/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Aisha in battle

chris4336
11-18-2006, 01:27 PM
I'm not sure if there is a better place to post this but I remember reading while back that Aisha led a Muslim army in battle? There is a little about it in Wikipedia but I don't really trust that site too much. Can anyone elaborate more? What is the general Muslim view on this?

I think its pretty cool, and think that it would be a good example to use when people are telling you that Islam oppresses women???

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
YusufNoor
12-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Assalamu 'alaykum,

A`udhu Billahi mina Shaytanir Rajeem,

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

Salaam Chris,

i think that is much latter in Islam with all the discourse over who should be Caliphe. i either read or listened to something on this recently, but can't remember exactly what or where.

there is alot to be learned by listening to stories about A'isha(RA). i tried to recall exactly what i heard, but i've been listening to alot of Seerah recently. Shayk Hamza Yusuf discusses her alot in his "class" captured on cd (might be on on the download pages.

but here is some other sources on A'isha(RA)

Mothers of the Believers : Lives of the Wives of Prophet Muhammad ...

http://www.onlineislamicstore.com/a3933.html

Description;
Mothers of the Believers is a ground breaking series exploring the lives of the wives of Prophet Muhammad (s). It seeks to enlighten the hearts, minds and souls of the Muslim youth in the West. It is through the wonderful examples of the Mothers of the Believers that we can achieve a correct and balanced understanding when approaching issues such as building the Islamic family, social life, working, parenting and raising children.

Awakening supplies a range of interesting and challenging audio products covering a variety of Islamic subjects.

This audio album is available in a variety of formats including cd and cassette, the cassette version will be available in Ramadan 2003.

Contents

Cd 1: Introduction
Why this series?
Objectives
Lamps through the ages (Women Scholars in Islamic history)

Cd 2: Khadijah bint Khuwaylid
Birth and early life
Early marriages
A great business women
Marriage to the Beloved (sa)

Cd 3: Khadijah bint Khuwaylid
Behind every good man is?
The first to accept Islam
Early days in Mecca
Dawah Challenges
The death of our mother (ra)
Virtues and impact

Cd 4: Sawda bint Zam’a
Background and early life
Migration for Allah
A new Muslimah with no husband
A community responds
Life with the Prophet
The death of our mother

Cd 5: A’isha bint Abu Bakr
The making of a noble daughter
Marriage to the Prophet (sa)
Responses to the critics of this marriage
The model of the Muslim home

Cd 6: A’isha bint Abu Bakr
The great fabrication Al-Ifk
The death of the Prophet
Life under the Caliphs
The great trial
Her virtues
The death of our mother

Cd 7: Hafsa bint ‘Umar
First marriage
Umar (sa) seeks a good man
Hafsa with the Prophet
The guardian of the Qur’an
The death of our mother

Cd 8: Hind bint Abi Umayya (Um Salamah)
What saves a young couple?
Tests are inevitable
Alas duaa and only duaa
Marriage to the beloved
Life after the Prophet
The death of our mother

Cd 9: Zainab bint Jahsh
Older siblings have huge a responsibility
First marriage
Marriage to the Prophet
Life with the Prophet
The death of our mother

Cd 10: Juwayriya bint al-Haarith & Um Habiba bint Abi Sufyaan

Juwayriya
First marriage
Marriage to the Prophet
Life with the Prophet
Life under the Caliphs
The death of our mother

Um Habiba
First marriage
Tested through a disobedient husband
The reward of sabar
Life with the Prophet
The death or our mother

CD 11: Safiyah bint Huyy & Maimoonah bint al-Haarith and conclusion
Safiyah
A strange incident
Marriage to the Prophet
Life after the Prophet
A great test for the Ummah

Maimoonah
Marriage to the Prophet
Our mother’s gift to the Ummah
The death of our mother

Conclusion
From darkness to light.

About the speaker:

Imam Suhaib Webb was born in 1972 and raised in the State of Oklahoma, USA. During his teens he became a Hip Hop DJ and made many records with different artists and bands. During this period of his life, he was a member of a gang and turned his back on religion. Imam Suhaib Webb accepted Islam at the age of twenty. He graduated with honors in Education from the Central Oklahoma University and has studied Arabic and Islamic sciences under many notable scholars. He is currently a lecturer at the Islamic American University (IAU) in Santa Clara, California.

