/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Iz it coz I is white!?

Fishman
11-22-2006, 08:47 AM
:sl:
I know that it is recommended to wear a cap or kufi as a sign of Islam. But a few days ago I walked down the street in one, and nobody recognised that I was Muslim, not even other Muslims. People just thought I was wearing a weird hat. I think it comes down to this: I'm white, so nobody thinks of me as Muslim.
I can't change my name properly, I'm not allowed to wear Islamic clothes and having an Islamic cap on my head doesn't make any difference. Is there anything I can do to be identified as a Muslim?
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
11-22-2006, 08:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I know that it is recommended to wear a cap or kufi as a sign of Islam. But a few days ago I walked down the street in one, and nobody recognised that I was Muslim, not even other Muslims. People just thought I was wearing a weird hat. I think it comes down to this: I'm white, so nobody thinks of me as Muslim.
I can't change my name properly, I'm not allowed to wear Islamic clothes and having an Islamic cap on my head doesn't make any difference. Is there anything I can do to be identified as a Muslim?
Wear an Arab dress?:confused:

Fishman
11-22-2006, 09:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Wear an Arab dress?:confused:
As I said, my parents won't let me, except for on Eid. I think that they are going to force me to be vegetarian as well, since they won't buy halal meat, and nothing will convice them that it is a humane method of slaughter unless they strap 'brain measurers' to the animals themselves.

F.Y.
11-22-2006, 09:03 AM
If you came to Oz, I'd see you and think 'Hey! Muslim brother! Yay!' - maybe it's just a cultural thing.

You could:
Draw a thick black beard with black eyeliner onto your face :D
Wear those funny shirts that have Islamic messages:shade:
Wear a jubbah - long shirt thingie.....
Walk around saying Salam to everyone, loudly and clearly and make sure you smile:happy:

Just not care that they havent recognised you as Muslim - you know, Allah knows - and if you say salam to others, I'm sure they'll catch on too!

Peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
11-22-2006, 09:04 AM
Grow a beard? I'm not sure of your age though.

zanjabeela
11-22-2006, 09:05 AM
How about a beard to go with the kufi? You should look like a Syrian Arab then...I am guessing...good luck!

Fishman
11-22-2006, 09:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Grow a beard? I'm not sure of your age though.
I am growing a beard. But it is almost invisible unless you look really close.

Wear those funny shirts that have Islamic messages:shade:
Wear a jubbah - long shirt thingie.....
Walk around saying Salam to everyone, loudly and clearly and make sure you smile:happy:

Just not care that they havent recognised you as Muslim - you know, Allah knows - and if you say salam to others, I'm sure they'll catch on too!
The problem is that if I say salam to people I don't know they think that I'm just a youth who wants to make fun of them by pretending to be Muslim. Loads of people do that to me at school.

syilla
11-22-2006, 09:09 AM
i agree with sis F.Y

you can start by giving salam to the muslims

Fishman
11-22-2006, 09:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
i agree with sis F.Y

you can start by giving salam to the muslims
As I said before, people who don't know I'm Muslim think I'm an imposter if I give salams to them. I want to do something to stop this happening, but the problem is that I can't do anything about it.

syilla
11-22-2006, 09:18 AM
try giving a sincere smile...i'm sure they know you are not an imposter....

if they don't believe you...go to the other person. I'm sure there will be one person who believes you.

Abu Ibraheem
11-22-2006, 09:22 AM
Salam

the great distinguisher, if you can practice this, as the Prophet pbuh commanded: "Oppose the mushriks, trim the mostache and grow the beard."

F.Y.
11-22-2006, 09:25 AM
Say hello first then, stop for a quick chat and say 'i became Muslim X months ago. How are you brother?'
Ok then see you around, 'Assalamualaikum!'.

Maybe....

If they think you mock, let them. You be sincere. They should catch on sooner or later.
If they think you're weird, dont worry mate. You know you're muslim and Allah knows - no worries :)

Fishman
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Ibraheem
Salam

the great distinguisher, if you can practice this, as the Prophet pbuh commanded: "Oppose the mushriks, trim the mostache and grow the beard."
First of all, loads of non-Muslims have beards these days. On it's own a beard is not very useful.
secondly, I'm too young to have a beard, all I've got is a few small tufts of hair on my chin.

syilla
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Ibraheem
Salam

he is only 15...i doubt he has mostache and beard :embarrass

Fishman
11-22-2006, 09:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
he is only 15...i doubt he has mostache and beard :embarrass
I do actually have a moustache, but it's not a proper one yet, just a lot of small, dark hairs on my chin. It's too small to trim, and unfortunately a bit of it keeps getting in the corner of my mouth.

