/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 18 Benefits of Prayer ~ By Ibnul Qayyim

amirah_87
08-03-2006, 11:45 AM
18 Benefits of Prayer By Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah

In the Name of Allaah, the Compassionate, the Most Merciful...

In his excellent book, Zaad al-Ma'aad, in the section which includes the book, At-Tibb an-Nabawee, Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have Mercy on him) stated in his alphabetized discussion of medicines and nutrition:

- Prayer -

Allaah the Exalted has said:

( And seek help in patience and in prayer. Surely that is something quite difficult on (people) other than people of humility and submissiveness ) [2]

And He has said:

( O you who believe! Seek help in patience and in prayer! Verily, Allaah is with those who are patient. ) [3]

And He, the Exalted One, has said:

(And command your family to pray, and be patient upon that. We are not asking you for any provisions, (rather) We provide for you, and the favorable outcome is for (those with) taqwaa (consciousness of Allaah that produces righteous actions). ) [4]

And in the Books of Sunnah it is reported that the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) used to hasten to prayer whenever an affair disturbed him. And previously discussed was the concept of healing most ailments through prayer before seeking out other ways of dealing with them.

- 1 - Prayer is something that causes one to receive sustenance.

- 2 - It is something that safeguards one's physical health.

- 3 - It keeps away harmful things.

- 4 - It casts away illnesses.

- 5 - It strengthens the heart.

- 6 - It brightens one's countenance.

- 7 - It delights the soul.

- 8 - It gets rid of laziness.

- 9 - It makes the limbs active.

- 10 - It increases one's physical strength.

- 11 - It expands the chest (making one at ease and giving him insight).

- 12 - It is nourishment for the soul.

- 13 - It illuminates the heart.

- 14 - It safeguards one's blessings.

- 15 - It repels catastrophes.

- 16 - It brings on blessings.

- 17 - It keeps away the Shaytaan (the Devil).

- 18 - It draws one close to Ar-Rahmaan (Allaah, the Most Merciful).

And overall it has an amazing effect on the health of the body and heart, and in strengthening them and expelling harmful pollutants from them. No two people have been afflicted with any disability, disease, or other calamity, except that the portion of the one who prays is less and his outcome is cleaner.

Also, prayer has an amazing effect on the evils of the dunyaa (the worldly life) and how it repels them, especially when the prayer is performed properly and completely, inwardly and outwardly. Nothing keeps the evils of the dunyaa at bay and brings on the benefits of it like prayer.

The reason behind this is that prayer is one's connection to Allaah, the Mighty and Majestic. So based on the strength of a person's relationship with his Lord, the Mighty and Majestic, the doors of goodness will accordingly be opened up for him, bad things and the reasons for them befalling him will be cut off, and the elements of success granted by His Lord, the Mighty and Majestic, will begin pouring in, along with safety and good health, wealth and worldly riches, relaxation, bliss, enjoyment, and all types of joyful affairs will be brought to him, and in an expedient manner, too. [5]

[1] The title and the numbering of the 18 benefits are both additions from the translator: Moosaa Richardson.

[2] A translation of the meaning of Soorah al-Baqarah (2):45

[3] A translation of the meaning of Soorah al-Baqarah (2):153

[4] A translation of the meaning of Soorah Taa-Haa (20):132

[5] Zaad al-Ma'aad (4/304-305) of Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah, Mu'assasatur-Risaalah, 4th ed., 1424.

Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah [d.751]
Source: Zaad al-Ma'aad (4/304-305)
translated for www.bakkah.net [1]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
umm-sulaim
08-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Nice fawaa'id sis....mashaAllah.....keep 'em coming ,

wassalaam!

amirah_87
08-03-2006, 12:26 PM
ass salaamu alaykum

yeah i thought it was really beautiful when i read it, so i thought of sharing it with my felllow Sis' and Bro's on LI!!:peace:

13 - It illuminates the heart.
SubhanAllah!!

have a nice read ppl....

umm-sulaim
08-03-2006, 12:31 PM
I love ibnu Qaayims fawaa'id, subhanaAllah his such an excellent scholar (Allah yar7amuhu)

wassalaam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mawaddah
08-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Masha'allah that was nice Princess!! I guess your Adhaan aint that Mabthootha after all!! :eek:

;D ;D :p

But yes I love Sheikh ibn alQayyims fawaaids too :'( :'( and his POEMS wow Masha'allah :wub:..

I tried to rep you just now but it wouldn't let me :(...........says I must spread some reputation around first......too bad for you Princess :D But lemme say >>> Baarakallahu Feeki <<<< That's better than any rep innit :D :D

amirah_87
08-03-2006, 12:42 PM
ass salaamu alaykum,

you guys quit pickin on my dhihin okay ;D yaa naaqisaat al-3aqal :p

lol i already did zagra hehe!!
lol ..okay i did'nt notice cause 3indamaa ta3deen rep maa yazeed illa waahid... :X ;D

but i was just kiddin' reps mean nothing really...

a dua'ah is better like you said MeanMaw!! ;)

BrakaAllahu feekum, and may Allah reward Ibnul Qayyim Rahimahullah...

