/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fox News Story

Angelzz
11-26-2006, 06:03 AM
I can't believe how disturbing the news coverage i just seen on Fox News was. Disturbing to me as a muslim - how much hype and panic they are creating under the heading of "Radical Islam" (whether there is any truth in it i cant say for sure). All i know is - its so unfair that they can explain most muslims are peaceful law abiding citizens of their countries - in one sentence then spend the next 30 mins scary everyone else about how "Radical Islam" wants to Islamasice the whole world.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lolwatever
11-26-2006, 06:04 AM
:sl:
innit :offended: they don't even define their terms :uuh:
:w:

Keltoi
11-26-2006, 06:50 AM
There is Islam, and then there are radical Muslims. Terrorists, in this case Muslim terrorists, do pose a threat in the U.S....obviously. That being said, I do agree that there is an element of media sensationalism on the topic. Although it can hardly be deemed too sensational in light of the events of 9-11. As long as these reports on radical Muslims include commentary from Muslim leaders to shed light on the other side of the coin I don't see a particular problem with reporting on the issue.

Malaikah
11-26-2006, 07:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
As long as these reports on radical Muslims include commentary from Muslim leaders to shed light on the other side of the coin I don't see a particular problem with reporting on the issue.
Well it has gone way beyond that to be honest... as if the way Muslim women dress is a national security issue!! And yet it is exaggerated beyond belief by the media! Especially where I live, and its not only the media, politicians too. :raging:

Every time a Muslim leader says something, they blow it totally out of proportion, they blow it up to front page news when its not even worth being reported! And not only that, but they approach everything from a western perspective, they listen to what a Muslim has to say then they interprete it without any proper Islamic context or understanding and next thing you know you, the front page of the newspaper reads "HOW DARE YOU". More like how dare the media single us out in this way.

Its not even about radical Muslims anymore. What the hell is a radical Muslim anyway? Its like the word is used for any Muslim how says anything they dont like. Radical this and radical that, fundamentalist this, extremist that.

Ok I think I've ranted enough for now. :uuh:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Younus
11-26-2006, 10:14 AM
There is nothing as Radical Islam. Its just that The West has modified it to 'Radical'.

Islam is a religion of peace.

But fighting tyranny, oppression and injustice is a right of every Muslim ! Allah has ordered us Muslims fight for the truth !

Malaikah
11-26-2006, 11:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Younus
But fighting tyranny, oppression and injustice is a right of every Muslim !

Dont you mean duty? :?

Younus
11-26-2006, 11:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

Dont you mean duty? :?
yes, duty/responsibility :)

:w:

Muezzin
11-26-2006, 05:00 PM
It disturbs me when people put a lot of credence into the notoriously biased Fox News and let its sensationalised slants distort and dictate their thoughts and behaviour. The other extreme is Al Jazeera, which is just as bad if one lets it cloud one's better judgement.

Although it can hardly be deemed too sensational in light of the events of 9-11
I'm going to get into trouble for this, but certain Americans really, really need to stop citing 9/11 as some sort of get-out clause for every criticism levelled at its foreign policy or media reporting of it. Constant repetition of the event to justify maligned policies or sensationalised news stories cheapens it and disrespects the civilians who lost their lives, in my humble opinion. To me, it's no different than a certain minority among the black community constantly citing slavery every time a criticism is levelled at them personally, and also bears striking resemblance to certain members of the Muslim community constantly blaming the media (and only the media) when criticisms are levelled at them.

Keltoi
11-26-2006, 06:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
It disturbs me when people put a lot of credence into the notoriously biased Fox News and let its sensationalised slants distort and dictate their thoughts and behaviour. The other extreme is Al Jazeera, which is just as bad if one lets it cloud one's better judgement.

I'm going to get into trouble for this, but certain Americans really, really need to stop citing 9/11 as some sort of get-out clause for every criticism levelled at its foreign policy or media reporting of it. Constant repetition of the event to justify maligned policies or sensationalised news stories cheapens it and disrespects the civilians who lost their lives, in my humble opinion. To me, it's no different than a certain minority among the black community constantly citing slavery every time a criticism is levelled at them personally, and also bears striking resemblance to certain members of the Muslim community constantly blaming the media (and only the media) when criticisms are levelled at them.
To a certain extent I agree that 9-11 has been cited as justification for many things by the Bush administration and the Democratic opposition. However, this event occurred, and it is the responsibility of the U.S. government to stop something like that from happening again. Informing people about the dangers posed by some Muslim extremists and the ideology they follow isn't that different from informing people about other dangers. While I agree that the media makes mistakes in the way they present the information sometimes, I think many Muslims would prefer for the media to pretend no danger actually exists.

IzakHalevas
11-26-2006, 06:33 PM
There is nothing as Radical Islam. Its just that The West has modified it to 'Radical'.

Islam is a religion of peace.

