/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Defending Islam - Does it get Annoying?

chris4336
11-19-2006, 09:57 PM
Hi, I'm new here but I can see the same topics are being brought up over and over, Aisha's age when she was married, slavery, polygamy. I'm just curious to see how Muslims feel about us (meaning westeners) asking on the same topics over and over?

-Does it get really annoying?
-Can you see where we are coming from and how many of us are horrified to hear some of these things (at first, with no explanation)?
-Do you think it has to do with how Islam is practiced today? or more with the media portrayl of Islam in western countries?

Or any other thoughts you have on the topic.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
rubiesand
11-19-2006, 10:25 PM
Hi Christina,

It would get annoying if the same person kept bringing up the same issues over and over while refusing to learn our perspective on these things. I've seen that happen on other boards.

I'm glad to see any individual ask genuine questions about something they've read about Islam that disturbs them. Most people are able to accept a logical explanation, and then they realise much of what has been presented to them about Islam from non-Islamic sources (especially over the internet) is distorted and sometimes outright lies.

It's scary to think of those people who never think to question what anti-Islamic sources tell them. We as Muslims need to do a better job of getting the truth across to the general public.

Hijrah
11-19-2006, 10:29 PM
It annoys me when I don't have an answer for it and I don't know.

- Qatada -
11-19-2006, 10:45 PM
I think the main thing can become annoying if the person repeats the argument and doesn't accept it, they may only do it to attack without having the intention to learn. So they continue spreading lies to other ignorant people with lies which have already been refuted.

But we shouldn't mind anyway because we're doing it to please Allaah, so our reward is with Him if we are sincere insha'Allaah.

That's how i feel anyway.

Peace.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
chacha_jalebi
11-19-2006, 10:48 PM
wagwan :p

now now :D

as long as the kuffar keep bringin their claims, inshallah every single muslim will be able to refute them and fix them, because there is no fault in islam:D im not jus sayin that because im muslim, i challenge any1 of the kuffar to find a fault in islam and prove it with evidence :D its not possible :D:D:D

inshallah we will always be able to answer the Qs and never get annoyed :D

YusufNoor
11-19-2006, 11:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chris4336
Hi, I'm new here but I can see the same topics are being brought up over and over, Aisha's age when she was married, slavery, polygamy. I'm just curious to see how Muslims feel about us (meaning westeners) asking on the same topics over and over?

-Does it get really annoying?
-Can you see where we are coming from and how many of us are horrified to hear some of these things (at first, with no explanation)?
-Do you think it has to do with how Islam is practiced today? or more with the media portrayl of Islam in western countries?

Or any other thoughts you have on the topic.

i had no idea....*gulp*,

slavery issue is pretty easy as Islam helped to end it.

polygamy, well, even the Muslims get THAT one wrong!!!! :okay:

i'm a westerner AND a Muslim, so i doubt it'll bother me!! :giggling:

- Qatada -
11-19-2006, 11:30 PM
:salamext:

Here's a top lecture on the marriage of Aa'isha (may Allaah Almighty be pleased with her) and the Messenger of Allaah - Muhammad (peace be upon him)

http://www.islamicboard.com/559414-post106.html

Only about half an hour long i think, but it totally turns the tables around and the person may even become muslim through it insha'Allaah. :)

IbnAbdulHakim
11-19-2006, 11:45 PM
Peace chris

you know Noah (Nuh as the muslims call him, may peace be upon him), when it comes to inviting people to islam i kind of see him as a huge role model (not forgettin the belove nabi saws), you see he preached for 950 years only to be betrayed by his wife and son and have followers next to nothing yet he persevered. Its thoughts like this that get me going. May Allah grant them the best of paradise !!!

Peace :)

Umar001
11-19-2006, 11:56 PM
I find it interesting, because most people that I meet, and I have met some real haters of Islaam, remind me of me before I became Muslim, though admitedly alot of them seem more educated about Islaam.