Mateen
11-22-2006, 09:40 AM
Assalam-o-alaikum,

Apart from dress code you can also welcome anyone you meet with the Islamic greeting Assalam-o-alaikum.{Tell them its means Peace Be on You}

Also why would you want everyone on the street to know that you are a Muslim? Remember you are a muslim for yourself. Just behave the best way a muslim can. Help those in need whenever you can, go to mosque 5 times a day. Impress others that Islam is not only a religion but a way of life far better than any religion. With time you will be respected for being a Muslim.

Wassalam.

Fishman
11-22-2006, 10:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mateen

Also why would you want everyone on the street to know that you are a Muslim?
Wassalam.
Because the Prophet (pbuh) commanded us to do things to identify ourselves as Muslims, like grow the beard. It may not be the most important of rules, but it is still a commandment.

julie sarri
11-22-2006, 11:18 AM
:sl: brother i'm a white revert sister who wears the hijab and at frist i used to get upset that sisters dont say asalam to me and they can see that i am wearing hijab. then i thought the most importent thing is that allah swt know that i am a muslim and that i follow the quran and sunnah and that is more importent the older you get brother your beard will grow inshaallah.now when i am in the street and i see a sister i smile frist like every ones been saying some times they smile back some times i get asalam some times nothing but even if you get nothing allah swt know your intention to say it.as for going vegetarian i did when i go to see my mum she has vegetarian food for me.she dosent understand about halal but when i am at home i eat halal i know its hard right now but inshaallah as time passis by they will inshaallah start to understand a bit better about islam my mum has learned a lot about it since i reverted my mum said to me once cant you wera a wig instead of hijab its the same thing it covers your hair i just looked at her and walked away i had to laugh but she is soooooooooo much better now alhamdulillah

YusufNoor
11-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Assalamu alaykum wa'rahma-tullahi, wa'barakatahu

greetings little Bro!

i MAY be able to assist you on this!

first of all, DO NOT just say "Salaam Alykum". why, cuz almost anybody knows this phrase. make sure you say AT LEAST "Assalamu Alaykum"; because it's more proper and they MIGHT get the hint. BETTER to say "Assalamu alaykum wa'rahma-tullahi, wa'barakatahu"! cuz now they will have to pause to think "wait, he said that right. maybe he IS a brother!"

try to catch their eye before speaking. if they are looking at you, bring your right hand over your heart and then raise it as a greeting.

if that don't work, simply add "Alhumdulillah, nice to see you today" make sure your hand is over your heart when you say "Alhumdulillah"

and shave the mustache off completely. i don't care if it makes you feel older. learn Seerah, follow Seerah. like once a month, lose it completely. i used to just trim mine, alot-but just a trim, i started eliminating it completely and just shortly afterwards a Sister DID say that it was my face that told her i was a Muslim!!

but seriously, learn Seerah, follow Seerah! the more you know about the Rasoolulah (pbuh), the more you will 1) love him, 2) think like him, 3) behave like him. this will assist you greatly in having folks recognize you.

you're in school right? you have a backpack? get a long shirt or a thobe and keep it in there at home. put it on outside your house!

may Allah(SWT) strengthen you and help your Iman to grow and may HE cause those around you to recognize your attributes as well as your identity!

i have other ideas if your interested.

DigitalStorm82
11-23-2006, 12:12 AM
Asalamu Alaikum Bro,

Hope you're doing well and in a good state of Imaan... your question itself is a good indication of your heart. Continue to travel in the righteous path...

Bro, when you come across a muslim, it is your duty to say salaam. It is a sin upon someone who doesn't return your salaam... This is one your rights as a muslim. Alhumdulillah you fulfill your duty and inshallah others will learn to do the same...

My only advice for you is to not concern yourself with this matter too much. With time... people will learn that you are a muslim.

But if you feel you should be known now... then all you have to do is ask them a simple question... Asalaamu Alaikum... "I'm a new revert.... and Im... blah blah blah" Basically, this will let them know that you're seeking knowledge and trying to expand your muslim network... and Inshallah they will accept you as a muslim and see you as a muslim and not as an "imposter."

