/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Campaigns: Urgent Appeal: Imam Anwar Al Awlaki - A Leader in Need

Isma'el
11-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Asalaam Alaikum

I honestly can't believe this!! SubhanAllah, I don't know how many of you have listened to Imam Anwar, but mahsha'Allah his talks are amazing. I loved the Seerah he did; it was soo beautiful.

He really needs and deserves our help....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Campaigns : Imam Anwar Al Awlaki: Urgent Appeal: Imam Anwar Al Awlaki - A Leader in Need

08/11/2006
Urgent Appeal: Imam Anwar Al Awlaki - A Leader in Need

www.cageprisoners.com

Reports indicate that Imam Anwar Al Awlaki, a prominent Muslim scholar highly regarded in English speaking Islamic circles, has been detained incommunicado for the past two months in Yemen and may face torture or ill treatment in custody.

Anwar Awlaki, whilst in the US worked for inter-faith dialogue– working hard to establish a reasoned, nuanced and just form of intellectual dissent in Western Muslims Enabling Muslim communities in western societies to contribute and interact in wider society and contribute to it whilst remaining confident of their Islamic heritage and identity.

Regarding the 9/11 attacks, Imam Anwar was quick to state,

“What has occurred is a heinous crime. A Muslim can have nothing to do with this.” [1]

Imam Anwar was renowned for his justice amongst people, even when Muslim sentiment would seem to be totally against the West; this is typified by one of his statements:

“President Bush has showed the Muslim American community some good gestures. He specifically warned the people from committing any hate crimes against their fellow Muslim citizens, and he visited a Mosque.”

BACKGROUND

Anwar al-Awlaki is a Muslim scholar who was born in New Mexico, and is a US national. His parents are from Yemen, where he lived for eleven years and received the early part of his Islamic education.
He served as an Imam in Colorado, California, and later in the Washington, D.C. area where he headed the Dar Al-Hijrah Islamic Center and was also the Muslim Chaplain at George Washington University. Prior to his detention, he was resident in Yemen, where he was studying Islamic Jurisprudence with prominent scholars, He holds a B.S. in Civil Engineering from Colorado State University, a M.A. in Education Leadership from San Diego State University and was working on a Doctorate degree in Human Resource Development at George Washington University. He authored many popular audio series including the "Lives of the Prophets", "The Hereafter" and "The Life of Muhammad".

In the early hours of October 17, a Yemeni secret police raid swept up eight foreigners living in Sana'a, under surveillance by the CIA and British intelligence, and at least 12 other men across Yemen. Yemeni authorities insist they dismantled an al-Qa'ida cell and disrupted a gun-running ring to neighboring Somalia.

It was subsequently reported that the key to the raids was Anwar Al Awlaki (identified in the media as 'Abu Atiq') who was arrested six weeks before the October 17 swoop. Media reports allege that 'Abu Atiq' was an associate of two of the September 11 hijackers and a protege of Abdul al-Majid al-Zindani, who the US wants arrested on terror charges. They also make allegations of supposed involvement in a foiled al-Qa'ida plot to bomb oil and gas facilities in Yemen.

He is believed to be held in Central Security Prison in Sana'a. Locals in Sanaa insist, perhaps apocryphally, that the two stories of the complex above ground sit atop eight stories underground, where torture rooms and darkened cells are often used.

Human rights organisations such as Amnesty International have repeatedly raised concerns regarding arrests and detentions by the Political Security Organ in Yemen, which are carried out with total disregard for the rule of law and for Yemen’s international human rights obligations. Amnesty states that, “arrests are carried out without the judicial supervision required by law and those detained were invariably subjected to lengthy incommunicado detention and interrogations, during which some detainees claim that they were tortured or ill-treated. Detainees have also been denied access to lawyers, as well as being denied the opportunity to challenge the legality of their detention before a court.”