I think the only thing that annoys me or fastruates me is Muslims believing lies or Muslims being fooled by non-Muslims, I have never ever known so much pain then when I had embraced Islaam and heard then of people leaving Islaam, it hurts me so bad, and its personally a scary thing for me, which worries me alot.

As for people asking questions, I don't mind that, again as I see it as a progressive stage, I do get annoyed when people, Muslims or non-Muslims use arguements they know to be wrong to "win" people or debates, but I think am very tolerable and it takes me a while before I'd get annoyed, it can be abit tirying but if noone gave me da'wah and listened to my questions, I guess I wouldn't be here :p

Eesa.

Umar001
11-19-2006, 11:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
Peace chris

you know Noah (Nuh as the muslims call him, may peace be upon him), when it comes to inviting people to islam i kind of see him as a huge role model (not forgettin the belove nabi saws), you see he preached for 950 years only to be betrayed by his wife and son and have followers next to nothing yet he persevered. Its thoughts like this that get me going. May Allah grant them the best of paradise !!!

Peace :)
Yea what about the Prophet/Messenger peace be upon him, which on judgement day will have noone follow him :uuh: :uuh:

Skillganon
11-20-2006, 12:07 AM
Although I was born into a muslim family & was a muslim (always), defending (cearing misconception) Islam was what made me go deeper into what I believe & why I believe. My knowledge before was very little, now it has grown aswell as my faith.

chris4336
11-20-2006, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the replys - and just to let you know your efforts are appreciated...:)

Umar001
11-20-2006, 12:16 AM
Don't mention it :)

YusufNoor
11-20-2006, 12:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
:salamext:

Here's a top lecture on the marriage of Aa'isha (may Allaah Almighty be pleased with her) and the Messenger of Allaah - Muhammad (peace be upon him)

http://www.islamicboard.com/559414-post106.html

Only about half an hour long i think, but it totally turns the tables around and the person may even become muslim through it insha'Allaah. :)
that was pretty good! :)

Keltoi
11-20-2006, 12:44 AM
I'm sure defending Islam gets just as annoying as how Christians feels when they have to defend their faith against repeated accusations and "questions".

Woodrow
11-20-2006, 12:50 AM
I find it very helpfull for people to ask questions. It causes me to search and become more aware of Islamic teachings. I am still pretty much a newbie and am only now gaining some insight into the Ahadith. If it had not been for people asking questions and bringing up refutations, I would have probably gone on my happy way without even knowing the Ahadith exist.

As was stated before by an earlier poster, the only time it gets frustrating is when the same person continuously asks the same question. It soon becomes obvious that the person is not here to learn, but to find ways to attack Islam. Sometimes I feel like they are like buzzards just circling, ready to come in for the kill, when one of us posts an answer that differs a little from answers posted by other Brothers and Sisters.

Now a more direct answer. I love the questions and refutations. I hope I never grow tired of them. It is by explaining that I also learn, and I have much to learn.

Muezzin
11-20-2006, 02:38 AM
I do grow tired of defending Islam from constant attacks and I have become slightly paranoid and cyncial in that I seem to have a tendency to suspect people are attacking either me as a Muslim or my religion any time they say something remotely critical. I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise to any member here I have treated rudely as a result. I'll try to get back that open-mindedness I seem to have lost somewhere along the line. Oddly, this cynicism only seems to manifest when reading words in Internet forums. Maybe the lack of face to face contact or tone of voice contributes to it.

On the other hand I actually like clarifying Islam for people who genuinely want to learn more about it. :)

zanjabeela
11-21-2006, 07:37 AM
I don't mind answering questions, even repeatedly...until I find out that the person has merely been stringing me along, waiting for a crack in the "foundation of my faith" as it were, and thus looking for the opportunity to start converting me. That irritates me, because I don't begin these dialogues, and I also don't believe in converting people. So when people begin these fake "dialogues" for the intention of converting me, it bugs. Otherwise, its cool. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.