/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Al jazzera in English.....finally!

bronumba1
11-15-2006, 11:48 PM
:sl:

so what do you brothers and sisters think?

they have bases now in london, washington, kuwa la lumpur, doha, and many other places broadcasting in english

sky 514 - english al jazzera check it out its EXCATLY like the bbc! - which gives me DOUGHTS as to qho might be the actual people running it:?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
slaphappy
11-16-2006, 09:46 PM
I just read in the newspaper yesterday that no cable network in the U.S. will carry it. I suppose being the mouthpiece for Al Qaida cuts down on the number of advertisers you can draw. I don't think any product that wants to sell in the U.S. would want to have their name associated with Al Jazeera. I can't blame them.

Helena
11-16-2006, 09:47 PM
seriously a english version...will check it soon inshalah...

shukran for informing us......

snakelegs
11-16-2006, 11:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bronumba1

they have bases now in london, washington, kuwa la lumpur, doha, and many other places broadcasting in english

sky 514 - english al jazzera check it out its EXCATLY like the bbc! - which gives me DOUGHTS as to qho might be the actual people running it:?
well, the u.s. bombed them in iraq and also in belgrade (i think)....so i don't think they are exactly puppets of the west, if that's what you mean. i think they have managed to anger many many countries - muslim as well as non-muslim. (which seems like a plus to me).
saw an interesting dvd documentary about them just last week, called "control room".
i don't have tv, but i do use their website occaisionally as a news source.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
11-17-2006, 12:39 AM
Finally, the other side of the coin that is Fox News! :p

But to tell the truth, I'll stick to me BBC News, Guardian/Independent and Reuters, ta very much.

AbdulHassanAmir
11-17-2006, 03:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
well, the u.s. bombed them in iraq and also in belgrade (i think)....so i don't think they are exactly puppets of the west, if that's what you mean. i think they have managed to anger many many countries - muslim as well as non-muslim. (which seems like a plus to me).
saw an interesting dvd documentary about them just last week, called "control room".
i don't have tv, but i do use their website occaisionally as a news source.
I'm confused as to what you just said. :p

snakelegs
11-17-2006, 03:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AbdulHassanAmir
I'm confused as to what you just said. :p
if they were working for the west, i don't think the u.s. would have bombed their offices, do you?
what i meant by considering it a plus when a media angers governments on all sides, is that i think this is a sign of journalism being as objective as possible. so if both muslim and non-muslim countries get mad at them, to me that means they are probably doing a good job.
sorry for confusion.

north_malaysian
11-17-2006, 04:36 AM
I've seen it on Wednesday night. For Malaysians and Bruneians, tune into Channel 92 (ASTRO) from 9.00pm till midnight. But personally, I prefer the Arabic version...

Goku
11-17-2006, 08:51 AM
I dont understand Arabic so i'm glad they came up with an English version.

For those in the UK, Al-Jazeera English is on Sky Digital channel 514. I saw them cover the Sudan conflict and show a documentary on Syria. Syria has more beautiful hotels and Mosques than one may think.

north_malaysian
11-17-2006, 08:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Goku
I dont understand Arabic so i'm glad they came up with an English version.

For those in the UK, Al-Jazeera English is on Sky Digital channel 514. I saw them cover the Sudan conflict and show a documentary on Syria. Syria has more beautiful hotels and Mosques than one may think.
In Malaysia, the Arabic version, the viewers can choose either Arabic or Malay audio options.

They also reported live from Zimbabwe, the first international tv station doing that after 7 years.

Nablus
11-17-2006, 11:08 AM
we r waiting its news then we can judge

KAding
11-17-2006, 11:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by slaphappy
I just read in the newspaper yesterday that no cable network in the U.S. will carry it. I suppose being the mouthpiece for Al Qaida cuts down on the number of advertisers you can draw. I don't think any product that wants to sell in the U.S. would want to have their name associated with Al Jazeera. I can't blame them.
I don't think this is based on politics though. It's probably simply not profitable, since the target audience is too small?