But fighting tyranny, oppression and injustice is a right of every Muslim ! Allah has ordered us Muslims fight for the truth !
If there is no such thing as radical islam, and all muslims are part of the religion of peace then how do you explain 9/11? Are those peaceful muslims, or are they the perfect fit for the definition.

Radical- a person who holds or follows strong convictions or extreme principles; extremist.

Muslim - an adherent of Islam.

There is a reason they say "radical islam" because there is a difference between the two.

IbnAbdulHakim
11-26-2006, 08:19 PM
its fox, the top propagator of propaganda wiv CNN really closely behind. Hopefully all those with slight intelligence will realise the farce that Fox portrays !

Malaikah
11-27-2006, 02:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IzakHalevas
If there is no such thing as radical islam, and all muslims are part of the religion of peace then how do you explain 9/11? Are those peaceful muslims, or are they the perfect fit for the definition.

Radical- a person who holds or follows strong convictions or extreme principles; extremist.

Muslim - an adherent of Islam.

There is a reason they say "radical islam" because there is a difference between the two.
There is only ONE Islam. There is no such thing as Radical Islam or Moderate Islam.

Better words to use would be sinful Muslims, niave Muslims, careless Muslims, opressed Muslims, westernised Muslims, apostates who call themselves Muslims, etc. I'm sure you can find something depending on the context.

But Radical Islam? No, thats not right, its like they wish to to justify what they say by getting people to think it is 'Radical Islam' therefore they can bash it as much as they like because it is a threat to the western lifestyle, when in many cases it could have nothing to do with Islam in the first place or, at the other extreme, it is a concept that is just plain Islamic and not a concept unique to 'Radical Islam'.

Keltoi
11-27-2006, 03:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese
There is only ONE Islam. There is no such thing as Radical Islam or Moderate Islam.

Better words to use would be sinful Muslims, niave Muslims, careless Muslims, opressed Muslims, westernised Muslims, apostates who call themselves Muslims, etc. I'm sure you can find something depending on the context.

But Radical Islam? No, thats not right, its like they wish to to justify what they say by getting people to think it is 'Radical Islam' therefore they can bash it as much as they like because it is a threat to the western lifestyle, when in many cases it could have nothing to do with Islam in the first place or, at the other extreme, it is a concept that is just plain Islamic and not a concept unique to 'Radical Islam'.
This might work in an intellectual or academic exercise, but law enforcement and the military need to know their enemy. What motivates them and what ideology they hold. As for headlines in newspapers and magazines I would tend to agree. Most people have the attention span of a 12 year old, and snatchy headlines like "Islamic extremism on the rise" can be very easily translated into "Islam is extremist". So in that aspect I agree with you.

snakelegs
11-27-2006, 03:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin

i couldn't agree more.
the things that have been and are being done in the name of protecting us from another 9/11 are doing nothing but making us more vulnerable to terrorism.
bush is the best recruiter there is for terrorist groups - he deserves a prize!
i am one of those rare freaks who have never seen fox news.
but one of the classic things a person in power does, to bolster their power is to scare the people and then convince them that only you can protect them.

Muezzin
11-27-2006, 03:53 AM
To a certain extent I agree that 9-11 has been cited as justification for many things by the Bush administration and the Democratic opposition.
It seems both ends of the political spectrum have been cynically capitalising on the tragedy. Such is politics I suppose.

However, this event occurred, and it is the responsibility of the U.S. government to stop something like that from happening again. Informing people about the dangers posed by some Muslim extremists and the ideology they follow isn't that different from informing people about other dangers.
True. I just think Fox News paints a particularly distorted picture in this regard. At the other extreme we have Al-Jazeera, also painting distorting pictures.

While I agree that the media makes mistakes in the way they present the information sometimes, I think many Muslims would prefer for the media to pretend no danger actually exists.
I can't speak for every Muslim, but I personally would not prefer for the media to pretend no danger actually exists. Rather I would prefer more news channels and papers to present a more balanced view. As far as broadcasts go for instance, to me Channel 4 News in the UK seems to be quite even-handed.

lavikor201
11-27-2006, 05:09 AM
You say there is no difference between a Muslim who wishes to have peace, and a Muslim who wishes to fly a plane into a tower? You have a very distorted view if that is the true view you hold.

ONE Islam? The same?????

Watch these and tell me if they are the same:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6UK95fPvsnM (muslim says that islam accepts all, and is peaceful)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HsHn6LoO-ro (muslim girl tells that jews are apes and pigs and must die)

Malaikah
11-27-2006, 05:48 AM
Excuse me, I said there is one ISLAM. Islam is perfect.

You seem to have over-looked the lenghty part of my post listing the different states of Muslims, including ignorant Muslims. I've not watched the first video however I have seen the 2nd and I can say with certainty that the little girl has been brain washed and hasnt got the correct understanding.

Youre Jewish. I understand that in your religion men must wear something on their heads, typically they choose a skull cap. I know a Jewish man who wears nothing on his head. Does this mean there are two different religions that Jews follow? I dont think so. It just means he isnt following his religion properly.

Point understood I hope?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.