/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Best Tafsir to study and understand Quran to fullest extent

Muslim Thinker
11-18-2006, 10:19 AM
So, I am attending university this January and there is a mosque nearby where I plan to pray 5 times. I am very eager to do public speaking and lecturing especially on the Quran, and I would like to know which Tafsir is the best to study the Quran so that I can spread my knowledge to Muslims in my mosque. Please help, I am definitely gonna do this. Do u suggest Ibn Khatir?? Are there any better/more detailed sources??

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhammad
11-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Greetings,

We have a couple of threads indicating useful resources, such as:

http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...7-tafseer.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...resources.html

Please have a look through those.

Also - if you don't mind me asking, are you a Muslim? I am asking in case you have selected the wrong choice in your profile, as has happened with other members.

Hijrah
11-18-2006, 07:07 PM
I recommend Ibn Katheer, yeah

and brother don't call it a mosque...refer to it as Masjid...mosque as you can see, a striking similarity with the word mosquito because they both have to do with swattign, see when the kuffar had there little crusades thing, they obviously were swatting muslims and what would be the best place to swat muslims? The Masjid which means a place of worship

Muslim Thinker
11-18-2006, 07:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
Also - if you don't mind me asking, are you a Muslim? I am asking in case you have selected the wrong choice in your profile, as has happened with other members.
I cherish Muslim values but at this point I am not sure whether a God exists or not. I do not really know if Allah exists or not, but I find Islam as my psychological vent.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- Qatada -
11-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Hi Muslimthinker. :)

I've looked around the forum and seen some of your posts, and you remind me of a character who know's the depth and strength of islaam but you find it hard to understand some concepts, which kinda makes you reluctant to take that first step.

That's just my understanding though, but i've seen one character that alot of people can relate to when they are in a state of wanting to revert, yet they find some obstacles in the way.

Hope you don't mind reading this character's story, and try to reflect on how much it suits your own personal situation:

Hamzah was fully aware of the greatness of his nephew and of the truth he came with. He used to know him not only as a nephew, but also as a brother and friend because they both belonged to the same generation. They always played together and walked together on the same road of life step by step. But in their youth they departed, each one in his own way: Hamzah preferred the life of leisure, trying to take his place among the prominent leaders of the Quraish and Makkah, while Muhammad chose the life of seclusion away from the crowd, immersed in the deep spiritual meditation that prepared him to receive the truth.

Despite the fact that each of them had a different way of living out his own youth, Hamzah was always attentive to the virtues of his friend and nephew. Such virtues helped Muhammad to win a special place in the hearts of people and helped to draw a clear outline for his great future.

The next day, Hamzah went out as usual. At the Ka'bah he found a number of Quraishi noblemen. He sat with them, listening to what they had to say: they were talking about Muhammad. For the first time .Hamzah saw them worried about the call his nephew was propagating with a tone of bitterness and rage marking their voices. Before that, they had never paid attention - at least they had pretended not to do so - but on that day their faces looked perplexed, upset, and aggressive.

Hamzah laughed at their talks and accused them of exaggeration. Abu Jahl said to his companions that Hamzah was the best one to know the danger of his nephew's call and that he pretended to underestimate this danger till the Quraish would relax so much that when they awakened it would be after his nephew had complete control over them.

They kept talking and threatening while Hamzah sat, sometimes smiling, sometimes frowning. When they dispersed his head was full of new ideas about the issues of his nephew that they had discussed in his presence.

Days passed and the Quraish's whispering about the Prophet's call increased. Later, whispering turned into provocation and Hamzah watched from a distance. His nephew's composed, steadfast attitude towards their provocations puzzled him. Such an attitude was quite unfamiliar to the Bani Quraish, who were themselves known to be strong and challenging.

If doubts of the greatness and truth of Muhammad could steal into anyone's heart, they would have never stolen into Hamzah's heart, because he was the best one to know Muhammad from his early childhood to his youth, then to his proud, honest manhood. Hamzah knew Muhammad as he knew himself and maybe more. Since they had come into life together, grown up together, and attained full strength together, Muhammad's life had been as pure and clear as the sunlight. It never occurred to Hamzah that Muhammad could make an error or a doubtful act in his life. He never saw Muhammad angry, hopeless , greedy, careless, or unstable.