Might be able to download here:
http://www.islamictorrents.net/details.php?id=5827

Online thread discussing A’isha(RA)

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3790

you can pay per download here. There are 2cds on A’isha(RA)
http://www.jannah.com/awakening/suha...believers.html

Imam Anwar al-Awlaki down at the bottom there is a lecture on A’isha(RA)
http://www.kalamullah.com/anwaral-awlaki.html

Other lectures by Imam Anwar al-Awaki

http://www.harlowmasjid.org/downloads.html

Online lectures about A’isha(RA):

http://www.aswatalislam.net/search.aspx?strSearch=Aisha

i hope some of that helps...

:w:

- Qatada -
02-24-2007, 09:13 PM
:salamext:

Sister, I listened to this in a lecture by Bashar Shalla who explained the whole battle in detail.

The battle was the battle of al-Jamal [the battle of the camel.] The battle was between the parties of Ali verses Talha and Zubair (may Allaah be pleased with all of them.)

According to the scholars, i think the view is that Ali was the one in the right.. however due to the difference of opinion, the two parties fought each other.

To understand the situation of the battle, it was that some rebels had murdered Uthman [the previous Khalifah.] Because Uthman was killed, the opinion of Zubair and Talha [both who were of the 10 promised paradise] decided that they need to kill the rebels.

The problem was because the rebels had killed Uthman in Medina, they stayed in Medina out of fear of retaliation of being harmed if they returned back to their hometowns. These rebels forced Ali to become a khalif, if he didn't - they would kill him. They also forced Zubair and Talha to give him a pledge of allegiance. They did this because they feared that if there was no khalifah, then they would have no protection against Zubair and Talha and the other companions of the Messenger of Allaah. So they wouldn't be able to hide under anyone.

So they stayed there and intermixed with the army of Ali [who is also of the 10 promised paradise.]

Why did Ali have an army? It's because his original intention was to go to Mu'awiya, also a companion of the Messenger of Allaah and to get the pledge of allegiance from there [in Al-Shaam/Greater Syria], but Mu'awiya had also heard of the news that his relative [Uthman] has been killed. Because Mu'awiya and Uthman were from the Ummaya lineage. Mu'awiya's intention was also to kill the rebels.

Why didn't Ali kill the rebels straightaway? It's because the rebels had just forced him to become khalifah. While the rest of the muslim world wasn't even sure whether Uthman was alive or not. At that time they never had fast communication methods. So they wouldn't be able to recognise Ali's authority.

So the main reason why this conflict was going on was because -

1) All the other people wondered why Ali never killed the rebels straightaway [like the other companions wanted] and they were confused why he was giving them 'protection' in his own army.

2) The reason why Ali never wanted to kill them straightaway was because alot of the muslim world never knew Uthman had been killed, so he wanted to get pledge of Allegiance from the people to finalize the fact that he is a khalifah.

If the people recognised he was khalifah, then he could go all over the islamic state with legitimate authority. And he could find the rebels which had fled, and the rebels in his own army and kill the one's who murdered Uthman. Not every single rebel [like some of the other companions wanted] but instead the one's who had just assasinated Uthman.

Now when Ali was on his way to Greater Syria to get the pledge of allegiance. This is what is going on in Makkah.

Zubair and Talha had gone to Makkah to pass on the news of Uthman's death. At the same time, the wives of the Messenger of Allaah are there performing hajj. Now Zubair and Talha said that the only way their pledge of allegiance is legitimate is if Ali kills the rebels. The problem is because Ali isn't killing the rebels straightaway, they don't accept his authority.

So how does Aa'isha and the mothers of the believers/wives of Allaah's Messenger issue come into it?

Two wives of the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon them) decide that they will go with Zubair and Talha and they will unite the ummah [muslims] because one thing that the muslims agree on without a doubt is the fact that the wives of the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) are our mothers. Which mean's we have to respect them. So if they are there, the muslims will have to come up with an agreement together.

I'll continue the rest insha'Allaah in a little while..

