/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Chinese invest in ants.... Oddly Enough

lolwatever
11-26-2006, 12:41 AM
black ants are sold by the bagful to be steeped in tea or soaked in liquor as a natural remedy for ailments such as arthritis.
:offended:

China ant-breeding project has sting in the tail

BEIJING (Reuters) - A company in northeast China raised $379 million from gullible members of the public by promising big profits from a project to breed ants, Xinhua news agency said Friday.

The Donghua Ecological Breeding Company, in Liaoning province, offered returns of 35 to 60 percent on investment in the bogus project, Xinhua said. The state agency cited the Public Security Ministry which had detailed the case as an example of how fraudsters were becoming more imaginative.

The report did not explain why the public would want to invest in ants but, in the southern region of Guangxi, black ants are sold by the bagful to be steeped in tea or soaked in liquor as a natural remedy for ailments such as arthritis.

The number of economic crimes in China had risen by nearly 10 percent so far this year, the ministry said, warning that the trend could lead to social instability.

It said it had recovered 13 billion yuan ($1.65 billion) in losses from more than 60,000 cases of fraud, pyramid selling and illegal fund-raising.

Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Tania
11-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Do you think there is at least one single creature which is not eaten in this country :?:embarrass Poor ants imsad

MusLiM 4 LiFe
11-26-2006, 07:29 PM
ohhhh ewwwwwww :-\

Tania
11-26-2006, 07:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MusLiM 4 LiFe
ohhhh ewwwwwww :-\
I share your feelings...the ants are so well organized , its a pleasure to watch them when i am at picnic...I could never imagine eating one of them ...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
lolwatever
11-26-2006, 08:31 PM
^ but to eat them :vomit:

Kittygyal
11-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Assalmualikum warhmathullahi warbarakathuhu

OMG!!! so true sis Tania!!! peeps are so mean!! :cry: if they eat MY cats!!! they know whats going to happen to them!!!

do me a favour remember me in your Du3'ah, shukran

walikumassalm warhmathullahi warbarakathuhu

MusLiM 4 LiFe
11-26-2006, 09:34 PM
ohhh datz soo bad.. i cnt tink of it ima puke!

Woodrow
11-27-2006, 03:37 AM
I am wondering if I could interest them in buying some of our Texas "Fire Ants". Those are ants that fight back.

Keltoi
11-27-2006, 04:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I am wondering if I could interest them in buying some of our Texas "Fire Ants". Those are ants that fight back.
Those stings burn too. Fire is an appropriate name for them.

Selising
11-27-2006, 04:56 AM
My brother used to say, the Chinese will eat every flying things except aeroplane and every moving things except vehicles. they eat snakes, monkeys, frogs, worms

Woodrow
11-27-2006, 05:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Selising
My brother used to say, the Chinese will eat every flying things except aeroplane and every moving things except vehicles. they eat snakes, monkeys, frogs, worms
Sadly it is a reflection of insufficient arable land to produce most food products. So the Chinese people had to learn to eat whatever was available. Hunger is a motivator that will make anything appear to be edible.

Woodrow
11-27-2006, 05:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
They can also be quite deadly. Most ranchers will loose several calves a year to them. Occasonaly a person steps in a mound and is killed by them. The sting really does burn and the second or third day is much more painful than the first day.

Malaikah
11-27-2006, 06:32 AM
:sl:

^Wow i didnt know ants could be so deadly!:offended:

I was bitten by an ant when I was a little kid. I cant actually remember the bite much though I remember the place.

So, ants are not halal are they? Cant believe people eat them. :uuh:

lolwatever
11-27-2006, 07:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Selising
ok now you're guilty of runining my apetite, just got bak home from work was planning on having dinner, stuff that now :vomit: :vomit: :vomit:
:w:

lolwatever
11-27-2006, 08:28 AM
edit. oops wrong thread.. :hiding:

MusLiM 4 LiFe
11-27-2006, 01:41 PM
man, dnt dey feel weird? eatn random fingz.. its disgustin *pukes*

Woodrow
11-27-2006, 01:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

^Wow i didnt know ants could be so deadly!:offended:

I was bitten by an ant when I was a little kid. I cant actually remember the bite much though I remember the place.

So, ants are not halal are they? Cant believe people eat them. :uuh:
Most ants are quite inoffensive and harmless. Fire Ants and South American Army ants are 2 big exceptions.

Since ants are insects I doubt very much that they are halal to eat.

Tania
11-27-2006, 03:06 PM
Hunger is a motivator that will make anything appear to be edible.
But they continue to do that even when they are living in other countries which has lot of foods :(

Pygoscelis
11-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Ants are very high in protein. Quite good for you believe it or not.

