/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Malay African?

syilla
11-24-2006, 05:20 AM
:sl:

any malay african here?

or anybody know a malay african?

i have a cousin sister whom married a malay african. She lives in africa for a while...and now she is back here in malaysia together with her family.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Asyur an-Nagi
11-24-2006, 08:35 AM
nope. is there really any?

syilla
11-24-2006, 09:06 AM
^^^yup there are... :) maybe i try to find out for you

north_malaysian
11-24-2006, 09:14 AM
Do you mean, the Cape Malay (Malays living in South Africa)? or Malay mixed with African?

If you're asking about Malay mix African...

One of the last season Akademi Fantasia contestant (I've forgotten her name) is a mix of Malay-AfroAmerican.

And I know an Ethiopian lecturer who is married to a Malay woman.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syilla
11-24-2006, 09:16 AM
whichever..hehe

can you please post some of the info about them....

i know that in hawaii too there are malays? am i right about this? or am i wrong?...:?

north_malaysian
11-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Malays in Africa:

South Africa - 253,000
Madagascar - 22,000
Comoros - 900
Mayotte - 100

source: http://www.joshuaproject.net

Plus there are 6,000 students in Egypt, hundreds more in Tunisia, Sudan and Morocco.

Plus, we have expatriates living in Algeria, Ghana, Guinea, Libya, Namibia, Nigeria, Senegal, South Korea and Zimbabwe.

north_malaysian
11-24-2006, 09:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
whichever..hehe

can you please post some of the info about them....

i know that in hawaii too there are malays? am i right about this? or am i wrong?...:?
Ethnic Groups from Hawaii and Easter ISlands in the Pacific to Madagascar in Africa belongs to a bigger ethnic groups called as "Malayo-Polynesia".

But the only people calling themselves as Malays are indigenous people of Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Brunei, Singapore, Southern Thailand and Taiwan.

Muslim Knight
11-24-2006, 09:25 AM
Does African Malays refer themselves as Malays or Africans? How do they keep up with changes in language?

north_malaysian
11-24-2006, 09:35 AM
The Cape Malays speak in Afrikaans. And the language itself, have some Malay words.

After the end of apartheid, MAlaysia has diplomatic relationship with South Africa and starting to make the Cape Malays be proud to be Malays, in fact some Cape Malays were brought back to Malaysia for educational purpose.

Upon hearing that there is a Malay community in South africa, some Malay bussinessmen migrated to Cape town.

I've heard that some of the Cape Malays became lapsed Muslims, and even being Christians. But after they have the opportunity to re-attach with brethren of their ancestors in Malaysia and Indonesia, many started to revert back to Islam. But, I dont know if they start speaking in Malay back.

umm aymin
11-24-2006, 11:30 AM
assalaamu alaykum

My in laws are south african Cape malay! The community is very strong in Cape Town but spread through out South Africa. They have a body called the Muslim Judicial Council that have strong Islamic links in the communities. They have madrassas, Islamic schools as well as hifdh madrassas across Cape Town. My zawj's friend co-ordinates the hifdh project, he is Cape Malay and studied at Al-Azhar in Cairo. There are many inter marriages : Malay-Indian, Malay- Coloured (African/European), Malay-indigeneuos African (Zulu, Tswana, etc). As for moving away from Islamic values, i think that this happens to most people who move away from a living community of Muslims. However, from my perception as a South African Muslim, there are strong Islamic values among the South Africa Malay communities. Allahu Aalim.

Mawaddah
11-24-2006, 03:04 PM
Do you mean African as in Black?

Well my paternal Grandmother is Black :D
But my paternal Grandfather is White

So my Dad is a mix
And then My mum is Malay

Does that make me Malay-Black? :giggling:

Even if it doesnt.....I like to call myself a Malay Black anyway, I do it all the time :p Even though I look pure Malay :-\

There was this lady in my kampung back in Melaka, she married a Bahamian so her Child is Malay-Black.....he looks pure Bahamian :giggling:

I met this lady from South Africa who came to the Bahamas, she said that her grandmother was Malay but she couldn't speak Malay or anything like that, the only thing 'Malay' left about her was that she wore the telekung when she made Salaat....

syilla
11-25-2006, 12:23 AM
^^^hehe....not really

the african malay usually is not black....they have fairer skin :p

umm aymin
11-25-2006, 05:07 PM
assalaamu alaykum

yes, the african malay is usually lighter in skin colour. yes, you also right about the clothing, it is not traditionally malayan here in saouth africa. even the language is widely spoken. i guess we don't really think of the malaysians in south africa in traditionally malaysian terms??

syilla
11-25-2006, 05:22 PM
^^^actually malays not originate from malaysia....i think hehehe...maybe nm can help me with this

Skillganon
11-25-2006, 05:27 PM
You Malay's are evrywhere. Imagine if the Malay's took over the world?

AAHHHHHHHHH!

chacha_jalebi
11-25-2006, 06:44 PM
is malay the same as malayam?

syilla
11-26-2006, 09:44 AM
what is malayam? where they live?