Lastly, people may recognize you as a muslim but they just don't say anything. Some people just keep their business to themselves and go about doing whatever they were doing.... you could say "introverts" or shy.

With time your appearance will change... as you mentioned your growing your beard... don't worry about it too much. You'll be fine, inshallah.

May Allah increase you in Imaan and continue to walk in the path of Allah.

W'salaamz,
Hamid

Skillganon
11-23-2006, 12:19 AM
Fishman, I can tell you by being a born muslim that it is same with me. Nothing to be suprise of, it happen's here in the UK (something I am dissapointed with) but inshallah we should not abandon the greeting, inshallah their will be some changes slowly.
Even I do greet and sometime get a blank stare.
Beard and Cap will make a little difference, I am sure it is not everything got to do with you being white.
================================================== =====
If someone does say assalamu alaikum, the response should by walaikum assalam.

Umar001
11-23-2006, 12:26 AM
LOl bro fishman, I had the totally opposite problem, when I was a non-muslim, alot of Muslims used to say salam to me, and i'd be like 'Am not a Muslim bruv!' I used to get so offended. It got to the point that at college people used to call me to prayer, they'd be like 'Yo, come pray man' and I'd be like 'For real IM NOT MUSLIM' but they used to keep pushing me because they thought I used to be a non-practising muslim who didnt want to pray.

Anyhow, now am a Muslim, the older generation harldy even smile at me, and this is me, the same guy who the younger people before I became Muslim used to tell me to go pray lol, it is upseting, I mean I feel like such an idiot half of the time when I say Salam and I just get blanked.

But Alhamdulilah, I come on here and tell everyone I love them so that makes up for it :p

Eesa.

YusufNoor
11-23-2006, 12:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
LOl bro fishman, I had the totally opposite problem, when I was a non-muslim, alot of Muslims used to say salam to me, and i'd be like 'Am not a Muslim bruv!' I used to get so offended. It got to the point that at college people used to call me to prayer, they'd be like 'Yo, come pray man' and I'd be like 'For real IM NOT MUSLIM' but they used to keep pushing me because they thought I used to be a non-practising muslim who didnt want to pray.
Anyhow, now am a Muslim, the older generation harldy even smile at me, and this is me, the same guy who the younger people before I became Muslim used to tell me to go pray lol, it is upseting, I mean I feel like such an idiot half of the time when I say Salam and I just get blanked.

But Alhamdulilah, I come on here and tell everyone I love them so that makes up for it :p

Eesa.

perhaps they were making du'a when they saw you! their timing was just a wee bit off!

Umar001
11-23-2006, 12:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor

perhaps they were making du'a when they saw you! their timing was just a wee bit off!

Sorry brother Im totally confused by this reply?
:?

Md Mashud
11-23-2006, 03:45 PM
What is with the struggle to be a recognised muslim? There is no need for others to think your a Muslim.

Hijrah
11-23-2006, 03:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Md Mashud
What is with the struggle to be a recognised muslim? There is no need for others to think your a Muslim.
Actually, it's very important to distinguish yourself from the kuffar...

Hijrah
11-23-2006, 03:48 PM

The problem is that if I say salam to people I don't know they think that I'm just a youth who wants to make fun of them by pretending to be Muslim. Loads of people do that to me at school.
insha'allah the beard will grow, the beard differs as to what age it grows for different people, for me it started growing rapidly at 14, but don't worry about that..

Daffodil
11-23-2006, 04:01 PM
loll firstly this title is so funny!

my husband is white n ppl start talking to him in urdu cuz he defo looks muslim n some ppl cant get their head around the fact that hes an english muslim lol some ppl really do live in the dark ages.

dnt let it get to u as long as u know n allah knows ur a muslim.

if ppl think u mock them then so be it, allah swt knows ur intention.

when ur older inshallah ur beard will grow thick n long n ppl will inshallah realise ur a muslim.

oh yea and dnt worry about ppl blanking u wen u giv them salam, i obviously stand out as a muslim cuz of the hijab etc etc and i giv salams n ppl still blank me! some times theyre just in their own world or something, but any ways, if they dnt reply to ur salams then the angels reply to them! subhanallah.

Umm Yoosuf
11-23-2006, 04:13 PM

You'll have to excuse some of the Muslims, some are quite ignorant, they believe only people of their own race/country are Muslims.