IbnAbdulHakim
11-28-2006, 10:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
yeah i saw it in a documentary !! Defence mechanisms of animals are too interesting :)

lolwatever
11-28-2006, 10:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Ants are very high in protein. Quite good for you believe it or not.
yeh but its jusst soooooo :vomit: egh..

its like thsoe sailors whent hey go broke on food they eat those wat they call em.. not termites.. umm... lil insects.. yuck :grumbling

lolwatever
11-28-2006, 10:36 AM
^ the vomit suppose 2b black btw :offended:

IbnAbdulHakim
11-28-2006, 10:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
yeh but its jusst soooooo :vomit: egh..

its like thsoe sailors whent hey go broke on food they eat those wat they call em.. not termites.. umm... lil insects.. yuck :grumbling
whoah !! amazing what our stomachs can digest, the other day on youtube i saw these dudes eating live squids, (they were chinese :p) LIVE!! LIVING !!! maaan :vomit:

Pygoscelis
11-28-2006, 10:55 AM
I've heard stories of people eating live monkey brains. Don't know if thats true, but if so I think that wins.

IbnAbdulHakim
11-28-2006, 10:56 AM
I've heard stories of people eating live monkey brains. Don't know if thats true, but if so I think that wins.
theres no reason for it not to be true when people eat buffalo testicles, i saw it on fear factor :vomit:

Pygoscelis
11-28-2006, 11:09 AM
You don't enjoy prairie oysters? That is quite a delicacy.

IbnAbdulHakim
11-28-2006, 11:13 AM
You don't enjoy prairie oysters? That is quite a delicacy.
oysters, i dont fancy the sight and feel, it puts me off...., can you indulge in something which doesnt look appetizing? :?

Malaikah
11-28-2006, 11:46 AM

Actually I heard that too. ANIMAL CRUELTY. Plain evil.

lolwatever
11-28-2006, 12:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

Actually I heard that too. ANIMAL CRUELTY. Plain evil.

they put the thing in a cage on a special tabel with a hole in the center.. and slice its head off :grumbling
:w:

Chuck
11-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Yes it is true. In a region of China it is considered a delicacy.

Woodrow
11-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Each culture has food that is considered nausiating to people of different cultures. What is delicious to you will be seen as repulsive and disgusting by some people.

However, as Muslims we do have specific criteria as to what we should see as non-edible. This is one reason why Halal food is the same world wide and We will find halal food to our liking no matter what cultural recipes are used.

I believe food tastes among Muslims will be more similar than those of any other group of People. I should add Jewish Kosher food to that as Kosher food is Halal to us.

Allah-creation
11-28-2006, 07:26 PM
i have a friend who told me that back were he lives in china, he saw people who eat monkey brains when they are alive!

Kittygyal
11-28-2006, 07:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Allah-creation
i have a friend who told me that back were he lives in china, he saw people who eat monkey brains when they are alive!
Assalmualikum warhmathullahi warbarakathuhu

subhnallah! Killing Allah subhanwatallah animals YA ALLAH!! :cry:

whats going to be next! imsad

do me a favour remember me in your Du3'ah, shukran!

walikumasslam warhmathullahi warbarakathuhu

Woodrow
11-28-2006, 07:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Allah-creation
That is the way it is done. The poor monkey is retrained in a special table, with only it's head poking through the top. The eating utensils are spoons knife and a mallet. The top of the monkeys head is knocked off exposing the brain, which is then eaten while the monkey is alive and concious.

Even if eating monkey meat was halal we would consider this practice haram as cruelity to the animal. This is one food I can not find any justification for. Even if the people had to eat monkeys out of necessity, because of lack of food. I can not find any justification for eating it in this manner.

Keltoi
11-29-2006, 02:13 AM
That is the way it is done. The poor monkey is retrained in a special table, with only it's head poking through the top. The eating utensils are spoons knife and a mallet. The top of the monkeys head is knocked off exposing the brain, which is then eaten while the monkey is alive and concious.

Even if eating monkey meat was halal we would consider this practice haram as cruelity to the animal. This is one food I can not find any justification for. Even if the people had to eat monkeys out of necessity, because of lack of food. I can not find any justification for eating it in this manner.
Yeah, I thought this practice was only myth from an Indiana Jones movie, but unfortunately this stuff actually happens. Now that I think about it, the Indiana Jones monkeys had it better, they were already dead and the brains were chilled.

Pretty_najm
11-29-2006, 02:24 AM
Ewww...monkey brains....ants.....oh Lord, i tinks im gonna faint! Someone catch me b4 i.....:vomit:

AHMED_GUREY
11-29-2006, 03:23 PM
Not all chinese people eat monkey brains or insects my friend and her family defenitly don't

just like all Americans are not Junkfood eaters

the chinese cuisine is one of the most rich and diverse on the planet

Woodrow
11-29-2006, 03:51 PM
this thread did get to be quite a bit off the beaten track. AHMED_GUREY is correct. What we have been talking about is not the typical diet of the Chinese people. Each culture does have it's oddities, but they are not the general cuisine. Brother AHMED_GUREY Is very correct in this statement:

Chinese cooking has widely influenced the world also. We tend to forget that it is because of the early trade with China along the "Silk Road" way back in early history that Mid-Eastern, French and Italian cooking is what it is today. Some food we can credit the Chinese with:

Pasta (Spaghetti, Macaroni, Cous-cous)

Usage of many spices especialy things like horse radish, anise,

Even such traditional Pakistani food like Samosas has it's beginings with Chinese cooking.

