/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ethiopia Prepares for WAR in Somalia!

Dahir
11-24-2006, 05:32 AM
Link

The Ethiopian prime minister has said that his country has completed preparations for war with neighbouring Somalia's powerful Islamic courts.

Meles Zenawi told parliament on Thursday that the Islamic courts, who control much of southern and central Somalia, are a "clear and present danger".

"We are not saying that we will declare war against Somalia. It is the jihadists in the UIC [Union of Islamic Courts] who have repeatedly declared war on Ethiopia," he said.

The Islamic courts responded by saying they were ready to defend themselves from "reckless and war-thirsty" Ethiopia.

"To resist this clear and present danger, the policy of this government is first to try to solve the problem through negotiation and dialogue," Meles said. "So far, our attempts have not been successful."

"When any country faces that type of danger it has the full right to defend itself against this threat. To exercise this right we have been preparing for this kind of response, because it is our responsibility."

Ethiopian Plans

He gave no details on what the plans might be, but Ethiopia has been accused of sending troops into Somalia and massing more on the border. The Islamic courts has said it will fight Ethiopian soldiers in Somalia. Addis Ababa says that only military advisers are working in the country.

In Mogadishu, Islamic courts officials met to discuss their response to the comments.

"If Ethiopia is ready for war, we are very ready for the defence of our country," Abdurahim Ali Muddey, Islamic courts spokesman, said.

"We are not a threat to Ethiopia, but the presence of its troops in our homeland is a serious security risk to Somalia as well as Ethiopia," he told AFP news agency.

The Islamic courts has said that its fighters carried out attacks on Ethiopian military targets around Baidoa, the seat of the largely powerless interim government, on Sunday and Wednesday.

US Invitation

Muddey also said that the United States had been invited to send a delegation to Mogadishu "to see what is happening in Somalia" and hear their objections allowing peacekeepers into the country.

Ethiopian opposition politicians refused to accept a motion endorsing the prime minister's statements, saying it was tantamount to a declaration of war.

"This motion needs to be amended and negotiated with the parties' representatives in the parliament," Beyene Petros, an opposition MP, told AFP news agency.

Peace talks aimed at averting a war collapsed earlier this month with the Islamists demanding the withdrawal of Ethiopian troops as a pre-condition to meeting delegates from the interim government.
This can either be really good or really bad, or both, with benefits possibly...:confused:

The bad draw is that if Ethiopia does invade, alongside the interm government, Somalia might become a strong tool of secular propagandists.

The good draw is that the Courts will win a possible war, and spread the message of Islam and possibly join with Northern Tanzania, Eastern Kenya and Ethiopia, Djibouti, Southeast Uganda, and parts of Eritrea to form an East African Muslim Coalition. The sky is the limit!

Lets see what happens in the next few months...:-\

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Dawud_uk
11-24-2006, 07:36 AM
assalaamu alaykum,

also funny how the media can play this one?

they are in a muslim land, supporting a tiny minority government of former warlords who control less land my home city where as the islamic courts control most of the south now.

but despite all this they play it like the etheopeans are the ones who are the being attacked and not the aggressors!

remember also that the borders in this area were drawn up by the colonial powers and bare no resemblence to the truth on the ground, the somali people were badly done to and many of them found themselves living on the round side of the somali border and its about time some justice was gained there but not sure if this is the right time for it.

think the somali courts should settle their own country first, once it is settled under islamic law they can look at helping to settle injustices elsewhere but just having a state under true islamic rule would be a massive step forward.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

north_malaysian
11-24-2006, 07:48 AM
WAR means BAD...:thumbs_do

Dawud_uk
11-24-2006, 07:55 AM
check the ahaddith on wahan...

jihad is part of our deen, yes we need a just cause for it and it has to be within the shariah limits but still it is there and Allah will not lift the humiliation of this ummah until we return to our deen. ALL OF OUR DEEN.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AHMED_GUREY
11-24-2006, 12:52 PM
OLF kills 35 ethiopian soldiers

Three Army officers fired

Staff Writer Ethiotribune November 16, 2006 Finfinne- the government-owned Ethiopian Television last night reported that three generals of the Ethiopian Army, Major General Alemshet Degife (Oromo), Brigadiers Kumera (Oromo) and Asaminew Tsige (Amhara), are suspended from their duties. Although the announcement was made by the Defense Council, at the Ministry of Defense, the instruction is said to come right from the Prime Minister himself. Major General Alemshet has been the Chief of the Air force.