IbnAbdulHakim
02-24-2007, 09:29 PM

i dont kno anything about this simply because i heard its makhruh to discuss it and am scared to fall into fitnah but would the members say its good to learn about it? :?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
chacha_jalebi
02-24-2007, 09:29 PM
^ yesh :D

also, Hadhrat Uthman (ra) was murdered by a group of people and obviosly no one wanted to owe up to the murder, and when Hadhrat Ali (ra) became khilifah, Hadhrat Talha & Zubair ra, wanted the killers to be punished and they asked Hadhrat Ali (ra) to do somethin about it, but obviosly he didnt know who the killers were, so he couldnt really do anythin, and Hadhrat Aisha (ra) was like a scholar, so they would ask her for her opinion on matters, and when she heard Uthman (ra) had been murdered, she also decided that the killers should be found and justice delivered! and the people that had killed Hadhrat Uthman (ra) were jus trouble makers and they start spreadin rumours, and stuff, and then things kind of got out of control, because riots occured, not everyone had given their bayaah to Hadrat Ali (ra) and people wanted the killas for Uthman (ra) to be punished! so madinah was in choas, and then after a few other events, the war happened and that was gona be avoided aswell but the trouble makers, were in both sides, on Hadhrat Ali (ra) and Hadhrat Aisha (ra). both sides had reached a agreement 2 settle the issue and not battle, but the trouble makers like attacked each camp and made it seem like the other side had attacked 1st, so then obviosly war broke out! but in the end, both of sides regretted the war,

- Qatada -
02-24-2007, 09:31 PM

The two wives are Aa'isha bint Abi Bakr and Hafsa bint Umar ibn Al-Khattaab.

Both of them need to go with a wali, Hafsa's brother Abdullah Ibn Umar is still alive. She asks him to go with her, he says no - because there is a hadith which the Messenger of Allaah said:

There will be a Fitnah [trial/tribulation], and he who sits idle during it is better than he who stands up, and he who stands up in it is better than he who walks, and he who walks is better than he who is walking at a fast pace.)

http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=5&tid=13663

So because Hafsa never had a wali, she couldn't go. Aa'isha had a wali though, i think it was her brother Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr.

So the army of Zubair and Talha went to Basra to kill the murderers of Uthman. And the army of Ali had to divert from going to Greater Syria [to Mu'awiya] and they decided that they would have talks with Talha, Zubair and also get the pledge of allegiance from the people in Iraq, Kufa.

So what happens? On their way there they camp in Kufa, and both parties start discussing after waiting for a while. When their discussing, they come up with an agreement [also with the help of Aa'isha] and they understand each other's positions/opinion in regard to what's going on.

They say that since the martyrdom of Uthman, that was the most peaceful sleep they had after a long time.. because now both parties are at peace with each other. Before camping though, Ali says something. He says that all the rebels who are hiding in my army, don't join me in my camp.

So what do the rebels do? They realise that now that the two parties are okay with each other, they are in danger. So they meet up with each other at night and decide that they will split up - one party will join the camp of Ali and the other half will join Zubair and Talha's camp.

In the dark night, before the fajr prayer [sunrise prayer] - rebels pretending to be from each party come out with unsheated swords and shout 'I am from the party of Ali!' and the rebels from the other party shout 'I am from the party of Zubair & Talha!' and they start killing the muslims from each party.

Ali wakes up, 'they decieved me', and the same happens to Al-Zubair, and Talha. 'They tricked me.' That's what causes the chaos. The war begins.

As their fighting - both parties are confused.. they feel that the other party betrayed them. I think someone decides that they should bring Aa'isha back to have peace talks. So they for the first time get a camel, and place armour on it. They place Aa'isha in a small kind of tent which is placed on top of the camel. [I think its called a Hawdij in arabic.] And it is covered in armor.

Both parties fight each other, and when the camel is near. People start shooting arrows at it [probably the bad ones among the rebels.] I think they say that the camel looked like a porcupine because it was covered in arrows. She never joined battles after this again.

So Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr and another pious companion run to the camel and quickly take it away elsewhere.

The battle is still going on. Ali looks around for Al-Zubair because he wants to understand what's going on. When he goes to Al-Zubair, they ask each other why this is happening. They explain to each other that they never ordered it. Then Ali says something which shocks Al-Zubair.

Once - The Prophet (peace be upon him) saw 'Ali and Zubair one day laughing together, and he asked Ali if he loved Zubair. Ali replied: "How could I not love him since he is my nephew and co-religionist." The Prophet asked Zubair the same question, who gave a similar response. The Prophet then told Zubair that he would fight 'Ali, and that he would be the oppressor. So in the Battle of Jamal, when Ali and Zubair, in opposing camps came face to face. 'Ali reminded Zubair of the incident, and Zubair recalled, and said that he had forgotten, and he immediately left the battle field. So the battle took place as the Prophet had predicted, and Zubair was the oppressor, since Ali was the Rightful Caliph, and to oppose him with violence was wrong.