Hamzah was not only physically strong, but was also wise and strong-willed. Therefore, it was natural for him to follow a man in whose honesty and truthfulness he wholeheartedly believed. Thus he kept a secret in his heart that was soon going to be disclosed.

Then came the day. Hamzah went out of his house towards the desert carrying his bow to practice his favorite sport of hunting (in which he was very skilled). He spent most of his day there. On his way home he passed by the Ka'bah as usual, to circumambulate it.

Near the Ka'bah, a female servant of 'Abd Allah Ibn Jud'aan saw him and said, "O Abu 'Umaarah! You haven't seen what happened to your nephew at the hands of Abu Al-Hakam Ibn Hishaam. When he saw Muhammad sitting there, he hurt him and called him bad names and treated him in a way that he hated." She went on to explain what Abu Jahl had done to the Prophet of Allah.

Hamzah listened to her carefully and paused for a while, then with his right hand he picked up his bow and put it on his shoulder. He walked with fast, steady steps towards the Ka'bah, hoping to meet Abu Jahl there. He decided that if he did not find him, he would search for him everywhere till he did.

As soon as he reached the Ka'bah he glanced at Abu Jahl sitting in the yard in the middle of the Quraishi noblemen. Hamzah advanced very calmly towards Abu Jahl and hit him with his bow on the head till it broke the skin and bled. To everybody's surprise, Hamzah shouted: "You dare to insult Muhammad while I follow his religion and I say what he says? Come and retaliate upon me. Hit me if you can." In a moment they all forgot how their leader Abu Jahl had been insulted and they were all thunderstruck by the news that Hamzah had converted to Muhammad's religion and that he saw what Muhammad saw and said what he said. Could Hamzah really have converted to Islam when he was the strongest and most dignified Quraishi young man?

Such was the overwhelming disaster to which the Quraish were helpless, because Hamzah's conversion would attract others from the elite to do the same. Thus Muhammad's call would be supported, and he would find enough solidarity that the Quraish might wake up one day to find their idols being pulled down.

Indeed, Hamzah had converted, and he announced what he had kept secret in his heart for so long.

Again Hamzah picked up his bow, put it on his shoulder, and with steady steps and full strength left the place with everyone looking disappointed and Abu Jahl licking the blood flowing from his wounded head.

Hamzah possessed a sharp sight and clear consciousness. He went home, and after he had relaxed from the day's exhaustion he sat down to think over what had happened. He had announced it in a moment of indignation and rage. He hated to see his nephew getting insulted and suffering injustice with no one to help him. Such racial zeal for the honour of Bani Haashim's talk had made him hit Abu Jahl on the head and shout declaring his Islam. But was that the ideal way for anyone to change the religion of his parents and ancestors and to embrace a new religion whose teachings he had not yet become familiar with and whose true reality he had not acquired sufficient knowledge of? It was true that Hamzah had never had any doubts about Muhammad's integrity, but could anybody embrace a new religion with all its responsibilities just in a moment of rage as Hamzah had done?

It was true that he had always kept in his heart a great respect for the new call his nephew was carrying and its banner, but what should the right time have been to embrace this religion if he was destined to embrace it? Should it be a moment of indignation and anger or a moment of deep reflection? Thus he was inspired by a clear consciousness to reconsider the whole situation in light of strict and meticulous thinking.

Hamzah started thinking. He spent many restless days and sleepless nights. When one tries to attain the truth by the power of mind, uncertainty will become a means of knowledge, and this is what happened to Hamzah. Once he used his mind to search Islam and to weigh between the old religion and the new one, he started to have doubts raised by his innate inherited nostalgia for his father's religion and by the natural fear of anything new. All his memories of the Ka'bah, the idols, the statues and the high religious status these idols bestowed on the Quraish and Makkah were raised.