He was assigned this force after a similar purge in 2001 following the division within the ruling Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF), the dominant party within the rump EPRDF. After the defection of other senior military commanders, the Ethiopian Prime Minister is facing strong upheaval from the armed force. Analysts believe that after the defection and dismissal of so many senior officers, maintaining control over the army will be highly problematic. Before coming to power in 1991, the TPLF manufactured PDOs to give a more multinational image. Lately this ruse is falling apart and the EPRDF, the ruling coalition, is increasingly being reduced to its Tigrean core with the defection, resignation, arrest and disappearance of several Oromo and Amhara dignitaries.

The Oromo and the Amhara make up close to 65% of the Ethiopian army. Although the Tigrean component is disproportionately represented at the high brass, the fighting force is mainly Oromo and Amhara. The current rounds of purges are likely to intensify rather than dampen tension within the armed forces.

An aura of suspicion has already building since the defection of Brigadier General Kamal Galchu, one of the army’s most decorated soldiers. General Galchu was accompanied by Colonel Abebe Garesu along with over 600 soldiers and officers of different ranks. Even though the BBC had reported only 150 and Ethiotribune has been able to confirm through its sources that the actual number was 600. Later they were joined by Brigadier General Hailu Ayana and Colonel Gammachu Ayana.

What is apparent from the purges and defections, both civilian and military, is that people think the EPRDF ship is sinking and want to jump before it runs aground. This is reminiscent and by far worse than the last days of the Dergue regime.

With continuing anti-government protests throughout Oromia, tension in the capital and many northern regions, armed confrontation in Ogaden, the standoff with Somalia, and the tension on the border with Eritrea, grave danger hovers over the future of the Ethiopian regime.

source

another source

Ethiopian Soldiers surrender in Babili

Nov 20, 2006 Reports reaching Ogaden Online service desk confirm the surrender of about fifty members of the Ethiopian military stationed in the town of Babili. The fifty soldiers are reported to have surrendered to the Ogaden National Liberation Front (ONLF) fighters who waged a surprise attack on the Ethiopian military garrison in Babili.

In related news, specially trained ONLF commandos carried out an operation in the city of Awaare. It is confirmed that this operation netted ten men one of whom is the chairman of the city of Awaare.

Reports from elsewhere in Ogaden indicate an increase in the number of operations where ONLF forces attack the Ethiopian military and its affiliated militias within their main garrisons. In one such incident in the town of Qoreyga, ONLF forces are reported to have attacked and killed fourteen members of the Ethiopian military. It is not known whether there were casualties on the ONLF side.

Recent ONLF operations have been felt throughout Ogaden. The speed, accuracy and the boldness of these operations, since they take place within the Ethiopian military garrisons, is said to have demoralized many members of the Ethiopian military.

source

army officer that surrendered

i find it funny how a prime minister who has an army consisting of multiple ethnicies who are pissed off and who don't want be ruled by him is going to maintain a long war with a group (ICU) that has nothing to lose only more to gain

i find it funny how a prime minister thinks he's going to have any success on the longrun in a foreign country when he can't even fully controll the Gambella region aswell as the Oromo and Ogaden regions

many ethiopian soldiers escape through the Somali Bosaso port to Yemen

Latest Ethiopian Military Defections

Reports from Fiiq confirm the defection of thirty-four members of the Ethiopian military stationed in and around Fiiq. The latest defections took place on September 1st, 2006.

Ogaden Online and Radio Xoriyo reporters in Nogob province indicate that the defecting members escaped with all their military gear some of which were hand-held anti-tank weapons.

The latest defection follows that of over thirty soldiers who deserted their positions at the end of August. Latest reports indicate that Ogaden National Liberation Front (ONLF) army welcomed the new defections. Many of the defecting soldiers are now reported to be with ONLF.

Reliable sources that requested anonymity said that the latest defections have created a state of apprehension within the Ethiopian military stationed in Fiiq. The same sources add that it is possible the head of the Ethiopian military in Fiiq may himself be contemplating defection but he is said to be unsure how ONLF will treat him.

In anther development, more than 20 generals have defected reliable source told EMF today. According to the sources the missing generals might have been on their way to somalia.

