/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Generation 7/7

Sabbir_1
11-25-2006, 04:53 PM
What do young British Asians really think about race and identity in the post 7/7 world?

Bobby Friction and interviewees

Bobby Friction, with some of the young British Asians who were interviewed for the programme

In this documentary, aimed at 14- to 19-year-olds, Radio 1 DJ Bobby Friction contrasts his own experience with that of a younger generation for whom a shared identity has broken down into cultural and religious divides.

Bobby, who is from a Sikh family, is well placed to examine this change in feeling. The young people of his generation identified themselves as Asian brothers and sisters and wanted to make their mark on British culture. They went into business, the media and politics, and celebrated a shared Asian identity.

Nowadays young British Asians prefer the term British Sikh, British Muslim or British Hindu. 'What happened to make young Asians distance themselves from each other when we were making such progress together? And what impact is this having on the quest for an inclusive, multicultural Britain?' he asks

watch it again at:

http://www.channel4.com/learning/mic...tion/info.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
FBI
11-25-2006, 04:57 PM
:sl:

Good post, I enjoyed that programme when I first saw it, I personally disagree with nationalism as a whole.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.