/* */

PDA

View Full Version : God's Blessings as a Christian

Paul Williams
11-16-2006, 11:30 PM
Salam

I wonder if you can help me clear something up?

I am a revert. I became a Muslim about a year ago at London Central Mosque and have met many wonderful Muslims. :Alhumdill

But this still bothers me:

Before then I was a committed Christian and had many powerful experiences of Gods love and grace in my life. I feel I cannot deny the reality or blessing they brought to me. I became a Muslim in part because I was deeply attracted by the Qur'an and the amazing life of Muhammad (PBUH), and I came to realize that Jesus was not a deity after all but a Prophet of God.

Do Muslims think I was deluded in my experiences, or if not how do I understand them in the light of Islamic teaching?

I hope this makes sense...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ansar Al-'Adl
11-17-2006, 05:53 AM
Assalamu alaykum,
Congratulations on your conversion and welcome to Islam :) May Allah, Glorified and Exalted is He, continue to shower you with His blessings and guidance.

The Qur'an says something very interesting about those from the people of the book (Jews and Christians) who converted to Islam:

28:51-54. And indeed now We have conveyed the Word (this Qur'ân in which is the news of everything to them), in order that they may remember (or receive admonition).
Those to whom We gave the Scripture [i.e. the Taurât (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel), etc.] before it, - they believe in it (the Qur'ân).
And when it is recited to them, they say: "We believe in it. Verily, it is the truth from our Lord. Indeed even before it we have been from those who submit themselves to Allâh in Islâm as Muslims.
These will be given their reward twice over, because they are patient, and repel evil with good, and spend (in charity) out of what We have provided them.

Here the Qur'an says that there are many truthful righteous people from the people of the book and so when the recieve the message of Islam they recognize in it the truth that they had in their heart all along and they realize that they had in reality been Muslims (submitting themselves to God) all along. So they are grateful to God for guiding them to the best path and enabling them to follow His final messenger.

So the spiritual experience you had as a Christian does not conflict with Islam, on the contrary it was a reflection of your sincere intentions before God and a foreshadowing of the ultimate blessing God would bestow upon you in the form of the guidance of Islam. :)

And Allah knows best!
:w:

Woodrow
11-17-2006, 06:09 AM
Another revert here. Although, my earliest religious teachings were as a Christian. I did spend most of my life as an Agnostic calling myself a Buddhist.

I honestly believe it was my early upbringing as a very faithful Christian, that lead me to Islam. Many times I have told people that it was Isa(as) that lead me to Islam. I found that Islam is the fulfillment of the promises made in Christianity.

Ansar, gave you the proper answer. I just stated this to express my own personal feelings of how I see my revision. I honestly feel that Islam is the path that Jesus(as) taught. The path just got distorted when people changed the path and lost the true message.

north_malaysian
11-17-2006, 06:15 AM
Why ex-Christians who reverted to Islam always say that Jesus brought them to Islam?:rollseyes

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
11-17-2006, 12:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Why ex-Christians who reverted to Islam always say that Jesus brought them to Islam?:rollseyes
Quite simple, because it is Love for Allah(swt) that is the guiding force to learn how to submit to His will. Once a Christian discovers that Jesus(as) submitted to the will of Allah(swt) it is only natural to follow Isa(as) into Islam.

Most Muslims that have Christian roots do not give up love for Isa(as), but they have learned to respect him as they respect all the Prophets(Peace Be Upon All of Them).

I believe it can be safe to say that many Christians who revert do feel learning about Christ(as) lead them to Islam and Islam taught them the true nature of Christ(as)

Umar001
11-17-2006, 02:09 PM
For me its kinda similar,

from my understanding it could be that the experiences were because of the Mercy that G-d had bestowed upon you, as a Christian, I always used to be moved when talking about Jesus and G-d and so on, and it really got to me, all the time, but to me that was a Mercy from G-d.

On the other hand, sometimes miracles and stuff like that can be a delusion as such.

I think ansar answered your q brother, so I wotn go into details inshaALlah, glad to hear about you being a muslim and love you for the sake of Allah!

Eesa

Latey
11-17-2006, 05:44 PM
I have had the same thoughts for years !
Glad to hear from others that early christianity do not colide with islam later in life.

I have been thinking that christianity can be seen as a way to islam, and not a obstickle.

rubiesand
11-17-2006, 07:02 PM
:w: Paul,

Just think back, would you have been receptive to the message and experience of Islam if you had not been so mature spiritually, and already having the love of God in your heart?

I think God leads us (I'm also a revert) on the straight path to Himself by gentle degrees, according to what we are capable of. So, we grew up as Christians, that is where we developed spiritually, until the time came when we were ready for the great blessing of Islam. Alhamdulillah.

matobosha
11-18-2006, 09:24 AM
Assalam Aleikum All

Wonderful contributions from members.
I just want to congratulate Bro Paul for having reverted.
Only those who are guided by Allah will see the right path.
So when you were a committed christian Allah guided you to
the right path....thank Allah for that because from the time
you become a muslim a new chapter starts infact I am not
sure of this but I think all your bad deeds will be cancelled
and infact be turned to good deeds

YusufNoor
11-19-2006, 03:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
while my exprience is NOT that, i must say that if you research the christians writings regarding Jesus/Isa (as), except the trinity stuff, odds are that the ideals that expresses ARE in fact Islamic and no-one in history comes close to being "ideally", erm, "perfect" as Jesus/Isa (as), EXCEPT the Rasululah (SWT)!!! who, actually EXCEEDS his prophethood!

IF you're a christian, and unless/until Allah (SWT) guides you, you just simply don't think that is possible! and along comes Muhammed (pbuh), who not only lives up to those ideals in every way, shape and form, BUT is also so many more things!

alot of christians understand the "greatness" of the Prophet Isa (as), but get confused with all the different versions and sects of christianity. those "sects and versions" confuse them, but NOT the admiration that they feel for Isa/Jesus (as).

if you use Jesus/Isa (as) as a true guide, you arrive at the Prophet (pbuh)!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.