-----------------------------------------------

Meles is the same as the last Somali and Ethiopian Presidents

Siyaad and Mengistu both had big armies but from the inside they were crumbling and eventually they were toppled

Meles is only speeding this process that's why he's firing all these army officers he's panicking

he thinks he can use Somalia as a tool to stay longer in power that's what Mengistu and Siyaad thought in 91'

when he still had hair;D

Meles Zenaawi the Ungratefull child of Somalia

If Somali government officials in the 1970's and early 80's were told that soon after the new millennium, Ethiopia would be seeking to convince the international community that it's military operations in Somalia were justified, that would come as no surprise. If you then mentioned that Melez Zenaawi would be the one leading this Ethiopian charge the reaction would probably have been one of disbelief.

After all, Melez Zenaawi and other leaders of the Tigray Peoples Liberation Front (TPLF) the ruling core of the Ethiopian Peoples Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF) enjoyed unprecedented hospitality by the Mogadishu government. It is an open secret that during his struggle to remove Marxist Dictator Mengistu Haile Mariam, Zenaawi travelled with a Diplomatic Somali passport. Everywhere he went he was greeted with open arms by Somali government officials. To the Somalis, he was an adopted son of sorts. Like their brethren in Ogaden, Zenaawi was struggling for self-determination (at least that is what he said).

But those familiar with Zenaawi during his stay in Mogadishu recall his intense jealousy for assistance Somalia gave the Eritrean Peoples Liberation Front (EPLF). One former Somali official in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs told Ogaden Online "He was always telling us we should give him what we gave the Eritreans, every time he compared his situation with that of the Eritreans and tried to convince us he had a better chance to succeed against Mengistu than the EPLF"

But despite his envy of the EPLF Zenawi was clearly in no position to complain. Not only was he given a Somali diplomatic passport, but his TPLF was given an office and an expense account all paid for by Somali tax payers.

Zenaawi was also reportedly eager to gain favor among Arab nations, something he felt Somalia was clearly in a good position to get him. Unlike the Eritreans, the TPLF had limited contacts with the Arab world and desperately sought introduction to Arab diplomats in Mogadishu at every opportunity.

On Ogaden, Zenaawi is reported on more than one occasion to have strongly expressed that "Ethiopia is an Empire State artificially patched together" going on to say that all that would change once the oppressed overthrew mengistu.

Zenaawi did not spend all his time lobbying in Mogadishu however, he is reported to have enjoyed frequenting hotel restaurants and playing pool with Somali intelligence officers from the National Security Service (NSS).

While he was also a frequent visitor of the beaches along Mogadishu, he reportedly never went in the water because he could not swim.

Even when his hairline was just beginning to recede, he is reported to have been mocked by other TPLF comrades as having a striking resemblance to Lenin, something he was very proud of.

Following the cease fire agreement between Somali president Siad Barre and Ethiopian leader Mengistu Haile Mariam in 1988 requiring each nation to stop supporting the others armed opponents, Zenaawi was still allowed to keep his Somali diplomatic passport and even secretly visited Mogadishu on more than one occasion from Saudi Arabia, a location where the Somali government had arranged for him and other TPLF leaders to stay.

source

Somalia and Ethiopia will be dragged back another 15 centuries

:thumbs_do

Goku
11-24-2006, 12:59 PM
This is bad, innocent civilians are probably going to get caught up in it. The warlords caused chaos in Somalia, and they were backed by the US. When the Islamic courts overthrew them and brought peace to Somalia, Ethiopia decides to cause trouble, it sends troops into Somalia to destabalise the region, all the Islamic courts wanted was for Ethiopia to withdraw its troops. Its clear that Ethiopia is the threat, not the Islamic courts. If war does break out, pray that the Islamic courts win so that they can bring peace once again and drive off the agressors, Insha'Allah.

War IS bad.

KAding
11-24-2006, 02:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir
<snip>
The good draw is that the Courts will win a possible war, and spread the message of Islam and possibly join with Northern Tanzania, Eastern Kenya and Ethiopia, Djibouti, Southeast Uganda, and parts of Eritrea to form an East African Muslim Coalition. The sky is the limit!
:muddlehea Hoorah! More possibilities for conflict and ethnic and religious strive in Africa! Just what the continent needs! :rant:

No wonder Ethiopia wants to squash it before the 'message of Islam' demands their country.