The way i recongise a brother is Muslim is by

1. By his beard
2. Trousers is above his ankle
3. and his Islamic cap.
4. Khamis

If he has either of those four followed by their distinctive Islamic manners e.g. lowering their gaze, I can see that they are Muslim.

The Ruler
11-23-2006, 04:43 PM

you know...my personal opinion is that...the people that dont reply to your salams have got some serious issues...i mean a muslim or not...a person greets you with peace and you return the same...not a hostile look of hatred...it is not because you are a white...because it is not very uncommon these days having white muslims...unless them people are tooooo ignorant...but it is probably cause they are baffled when they see a "kid" your age as a muslim....

:D

Kittygyal
11-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Assalmualikum warhmathullahi warbarakathuhu

i understand Akhi same here am white && many womens out there think am just being sarcastic to there religion well am NOT i feel thy same aswel at times i always try my best but then again who cares if were not muslims i mean we reverted to the right religion Allah subhanwatallah knows our intention he knows we are muslims so whom are we doing this for people or Allah:?

i understand because me self is in thy same position like i said but remember one thing in few years time you will have a beard && what so not but even 'jews' have beards so be careful about that one, maybe you can have a tasbeh in your hand && read that when ya walking or something like that, as for your parents issue it's very hard for you && me because ALL of me family don't believe in Islam neither so yeah tuff thing but inshallah Allah subhanwatallah will understand so chillax dearest bro also you are small after all your a teen 15 && am 21 so tuff job but gotcha be done inshallah :)

do me a favour remember me in your Du3'ah, shukran

walikumassalm warhmathullahi warbarakathuhu

Umar001
11-23-2006, 04:49 PM
This thread is kinda upsetting lol, all the kinda 'key symbols' by which others recognise Muslims, are those that I tend to lack in lol.

Bro as for the beard, well your white, so inshaAlllah your beard will grow and because of your colour it will stand out, lol am from east africa, and trust our beards hardly grow, and I dont mean when we are teens, I mean TOTALLY lol, am touchin 20 and well its not lookin very promising lol.

But dont worry akhi, give me your description and I'll come round your area and say salam whenever I see ya ;)

Fishman
11-23-2006, 05:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by +*Glacier*+

you know...my personal opinion is that...the people that dont reply to your salams have got some serious issues...i mean a muslim or not...a person greets you with peace and you return the same...not a hostile look of hatred...it is not because you are a white...because it is not very uncommon these days having white muslims...unless them people are tooooo ignorant...but it is probably cause they are baffled when they see a "kid" your age as a muslim....

:D

Yes, I think being a kid is another problem, since almost all the kids in my school love mocking 'izlam' anyway. The conversations go like this:
Guy: Are you muzlim?
Me: Yes.
Guy (to his friends): Look, it's the muzlim!
Guy (to me): Do you do that 'Allah, Allah' thing (starts mocking prayer or reading Quran)
Guy 2: Hey, I know your religion! You worship that elephant man called vishnu, don't you?
Me: No, that's Hinduism
Guy 3: You can't be a Muslim! Where's your turban? And where's your dress? And where's your little doggie (yes, he did say that)?
(I walk away)

With things like this happening all the time, I think it's very hard for somebody to trust me when I say salam.

YusufNoor
11-23-2006, 05:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
Sorry brother Im totally confused by this reply?
:?

my bad, i missed this! :embarrass

we make du'a for the Ummah; perhaps the recognized your (potential)Iman, maybe your nur and thusly greeted you as a Muslim!

after all, they weren't wrong! just a bit premature!

Skillganon
11-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Yes, I think being a kid is another problem, since almost all the kids in my school love mocking 'izlam' anyway. The conversations go like this:
Guy (to me): Do you do that 'Allah, Allah' thing (starts mocking prayer or reading Quran)
Guy 2: Hey, I know your religion! You worship that elephant man called vishnu, don't you?
Guy 3: You can't be a Muslim! Where's your turban? And where's your dress? And where's your little doggie (yes, he did say that)?
(I walk away)

With things like this happening all the time, I think it's very hard for somebody to trust me when I say salam.
Here's my Tip: Get rid of the dog! :shade:

Now you should see some changes.