For more information about Imam Anwar al-Awlaki, please visit:

http://www.cageprisoners.com/prisoners.php?id=2127

Take Action for Imam Anwar Al Awlaki

Write to the US authorities:

Demand that the state department fulfils their statutory duties and provide consular assistance and clarify where Anwar Al Awlaki is held;
Demand an end to incommunicado and secret detention; detainees should be held only in officially recognized places of detention with access to family, lawyers and courts;
Call for human rights laws and standards to be strictly adhered to in cooperation between US security forces and those of other countries, ensuring that torture and ill-treatment, incommunicado detentions and "disappearance" play no part in such cooperation;
Ensure his rights as a US national are being protected and that his detention is free from torture or ill-treatment
The Honorable Condoleezza Rice
Secretary of State
U.S. Department of State
2201 C Street, N.W.
Washington DC 20520
Tel: + 1 202 647 4000
Fax: + 1 202 261 8577
E-mail: http://contact-us.state.gov/ask_form...secretary.html

Write to the Yemeni authorities:

Appeal for the immediate release of Anwar Al Awlaki unless he is to be promptly charged with a recognizable criminal offence and given a fair trial without further delay in accordance with international fair trial standards
Call on the authorities to respect the rule of law
Remind the authorities of their obligations under both national and international human rights law and allow Anwar Al Awlaki access to legal counsel, his family and the opportunity to challenge the legality of his detention

His Excellency General ‘Ali ‘Abdullah Saleh
President
Office of The President
Sana’a
Republic of Yemen
Faxes: 009671274147

His Excellency Rashid Muhammad al-‘Alimi
Office of the Republic of Yemen Ministry of the Interior
Sana’a
Republic of Yemen
Telephone: 009671332701
Fax: 009671274147

Write to Islamic organisations:

Encourage all Islamic organisations in the US to campaign for the release of Imam Anwar al-Awlaki.
Further encourage the these societies in the US to promote the right to a fair trial and the rule of law.
Islamic Society of North America
PO Box 38
Plainfield
IN 46168
USA
Telephone: 0013178398157
Fax: 0013178391840

Council on American-Islamic Relations
453 New Jersey Avenue ,
S.E. Washington
DC 20003
Telephone: 0012024888787
Fax: 0012024880833

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
11-08-2006, 12:35 PM
He is believed to be held in Central Security Prison in Sana'a. Locals in Sanaa insist, perhaps apocryphally, that the two stories of the complex above ground sit atop eight stories underground, where torture rooms and darkened cells are often used. Whether or not people are tortured here, Western officials and aid groups are adamant that torture is regularly used in Yemen on terror suspects, or political prisoners.
i urge everyone to do as much as they can.

JazakAllah to isma'el for making it easier, JUST TAKE THE STEPS !!! for the sheikh...

MinAhlilHadeeth
11-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I was thinking they might torture him aswell, inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'oon! May Allah hasten his release, ameen!

:wasalamex

IbnAbdulHakim
11-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Ameen thumma Ameen !!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Re.TiReD
11-08-2006, 02:16 PM
^^^^ thumma Ameen

you know what...it doesnt even come as a surprise, its happenin to Muslims everywhere :cry: its a pity we only open our eyes though when its somebody we've all heard about when British Muslims have been going through this for ages :heated:

although i suspect Yemen is worse in terms of the torture techniques :offended:

hey but hear this... 'three things cannot be hidden, the sun, the moon and the truth...'

victory is near for the Muslims Insha'Allah :w:

Pk_#2
11-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Ameen to the previous dua's :'(

Thummah Ameen!

May Allah help him and protect him from any harm.

IbnAbdulHakim
11-08-2006, 02:22 PM
its not that, i noticed its ALWAYS those who stick to the quran and sunnah and have a passion and ACT to revive the deen that get locked up !

subhanAllah, ALWAYS :anger:

Pk_#2
11-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Yeah, especially recently, you just hear of Muslim brothers and sisters being tortured, for no reason :'(

so sad,

May Allah (Swt) protect the Ummah!!!!!!!

:(

Re.TiReD
11-08-2006, 02:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
its not that, i noticed its ALWAYS those who stick to the quran and sunnah and have a passion and ACT to revive the deen that get locked up !

subhanAllah, ALWAYS :anger:
its coz they seen as a 'danger'....they dont want practisin Muslims do they!!! but I reckon the youth of today will show em...show em that it duznt just take someone like Awlaki...i.e. properly versed in Islam.....to spread the message....no! WE too can make a difference.

IbnAbdulHakim
11-08-2006, 02:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by dreamer
its coz they seen as a 'danger'....they dont want practisin Muslims do they!!! but I reckon the youth of today will show em...show em that it duznt just take someone like Awlaki...i.e. properly versed in Islam.....to spread the message....no! WE too can make a difference.
inshaALlah, almost every brother i talk to these days has the intention to go out there and ACT (MI5, i said ACT, that could mean sell chips so get lost) to do sumthin 4 islam !

