/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Mufti: It's not my intention to create chaos

north_malaysian
11-13-2006, 06:15 AM
SMS SENDER IDENTIFIED

By Mazni Mustafa

IPOH: Perak Mufti Datuk Seri Harussani Zakaria has named a woman in her 40s as the originator of the text message that claimed a group of Muslims was going to be baptised at a church here last month.

He claimed the woman os a graduate of the International Islamic University, who later studied at Al-Azhar University in Cairo.

"Upon, her return, she joined a missionary group that carried out social work. She later converted to Christianity and now claims to have returned to Islam." he told reporters at his home in Kampung Melayu Gunung Rapat here yesterday.

Harussani said he had an audience with the Sultan of Perak, Sultan Azlan Shah, to explain his stand on the issue.

"The Sultan is happy and satisfied with my explanation,"he said of his 9am meeting with the Ruler.

The SMS, which was widely circulated last week, had alleged that National Mariner Datuk Azhar Mansor would led a ceremony to baptise a group of students at the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes in Silibin here on Nov 5.

It was later found that the supposed baptism was an event to mark the first Holy Communion for about 100 Catholic children.

Harussani said the woman had sent him an SMS message on Oct 21 to give the time and the place of the alleged baptism. He asked her to meet him at his house.

"She came with her husband a day before Hari Raya (Eid)," he said, adding that she brought along compact discs and documents that purportedly disclosed that Azhar would be at the Church to baptise the Malay students.

Harussani claimed that he handed all the information to the police and the Special Branch to investigate.

He said he raised his concerns over the allegations with representatives of Muslim non-governmental organisations at the state mosque here on Nov 2.

"What I revealed was meant to stay within the confines of the meeting. I did not know that those present would pass the word around.

"It was never my intention to create chaos. As the Mufti (Muslim scholar who interprets Islamic Laws), I have the responsibility to remind Muslims of the threats facing Islam today,"
he said.

"I heard about the commotion at the church while I was in Syria. I am saddened and disappointed by the turn of events.

"I was only carrying out my duty as Mufti to inform the necessary people of supposed baptism,"
he said, stressing that he had not spread the SMS or told people to protest.

Asked about the anxiety and tension the SMS has stirred, Harussani said: "What they did (circulating it) was wrong. Why didn't they leave it to the police to investigate?"

Harussani said he gave his statement to the police on Saturday during a four-hour meeting with state police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Aziz Bulat and Special Branch chief Senior Asst Comm (II) Dr. Ab Rahman Ismail at his house.

When contacted, Inspector General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan said police would investigate the Mufti's statement.

"We will act accordingly," he added.

source: The Star, 13.11.2006, Front Page.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
11-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't understand this article or what it is trying to convey. Is there some Malay law against Catholic Baptisms or what exactly is the issue?

Umar001
11-13-2006, 08:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't understand this article or what it is trying to convey. Is there some Malay law against Catholic Baptisms or what exactly is the issue?
Am totally confused also.

The woman became a Christian then a Muslim again, erm, so? Am so confused

north_malaysian
11-14-2006, 02:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
There is a law against propagating any religion but Sunni ISlam to the Malays.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
11-14-2006, 03:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
Am totally confused also.

The woman became a Christian then a Muslim again, erm, so? Am so confused
The woman gave information that hundreds of Malays (Muslims) to be baptised on that day to the Mufti.

The the Mufti raised concerns about this to some Muslim representatives in a closed meeting.

But some representatives further SMS it to Muslim community nationwide.

And on Nov 5, hundreds of Muslims were protesting outside the Church.

Trumble
11-14-2006, 07:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
There is a law against propagating any religion but Sunni ISlam to the Malays.
Why? Are levels of Islamic belief in Malaysia so feeble that it needs the police to keep people away from other religions? Shouldn't they be investigating rapes and murders, not baptisms?

Malaikah
11-14-2006, 08:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Why? Are levels of Islamic belief in Malaysia so feeble that it needs the police to keep people away from other religions?
It has nothing to do with. It is simply closing the door to any forms of evil. "Prevention is better than cure".

Shouldn't they be investigating rapes and murders, not baptisms?
Why not both?

north_malaysian
11-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Shouldn't they be investigating rapes and murders
They did that too...

north_malaysian
11-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Why? Are levels of Islamic belief in Malaysia so feeble that it needs the police to keep people away from other religions?
Malays are Muslims... when a Malay decides to leave Islam ... it's like betraying your own people ... a traitor .... that's why it's very sensitive issue.

Malays have lots of special rights here....

Because of that I prefer to call myself as Malaysian not as a Malay.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.