/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Reciting Qur'aan at the Graveyard

Hijrah
11-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Ash Shaykh Al ‘Allaamah Muhammad ibn Saaleh Al ‘Uthaymeen

Question: Eminent Shaykh! What is the ruling concerning reciting Surah Yaasin or Surah Al Ikhlaas at the graveyard and what if somebody for example says: “You should recite Surah Ikhlaas eleven times [at the graveyard etc]?”

Answer: The recitation [of the Qur’aan] at graves is from amongst the innovations of the Deen regardless whether it is Surah Yasin, Surah Al Ikhlaas or Surah Al Faatihah. Therefore it is not proper for any human being to recite [the Qur’aan] at a graveyard. Rather every human being must confine himself only to that which is [established] from the Messenger of Allah Sallah Allahu ‘Alayhi wa Salam. Hence, one must say [whilst visiting the graveyard]:

“Peace be upon the inhabitants of this city (graveyard) from among the Believers and the Muslims, and may Allaah have mercy on those who have gone ahead of us, and those who come later on, and we shall, Allaah willing, join you” [1]

After [supplicating] he must then leave and he should not add upon this [act] neither with any recitation [of the Qur’aan] or anything else.
[1] Refer to the English translation of Sahih Muslim, Kitabus-Salaah, Chapter 203: What is to be said while visiting the graveyard and the supplication to be offered for the dead lying in the graves, Hadeeth no: 2127. [TN]

Liqaaul-Baab-al Maftooh Volume 7 page 24

Translated by: Zulfiker Ibrahim Almemoni Alatharee.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Thanx for this. I told my mom that your not supposed and that this is Bid'ah.
She didnt believe me. Maybe I can tell her again lol. Darn cultures.

Hijrah
11-25-2006, 10:40 PM
Show this to her..and it has to do a lot with culture, Pakistani/Indian people do it a lot and I heard it is very common amongst somalians as well..

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Yup Paki's for sure. Thats us...
I research everything my mom tells me. I don't want to be following culture.
What about when someone passes away? Not at the graveyard but at home. Cuz the women dont go for the Janazah. Im usually told to recite Surah Fatiha. Do u know anything about that?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hijrah
11-25-2006, 10:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
Yup Paki's for sure. Thats us...
I research everything my mom tells me. I don't want to be following culture.
What about when someone passes away? Not at the graveyard but at home. Cuz the women dont go for the Janazah. Im usually told to recite Surah Fatiha. Do u know anything about that?
:sl:
I am Paki but I have never heard about anything like that, however, the last Saltul-Janazah I attended, it was done outside the Masjid, and afterwards when the body was being driven to the graveyard i saw several women, so I think women can do salat-ul-janazah...it's not necessary though because as far as I know it is fard-e-kifayah, as in it's a collective obligation in which some members of the community do it and it will suffice for the whole community and if no one does it the community falls in sin..

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-25-2006, 10:50 PM
No I mean as a du'a. When Im at home or when more of us are around, we recite Surah Fatiha together. Do u get what i mean? =\
The women are there at the masjid for Janazah namaaz. I mean when they actually go to the grave, the women stay behind, cuz the Imam kinda discouraged it. So we went home and recited it in our homes.....

Hijrah
11-25-2006, 10:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
No I mean as a du'a. When Im at home or when more of us are around, we recite Surah Fatiha together. Do u get what i mean? =\
I don't have much to say about that, I suggest you try getting a fatwa on it from

islamonline.net

islamtoday.com

islamqa.com

or

islamweb.net

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-25-2006, 10:52 PM
Okie dokie.
JazakAllah Khair

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-26-2006, 04:53 PM

Jazakallah Khair for this. Is the Dua available in arabic somewhere?

:w:

amirah_87
11-26-2006, 05:21 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

Jazaaks for the article Akhee,Allah Yubaarik Feek;

Brother Ahmed: the arabic version goes :

" السﻻم عليكم يااهل الديار من المسلمين والمؤمنين يغفر الله لنا و لكم و انا انشاء الله بكم ﻻحقون"

As Salaamu Alaykum Yaa Ahlad-Diyaari minal Muslimeen wal Mu'mineen, Yaghfirullaahu Lanaa wa Lakum, Wa Inaa InshaAllah Bikum Laahiquun"

(taken from Kitaab: Ad-Daraariy Al-Mudee'ah; Kitaabul Janaa'iz)

There are a few other version to this aswell, hope that helps inshaAllah.

Hijrah
11-26-2006, 05:36 PM
is it in Kitaabul Janaa'iz from Sahih Al-Bukhari?

Yasmine018
11-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks for this sharing I did not know that reciting the Qur'an at graveyards r not allowed.

Jazakillah khair.

:w:

amirah_87
11-27-2006, 10:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hijrah
is it in Kitaabul Janaa'iz from Sahih Al-Bukhari?
As Salaamu Alaykum,

The book I searched in :"Ad-Daraaree by; Ash-Shaw'kaanee" only refered me to Sahih Muslim, however I did check in Sahih Bukhari, but I could'nt find it.

IbnAbdulHakim
12-01-2006, 11:16 AM
is there any hadith condemning the recitation of the Quran at the grave? :?

JazakAllah khair

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.