Umar001
11-24-2006, 02:58 PM
What I don't seem to understand is, where are all the Muslims in that area, surely there are alot of Muslims in Ethiopia, although it is I think a Chrstians country, what about the Muslims in Eritrea, I don't know, it seems like those Muslims don't seem to think that the 'Islamic Courts' are actually fighting Jihad as such, anyhow, it will be interesting to see what happens, I mean I so can't wait to see what the Eritrean Country does, since becoming Muslim it has astounded me how the Eritrean Muslim People seem to be silent alot of the time :(

KAding
11-24-2006, 03:03 PM
I guess most people just don't want war, but rather have stability and peace. I noticed in this forum it is mostly those who live comfortably in a stable and prosperous country that seem to support those who create conflict and instability in much of the rest of the world?

Could be I'm mistaken though. I just sometimes have the impression 'revolution' is more valued than 'stability' in the Muslim mindset. Maybe that is why there are so many private militias in Muslim countries and so much economic backwardness? Or maybe it's the other way around. I don't know.

Bittersteel
11-24-2006, 03:59 PM
the Islamic Courts Union have been pretty good.they fought pirates,punished when captured them,and they disciplined the areas they controlled(learned it from BBC).
I hope nothing happens.

YusufNoor
11-24-2006, 04:19 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Goku
This is bad, innocent civilians are probably going to get caught up in it. The warlords caused chaos in Somalia, and they were backed by the US. When the Islamic courts overthrew them and brought peace to Somalia, Ethiopia decides to cause trouble, it sends troops into Somalia to destabalise the region, all the Islamic courts wanted was for Ethiopia to withdraw its troops. Its clear that Ethiopia is the threat, not the Islamic courts. If war does break out, pray that the Islamic courts win so that they can bring peace once again and drive off the agressors, Insha'Allah.

War IS bad.
sooo, as a citizen of the US, what can a person do to try to convince the govt, that:

a) the Islamic Courts are a GOOD thing;
b) it's what the people of Somalia want/need; or
c) if you're not gonna help, STAY OUT OF IT???

:w:

Bittersteel
11-24-2006, 06:22 PM
I just sometimes have the impression 'revolution' is more valued than 'stability' in the Muslim mindset.
are you saying that this happens only in Muslim mindsets?
I have seen American and Europeans boys talking how Pakistan and Afghanistan and Iran should be bombed so that the west can insert the seed of democracy in the region.

I think Ethiopia is making things up....playing by the rules of politics of fear.

Dahir
11-24-2006, 08:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
I guess most people just don't want war, but rather have stability and peace. I noticed in this forum it is mostly those who live comfortably in a stable and prosperous country that seem to support those who create conflict and instability in much of the rest of the world?

Could be I'm mistaken though. I just sometimes have the impression 'revolution' is more valued than 'stability' in the Muslim mindset. Maybe that is why there are so many private militias in Muslim countries and so much economic backwardness? Or maybe it's the other way around. I don't know.
I support the defense of the 'Courts', not war. Its Ethiopia that is preparing for war and meddling in Somali politics.

Ethiopia has no business in Somali affairs, and they are only after themselves. Both sides of the conflict in Somalia, both the interim government and the Islamic courts vow to bring peace and stability, and both have met their commitments thus far.

But its up to the average person, Somali or not, Muslim or not, to pick which side they believe is best for Somalia or even their own agenda. I support a pan-Islamic agenda, so that's what I see best-fit for Somalia, capeesh!

You might favor a secular agenda, and that's just fine.

But since the Islamic courts has brought stability to every region it has dabbled in, and has recruited soldiers from onpopular and rival tribes and factions (rare in Somalia) - it tells me the courts are a suited pair for Somalia in every way possible.

Hijrah
11-25-2006, 03:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
check the ahaddith on wahan...

jihad is part of our deen, yes we need a just cause for it and it has to be within the shariah limits but still it is there and Allah will not lift the humiliation of this ummah until we return to our deen. ALL OF OUR DEEN.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah
Insha'ALLAH

Ahmed
11-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Ethiopia will loss this time, watch the people of somalia are united and determine to build their country and protect their sovereignty.

Peace!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahmed
11-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Financially aid from somalia is no problem if war happen !!!!!!!!!!

the somalian community Insha'ALLAH will donate money all around the world.

Somalia is differnt now, Ethiopia is not soo lucky this time, but i believe there will be no war for nowwwwww

Peaceeeeee

Ahmed
11-30-2006, 04:38 PM

The greater somalia

lets get our land back from the ethiopian

Peaceeee

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.