Goku
11-17-2006, 05:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
In Malaysia, the Arabic version, the viewers can choose either Arabic or Malay audio options.

They also reported live from Zimbabwe, the first international tv station doing that after 7 years.
Yeah Al-Jazeera has grown quite a lot. Is the Malay audio dubbing good?

north_malaysian
11-20-2006, 05:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Goku
Yeah Al-Jazeera has grown quite a lot. Is the Malay audio dubbing good?
Depends on the translators... there are 3 of them... 2 are VERY GOOD, another one ... not so good...

waji
11-20-2006, 06:14 AM

Al-Jazeera international is on 20 different sat

:w:

north_malaysian
11-20-2006, 06:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wkas

Al-Jazeera international is on 20 different sat

Care to share which sat it's available?

waji
11-20-2006, 07:01 AM

Here find out ur desired sat
Al-Jazeera-Int

salam92uk
11-20-2006, 12:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bronumba1

What difference does it make? Al-Jazeera going English. It is not independent but owned by an America Business man.

Why majority of the news team foreign? Why not muslim journalist.

Anyway, i don't have anything agianst AL-Jazeera, it's good to hear it has a English version!!!!!!!!!

luvziran
11-22-2006, 03:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by salam92uk
What difference does it make? Al-Jazeera going English. It is not independent but owned by an America Business man.
Why majority of the news team foreign? Why not muslim journalist.

Anyway, i don't have anything agianst AL-Jazeera, it's good to hear it has a English version!!!!!!!!!

Al-Jazeera's English Channel to Hit Air
Updated: 7:23 a.m. ET Nov 15, 2006
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Ten years after launching an Arabic-language network that angered leaders in the region and in Washington, Al-Jazeera on Wednesday was unveiling an English broadcast available in more than 80 million homes but lacking major U.S. distribution.

Al-Jazeera English was preparing to hit the airwaves at 7 a.m. EST at the station's headquarters in Doha, capital of the tiny Persian Gulf state of Qatar. Wednesday morning, the station was showing a graphic of a clock ticking down the minutes to air.

Al-Jazeera, which is bankrolled by Qatar's royal family, said its signal would reach 80 million households with cable and satellite TV, mainly in the Middle East and Europe. It hopes to steal viewers from CNN and the British Broadcasting Corp. by giving the world's 1 billion English speakers news from a non-Western perspective.

Al-Jazeera's feisty Arabic news channel is well known for angering leaders in the West and the Arab world, where it has been banned from operating in 18 countries at various times. Four Arab nations still bar its reporters.

The station has broken new ground covering once-taboo political, religious and social subjects, while airing interviews with opposition figures and Israeli officials who previously were absent from other Arab networks.

In Washington, Bush administration officials have branded the network's airing of messages from Osama bin Laden as an incitement to terrorism and criticized its often graphic coverage of bloodshed in Iraq.

Al-Jazeera says the messages and images are newsworthy. It has promoted its broadcasts to U.S. officials as the ideal venue to address the Muslim world.

Still, the station is burdened with a reputation among Americans as anti-U.S. _ an image Al-Jazeera insists is unfair. Its staffers argue that while the station has an Arab viewpoint, its coverage is balanced.

At least for now, most Americans will have no chance to see Al-Jazeera to judge for themselves. Al-Jazeera's list of U.S. carriers included none of the major U.S. cable TV providers: Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications, Charter Communications or Cablevision. Neither of the two major satellite TV providers in the U.S. _ Dish Network and DirecTV _ are carrying the network.

Some U.S. cable carriers are adopting a "show-me" policy, waiting to see what sort of reaction the station generates before agreeing to carry it, said Michael Holtzman, a PR spokesman for the network.

Al-Jazeera English will be available to American customers of GlobeCast, the subsidiary of a French company that offers satellite TV service.

