/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The "Dress Modest" signs

IzakHalevas
11-24-2006, 05:37 PM
In many heavily concentrated traditional Jewish neigborhoods across the world, there are signs when you enter the area, asking people to dress modest ect. Do Muslim areas have signs like this as well, since Jews and Muslims who live in a secular society and both wish to live traditional lives face the same problems?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
M.I.A.
11-24-2006, 05:41 PM
lol well if we had signs like that where we live, we'd be on the news every night! ;D

IzakHalevas
11-24-2006, 05:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
lol well if we had signs like that where we live, we'd be on the news every night! ;D
In Turkey we have a few signs like this, because even though it is an islamic country, there are many secular people who dress half naked, so if they want to come into the neighborhood, then they should respect the residents.

You will find many in the heavily concentrated ultra orthodox areas of New York.

S_87
11-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Hi

no we dont put them signs up, well ive never seen them plus as mentioned it will be in the news all the time.

its a nice sign though!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IzakHalevas
11-24-2006, 06:01 PM
as mentioned it will be in the news all the time.
Why would it be in the news if it was put up in your neigborhood?

Les_Nubian
11-24-2006, 06:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IzakHalevas
In Turkey we have a few signs like this, because even though it is an islamic country, there are many secular people who dress half naked, so if they want to come into the neighborhood, then they should respect the residents.

You will find many in the heavily concentrated ultra orthodox areas of New York.
WAIT WAIT WAIT,

TURKEY had a sign like that? Um, the "Islamic" country that banned headscarves? WOW.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
11-24-2006, 06:08 PM
turkey hd a sign like dt?!?! wot a suprise!

nah we dnt hav it ere, hope we did.. itd b so wikid :D:D

IzakHalevas
11-24-2006, 06:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Les_Nubian
WAIT WAIT WAIT,

TURKEY had a sign like that? Um, the "Islamic" country that banned headscarves? WOW.
Turkish Jews, put up the sign. Muslims seem not to care about modesty, in Turkey or in the areas surrounding the Jewish area that I know some people in.

This sign isn't one in Turkey, usually those are in Hebrew and Turkish.

stannis
11-25-2006, 01:31 PM
What is wrong with trousers?

S_87
11-25-2006, 02:51 PM
Why would it be in the news if it was put up in your neigborhood?
'muslims controlling the way we dress'

any little thing a muslim does is in the news

amirah_87
11-25-2006, 02:59 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

That's good MashaAllah, the only place I've seen a sign like that is at the front of "one" Masjid here in London.

Tania
11-25-2006, 04:13 PM
I never saw the sign until now. Here the people are mixed, we don't have muslim neighborhood, jews neighborhood and so on. We are only people.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
11-25-2006, 05:44 PM
^^^ yeh i finks datz y.. we onli hav 1 mosque in ma twn anyway ~_~ and its a few doorz away LOL :p

IbnAbdulHakim
11-25-2006, 05:50 PM
:salamext:

lol mashaAllah its nice to see another religion tryin so hard to keep up the modesty, may Allah guide such people mashaAllah. Its beautiful but you should understand that islams whole way of life is modesty and every muslim is a sign, every muslim has that duty of telling his/her brother/sister to cover up/act modest etc.

Hope that helps dude ;)

:wasalamex

IzakHalevas
11-25-2006, 08:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by stannis
What is wrong with trousers?
They may show "curves" ect... Long Skirts are much more suitible. Remember Men must be modest to. A man in shorts and a small tight t-shirt is not modest either.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-25-2006, 08:30 PM
So much similarity, its boggling. Why cant we all be friends :( lol
Seriously...

IbnAbdulHakim
11-25-2006, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
So much similarity, its boggling. Why cant we all be friends :( lol
Seriously...

we can be, just tell them to give back our land/stop the oppression to palestinians !

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-25-2006, 08:42 PM
oh boy. i sense something coming after that bro :giggling:

Sis_ReNa
11-25-2006, 08:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Les_Nubian
WAIT WAIT WAIT,

this is not a new thing, tunisa i think that is how you spell it has banned head scarfs.
I think that unforently some muslims need reminders to cover up and be modest and i dont see nothing wrong with it. I wouldnt mind a sign up at the masjid. you forget you hijab today? cus its seems to be the them but Allah knows best.

IzakHalevas
11-26-2006, 01:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim

we can be, just tell them to give back our land/stop the oppression to palestinians !
Oh yes, the Jews lived 100% hapily in Muslim lands, without a care free worry in the world. Jews have been given 100% rights in ever Muslim country. :-\

Maybe start reading more history other than the golden age of Spain.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-26-2006, 01:59 AM
LOL! What did I say? I was right wasn't I. Ahh always my gut feeling.
Now now, let's not pick on each other. Every religion had bad seeds, we all know that >.<

IzakHalevas
11-26-2006, 02:40 AM
Here is another one that I found:

"women in immodest dress are strictly forbidden to enter our neighborhood"

IzakHalevas
11-26-2006, 02:42 AM
A few more that I found in the jewish areas:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-26-2006, 02:42 AM
Smart idea, I say :)

Tania
11-26-2006, 04:58 AM
I think i am the only one who finds this signs completely offending. We should respect the each other freedom and not force our own convictions to others. Like we are the best, you are the dumbest. Men should lower their attitude and leave the women in peace. More education of children and thats it.