So Al-Zubair realised his mistake and left the battlefield because he realised that he was the one who was the oppressor. Among the rebels was a man who chased after Al-Zubair and said to him that we'll pray the salaah together. Now just when Al-Zubair said Allaahu akbar, the man quickly took his sword out and killed Al-Zubair - so he was martyred.

Talha also realised his mistake, and because his hand was paralysed in the battle of uhud. He wasn't able to fight in the battle.. suddenly an arrow came flying in his direction. It hit him and he was about to die.. a man walked past him and Talha asked him to give his (Talha's) pledge to Ali.. this was prophecised by the Messenger of Allaah himself, who said that Talha would give a pledge before he passed away.

Talha was also martyred.

Now that the main leaders of the Basra camp [Al-Zubair and Talha] had been martyred, the battle would soon be over. And people realised that Ali was in the right. The rebels still weren't killed by Ali, however of these rebels would come the sect of Al-Khawaarij, and later on the shi'a.

This had ended, but the trial was to become greater since the conflict between Ali and Mu'awiya had just begun.

And Allaah Almighty knows best.

----

Just click on this link for more insha'Allaah:

http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/me...ulafah+Rashida

Download the episodes of Uthman 2, all the way upto the end of the life of Mu'awiya [the Umayyad dynasty.] Insha'Allaah you'll find it really beneficial.

chacha_jalebi
02-24-2007, 09:35 PM
bro fi didnt hadhrat Aisha (ra) go with her brother muhammad ibn abu bakr (ra) ?

taqi
02-25-2007, 02:42 AM

The Battle Of The Camel 'Jamal"

Friday the 16th of Jamadi,36 A.H(November656 A.D)Ayesha took the feild,mounted on her great camel Al-Askar and riding up and down among her troops,animating them by her presence and by her voice.In history the battle is named 'the battle of the camel'.Hazrat Ali's army faced the enemy in battle array,but the caliph ordered them not to take the offensive unless the enemy began.He furthur gave orders that no wonded should be slain,no fugitive pursued,no plunder seized nor the privacy of any house voilated. No sooner had he given the orders when showers of arrows started to pour frm the enemy but,still Ali forbade his soldiers to retaliate and asked them to wait.

To the very last moment Ali evinced a decided repugnance to shed the blood of a muslim and just before the battle, he endeavoured to turn the adversary allegiance by a solenm appeal to the Quran. A person named Muslim immediately offered himself for the service, and uplifting a copy of the sacred volume with his right hand,this individual proceeded to admonish the enemy to recede from their unwarranted designs. But the hand which bore the holy manuscript was servered from his arm by one of the infuriated maltitude . Sezing the Quran with his left,that limb was alse severed by another scimitar.Still however,pressing it to his mutilated arms he continued his exhortations untill he was finally killed by the swords of the enemy. His body was subsequently recovered by his friends and prayers pronounced over it by Ali inperson,after which taking up a handful of dust,and scattering it towards the insurgents,that prince imprecated upon them the retribution of an avenging deity. In the meantime. the impetousity of Ali's followers could no longer be restrained. Drawing their swords and pointing their spears, they rushed impetously to the combat, which was supported on all sides with extraodinary fierceness and animosity. "Price's Mohomedan History"

The looses in the battle were very great. Some historians say that 16,796 men of Ayesha's forces and 1070 of Ali's army were killed in the battle. The field was covred with bodies of friends and foes together were buried by the order of Caliph.

syilla
02-26-2007, 02:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim

i dont kno anything about this simply because i heard its makhruh to discuss it and am scared to fall into fitnah but would the members say its good to learn about it? :?
i even avoid reading this...because it makes my heart ache.

- Qatada -
02-26-2007, 12:14 PM

Allaah did this out of His wisdom. I think the verse used as evidence was:

If two parties among the Believers fall into a quarrel, make ye peace between them: but if one of them transgresses beyond bounds against the other, then fight ye (all) against the one that transgresses until it complies with the command of Allah; but if it complies, then make peace between them with justice, and be fair: for Allah loves those who are fair (and just).

