/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Deadly day in Iraq

KAding
11-24-2006, 02:56 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6177356.stm

Devastating blasts hit Sadr City
A wave of car bombs and mortars in Baghdad's Sadr City district has left at least 144 people dead and more than 200 injured, Iraq police have said.

It was the most devastating series of attacks in Iraq's capital in a single day since the US-led invasion in 2003.

The bombings in Sadr City were followed by mortar attacks on Sunni areas.

The Iraqi authorities have put Baghdad under curfew and closed the airport, and Iraqi PM Nouri Maliki went on TV to appeal for restraint amid the violence.

"We denounce sectarian practices that aim to destroy the unity of the nation," Mr Maliki said.

Panic

Leaders of Iraq's Shia, Sunni and Kurdish communities also appealed for calm, while Iraq's most prominent Shia cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, "urged people not to react illegally and maintain self-restraint and calm," one of his officials said.

There were pools of blood on the street and children dead on the ground
Kareem al-Rubaie
News photographer
In Washington, a White House spokeswoman said they condemned "such acts of senseless violence that are clearly aimed at undermining the Iraqi people's hopes for a peaceful and stable Iraq."

UK Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett also condemned the "barbaric" attacks, saying that such actions "show how little the terrorists have to offer the Iraqi people and the importance of building national reconciliation".

The blasts brought panic to the streets of Sadr City, a densely populated, largely Shia neighbourhood, as distraught residents searched for family and friends.

Several car bombs, at least three of them believed to be suicide attacks, exploded minutes apart.

Among the targets were a busy square, a food market and a street where people catch buses.

"I was out shopping. As the bombs went off, everyone started running and shouting," news photographer Kareem al-Rubaie told Reuters new agency.

"I saw a car from a wedding party, covered in ribbons and flowers. It was burning. There were pools of blood on the street and children dead on the ground."

People tried to pull bodies out of the mangled wreckage of cars and minibuses and put out fires.

Several mortar rounds were also fired into hit Sadr City, police said.

Curses

The number of casualties put major pressure on transport and hospitals.

BLOODIEST DAYS OF VIOLENCE
23 Nov 2006 - 144 dead
Wave of car bomb and mortar blasts strike Sadr City in Baghdad
7 April 2006 - 85 dead
Triple suicide bombing at Shia Buratha mosque in Baghdad
5 Jan 2006 - 110 dead
Suicide bombers hit Karbala shrine and police recruiting station in Ramadi
14 Sept 2005 - 182 dead
Suicide car bomber targets Baghdad labourers in worst of a series of bombs
28 Feb 2005 - 114 dead
Suicide car bomb hits government jobseekers in Hilla
2 March 2004 - 140 dead
Suicide bombers attack Shia festival-goers in Karbala and Baghdad
1 Feb 2004 - 105 dead
Twin attacks on Kurdish parties' offices in Irbil

The injured filled Sadr City's hospitals, with dozens lying bleeding in the corridors.

Angry residents and armed Shia militiamen came out onto the streets, shouting curses at Sunni Muslims, the Associated Press news agency reports.

The Iraqi health minister, Ali al-Shammari, accused Sunnis and loyalists of the former ruling Baath party of being behind the attacks.

"They were killed in cold blood by Sunni extremists and Baathist criminal remnants," he told the BBC Arabic Service.

The bombs exploded shortly after dozens of gunmen had attacked the health ministry in Baghdad, clashing with Iraqi guards and soldiers before they were beaten off.

Brazen attacks

Sadr City is largely controlled by the Mehdi Army, the best-known of the Shia Iraqi militias, which has been accused of carrying out many sectarian attacks.

Shortly after the blasts, a dozen mortars hit the Adhamiya district, a predominantly Sunni area, injuring 10 people, the interior ministry said.

The Iraqi authorities put Baghdad's seven million residents under curfew on Thursday evening, saying all people and vehicles must stay off the streets until further notice.

The Iraqi authorities have also closed Basra's air and sea ports in the south, as well as the international airport in Baghdad.

The daily attacks in Baghdad are now more brazen and more sectarian, says BBC Middle East analyst Roger Hardy.