IbnAbdulHakim
11-26-2006, 12:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
I think i am the only one who finds this signs completely offending. We should respect the each other freedom and not force our own convictions to others. Like we are the best, you are the dumbest. Men should lower their attitude and leave the women in peace. More education of children and thats it.
Peace,

no you should respect others wishes, if i didnt want you to sing in a certain area and you kept on singing everyone would think its very rude, infact i get extremely offended when women dress imodestly, im not even kidding.
Respect the wishes of those with shame and dress in skimpy clothes elsewhere.

Anyway how does their wishes effect you? They only want their kids to grow up with shame and not lust !

Malaikah
11-26-2006, 12:23 PM
You would be offended if someone came into your house naked wouldnt you? Well semi-naked it offensive enough for the rest of us.

It not going to harm anyone by putting some clothes.

Youre right, we do need to educate children. We need to remind them about the concept MODESTY.

On topic- cool signs! Thats something you dont see everyday.

Pk_#2
11-26-2006, 12:47 PM
ima make one of em signs LOL, stick it outta ma window :D

IzakHalevas
11-26-2006, 03:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tasmiyah_B
ima make one of em signs LOL, stick it outta ma window :D

Just repleace "Torah" at the bottom with "Quran" lol.

Remember these are not secular neigborhoods which are 50% Jewish. Orthodox Jews live in areas where they are a huge majority. In the neighborhoods I am showing you there are ver few if any non-Jews or even secular Jews!

As already explained, imagine if someone delivering the mail to your house is naked! To compare your values to theres, these people view immodest women as naked.

Tania
11-26-2006, 07:16 PM
As already explained, imagine if someone delivering the mail to your house is naked! To compare your values to theres, these people view immodest women as naked.
I think its due to my country..here we don't have naked people walking around and i will always sustain the freedom of expression. This type of signs would be highly offending to me and i would never ever enter in this area... in sign of protest off course. And we have mixed neighborhoods....none from us never felt the urge to make distinguished neighborhoods like in states.

IzakHalevas
11-26-2006, 07:30 PM
I think its due to my country..here we don't have naked people walking around and i will always sustain the freedom of expression.
It is not illegal to walk into these neighborhoods without modest clothing on, but take into account that there is a different life style from yours in these neighborhoods, and for the sake of preserving their life style they wish to ask visitors to this area which are about 100% unanimous on their designs to keep the area modest, to dress in a way suitable. You have every right to determine how people dress on your property, etc, and it is your way of thinking that determines what is appropriate, now when on samenesses property, it is only natural that you should respect their wishes.

Would you not be angered if a man and women ran around your backyard, or drive way completely naked? What if they were just on the side walk naked, and your kids were watching them? Would you report it, or would you be angered? To the people in this neighborhood, a mini-skirt, and revealing clothes is compared to nudity. Therefore, a level of respect should be given to the people who reside in the area, if you wish to do business with them in anyway. It is not against law again I repeat to walk through there in immodest attire, but I doubt people will do business with you, or hide there disgust, same way as if a nude man ran around a "secular mall".

And we have mixed neighborhoods....none from us never felt the urge to make distinguished neighborhoods like in states.
It is not like non-Jews are not welcome in these neighborhoods, it is just that traditional Jewish households average around 8-10 children and are married by their 20's. Therefore, real estate is very hard to find, and non-Jews find it uncomfortable to live in these traditional Jewish enclaves. The Jewish areas since the populations of these people double ever 15 years or so, (1985 there were 100,000 in a certain area in the USA I will not name, now there are 200,000) the area naturally becomes entirely Jewish.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Whether your wearing a half skirt and not completely uncovered isnt the point. It still causes thoughts in peoples mind. Just cause they dont say it doesnt mean it doesnt happen >.< Thats the point here really. Lower your gaze! lol

Grace Seeker
11-28-2006, 05:00 AM
I live next door to some Amish Christians who feel much the same way. Their name for how they dress is "plain". Long sleeves and trousers for men. Very young boys can wear shorts. Long skirts for women and girls of any age. Nothing fancy. Not even buttons and zippers, but just hook-'n-eye combinations to fasten clothing. Certainly no jewelry or make-up. And the men all wear full beards and the women always have something covering their head.

They also don't believe in taking photographs. Not that they have any superstitions about it, but they think of it as making an idol. Not because there is an image on paper, but because people make too big a deal about photographs and use them to draw attention to things when that attention should be reserved for God. So, they don't want to be associated with it. And for that reason, they would rather that other people not take their photograph either. Of course outsiders are always trying to take their picture anyway, because they look so different from everyone else.

So, I can understand how some might think to erect a sign: "Please, no photographs." Again, they are just asking for a little respect.

Malaikah
11-28-2006, 05:15 AM
It is not like non-Jews are not welcome in these neighborhoods, it is just that traditional Jewish households average around 8-10 children and are married by their 20's.
Wow! Mashaallah lol and people act like Muslims are the only ones who have a lot of kids!

IbnAbdulHakim
11-28-2006, 11:04 AM
here we don't have naked people walking around and i will always sustain the freedom of expression.
shaytaans done it again, see how he beautifies the haraam with such names and defiles the good with other names,

"freedome of expression" - acting without shame no matter who it will offend, may Allah protect us, fi aman Allah !

"war against terrorisM" - blatent war against islam

"radical muslim" - those beautiful muslims who do not forsake jihaad as commanded by the prophet saws and Abu Bakr in his opening speech as khalifaa said those who do not forsake jihaad will not be dishonored and no honor for those who forsake jihaad !

these names blind people, may Allah grant us the understanding !

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.