The other companies Al-Jazeera English said it had agreements with are Fision, a digital service that will be available shortly in Houston; Jump TV, which describes itself as "the world's leading broadcaster of ethnic TV over the Internet; and VDC, a service that offers TV on the Internet to about 10,000 customers in the U.S.

The broadcast will also be streamed live on Al-Jazeera English's Internet site.

Across Europe and the Middle East, Al-Jazeera English will be widely available on major cable providers in Britain, Germany, Italy and even Israel.

The launch was originally scheduled for early 2006 but was repeatedly postponed due to technical problems and licensing issues. Al-Jazeera executives said they are negotiating with carriers in the U.S., Asia and elsewhere to broadcast its signal.

Al-Jazeera English hired more than 500 staffers, poaching journalists from American and British networks, including onetime CNN anchor Riz Khan, the BBC's David Frost and former ABC correspondent Dave Marash.

It will broadcast in high-definition TV, with its chief broadcast centers in Doha, London, Washington and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

http://english.aljazeera.net

Copyright 2006

SilentObserver
11-22-2006, 05:11 AM
Al-Jazeera webpage is good for finding stories not always in the western media.

Ahmed
11-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Nooooooo i have to sayyyyyy the english version is limited what it can say because it audience the western viewers soo the english has to cool his words, but anyway looking forward. I prefer the arabic version more tense!!!!!

Peaceeeee

north_malaysian
12-01-2006, 01:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed
I prefer the arabic version more tense!!!!!

Peaceeeee
Yes... me too!!!!

Skillganon
12-01-2006, 02:28 AM
About Aljazeera.com
Aljazeera Publishing owns and operates Aljazeera.com, bringing you the world today. Aljazeera Publishing is an independent media organisation established in 1992 in London. Aljazeera.com has a particular focus on events and issues in the Middle East covering major developments presenting facts as they happen.

Important note: Aljazeera Publishing and Aljazeera.com are not associated with the controversial Arabic Satellite Channel known as Jazeera Space Channel TV (also known as Al-Jazeera Satellite Channel) station whose website is Aljazeera.net.

Aljazeera Publishing disassociates itself from the views, opinions and broadcasts of Jazeera Space Channel TV station.
ref: http://www.aljazeera.com/about.asp

Also the Aljazeera publishing owns "Islamonline.com"

About IslamOnline.com
Aljazeera Publishing owns and operates IslamOnline.com. Aljazeera Publishing is an independent media organisation established in 1992, since when it has been delivering news and analysis to readers all over the world.
ref: http://www.islamonline.com/about.asp

One should note the "Islamonline.com" is not the same as the website headed by Dr. Yusuf Qardawi, which is "Islamonline.net."

"Islamonline.net" can be found here: http://www.islamonline.net/English/AboutUs.shtml

north_malaysian
12-01-2006, 02:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
About Aljazeera.com
Aljazeera Publishing owns and operates Aljazeera.com, bringing you the world today. Aljazeera Publishing is an independent media organisation established in 1992 in London. Aljazeera.com has a particular focus on events and issues in the Middle East covering major developments presenting facts as they happen.

Important note: Aljazeera Publishing and Aljazeera.com are not associated with the controversial Arabic Satellite Channel known as Jazeera Space Channel TV (also known as Al-Jazeera Satellite Channel) station whose website is Aljazeera.net.

Aljazeera Publishing disassociates itself from the views, opinions and broadcasts of Jazeera Space Channel TV station.
ref: http://www.aljazeera.com/about.asp

Also the Aljazeera publishing owns "Islamonline.com"

About IslamOnline.com
Aljazeera Publishing owns and operates IslamOnline.com. Aljazeera Publishing is an independent media organisation established in 1992, since when it has been delivering news and analysis to readers all over the world.
ref: http://www.islamonline.com/about.asp

One should note the "Islamonline.com" is not the same as the website headed by Dr. Yusuf Qardawi, which is "Islamonline.net."

"Islamonline.net" can be found here: http://www.islamonline.net/English/AboutUs.shtml
Thanks for clarifying these...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.