Helena
08-03-2006, 12:48 PM
shukran for sharing sis...def is beneficial...

certainly deserve some reps inshalah:)

amirah_87
08-03-2006, 12:52 PM
ass salaamu alaykum,

wa iyyaki Ukhtiy! :)

umm-sulaim
08-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Yeah i love ibnul Qayyims poems, they're awesome! ra7imahullah!

yay leesh anti dissin my miskeen reps lol....

wassalaam!!

Abdulwaheed
08-03-2006, 01:48 PM
After reading the benefits, i was just wondering, how can i increase my concentration in prayer?? my mind always seems to wander :(

amirah_87
08-03-2006, 01:52 PM
ass salaamu alaykum,

how to increase concentration in prayer???...make isti3aadah from the shaytaan by lightly spitting your left shoulder...
every one's minds tends to wander sometimes in the salaah, i remember a hadeeth about a sahaabiy sayin' how he used to prepare the postion of his army on the battle field...(along those lines)
some one correct me inshaAllah!

wallaahu a3lam

Abdulwaheed
08-03-2006, 02:00 PM
I seek refuge in Allah from shaytan after realise that im not concentrating on my prayer properly.. I want to try and find a way to stop it from wondering in the first place..

amirah_87
08-03-2006, 02:11 PM
ass salaamu alaykum,

Allaahu a3lam...:-\

.."fa'saluu ahl ad-dhikri in kuntum laa ta3lamuun!!"...and ask those of remembrance (the ulamaah/ash-shuyukh) if ye do not know..."

May Allah help you with that inshaAllah..:peace:

Wallaahul Musta3aan!

Abdulwaheed
08-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Masha Allah Sis. Your help is appreciated :)

Hijrah
08-03-2006, 02:18 PM
I feel pure when I'm praying and reading Qur'an

Les_Nubian
08-03-2006, 05:04 PM
mashaAllah, Ameen! :D

So true!

learningislam
08-05-2006, 03:26 PM
:salamext:

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdulwaheed
I seek refuge in Allah from shaytan after realise that im not concentrating on my prayer properly.. I want to try and find a way to stop it from wondering in the first place..
Hope this helps inshaAllah
Hazrat Uthman bin Abul Aas (Razi Allahu anho) said: Ya RasulAllah (Sallallaho alaihay wa aalaihee wa sallam) the devil interferes between me and my prayer, and also causes doubt in my recitation. The Prophet (Sallallaho alaihay wa aalaihee wa sallam) said: The name of this devil is Khanzab, when you feel his temptation, then (during the prayer) say taooz (Aaoozo billaahe minashaitan nir rajeem) and spit three times on your left side (on your heart)”.Hazart Uthman (Razi Allahu anho) said :I did so , and Allah made that devil away from me.”
Reported in Ahmad and Muslim

:wasalamex

al-fateh
08-05-2006, 04:35 PM
great info

thanks

amirah_87
08-05-2006, 06:13 PM
ass salaamu alaykum,

wa iyyaakum ppl :peace:

Jazakillaahu khayran Sis LearningIslam!!.....;)

Nawal89
08-06-2006, 10:32 AM
its great amirah. all so true mashaAllah.

P.S And Umm sulaim..you'll have to wait for another month before i join that nahw thread. I'm still on Baabul I3raab mon!

amirah_87
08-06-2006, 10:36 AM
As salaamu alaykum,

It sure is SubhanAllah.

Khayal
11-16-2006, 04:12 AM
:sl:
18 Benefits of Prayer

translated for www.bakkah.net [1]

- Prayer -

( And seek help in patience and in prayer. Surely that is something quite difficult on (people) other than people of humility and submissiveness )

And He has said:

( O you who believe! Seek help in patience and in prayer! Verily, Allaah is with those who are patient. )

(And command your family to pray, and be patient upon that. We are not asking you for any provisions,(rather) We provide for you, and the favorable outcome is for (those with) taqwaa (consciousness of Allaah that produces righteous actions).

And in the Books of Sunnah it is reported that the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) used to hasten to prayer whenever an affair disturbed him. And previously discussed was the concept of healing most ailments through prayer before seeking out other ways of dealing with them.

And overall it has an amazing effect on the health of the body and heart, and in strengthening them and expelling harmful pollutants from them. No two people have been afflicted with any disability, disease, or other calamity, except that the portion of the one who prays is less and his outcome is cleaner.
Also, prayer has an amazing effect on the evils of the dunyaa (the worldly life) and how it repels them, especially when the prayer is performed properly and completely, inwardly and outwardly. Nothing keeps the evils of the dunyaa at bay and brings on the benefits of it like prayer.
The reason behind this is that prayer is one's connection to Allaah, the Mighty and Majestic. So based on the strength of a person's relationship with his Lord, the Mighty and Majestic, the doors of goodness will accordingly be opened up for him, bad things and the reasons for them befalling him will be cut off, and the elements of success granted by His Lord, the Mighty and Majestic, will begin pouring in, along with safety and good health, wealth and worldly riches, relaxation, bliss, enjoyment, and all types of joyful affairs will be brought to him, and in an expedient manner, too.

