/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Jedi - the faith in the Star Wars films - will become an official religion

Helena
11-17-2006, 11:24 AM
:sl:

am totally suprised,amazed wot ppl can think and wanna achieve....

star war religion,star war followers, wot do they believe in?

is this the truth...????.....turning a movie into a religion.....

Jedi is the faith espoused in the Star Wars films
It's official: "Jedi Knight" is ON the list of religions for the 2001 UK census.

A campaign to get people to write the entry on their census forms has succeeded in the term being included on the list of religions, alongside Church of England, Roman Catholic, Muslim, Buddhist and Hindu.

Sufficient numbers of people wrote the entry in for it to be allocated its own code for the census processing team to use.

But officials from the Office of National Statistics are keen to point out that just because Jedi Knight has been given its own code, that does not confer on it the status of official recognition.

Yoda, Jedi master
"Presbyterian my real religion is"
"We are not defining what a religion or a faith might be," a spokeswoman said. "We are recognising what some may have entered on their census form and ensuring that our coding framework will cater for it."

Other religions which are included on the list, alongside the better known cases, are the Church of Free Love, Wiccan, Divine Lightmission, and Coleraine Christian Centre.

Shortly before the census last April, an e-mail was circulated in the UK stating that if 10,000 people put Jedi on the census form, it would become a "fully recognised and legal religion".

A similar thing had previously happened in New Zealand, when citizens were led to believe they needed 8,000 signatures to make Jedi an official religion.

The list of religions - posted on the statistics office website, and available under "Internet links" - is simply the list of answers to the religion question.

It is not yet clear how many people will have written Jedi on their form, as the counting process is still going on. Results are to be published in Autumn 2002.

And even then, the information might not be easy to obtain, as it will not be published separately in the official census reports released by the statistics office. Anyone wishing to find out the number would need to commission a special report to be produced.

also on the list are:
Druidism
Satanism
Free thinker
Wicca
Celtic Pagan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1589133.stm

astagfirulla...

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
11-17-2006, 12:01 PM
Don't joke about persecution, ta.

Besides, the Jedi were already persecuted under Order 66.

Trumble
11-17-2006, 12:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HAJI_HELENA

am totally suprised,amazed wot ppl can think and wanna achieve....

star war religion,star war followers, wot do they believe in?

is this the truth...????.....turning a movie into a religion.....
It's a very old story! As I recall, 'Jedi' won't actually be included on the next census form. The whole thing came about pretty much as a joke after people read that something of a Jedi band-wagon had started with regard to a New Zealand census. It was rumoured in the UK that if a certain number (might have been 50,000, I can't recall now) put something down as an 'other' for their religion, that 'other' would get its own tick-box next time, but that actually wasn't the case... I don't know if that was simply untrue, or whether they found a loophole somewhere. I'm not sure "free thinker counts", but I don't see any reason why the others shouldn't be included next time if they got the numbers in 2001.

There was never any serious attempt to create a real 'Jedi' religion, it was just a bit of fun.

Helena
11-17-2006, 05:13 PM
so ur saying,this is all a joke? huh...but it was on da newspaper of metro....dnt get it.....

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Trumble
11-17-2006, 07:22 PM
so ur saying,this is all a joke? huh...but it was on da newspaper of metro....dnt get it.....
No, it actually happened with many thousands saying they were 'Jedi' on the census forms. But they were just doing that for a laugh (nobody likes filling in compulsary government forms!), not because they seriously believe 'Jedi' to be a real religion.

Muezzin
11-17-2006, 07:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
No, it actually happened with many thousands saying they were 'Jedi' on the census forms. But they were just doing that for a laugh (nobody likes filling in compulsary government forms!), not because they seriously believe 'Jedi' to be a real religion.
Exactly. And it's quite a funny joke at that :p

Ah man, I'm running out of material. I need to make people laugh. I need to learn me some Jedi mind tricks...

Rou
11-17-2006, 07:59 PM
lol the metro is no gospel...it stated that it is looking to get it stated as a religon and i doubt it will...

actully what am i saying!??

most likly it will looking at the crazy world today....

however a religon is not to follow a film let them follow what they wish it is but a joke to them otherwise why state a religon out of something that is a film?there is no basis to the religon...

and if they make it a religon it but shows the mockery of the world powers at the moment

afriend
11-17-2006, 08:03 PM
Hahaha...The Metro....Such funny times I've had reading that paper....it's the official paper of our poor, shabby school.

Helena
11-17-2006, 09:18 PM
but the source i provided from above is from the BBC...isnt that acceptable?.....

Muezzin
11-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Sure. I just don't see what the fuss is about. I mean, if they so wish, people have the right to say that the religion they truly believe in is based upon the worship of the finer points of a puddle of turd, and I'll respect their beliefs without agreeing with them.

I still think this news item is funny.

Sum-Muslim-Gal
11-18-2006, 12:22 AM
salam

lol..if this article is true then its something i can mention in my sociology essay..
i think its all to do with new religious movements and new age movements thats why they making new religion up...
well we studying religion in A2 got to say itss sooooo interesting!!!:D:D:D

wasalam

Muezzin
11-18-2006, 08:02 PM
New age movements have about as much to do with the religion of the Jedi as an antelope has to do with a writing desk.

stannis
11-23-2006, 10:08 AM
Celtic Pagan
A real religion that has existed for thousands of years. It was one of the primary faiths in the British Isles and some parts of Europe. It should be recognised.

Hisbul_Aziz
11-29-2006, 12:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin

Ah man, I'm running out of material. I need to make people laugh. I need to learn me some Jedi mind tricks...
You ,can probably ,trick people in thinking ur jokes are funny:rollseyes ,jk / But 4 me it cumes naturally :D

T@z@belle
12-29-2006, 07:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin

jedi....wot da hell so wot do they do worship luke skywalker or somin???no realllyy this is some kinda joke innit??

Muezzin
12-29-2006, 08:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by T@z@belle
jedi....wot da hell so wot do they do worship luke skywalker or somin???
The Jedi don't seem to worship anything in Star Wars.

no realllyy this is some kinda joke innit??
Yes. The people who said they were Jedi on the census were just having a laugh. I found it funny.

Fishman
12-29-2006, 08:41 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if some people do believe in Jedi and the Force...

Warthog
12-30-2006, 08:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I wouldn't be suprised if some people do believe in Jedi and the Force...
When will people become tolerant and stop making fun of my religion?

H4RUN
12-31-2006, 05:27 PM
^may the force be with you...

Pygoscelis
01-06-2007, 01:27 AM
Well the star wars Jedis seem to be based heavily on eastern philosopy/religion. The whole idea of the force is just a rip off of chi isn't it?

Muslim Knight
01-06-2007, 01:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Well the star wars Jedis seem to be based heavily on eastern philosopy/religion. The whole idea of the force is just a rip off of chi isn't it?
Yeah. Like Yin-Yang and Chinese Qi Gong. But that those don't qualify as religion, only way of life. Like Confucianism.

Woodrow
01-06-2007, 01:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
That was pretty much the idea I got. But, I only saw the first Star wars movie when it first came out.(1977 if I remember)

I actually had to write a critique of it and in my critique I compared it more with an up dated version of the Kung - fu and Eastern philosophy themes that were popular at that time. ( I had a part time second job then as a cartoonist and editor of a small town newspaper, a friend of mine owned the paper)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.