INSHAALLAH !!!

may Allah giv us all huge parts to help this ummah ! Ameen !

:salamext:

Re.TiReD
11-08-2006, 02:37 PM
lol brother thats great! Masha'Allah I wish the situation was same for me...nobody bothers where I am...:cry:

ah well....eyes will have to open at some point or another...wallahu Aalim, meanwhile all we can do is play OUR part...:w:

IbnAbdulHakim
11-08-2006, 02:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by dreamer
lol brother thats great! Masha'Allah I wish the situation was same for me...nobody bothers where I am...:cry:

ah well....eyes will have to open at some point or another...wallahu Aalim, meanwhile all we can do is play OUR part...:w:
maybe its coz i go on like a super extremist and they think i'll bomb them if they dont agree :eek: ;D

but honestly, a lot of brothers seem to share my view mashaAllah. I think revival of the deen is near :D

LUVAR
11-08-2006, 02:43 PM
inshaAllah this is a trial for him as the righteous one before have been tried

Re.TiReD
11-08-2006, 02:45 PM
lol brother mazed!!

:) you gotta remember Awlaqi is in Yemen, a high profile prisoner with loads of security and attention...dunno if he'll reply or even GET the letters. sometimes the guards tend to be sadistic and give the letters late...or maybe not at all :offended:

^^^^ cant seem to PM, dunno why but thats what I think...wassalamu'alaykum...hope you consider the HHUGS thing

Maimunah
11-08-2006, 02:50 PM
May Allah save him n help him:)
ameen.
its just sad to see whats happening to us:(

wasalaam

MinAhlilHadeeth
11-08-2006, 02:51 PM

Just a general reminder/advice for members not to post their intentions on the net. Islamic forums are being monitored these days, and you may end up in prison before you get the chance to 'act'. I know everything is in the Hands of Allah, but you need to set up precautions.

:wasalamex

ruhi
11-09-2006, 09:21 PM
assalamu walaikum,
I am a great fan of Imam Anwar al Awlaki........i'm stunned by the news of his arrest. I pray to Allah (swt) to protect him from all the torture & injustice, is there any other way to help him out other than just writting letters to the authorities?

wassalam.

Ghazi
11-19-2006, 05:52 PM
:sl:

I was shocked to her this news today, I prey to allah that this is isn't true!

08/11/2006
Urgent Appeal: Imam Anwar Al Awlaki - A Leader in Need

www.cageprisoners.com

Reports indicate that Imam Anwar Al Awlaki, a prominent Muslim scholar highly regarded in English speaking Islamic circles, has been detained incommunicado for the past two months in Yemen and may face torture or ill treatment in custody.

Anwar Awlaki, whilst in the US worked for inter-faith dialogue– working hard to establish a reasoned, nuanced and just form of intellectual dissent in Western Muslims Enabling Muslim communities in western societies to contribute and interact in wider society and contribute to it whilst remaining confident of their Islamic heritage and identity.

Regarding the 9/11 attacks, Imam Anwar was quick to state,

“What has occurred is a heinous crime. A Muslim can have nothing to do with this.” [1]

Imam Anwar was renowned for his justice amongst people, even when Muslim sentiment would seem to be totally against the West; this is typified by one of his statements:

“President Bush has showed the Muslim American community some good gestures. He specifically warned the people from committing any hate crimes against their fellow Muslim citizens, and he visited a Mosque.”

BACKGROUND

Anwar al-Awlaki is a Muslim scholar who was born in New Mexico, and is a US national. His parents are from Yemen, where he lived for eleven years and received the early part of his Islamic education.
He served as an Imam in Colorado, California, and later in the Washington, D.C. area where he headed the Dar Al-Hijrah Islamic Center and was also the Muslim Chaplain at George Washington University. Prior to his detention, he was resident in Yemen, where he was studying Islamic Jurisprudence with prominent scholars, He holds a B.S. in Civil Engineering from Colorado State University, a M.A. in Education Leadership from San Diego State University and was working on a Doctorate degree in Human Resource Development at George Washington University. He authored many popular audio series including the "Lives of the Prophets", "The Hereafter" and "The Life of Muhammad".

In the early hours of October 17, a Yemeni secret police raid swept up eight foreigners living in Sana'a, under surveillance by the CIA and British intelligence, and at least 12 other men across Yemen. Yemeni authorities insist they dismantled an al-Qa'ida cell and disrupted a gun-running ring to neighboring Somalia.