FOOTNOTES
[1] The title and the numbering of the 18 benefits are both additions from the translator: Moosaa Richardson.
[5] Zaad al-Ma'aad (4/304-305) of Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah, Mu'assasatur-Risaalah, 4th ed., 1424.

:w:

lolwatever
11-16-2006, 07:43 AM
jazaks sis.

n the first and formost, is that its the absolutely fundamental pre-requisite to enter jannah :D

salams

MinAhlilHadeeth
11-19-2007, 12:41 PM
:salamext:

Great post, sis! JazakAllah khayr.

Noor 13
11-24-2007, 10:55 AM
azak Allah khair
this is very beneficial information

pasionatemumina
02-06-2008, 10:23 PM
JazakALLAH for the post its very useful

cute123
02-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Assalam Alaikum

Wonderful post ! Mashalla tallah. May ALLAH SUBHAN A WA TALLAH forgive us and guide us that we pray namaz perfectly.

IbnAbdulHakim
02-07-2008, 10:01 AM
mashaAllaah jizakAllaahu khairan.

Assalamu Alaikum

Ummu Sufyaan
02-07-2008, 10:10 AM
:sl: Jazakallahu khair sis.

al_islam
02-07-2008, 10:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
:sl: Jazakallahu khair sis.

ditto

'Abd-al Latif
11-14-2008, 09:14 PM
18 Benefits of Prayer

- Prayer -

"And seek help in patience and in prayer. Surely that is something quite difficult on (people) other than people of humility and submissiveness" [2]

And He has said:

"O you who believe! Seek help in patience and in prayer! Verily, Allaah is with those who are patient." [3]

"And command your family to pray, and be patient upon that. We are not asking you for any provisions, (rather) We provide for you, and the favorable outcome is for (those with) taqwaa (consciousness of Allaah that produces righteous actions)." [4]

The reason behind this is that prayer is one's connection to Allaah, the Mighty and Majestic. So based on the strength of a person's relationship with his Lord, the Mighty and Majestic, the doors of goodness will accordingly be opened up for him, bad things and the reasons for them befalling him will be cut off, and the elements of success granted by His Lord, the Mighty and Majestic, will begin pouring in, along with safety and good health, wealth and worldly riches, relaxation, bliss, enjoyment, and all types of joyful affairs will be brought to him, and in an expedient manner, too. [5]

--------------------------------------------

FOOTNOTES

Olive
11-14-2008, 09:47 PM
MashaAllah! Excellent bro. JazakAllah khair for sharing! :)

Abdul-Raouf
11-15-2008, 03:13 AM
Its ALLAH's gift to us.

Alhamdulillah

sirajstc
07-21-2009, 12:01 PM
jazakalla kahair

thetruth2009
07-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Assalam aleykoum sisters and brothers,

I have one question when , we pray we recite quran loudly or not ?

I have find a verse in the Quran, tell me what do you think ???

In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

[17:110] Say, "Call Him GOD, or call Him the Most Gracious; whichever name you use, to Him belongs the best names." You shall not utter your Contact Prayers (Salat) too loudly, nor secretly; use a moderate tone.

Is it clear for you ? do you understand what I read ??

What that mean we are wrong for 14 centuries ????

Assalam aleykoum sisters and brothers.

sirajstc
08-02-2009, 08:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hijrah
I feel pure when I'm praying and reading Qur'an
yes same here:statisfie

Salahudeen
08-02-2009, 11:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by thetruth2009
Assalam aleykoum sisters and brothers,

I have one question when , we pray we recite quran loudly or not ?

I have find a verse in the Quran, tell me what do you think ???

In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

[17:110] Say, "Call Him GOD, or call Him the Most Gracious; whichever name you use, to Him belongs the best names." You shall not utter your Contact Prayers (Salat) too loudly, nor secretly; use a moderate tone.

Is it clear for you ? do you understand what I read ??

What that mean we are wrong for 14 centuries ????

Assalam aleykoum sisters and brothers.
The Truth why do you ask that which you have already been given the answer to?? do you seek to spread doubt?? or are you unaware that someone has answered you with regards to this question????

please read the thread below which you posted the exact same question and a brother answered you with the correct answer.

http://www.islamicboard.com/worship-...pray-isha.html

scroll down towards the last few posts and you will see

BeTheChange
10-27-2014, 07:19 PM
These are the benefits that are known to us imagine how many benefits there are that are not known to us. Alhamdulilah.

ali399
10-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Very nice 4 sharing these informative thing

MarlaJohnson
10-28-2014, 12:01 PM
Mashallah Love to read this :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.