It appeared to him that denying all this history and the ancient religion was like a big chasm, which had to be crossed. Hamzah was amazed at how a man could depart from the religion of his father that early and that fast. He regretted what he had done but he went on with the journey of reasonable thinking. But at that moment, he realized that his mind was not enough and that he should resort sincerely to the unseen power. At the Ka'bah he prayed and supplicated to heaven, seeking help from every light that existed in the universe to be guided to the right path.

Let us hear him narrating his own story: I regretted having departed from the religion of my father and kin, and I was in a terrible state of uncertainty and could not sleep. I came to the Ka'bah and supplicated to Allah to open my heart to what was right and to eliminate all doubts from it. Allah answered my prayer and filled my heart with faith and certainty. In the morning I went to the Prophet (PBUH) informing him about myself, and he prayed to Allah that He may keep my heart stable in this religion.
In this way Hamzah converted to Islam, the religion of certainty.

more on the life of Hamzah:
http://www.islamicboard.com/biograph...b.html?=Hamzah

Do you see how he naturally had an inclination to islaam, without even realising? How he wanted to benefit the muslims (including the Messenger of Allaah - Muhammad [peace be upon him]) and naturally he accepted the religion of Allaah.

There's one point in that story which you may not have realised though, and this is the fact that when a person submits to Allaah (Islaam means submission to the Creator, Allaah Almighty) then due to that submission - Allaah will guide them, and make the truth clear to them. This is exactly what Hamzah (may Allaah be pleased with him) did, he realised what he had done, so he stayed up for some nights submitting to Allaah and asking Allaah to guide him if islaam really was the truth. And because Allaah knew his sincerety, and because Hamzah submitted to Allaah - Allaah placed the guidance within his heart.

The reason you may be confused about whether Allaah Almighty exists or not is because you may not have done enough reflecting on the creation, so travel in the lands and ask yourself - could this all be created by itself? The animals, plants, humans, and also reflect on the Names and Attributes of Allaah Almighty to understand more about and to reflect on His Attributes, and try to understand and reflect to see on these Attributes to understand how Allaah Almighty is really like.

Names of Allaah and His Attributes:
http://www.jannah.org/articles/names.html

When we pray salaah, we pray to Him, the Almighty - and therefore you're lecture would be even more beneficial if you understood the concept of Allaah, and you understood why Allaah revealed this Qur'aan. If a person doesn't understand these aspects, theres a lack of sincerety.. if there's no sincerety, and the words aren't coming from the heart - then these words won't touch the peoples hearts either...

Just reflect on that for a while, and pray to Allaah to guide you, call out to Him and He will help come closer to you insha'Allaah. Allaah will place a sense of tranquility in your heart, He will bless you with more and more wisdom, and when you give a talk on islaam, you will be rewarded for your sincere acts in this world and the hereafter, and your words will have a powerful effect on the people insha'Allaah.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: Allah the Almighty said:

I am as My servant thinks I am (1). I am with him when he makes mention of Me. If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assemble better than it. And if he draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed.

(1) Another possible rendering of the Arabic is: "I am as My servant expects Me to be". The meaning is that forgiveness and acceptance of repentance by the Almighty is subject to His servant truly believing that He is forgiving and merciful. However, not to accompany such belief with right action would be to mock the Almighty.

It was related by al-Buhkari (also by Muslim, at-Tirmidhi and Ibn-Majah).

Just reflect, and pray to Allaah sincerely - if you submit yourself first, Allaah will place that guidance, tranquility, and wisdom in your heart insha'Allaah. :)

http://www.beconvinced.com

By the way, here's a tafsir ibn kathir link if you need it:

http://www.theholybook.org/en

And theres other audio tafsirs if you need them:

http://kalamullah.com/suhaib-webb.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...hammad+Shareef

Allaah Almighty knows best, and sorry for the long essay :p

Muslim Thinker
11-18-2006, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the excellent post. Is the story of Hamzah true??

- Qatada -
11-18-2006, 11:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Thinker
Thanks for the excellent post. Is the story of Hamzah true??

