/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Diff between showing off and competition?

AnonymousPoster
11-23-2006, 07:53 AM
salams

Allah tells us in surat mutafifeen that we should compete for the akhirah.

My friends memorise quran, they encourage me to do it too, so recently i started memorising, i do it because i want to please allah. at same time to compete with may mates.

so when i feel like giving it a msis today i think 'oh hangon but tomorrow if my friedns test me they'll find out i'm falling behind', so that motivates me to learn more.

I got this very freaky feeling it might be considered showing off? How do we distinguish between showing off n competing for sake of Allah?

I'll admit, prior to my friends igniting this feeling of competition, it was almost ilke i was 'de-memorising' whatever i had learnt, but now i got this new flame of excitement in me to relearn everything... i'm doing really well coz of the encoruagement and competition, but i'm worried maybe my intentions are wrong?

salams.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
11-23-2006, 08:29 AM
A strange paradox. To please Allah(swt) there is no need for either showing off or competition. We are very small and tiny, there is nothing the greatest human can do or say that Allah(swt) needs. Allah(swt) accepts us as we are when we do the best we are capable of to please Him.

Forget about this concept of competition. All that is ever expected is to do what you are capable of. You will have friends that will be better at memorising and you will have friends that are not as gifted as you. Yet, you are all equal when you each do the best you can.

When you are memorising for the purpose of pleasing Allah(swt) and for no other reason, the views of your friends are of no importance.

From what you have said, I am under the impression you may be placing too much value on the approval of your friends.

lolwatever
11-23-2006, 08:33 AM
salamz bro, but ddint abu bakr n umar n companions use 2 compete 2do more good than the other, its like a form of positive re-inforcement kinda? plus its a form of motivation.

i guess placing too much value of approval of friends could very well be showing off allahu alam.. but he may be asking how to draw the line between placing too much value and at same time competing int he context of teh verse he/she mentioned?

tc salams

Woodrow
11-23-2006, 08:43 AM
Competition can be good. That is why I began with saying it is a paradox. The key is why are we competing. If we are competing for the pupose of "beating" the other person, we may be on the wrong track. If we are competing to strength our Imam and show our love for Allah(swt) that is the right competition.

Now to know the difference between true healthy competition and "Showing off" we need to exam our reasons for competing. The desire to out do the other person for the sake of beating that person is showing off. The desire to love Allah(swt) more than anyone else and only for that reason, is healthy competition.

Thank you for pointing that out. Made me see how confusing my post was.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
lolwatever
11-23-2006, 08:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Competition can be good. That is why I began with saying it is a paradox. The key is why are we competing. If we are competing for the pupose of "beating" the other person, we may be on the wrong track. If we are competing to strength our Imam and show our love for Allah(swt) that is the right competition.

Now to know the difference between true healthy competition and "Showing off" we need to exam our reasons for competing. The desire to out do the other person for the sake of beating that person is showing off. The desire to love Allah(swt) more than anyone else and only for that reason, is healthy competition.

Thank you for pointing that out. Made me see how confusing my post was.

:haha: nah unc ur post wasn't confusing at all :D

i agree:D

salamz

AnonymousPoster
11-23-2006, 08:48 AM
jazakum allah khayr 4 advise :)

Malaikah
11-23-2006, 09:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Tester
so when i feel like giving it a msis today i think 'oh hangon but tomorrow if my friedns test me they'll find out i'm falling behind', so that motivates me to learn more.

I got this very freaky feeling it might be considered showing off? How do we distinguish between showing off n competing for sake of Allah?
:sl:

Ok this is a confusing mess lol.

First I just wanted to point out that this could be one of shaytans tricks; he wants you to think that you have bad intentions and that you are not doing for the the sake of Allah swt, he wants to scare so that you abandon doing the good deed altogether for fear of showing off.

It should be noted that the Shaytaan is keen to make the Muslim fall into one of two things: either to make him do a good deed in order to show off and for the sake of his reputation, and not sincerely for the sake of Allaah, or to make him refrain from doing the good deed altogether.

The Muslim who is sincere in his intention will not pay any attention to the whispers that the Shaytaan tries to impart to him concerning his action, or his suggestion that it is not for the sake of Allaah. He will not pay attention to the whispers of the Shaytaan suggesting that he should refrain from doing the good deed for fear of showing off. The sincere heart is equally at ease both when doing good deeds in secret and when doing good deeds openly.
Source

So whatever you do, do not stop learning the Quran for fear of showing off, because this is what the devil is trying to trick you in to doing.

Also, showing off isnt only when you do something, its always when you dont something... so if you dont memorise a lot because of fear that you might be showing off, that is it self showing off:-\ (confusing or what lol).

Also, in your case, it sounds more like your worried about missing deadline and not so much about showing off? :? If you really wanted to show off wouldnt you be rushing to learn more and more so you can look good?

Well I dont really think I can contribute more than that.

All the best! Whatever you do, dont give up, keep at it and keep trying to purify your intentions, but just dont give up!!

AnonymousPoster
11-23-2006, 09:21 AM
jazakilah khayr sis:), great advise m.a.
i guess may allah keep my intentions straight ameen.
:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.