On Wednesday, the United Nations said violent deaths among civilians hit a record high in October, with more than 3,700 people losing their lives - the majority in sectarian attacks.
Amazing. Imagine the hate for such a thing to happen, for one side to deliberately target markets and bus stops. I don't think many civil wars in this world have seen such a brutal and indiscriminate targeting of civilians.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ninth_Scribe
11-24-2006, 06:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Amazing. Imagine the hate for such a thing to happen, for one side to deliberately target markets and bus stops. I don't think many civil wars in this world have seen such a brutal and indiscriminate targeting of civilians.
The ISI (Islamic State of Iraq) claimed responsibility for the attack. It's a pity these folks (Sunnis and Shia) don't watch TV shows like Numb3rs (episode 2:12 "The O.G.") because they might be able to figure out what the real deal is... but what could a TV show teach them about strategic warfare? Sarcastic sneer.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...K/theocshow-20

Well, I've put my neck on the chopping block for saying that, as it is... it would blow chunks if it were all for nothing, but it's as close to the bull's eye I can get without landing my butt in real trouble.

I'll leave you all to it ~~~~

Ninth Scribe

Ninth_Scribe
11-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Music is Haram, but not the words of the song, so here's one for the road.

Civil War by Guns & Roses

----------------------------------

Intro:

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Some men you just can't reach...
So, you get what we had here last week,
which is the way he wants it!
Well, he gets it!
N' I don't like it any more than you men."

End Intro.

Look at your young men fighting
Look at your women crying
Look at your young men dying
The way they've always done before

Look at the hate we're breeding
Look at the fear we're feeding
Look at the lives we're leading
The way we've always done before

My hands are tied
The billions shift from side to side
And the wars go on with brainwashed pride
For the love of God and our human rights

And all these things are swept aside
By bloody hands time can't deny
And are washed away by your genocide
And history hides the lies of our civil wars

D'you wear a black armband
When they shot the man
Who said "Peace could last forever"
And in my first memories
They shot Kennedy
I went numb when I learned to see
So I never fell for Vietnam
We got the wall of D.C. to remind us all
That you can't trust freedom
When it's not in your hands
When everybody's fightin'
For their promised land

And I don't need your civil war
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor
Your power hungry sellin' soldiers
In a human grocery store
Ain't that fresh
I don't need your civil war

Look at the shoes your filling
Look at the blood we're spilling
Look at the world we're killing
The way we've always done before

Look in the doubt we've wallowed
Look at the leaders we've followed
Look at the lies we've swallowed
And I don't want to hear no more

My hands are tied
For all I've seen has changed my mind
But still the wars go on as the years go by
With no love of God or human rights

Cause all these dreams are swept aside
By bloody hands of the hypnotized
Who carry the cross of homicide
And history bears the scars of our civil wars.

Break:

We practice selective annihilation
of mayors and government officials
For example to create a vacuum.
Then we fill that vacuum.
As popular war advances,
Peace is closer"

End Break

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor
In a human grocery store
Ain't that fresh
And I don't need your civil war
In a human grocery store
Ain't that fresh
I don't need one more war

I don't need one more war
Whaz so civil 'bout war anyway

Trumble
11-25-2006, 05:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ninth_Scribe
The ISI (Islamic State of Iraq) claimed responsibility for the attack.
If so, all those who blindly celebrated the formation of the ISI just because of what the name sounded like should take note. Just another bunch of murderers, or the same murderers re-branded; nothing to do with a 'state' or Islam.

According the the BBC mosques have been burned and 30 Sunnis killed in Shi'a revenge attacks.

Terrible .

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ninth_Scribe
11-25-2006, 03:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
If so, all those who blindly celebrated the formation of the ISI just because of what the name sounded like should take note. Just another bunch of murderers, or the same murderers re-branded; nothing to do with a 'state' or Islam.

According the the BBC mosques have been burned and 30 Sunnis killed in Shi'a revenge attacks.

Terrible .
What makes me sick to my stomache is that, back in January 2006, I watched a TV show (Numb3rs episode 2:12 "The O.G.") that incorporated the exact same strategy being used in Iraq at this very moment. The "first shooter" targeted the Askyara Mosque... to "maximize retaliatory strikes" and it worked like a charm. They're ALL falling for it... even though they haven't any idea who the first shooter is, or what their motives are. They won't DO THE MATH!!!

As for the 'tit-for-tat' issue, and the inevitable "who started it" routine that I can get from any pair of fighting five-year-olds ~ the only weapon that can work is Shame. As with the TV show (described above), a level of humility can take hold, when one discovers that the people they thought were an enemy, turned out to be their best friends. But the leaders of both sides are royalty (in certain ways) which means one can't humiliate them... not in public.

I need to learn Arabic... and fast! I'm a much more effective weapon than these stupid bombs ;)

Ninth Scribe

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.