Yeah, he was an uncle of the Messenger of Allaah - Muhammad (peace be upon him.) :)

If you want more info on anything please dont hesitate to ask.

Peace.

Muslim Thinker
11-18-2006, 11:53 PM
^^ Is that a story from Bukhari??

Ansar Al-'Adl
11-19-2006, 04:22 AM
Hi,
Isn't it more appropriate to first establish your own understanding and certainty about this religion before attempting to convey it to others? If you are hesitant to classify yourself as a Muslim, then it is not permitted for Muslims to take knowledge from a questionable source. My advice to you would be to understand the evidence for the veracity of Islam first, and there are many objective works that delve in to this subject. I would recommend The First and Final Commandment by Dr. Laurence Brown who was a staunch atheist before God guided him to the way of Islam. More info on the book here:
http://www.leveltruth.com/ffcommain.asp

Please forgive me if this reply sounded brusque but I felt it necessary to make the above point manifest.

Regards

Muslim Thinker
11-19-2006, 04:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
Hi,
Isn't it more appropriate to first establish your own understanding and certainty about this religion before attempting to convey it to others? If you are hesitant to classify yourself as a Muslim, then it is not permitted for Muslims to take knowledge from a questionable source. My advice to you would be to understand the evidence for the veracity of Islam first, and there are many objective works that delve in to this subject. I would recommend The First and Final Commandment by Dr. Laurence Brown who was a staunch atheist before God guided him to the way of Islam. More info on the book here:
http://www.leveltruth.com/ffcommain.asp

Please forgive me if this reply sounded brusque but I felt it necessary to make the above point manifest.

Regards
I actually study Islam to the best I can, it's simply that when comes the question whether God exists my question usually comes out "I do not know." The nature of God can be described through various means, not just the Abrahamic notion. Nonetheless, I really respect Islamic values and I'm still searching.

Muslim Thinker
11-19-2006, 04:30 AM
Thanks for the link, I'll make sure I read it.

Ansar Al-'Adl
11-19-2006, 05:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Thinker
I actually study Islam to the best I can
Indeed you may be, but it is wrong to give people the false impression that you are Muslim, let alone one established in their understanding of Islam as an Islamic teacher aught to be. Check out the book since it specifically addresses the issue of evidence for the veracity of Islam.

Regards

Abu_Sayfuddin
11-20-2006, 06:04 AM
Al-Salamu `alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
[INDENT]Hi Muslimthinker. :)

99 Names of Allaah and His Attributes:
http://www.jannah.org/articles/names.html
BarakAllahu feek akhi for the great story, i have to reject the headline for the link, because Allahs (subhanahu wa ta`ala) names are not limited.

following is from www.janna.org
Allah (subhanahu wa ta`ala)'s names are not limited to 99, which is a common misconception. There are a couple of evidences, one is the du`aa where one calls upon Allah by the names He (subhanahu wa ta`ala) has kept to Himself (obviously not taking these names since Allah has not revealed them to us); another is the fact that in the narrations of the famous ninety nine names hadith that do contain 99 names, the names are not consistent between narrations (for example, imam al-bayhaqi reports two versions of this hadith, with different 99 names in each). It is suggested by one commentator that the names were not explicitly stated by the rasul (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam).

And Allah (subhanahu wa ta`ala) knows best.

Sheikh_Jamal
12-27-2006, 07:38 AM
SALAM

The question of Tafsir.....

May I point out few interesting and useful resources outside the traditional Tafsir (as we would consider it):

A Word for Word Meaning of the Qur'an

by: Muhammad Mohar Ali
publisher: Jam'iyat Ihyaa Minhaaj al-Sunnah (JIMAS) 2004
Pages: 2096 (in 3 paperback volumes)
http://www.islamicbookstore.com/b7894.html

There is also new item of similar kind "Word for Word" by Muhammad Muhsin Khan, but it gives only one english meaning for each arabic word, while this one above, gives a rich amount of details with a minimum of information and matters of opinion outside the Qur'an.

Best luck!
shk jml

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.