Fishman
11-23-2006, 05:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
Here's my Tip: Get rid of the dog! :shade:

Now you should see some changes.
I don't have a dog, they just asked me where my dog was for no reason.

chacha_jalebi
11-23-2006, 05:32 PM
wear one of them hoodies with "soldier of Allah" :p on the back, but preferably not on tube as i will tell u frm personal experience :D:D:D

but but but :D:D:D you can always wear them obvious prayer hats, and even if no one still recognises your not muslim, remember inside you know your muslim and so does Allah (swt) know your muslim:D :D:D:D and thats enough :D:D:D

Skillganon
11-23-2006, 05:39 PM
I don't have a dog, they just asked me where my dog was for no reason.
I was Joking.

YusufNoor
11-23-2006, 05:42 PM

learn some Arabic little brother. and keep trying! also, find some of those masaajids and go meet the people!

http://transliteration.org/quran/home.htm

Umar001
11-23-2006, 06:08 PM
if you have the jumper, 'soldier of Allah' does that mean u dont go toilet with it on?

Hijaabi22
11-23-2006, 06:11 PM
give them ur salaams

seriously thatll take em by surprise, happened to me many tyms,like i work wid dis white woman, but she doesnt look like a muslim in any way but when I heard her givin her salaams to sum1 i was like maaaaaaaaaaassshhhaaaaaAlllahhhhhhhhhhhh u a muslim!!! ALLAHU AKBAR!

- Qatada -
11-23-2006, 06:36 PM
:salamext:

Bro, i think its the fact that lots of muslims aren't that practisin either.. so even if a normal person gave em Salaam, they would proli only mumble it back. It's there problem, not yours.. you jus gota work hard on givin the Salaam, then you done the rewardable act insha'Allaah.

DigitalStorm82
11-24-2006, 02:47 AM
Bro,

There is a simple answer to that problem...

Lack of knowledge... you just need to educate people.

Ask people around your community to hold an Islamic awareness event... let the muslims get some recognition in your area. People don't know the first thing about Islam it seems...

Perhaps you can invite a guest speaker (sheikh) to give a speech/lecture... tell people what Islam is really about... I KNOW its a BIG event and lots of planning has to be done... and trust me.. I've been there... it is definitely worth putting your efforts into this project... even if its just a few of you... the reward and satisfaction is great...

Just plan it and advertise for 2 weeks in the newspapers radios.. schools...etc.

Inshallah people will change... you have to do your part... and try.

Take care bro...

W'salaamz

anonymous
11-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatallah wa barakatu

like the fuzz my bro is trying to grow now :D lol mashallah..inshallah it'll grow into a full length beard ekhi

I just wanted to say something, I have a very low voice when I talk, because I'm quiet and shy naturally, so when I say my salaams a lot of times I'd raise it so that people will hear me and they still don't, othertimes they might reply without nifis (feeling) or sometimes its just not happening for me all together...anyways someone told me that when you say your salams with true intentions and it's not returned, then it is to Allah subhana wa ta'ala. So just keep that in mind. If the person doesn't reply because they were skeptical in providing dawah for a bro that knows an islamic phrase or two, then its their loss..your intentions always return to Allah.

Like other people have already said, say the full salaam inshallah. When you talk to someone say "inshallah, alhemdulilah, mashallah, allahu akbar" little things like that will get you noticed inshallah.

e.g.

You: Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatallah wa Barakatu ('ekhi' could be preferable here to show you know a bit more than just the salaam part)

Brother: :ooh: :mmokay:

You: Inshallah you are doing well today ekhi

Brother: :ooh: Walaikum assalam wa rahmatallah wa barakatu, yes alhemdulilah, I'm fine..:)

end

It might not go exactly like that, but you get my drift

and its not cuz you're white, its cuz it's their problem. Even if they aren't sure they should at least reply with "wa iyak", that's sunnah. Being Muslims, our first reaction is to be overly protective of our religion when we think its being ridiculed especially when we see a nonmuslim (or someone who looks like a nonmuslim) doing it. Perhaps too many, because of your age, its difficult for them to percieve that you are a Muslim, allahu A'lem. It's still no excuse for them.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

The Ruler
11-25-2006, 04:25 PM
(I walk away)

why not stand up for yourself...instead of just walking away...give them something to think about and then walk away :?

the convo could go like this:

Fishman: My turban and my dress are at home...school dont allow it...wana protest against it :?...and my doggie's ran away with my previous beliefs

(I walk away)

or something like that maybe :?

