr' :oS

He dint apprecite it much :| imsad :offended: :rollseyes
yea well sounds bossy

Pk_#2
12-07-2006, 12:26 PM
How bout NotSoBossyMisterBoss...

that's a wikid Kunya and not bossy :D

Or Kamil Hamdan-Perfect/genuine praiser of God :)

:wub:

Silver Pearl
12-15-2006, 04:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Man I so badly would love to have a kunya,

Like I so love Abu Bakr and the most beautiful that I seen Abu Hurayra that isa nice one, but I dont know any arabic words that describe me or anything that sounds cool.

anyone got a website? or some of their own opinions?

I don’t have a website that list different Kunya, however, if there is a name or a phrase you really love then just add the word Abu at the beginning. For example Abdulraheem (Abu Abdulraheem) is a beautiful name, and raheem which roughly means compassionate is only reserved for believers while Rahman is for all mankind, if I am not mistaken.

Abu Abdul-lateef (father of the servant of the subtle one)

Abu Badr-ul-deen (father of the full moon of faith)

Abu Talib-ul-ilm (father of the student of knowledge)

Is there a particular word you really like with a good meaning? If so just use that as your Kunya.

http://www.milligazette.com/misl/mus...l_boy_name.htm <---------- Look at the meaning of the names and you might find something you like there :)

Al_Imaan
12-19-2006, 12:39 AM
Al Habeshi...use this website..find the rite name and just add abu to it..like Abu Akil (father of intelligence) or Abu Dhakiy..or Abu Hanbal (father of purity)..well i can go on forever but u should choose one for urself cuz it seems like ur having trouble finding a kunya...well here's the site: http://www.sudairy.com/arabic/masc.html
i hope u find the rite one.

Umar001
12-25-2006, 04:05 AM
WOw thank you sisters, mash'Allah I might name some of my kids, if I have any with some names from those sites, as for now I got my kunya, Abu Ikhlas

Oh yes.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.