PDA

View Full Version : Petroleum jelly helps inmate flee Pretoria jail

Muezzin
11-22-2006, 04:03 PM
Petroleum jelly helps inmate flee Pretoria jail

Chris McGreal, Africa correspondent
Tuesday November 21, 2006
The Guardian

One of South Africa's most brutal criminals has become the first prisoner to escape from the country's highest security prison after covering his body in petroleum jelly and squeezing his way out of his cell despite being handcuffed and shackled.

Ananias Mathe has left prison officials stunned after slipping out of Pretoria's C-Max prison, built 36 years ago and previously thought to be escape proof, and leaving a note for warders that read simply: F--- you.

Mathe, a 29-year-old Mozambican former soldier, was awaiting trial on 51 charges of murder, rape, armed robbery and car hijacking after heading a gang of about 40 men that terrorised parts of Johannesburg and small towns in the north of South Africa for three years.

He was first arrested a year ago but four months later escaped from Johannesburg central police station's high risk detention facility. He was recaptured in December and sent to C-Max.

The Pretoria News reported that on Saturday night Mathe is believed to have cut through the wall around the tiny window in his cell, removed the bullet proof glass and frame, and to have stripped naked and covered himself in the petroleum jelly to squeeze through a gap 8 inches (20cm) wide. He carried his clothes in bed linen tied to a hook fashioned from a bed post.

How he managed all this when he was handcuffed and shackled by his feet, and under the watch of guards who patrol on a metal grid that allows them to look down into the cells, is the subject of an investigation by a special task team set up yesterday by the government. South Africa's prisons minister, Ngconde Balfour, said he believes Mathe had inside help.

Superintendent Andre Neethling, who led the hunt for Mathe, described him as the most brazen criminal he had come across.

Source

This was in the paper yesterday. It made me laugh, maybe it did the same for you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
11-22-2006, 04:20 PM
:salamext:

im surprised it took 36 years for someone to try that or perhaps the people that tried it before were too big lol

Muezzin
11-22-2006, 04:23 PM
Or maybe they couldn't find enough Vaseline.

Mawaddah
11-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Where'd he get all that vaseline from? :?

Brought a smile to my face.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Dahir
11-22-2006, 04:49 PM
At least we know now that Petroleum is a prisoner's escape key.

Time to pull out from the Middle East...:confused:

Muezzin
11-22-2006, 05:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
Where'd he get all that vaseline from? :?
I think prisoners get an allowance of toiletries or something. He must have saved his up.

Brought a smile to my face.
I imagine it brought a smile to his face too.

Dahir
11-22-2006, 05:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I think prisoners get an allowance of toiletries or something. He must have saved his up.
So, several bucket-fulls of vaseline didn't raise an inch of suspiction...:embarrass

The jail's entire staff should be fired and all prison sentences upped - just for the stupidity displayed by all!

:thumbs_do

Muezzin
11-22-2006, 05:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir
So, several bucket-fulls of vaseline didn't raise an inch of suspiction...:embarrass
Maybe they thought he had really, REALLY dry skin?

The jail's entire staff should be fired and all prison sentences upped - just for the stupidity displayed by all!

:thumbs_do
Hang on, if you fire all the jail staff and up the sentences, who's guarding the prison?

Dahir
11-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Hang on, if you fire all the jail staff and up the sentences, who's guarding the prison?
Why not demolish the prison with the prisoner inside - I mean its that often that they'll escape! +o(

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.