Sis_ReNa
11-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Salam walkaum wa rahmatuAllah wa barkatoh .
Belive it or not i had this probelm and still do LOL
and i wear jilbab kimar hijab the whole nine, and i still get asked if iam amish or a nun. maybe they are affrid to ask if iam muslim, but since i been wearing niqab no one asks.. i geusse that is a sure sign iam muslim.. now they ask why we wear it. i am with the whole berd thing exspeically since its sunnah but you cant grow that over night. but being muslim is not having everyone knowing you are muslim..tho i wear niqab for many reasons. one reason is cus they can not judge me based on the color of my skin they have to know who i am by actully getting to know me tho iam the one that uslly says salam walkaum to all the sisters at the masjid.. any who inshAllah it will all work out. Sabr is the best

Fishman
11-25-2006, 09:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by +*Glacier*+

why not stand up for yourself...instead of just walking away...give them something to think about and then walk away :?

the convo could go like this:

Fishman: My turban and my dress are at home...school dont allow it...wana protest against it :?...and my doggie's ran away with my previous beliefs

(I walk away)

or something like that maybe :?

This might be a better reply:
Me: 1. My turban is still in the shop.
2. Why aren't you wearing your dress? It would suit you.
3. Did you intend to say 'little doggie' or are you just weird?

Anyway, I've just found out that I'm too scared to wear my Kufi/topi thing (I'm not sure what it's called) outside. I must have drunk too much coke that evening.

The Ruler
11-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Anyway, I've just found out that I'm too scared to wear my Kufi/topi thing (I'm not sure what it's called) outside. I must have drunk too much coke that evening.

yup that would be a good comeback :thumbs_up

and about that kufi/topi thing....well...i dont know why you are scared...but am guessing that it is expected :)...so its alright :D

Kittygyal
11-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Assalmualikum warhmathullahi warbarakathuhu

subhnallah!

Akhi it will be okay don't let your self be scared stand up for your self inshallah.

May Allah subahnwatallah make it easy for you inshallah (A3min Thumma A3min Ya Rabil Alameen)

do me a favour remember me in your Du3'ah, shukran

walikumassalm warhmathullahi warbarakathuhu

Ismahaan
11-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Dear brother, what's important is that Allah knows you are a muslim. You don't need acceptance from anyone other Allah.

By the way, where do you live? I have seen white brothers with kufis on in London, who cannot really be mistaken for anything other than muslim.

Daffodil
12-01-2006, 01:38 AM
forget that!!! lol even some practicing bros dnt reply to my husbands salams because he goes to a "******" masjid!

ahkar shams
12-06-2006, 10:32 PM
that is a massive problem with us muslims, mainly asians what we tend to do is not talk to any new muslims, even if they are in the masjid, i use to be the same but now adays what i do is say salaam to a brother if i can see his a muslim

IzakHalevas
12-07-2006, 04:00 AM
Wear something with Arabic on it.

north_malaysian
12-07-2006, 04:05 AM
wear a cap, saying "I AM A MUSLIM!!!"

Al-Zaara
12-10-2006, 11:53 AM

Masha'Allah brother, I see you're really trying to be recognized as a Muslim.
I pray that Allah (swt) will make it easier for you!

When you go to the masjid, try to talk as much as you can with the Muslim brothers there and if you've got nothing to say, then just give your salaams, they sure will remember that and maybe the rumour will spread that there's a young, white revert around.

Another thing I've thought of, try to hang out with the younger generation of Muslims in your area or at school. Your company sometimes tells a lot about you, so being with Muslims can make them think, 1) you like Muslims 2) you want to revert 3) you're a Muslim already.

Insha'Allah, you will succeed.

Skillganon
12-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Iz it coz I is white!?
No, iz coz U is not black.

AvarAllahNoor
12-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Why do you want people to notice you're a muslim? It's not about wha'ts visible on the outside, it's what's in the heart!

Fishman
12-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Today I had some progress. I sat to eat in a shop with my topi on and a guy said salam to me and sat down next to me to talk to me. He was an imam from Birmingham. Unfortunately I could not talk to him much, as he did not speak much Eglish, only Arabic.

Fishman
12-10-2006, 07:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
No, iz coz U is not black.
Nar dan, it iz coz i iz not Azian, init?

Pretending to be a chav is somewhat funny. It sounds like how the non-practicing guy always sounds in those fake dialogues people keep posting here.

