/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Catholic nun jailed for 30 years for her part in Rwandan genocide

sonz
11-12-2006, 02:23 PM
NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) — A Catholic nun has been sentenced to 30 years in jail for helping militias kill hundreds of people hiding in a hospital during Rwanda's 1994 genocide, an official said Friday.

Theophister Mukakibibi was sentenced by a traditional gacaca court for helping Hutu militiamen to kill ethnic Tutsis seeking refuge from the slaughter in Butare hospital, where she worked.

"She was responsible for selecting Tutsis and would throw them out of the hospital and the militia would then kill them," said Jean Baptiste Ndahumba, president of the local gacaca court in Butare town. "This nun was organizing people to be killed." She was jailed Thursday.

She would also hold regular meetings with Hutu extremist groups and denied food to Tutsis hiding in the hospital, he said by telephone. About 20 people testified against her, he added.

In the massacre, 100,000 people were killed in the southeastern prefecture of Butare.

A number of Hutu Catholic and Protestant church leaders are alleged to have played significant roles in the east African nation's 100-day massacre. More than a half-million Tutsis and moderate Hutus were killed by the militia, orchestrated by the extremist Hutu government then in power. The genocide ended when Tutsi rebels toppled the government.

The gacaca courts are intended to speed up the genocide trials and are separate from the conventional judicial system. With nine judges from the local community, the traditional courts were also established to help heal divisions but can impose life sentences.

Some 63,000 genocide suspects are detained in Rwanda, and justice authorities say that at least 761,000 people should stand trial for their role in the slaughter and chaos that came with it. The suspects represent 9.2% of Rwanda's estimated 8.2 million people.

A U.N. tribunal based in neighboring Tanzania is trying those accused of masterminding the genocide in Rwanda. Three members of the clergy have appeared at the tribunal.

In 2001, two Rwandan Catholic nuns were convicted by a Belgian court for aiding and abetting the mass murders. A Roman Catholic priest is on trial before the Tanzania-based U.N. tribunal, accused of ordering the slaughter of 2,000 people who sought refuge in his church.

Rwanda's genocide began hours after a plane carrying President Juvenal Habyarimana was mysteriously shot down as it approached the capital, Kigali, on the evening of April 6, 1994. The leader was returning from power-sharing talks with Tutsi-led rebels.

The genocide ended after rebels, led by current President Paul Kagame, ousted the extremist Hutu government that had orchestrated the slaughter.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...anda-nun_x.htm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Skillganon
11-12-2006, 05:19 PM
How awful.

Snowflake
11-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Pure evil! I saw the film Hotel Rwanda (based on the report above) and cried the whole way through. I can't understand how human beings can do this to each other. :cry:

Keltoi
11-12-2006, 05:29 PM
It seems that tribal loyalty overshadowed any religious morality in this genocide.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Latey
11-12-2006, 05:35 PM
There are bad seeds in every basket

Musaafirah
11-12-2006, 05:37 PM
That's awful! :cry:
How can people live with themselves, knowing that people are being killed by the consequences of their actions?!:grumbling

Keltoi
11-12-2006, 05:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafir
That's awful! :cry:
How can people live with themselves, knowing that people are being killed by the consequences of their actions?!:grumbling
Self preservation.

mohammed farah
11-12-2006, 06:27 PM
i 2 watched hotel rwanda and that is probably one of the most saddest film ill properly ever see

north_malaysian
11-13-2006, 03:36 AM
and the same is happening in Darfur... Muslims killing Muslims...

Musaafirah
11-14-2006, 09:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Self preservation.
Umm..May I ask, what did you mean by that? :muddlehea

Keltoi
11-14-2006, 09:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafir
Umm..May I ask, what did you mean by that? :muddlehea
Well, in a situation like that, where tribal loyalty determines whether you die or not, it would take alot of courage and heroism to defy that mentality and work to defend the helpless. Some people don't have that strength in the face of fear. I don't know this nun obviously, so I can't speak for her state of mind.

Musaafirah
11-15-2006, 07:05 PM
Oh! I get what you're saying. But all the same... the amount of people being killed because of her. I mean, they trusted her to hide them right? Couldn't she just keep their location hidden from her tribe? Fair enough she feels loyalty (I don't know, I just assume so), but that doesn't necessarily give her the right to give away the whereabouts of the people who took refuge their does it? That surely can't justify her actions right?
I don't know, Allahu A'lam!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.