It was subsequently reported that the key to the raids was Anwar Al Awlaki (identified in the media as 'Abu Atiq') who was arrested six weeks before the October 17 swoop. Media reports allege that 'Abu Atiq' was an associate of two of the September 11 hijackers and a protege of Abdul al-Majid al-Zindani, who the US wants arrested on terror charges. They also make allegations of supposed involvement in a foiled al-Qa'ida plot to bomb oil and gas facilities in Yemen.

He is believed to be held in Central Security Prison in Sana'a. Locals in Sanaa insist, perhaps apocryphally, that the two stories of the complex above ground sit atop eight stories underground, where torture rooms and darkened cells are often used.

Human rights organisations such as Amnesty International have repeatedly raised concerns regarding arrests and detentions by the Political Security Organ in Yemen, which are carried out with total disregard for the rule of law and for Yemen’s international human rights obligations. Amnesty states that, “arrests are carried out without the judicial supervision required by law and those detained were invariably subjected to lengthy incommunicado detention and interrogations, during which some detainees claim that they were tortured or ill-treated. Detainees have also been denied access to lawyers, as well as being denied the opportunity to challenge the legality of their detention before a court.”

For more information about Imam Anwar al-Awlaki, please visit:

http://www.cageprisoners.com/prisoners.php?id=2127

Take Action for Imam Anwar Al Awlaki

Write to the US authorities:

Demand that the state department fulfils their statutory duties and provide consular assistance and clarify where Anwar Al Awlaki is held;
Demand an end to incommunicado and secret detention; detainees should be held only in officially recognized places of detention with access to family, lawyers and courts;
Call for human rights laws and standards to be strictly adhered to in cooperation between US security forces and those of other countries, ensuring that torture and ill-treatment, incommunicado detentions and "disappearance" play no part in such cooperation;
Ensure his rights as a US national are being protected and that his detention is free from torture or ill-treatment
The Honorable Condoleezza Rice
Secretary of State
U.S. Department of State
2201 C Street, N.W.
Washington DC 20520
Tel: + 1 202 647 4000
Fax: + 1 202 261 8577
E-mail: http://contact-us.state.gov/ask_form...secretary.html

Write to the Yemeni authorities:

Appeal for the immediate release of Anwar Al Awlaki unless he is to be promptly charged with a recognizable criminal offence and given a fair trial without further delay in accordance with international fair trial standards
Call on the authorities to respect the rule of law
Remind the authorities of their obligations under both national and international human rights law and allow Anwar Al Awlaki access to legal counsel, his family and the opportunity to challenge the legality of his detention

His Excellency General ‘Ali ‘Abdullah Saleh
President
Office of The President
Sana’a
Republic of Yemen
Faxes: 009671274147

His Excellency Rashid Muhammad al-‘Alimi
Office of the Republic of Yemen Ministry of the Interior
Sana’a
Republic of Yemen
Telephone: 009671332701
Fax: 009671274147

Write to Islamic organisations:

Encourage all Islamic organisations in the US to campaign for the release of Imam Anwar al-Awlaki.
Further encourage the these societies in the US to promote the right to a fair trial and the rule of law.
Islamic Society of North America
PO Box 38
Plainfield
IN 46168
USA
Telephone: 0013178398157
Fax: 0013178391840

Council on American-Islamic Relations
453 New Jersey Avenue ,
S.E. Washington
DC 20003
Telephone: 0012024888787
Fax: 0012024880833

IbnAbdulHakim
11-19-2006, 06:27 PM
good info bro, may Allah grant us the understanding to help a great brother in need !

BlissfullyJaded
11-19-2006, 06:37 PM

*Threads Merged*

Hijrah
11-19-2006, 06:41 PM
I said what i could about Anwar Al-Awlaki,

Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilaihi Raji'oon

Ghazi
11-19-2006, 06:45 PM

In some ways this brother through the will of allah brought me back to the deen and has given me insight into topics the majority don't speak about, even though I disagree with a few of his views I respect this bro and love him for the sake of allah.

YusufNoor
11-22-2006, 04:56 AM
being relatively new to Islam, the Imam's name didn't strike any bells and this is the 1st time that i've looked in the section. however, the titles of his work i recognized immediately as i shop online ALOT!

his bio on several prominent sites, refers to him "residing" in Yemen. do you think they would change that???

May Allah (SWT) bear him in mind as He did the Prophet Yusuf, and turn his ordeal into victory!

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.