Younus
11-26-2006, 09:49 AM
:sl:

What does Malay African mean ? An African living in Malaysia or a Malaysian living in Africa ?
Do they have any nationality or are they simply known as Malay Africans ?

:w:

syilla
11-26-2006, 10:13 AM
not a malaysian living in Africa...and not even Malay African ...

it just malay etnic living in Africa (but they are not a malaysian)

Younus
11-26-2006, 10:15 AM
Then do they have any specific nationality ? Or are they simply known as Malay Africans ?

syilla
11-26-2006, 10:21 AM
Generically, the name "Malay" is used to describe all the numerous related groups inhabiting the Malay Archipelago, and which are not of older aboriginal stock. These include the Aceh, Minangkabaus, Bataks and Mandailings who live in Sumatra ; Java and Sunda in Java ; Banjars, Ibans, Kadazans and Melanaus in Borneo ; Bugis and Torajas in Sulawesi ; the various dominant ethnic groups in the Philippines such as the Tagalogs, Ilocanos and Igorot of Luzon island, the Bisaya of the central Philippines, the Maguindanao, Tausug and Bajau of Mindanao and the Sulu Archipelago ; and the people of East Timor (again, excluding those of older Papuan stock).

Specifically, this name is also proper to the subgroup which is native to the eastern part of Sumatra but migrated to the Malay Peninsula and the Riau Archipelago over the past thousand years or so. Sometimes, but very rarely, this subgroup is called "Riau Malays" to distinguish it as a specific group.

The term Melayu (Malay Person in Malay Language), in the Federal Constitution of Malaysia, refers to a person who practices Islam and Malay Cultures, speaks Malay Language, and whose ancestors are Malays.

Other groups classified as Malays which live outside what is called the Malay archipelago include the Cham who live in Cambodia and Vietnam and the Utsuls who live on the island of Hainan. Descendants of the Malays could be found today in Sri Lanka, South Africa (the "Cape Malays"), Australia and Madagascar. In the latter, they are known as the Merina and constitute one of the dominant ethnic groups in that country.

Situated in the north-eastern coast of South America, the small Caribbean nation of Surinam also harbours a large Malay population, descendants of fairly recent ethnic Javanese immigrant workers.
Malays (Dutch, Maleiërs, ultimately from Malay: Melayu) are a diverse group of Austronesian peoples inhabiting the Malay archipelago and Malay peninsula in Southeast Asia.

They constitute the dominant ethnic group in Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei, the Philippines, the Pattani region of Thailand and East Timor, which together with Singapore make up what is called the Malay archipelago. Outside this area, Malay people inhabit Palau, Guam and the Northern Marianas, most of Madagascar, and the Cham areas of Cambodia, Vietnam, and Hainan Island (the remnants of the Champa kingdom which covered central and southern Vietnam).

In Singapore, Malays comprise a minority, as much of its current population is composed of recent Chinese and South Asian immigrants and their descendants. Also, while not considered a part of the Malay archipelago, the southernmost part of Thailand — the Pattani region — is also primarily inhabited by Malays who are the indigenous group of what is called southern Thailand. These are the descendants of migrations from the neighbouring Malay archipelago which later founded the Pattani kingdom, which replaces the Langkasuka kingdom. Pattani came into the Thai sphere of influence through the Anglo-Siamese Treaty of 1909 whereby Pattani was retained by Thailand, then Siam, and the British retained control of Kelantan, Terengganu, Kedah and Perlis.

Malays are linguistically related to the Polynesian and Micronesian groups of the mid-Pacific, as members of the Austronesian family of languages. Evidence also suggests that Polynesians and Micronesians may be descended - at least in part - from seafaring ancestors that originated in and around the Malay racial stock stronghold along with Melanesians. Malay peoples have black hair and their skin color ranges from light tan to dark brown complexions.
from wikipedia

syilla
11-26-2006, 10:26 AM
their nationality is Africa...not malaysia. but they usually know that their ancestors are malay.

umm aymin
11-26-2006, 07:03 PM
assalaamu alaykum, yes, the nationality is african - for instance south african, with ancestors in malaysia, or java etc. so they will be known as south african

north_malaysian
11-28-2006, 01:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
Do you mean African as in Black?

Well my paternal Grandmother is Black :D
But my paternal Grandfather is White

So my Dad is a mix
And then My mum is Malay

Does that make me Malay-Black? :giggling:
Afro-Malay? :)

north_malaysian
11-28-2006, 01:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
^^^actually malays not originate from malaysia....i think hehehe...maybe nm can help me with this
It's hard to explain this... because all "Malays" in Malaysia are actually mixed people...

north_malaysian
11-28-2006, 01:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
You Malay's are evrywhere. Imagine if the Malay's took over the world?

AAHHHHHHHHH!
I can't imagine... if Malays took over the world, everyone will have to eat rice i think.:playing:

north_malaysian
11-28-2006, 01:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
is malay the same as malayam?
Are you referring to Malayali (Malayalam language speakers in Kerala)?

Malayalis and Malays are two different ethnic groups. But there are hundreds of thousands of Malayalis in Malaysia. Our former Prime Minister, Tun Dr. Mahathir has Malayali ancestry.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.