FBI
12-10-2006, 07:08 PM
non-practicing guy
who's that?

Skillganon
12-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Nar dan, it iz coz i iz not Azian, init?
Innit.

Pretending to be a chav is somewhat funny. It sounds like how the non-practicing guy always sounds in those fake dialogues people keep posting here.
Well this part I don't get.

Fishman
12-10-2006, 07:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FBI
who's that?
You know, the guy in those dialogues that people keep posting, which sound something like this:
Ahmed: Asalamu Alaikum brother!

Mumtal: S'lamz bro!

Ahmed: So what have you been up to recently?

Mumtal: I haz been cruising round da hood with da boyz, init! We went chasin da ladyz and poppin' caps in 'em!

Ahmed: You do know that shooting random women in the street is haram?

Mumtal: But 'Med, ma bledrin, everyone duz dat, init! Drivin' like normal peepz ain't no fun, an' u got 2 enjoy life before you get mashed up! Init!

Ahmed: But in the Quran, Allah (swt) tells us to work for the hereafter, and not simply enjoy the temporary attractions of this life.

Mumtal: But 'Med, I ain't got no time 4 all this religious stuff now, I'm gonna wait 'till I iz married 4 dat!

Ahmed: But what if you die before you get married, as you said, life is short, so it is better using it to do worthwhile things like worshipping Allah (swt)!

hidden_treasure
12-11-2006, 10:44 AM
assalamu alaikum,
yeh..grow a beard...:)

Dhulqarnaeen
12-12-2006, 05:54 AM
I do actually have a moustache, but it's not a proper one yet, just a lot of small, dark hairs on my chin. It's too small to trim, and unfortunately a bit of it keeps getting in the corner of my mouth.
Believe it or not, but a muslim can be seen from the light of his face :) So take care your wudhu, if the wudhu invalid, take wudhu again and take care of it.
And dont lose your fitrah as a man, wearing beard and you may not cut it till it reach a length as a hand fist.
Wear kufi, you know white kufi thats usually used for hajj right, so wear that.
And say salah to all muslims, this is sunnah muakkadah to start say salam. And dont bother your mind about those muslims! Wether they will think of you being fake muslims and all, dont think about that :rant: Whats is good for you is doing sunnah, and the rest let it to Allah, thats called ikhlas (sincere). Do all to have reward from Allah, and not to have reward from human, its riya' if you do so. OK :)
A muslim can be recognized from their acting, their akhlaq, their face and especially the black sign on their forehead cause of sujuud

Fishman
12-12-2006, 06:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hidden_treasure
assalamu alaikum,
yeh..grow a beard...:)
I don't actually think it would work that well, because loads of non-muslims have beards. Even my uncle had one until recently!

Anyway, I am too young to be able to have a beard, I'm only 15!

Al-Zaara
12-12-2006, 06:17 PM

Have you made any progress brother?
Did any of the advices help you?

Fishman
12-12-2006, 06:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara

Have you made any progress brother?
Did any of the advices help you?
As I said before, I wore my topi (not a kufi, it turns out I don't have a proper one) in a takeaway shop (one which sells 'proper' Asian food, not British things like chicken tikka masala), and a man came and said salam to me. He was an imam from Birmingham. Unfortunately he didn't speak much English, so we couldn't talk much.

Pk_#2
12-12-2006, 06:31 PM
yay!! you got a salaam, u've been noticed bro :)

AsalamuAlaykum heh!

Al-Zaara
12-12-2006, 07:44 PM
As I said before, I wore my topi (not a kufi, it turns out I don't have a proper one) in a takeaway shop (one which sells 'proper' Asian food, not British things like chicken tikka masala), and a man came and said salam to me. He was an imam from Birmingham. Unfortunately he didn't speak much English, so we couldn't talk much.
Yes, I read that already and alhamudlillah it was nice to hear. :)

I meant anymore changes, with the Muslim youth, older Muslims etc.? Do they recognize you being Muslim?

Fishman
12-12-2006, 09:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
Yes, I read that already and alhamudlillah it was nice to hear. :)

I meant anymore changes, with the Muslim youth, older Muslims etc.? Do they recognize you being Muslim?
Well, lots of older people know me because I'm a commited member of our congregation, alhamdulilah, and attend the Masjid as often as I can. But it's still difficult, especially with the youth, most of whom don't go to the Masjid and just hang around the corners listening to hip-hop and rap.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.