/* */

PDA

View Full Version : General Question

Bin Qasim
06-28-2005, 07:39 PM
:sl:

I don't know where to ask this so I am doing it in general chat,hopefully right, insha Allah.

Question is: Does one person have total control over his/her memory? like if I want to forget certain things can one do that like delete them from our memory?? I know kinda of weird but still needs an answer insha Allah.

:w: :brother:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S_87
06-28-2005, 08:02 PM

no i dont think they do and the thing you try to forget most you dont forget

and if anyone thinks opposite then please tell me the method :thumbs_up

kadafi
06-28-2005, 08:05 PM

That is correct sis amani.

We cannot control our memory but can only enhance our ability to perceive memory.

:w:

06-28-2005, 09:49 PM
salamo alaykom
i hope that can help u to understand The Secrets of Memory

Why can we remember someone we met once a year ago and forget something that happened last night?

It all depends on how two distinct parts of the brain process the information, according to studies by neuroscientists from Stanford and Harvard who have been able to take a big step toward solving the mystery by literally peering inside the human brain at the split second it creates a memory.

Using new highly sophisticated magnetic resonance imaging scanners on volunteers, the researchers were able to show that neural activity in certain brain regions predicts what experiences will be remembered later. The study at Stanford involved memory for scenic photos while the study at Harvard involved memory for words.

Scientists have long suspected that people remember some things better than others partly because of differences in the way the initial experience is encoded into the brain. These studies are the first to show which parts of the brain determine whether a specific, current experience is fated to be remembered or forgotten.

The new studies show that when the right prefrontal lobe became active, the experience of seeing an image or a word is significantly more likely to be remembered. The findings may help scientists understand why sufferers of Alzheimer and other forms of senile dementia often have vivid memories of long past events but easily forget things that happened in their daily lives.

The individuals in the Stanford study varied greatly on which pictures they remembered well, but the activity levels in each person's brain at the time a picture was viewed predicted if he or she would remember that picture later, said John Gabrieli, associate professor of psychology.

"It's interesting to speculate about what could be driving the difference in the activation and the correlating differences in memory," said James Brewer, a graduate student in neuroscience and medicine.

"Perhaps one person would see a photograph of Zion National Park and think, 'Hey, I just visited that place on my way to California!' while another would think, 'Outdoor desert scene. . . What's the next scene going to be?' " The first person's memory of the picture would likely be stronger, he said.

For more information contact: http://www.stanford.edu/news/report/...memory826.html

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
minaz
06-28-2005, 10:30 PM
lol it's hard to remember the good times to 100% but it's complete opposite in remembering the bad ones!

Bin Qasim
07-01-2005, 03:30 PM

that was very helpful Alhamdulillah sister imane. Jazak Allahu Khair for the article, enjoyed reading it.

:w: :brother:

Z
07-01-2005, 05:08 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

Again, this is the wisdom of Allah.

Think, if we was to forget all the worse that happened to us, how would our reactions, feelings, affections towards others and in life be? Imagine if all that we remember is good, would that help us appreciate any moment? I think not.

I think Allah has made the man with great wisdom. We can remember the bad things a lot more as these are the things which keep us focused. They help us better ourselves in deen and dunya. Whenever we do something horrible, or wrong, the next time we come across it in life, the mind will remember right away the incident which happened previously, hence this time we wouldn't make the same mistake again.

Also remember, all good and bad comes from Allah, and each thing Allah does has great wisdom and good reasoning behind it. The bad times we remember, are only left branded in the mind to help us appreicate the good times we go through.

Allahu Alim.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.