We did make an error in going off on a tangent about the odd stuff some Chinese people eat. My mother normaly cooked traditional Chinese food. I can't recall ever having Monkey Brains or ants served to me.

Tania
11-29-2006, 05:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AHMED_GUREY
Not all chinese people eat monkey brains or insects my friend and her family defenitly don't

just like all Americans are not Junkfood eaters

Yes, but they are also cruel and not human if they can deliberately kill an animal eating it alive. Those men place is in jail and i can't understand why no one can stop them. I can't watch animal cruelty real news, but only once (until i changed the channel) i heard about medicine made from the liver of the small bears, chinese bears. They extract slowly parts from liver to make this medicine. The bears dies during one year in big pains. Still the chinese were in front of the news with the shark torture(cuting off the front flippers and throwing back in the sea the poor creature - they cook only the flippers in the soup). Big shame on them and i would not go to visit their country even if they would give me x fortune. I never ate chinese food and definetely i will never eat from now on either.

AHMED_GUREY
11-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Woodrow i just wanted to make that clear cause there might be chinese brothers and sisters that are members or guests here who might feel akward because of these generalisations and yeah China did influence the world in many ways

Tania sis i agree but you also have Canadian hunters who club little seals or Japanese sailors who kill endangered whales or Somali hunters who sell leopard's skin coats or etc etc there is animal cruelty in many societies around the world it would be wrong for us to generalize a whole group of people for the actions of a few and it would be a big lost to you sis if you blocked yourself from the good Chinese people who have a great culture and cuisine

trust me you should try some...

Keltoi
11-29-2006, 06:51 PM
I love Chinese food, probably my favorite. Ahmed is correct, we shouldn't make the mistake of assuming Chinese diet has anything to do with eating brains and insects. I imagine that the vast majority of Chinese would be just as put off by that thought as the rest of us.

Tania
11-29-2006, 06:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AHMED_GUREY
Tania sis i agree but you also have Canadian hunters who club little seals or Japanese sailors who kill endangered whales or Somali hunters who sell leopard's skin coats or etc etc there is animal cruelty in many societies around the world it would be wrong for us to generalize a whole group of people for the actions of a few and it would be a big lost to you sis if you blocked yourself from the good Chinese people who have a great culture and cuisine

trust me you should try some...
Those are not better than the chinese mentioned in this thread. And do you know what?
We should not be ashamed to mention the horrors made by this people because may be the chinese which visit this site will take some action to stop this. Next time when they will see a man catching a monkey , will not wait like at some theatre the horror to take place and they will try to release the monkey.Also, will not buy flippers soup if they know how its provided for them. will not eat tortoises which are on the endagered list(or not), will not take medicine made from bears liver to increase their life. Which life? A life build on other sufference? They want to live 100 years without any remorse? Will not eat ants to cure some artrithis
Trust me would stay in my throat their food. Thanks but no thanks.

Because they are a FEW, the majority should stop them.We are humans after our actions.

Woodrow
11-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Because they are a FEW, the majority should stop them.We are humans after our actions.
Much easier said then done. Stop and think of what goes on here in the Western world, in spite of the fact there are many efforts by the majority of the people to stop them.

Dog fights to the death are still a common spectator sport, even with it being illegal.

Only slightly less common are rooster fights.

Then we have the "Fur" Farms that are raising Mink, fox, rabbits, ermines, chinchillas etc to satisfy the western desire for fur. I won't disgust you with telling how the animals are killed to prevent damage to the fur. That continues in spite of a huge out cry from the majority and even the actions of the "Animal Rights activists"

Then we have our live stock and how it is treated, visit a large chicken farm and see what goes on, again in spite of the constant public out cry against it.

The fact that the majority is opposed to something and puts forth an effort to stop it, does not mean it will stop any time soon.

Tania
11-29-2006, 07:27 PM
The fact that the majority is opposed to something and puts forth an effort to stop it, does not mean it will stop any time soon.
But we are working on it. Here are not animal fights, never appeared in the news and with pleasure i can tell you are little fur coat on the women. In town there is only one shop which changed his location again-which could mean their business is not going so well. Slowly will have a better world. Each chicken need to have 1 m2 of ground, so i think the farmers try to improve their life quality, even if its a short one :(

Woodrow
11-29-2006, 07:49 PM
There is another problem I had forgotten about. That is the lack of freedom of speech in China. An advocacy group for any cause can not voice any public opinion. that does hinder any out cry from the majority. I doubt very much that any animal issues are very high on the governments agenda.

Keltoi
11-29-2006, 11:20 PM
There is another problem I had forgotten about. That is the lack of freedom of speech in China. An advocacy group for any cause can not voice any public opinion. that does hinder any out cry from the majority. I doubt very much that any animal issues are very high on the governments agenda.
I remember(this is horrible) a Chinese woman who posted videos on the internet of her stomping cats with her high-heel shoes. The Chinese government put a stop to that real quick....of course nobody knows what happened to her at this point.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.