/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question for Women who wear Niqab

chris4336
11-19-2006, 03:11 AM
Forgive me if that is not the proper name. I have question, just based on my own curiousty, and I am very aware there are debates whethr Niqab is required or not in other threads.

I was just wondering when you are wearing something over your face, how does it affect your daily life? Like, for example, how do you pick your children up from school? Wouldn't the teacher want to see your face to make sure its you? Or cash a check at the bank? Or work in a place that requires an ID card be worn.

Just curious...

Thanks!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Thinker
11-19-2006, 03:28 AM
The veil is not required. The headscarf is.

zanjabeela
11-19-2006, 04:01 AM
I think it largely affects your life to the extent that you let it. It can either be normal for you, and you ignore the reactions of the world around you; or you can have a chip on your shoulder and get ticked off everytime somebody helpfully tells you that "you are living here now, and you can take that thing off!"

Having said that...

Yes, I take off my niqab when I go to the bank, once at the desk. At school, some profs require us to show IDs at exam time, so then I am prepared to remove it. They have always been very understanding, and have actually waived that requirement for me, although I completely do not expect that. Sometimes, I am asked to show ID when paying by credit card, and the cashier will want to verify that its the same person as the picture. Frankly, I don't mind, because its obviously for my own protection.

I have noticed that children will respond to the niqab in the most gracious and respectful of ways. Something they could teach to quite a few "adults" and obviously something they learn from the adults around them, praise God! I used to get comparisons to the Mary, mother of Jesus (peace be upon him) quite frequently, and a few of "Mommy, look, a princess" and once "Mommy, scarrrrryyyy people!!!" That made us all chuckle, and the kid's tone of voice did not indicate any fear at all...so its all good!

Thanks for resurrecting some cool memories!

chris4336
11-19-2006, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the answer. Its something I've been curious about, and there is not anyone who wears Niqab in my area. I hope that it continues to be easy for you.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.