[Surah Al Hujuraat 49:9]
http://tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=49&tid=49763

It's explained abit more in the tafsir aswell.

If this never happened in our islamic history we wouldn't know the rulings if we ever fell into a similar situation. So Allaah did this out of His Eternal Wisdom.

Umar001
02-26-2007, 12:18 PM
I've never understood this and shaytan only made unhappiness with some people enter my heart :(

If a muslim tries to kill another muslim aint they both in hell?

As for women in Islam, you could talk about the great scholars of Hadith some of which were women!!

- Qatada -
02-26-2007, 12:24 PM

Akhi it was a matter of difference of opinion in ijtihaad, and the pious before us would pray for forgiveness for both parties.

We shouldn't think wrong about anyone because remember that people from both sides were promised paradise - Al Zubair and Talha are of the 10 promised paradise, and so is Ali. Aa'isha is also the wife of the Messenger of Allaah in this world and the hereafter.

Allaah had willed it out of His Eternal Wisdom, and it's actually an order from Allaah in the Qur'an as stated earlier [from surah al hujuraat.]

If this never occured, we wouldn't know about the ruling that if you fought muslims - you can't take the spoils of war [ghaneema] etc. so we learn alot from this and only Allaah knows the true reasons behind it.

IceQueen~
02-26-2007, 12:26 PM
i also read in the history of Islam (darussalam publications)
that one of them (Talha or Zubayr) saw Amar (ra) fighting in Ali (ra)'s army and then refused to fight against Ali (ra) because he said that the prophet (saw) said in a hadith that 'Amar would be killed by a rebel' and he was in Ali's army

- Qatada -
02-26-2007, 12:30 PM

Na'am ^ i think that was the battle of siffeen. The fight between Mu'awiya's army and the army of Ali.

The rebel army was the army of Mu'awiya because 'Amaar ibn Yasir was killed when he was fighting for the army of Ali. Ali never fought a war except that he was fighting for the right cause. And Allaah knows best.

Everything i'm saying is what i've learnt from that lecture. So Allaahu a'lam.

IceQueen~
02-26-2007, 12:38 PM
which battle took place first? the camel or siffeen?
yes Allahu a'lam

also remember the hadith when the prophet (saw) told his companions to read asr prayer when they reached a certain place but time for asr came on the way so there was a disagreement over what to do.

Some of them said that since the prophet (saw) had said to rea asr at the place they would wait till they reached there to pray (even if asr time would be over by then)

While others said that the prophet (saw) had meant by this to hurry and reach there but since asr has come now we'll pray.

When they came back to the prophet (saw) he said that they were both right.

Sometimes Allah allows things to happen to teach us- as bro fisabilillah mentioned- It is His Wisdom

as for the ones who died Allah will judge them according to their intentions and His Knowledge insha Allah

- Qatada -
02-26-2007, 12:44 PM

Na'am, the 'asr prayer one was the Battle of Quraydha - right after the battle of Ahzaab/Khandaq [the confederates/trench.]

The battle of Al-Jamal [the camel] was before the battle of Siffeen. That's why the majority of the people who support Ali, till today are from Iraq. And the battle of the camel took place between Kufa and Basra [which still exist today there.]

The Battle of Siffeen was after Al-Jamal and it was near Al-Shaam [Greater Syria] i think, because Mu'awiya was governor over Al-Shaam. And Allaah knows best.

- Qatada -
02-27-2007, 11:50 AM

Matters of Ijtihaad mean's the person has used the islamic evidences and interpreted them and extracted a ruling according to their best understanding.

The Messenger of Allaah said:
'Amr b. al-'As reported that he heard Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: When a judge gives a decision, having tried his best to decide correctly and is right, there are two rewards for him;
and if he gave a judgment after having tried his best (to arrive at a correct decision) but erred, there is one reward for him.
Sahih Muslim Chapter 4: THE REWARD OF THE JUDGE WHEN HE TRIES TO ARRIVE AT A DECISION, WHETHER THAT DECISION IS CORRECT OR INCORRECT Book 018, Number 4261.

http://www.ummah.net/Al_adaab/hadith/muslim/had18.html

From there we see that both parties never had bad intentions. Not just that, these people were promised paradise as stated in many ahadith of the Messenger of Allaah. So if we're not promised paradise, and they are - who are we to judge them.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.