/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everybody!!!

kelle_mk
11-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Hello everyone,
Hope you are well! My name is Kelle! I'm from Milton Keynes but am currently at Lincoln University studying Journalism and English. I am currently writing a research assignment on Islam in the media. I'm trying to some opinions on how Islam is treated in the media, esp the veil debate. My assignment is trying to find the difference between national and regional coverage of the veil debate, how they differ and why they differ. If anyone could please help I would be really HAPPY!
Thank You,
Kelle :okay:
xxx

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Yasmine018
11-26-2006, 02:16 PM
:welcome:

A great welcome to you Kelle. Hope you'll have lot of benefits in this forum as it contains all that you're searching for.

Enjoy n Start Posting;)

The Ruler
11-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Greetings kelle :)

:welcome: to the forums...am sure you'll find some interesting stuff on this forum regarding what you are looking for :)

this might help

http://www.islamicboard.com/world-af...the+veil+issue

:)

:w:

amatu
11-26-2006, 02:23 PM
welcome to the forums enjoy ur stay

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
kelle_mk
11-26-2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome and Links! Hope to spk to you all soon!

gladTidings
11-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Hello Kelle

Welcome to the forum. Hope you are well. I just wanted to suggest that you contact your University Islamic Society (although im not sure whether you have a very active one) otherwise you could always contact Nottingham ISOC, and we would be happy to help you with any queries (http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/~islamic/index.htm).
Also with the current veil debate, there have been many events where jack straws comments have been discussed all around the midlands. I'll let you know if theres any more coming up. Events would probably be very useful in obtaining information that you require for your assignment.

Anyway good luck with your assignment.

xXx

mohammed farah
11-26-2006, 03:15 PM
welcome to LI forum kelly

Abdul Fattah
11-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Welcome to the forum
I hope you have a pleasant stay
About the veil, If you ask me it comes down to this there is the pro and the contra side. I'd say the contra-hijab is divided in three parts:
1. Those who are genuinely concerned about the "liberty" of woman in Islam.
2. Those who believe that banning hijab has both benefits like better integration as well as downside like limiting religion; but feel that the later is of lesser importance.
3. And those who are contra for the sake of opposing/oppressing Islam (be that out of fear or hate or any other motive).

As for the pro-hijab I think we're pretty homogeneous.
Now obviously the angle one comes from will make that person use different arguments. For example, somebody who is genuinely concerned about the rights and freedoms of Muslim woman is then fighting a symbolic fight. Because they are not concerned about the hijab but about what they think it represents. To them we could try to explain that a piece of cloth is not an oppressive chain and we could point out the irony of trying to fight for someones rights, by taking away those persons rights to wear what they want. Since when is banning=freedom?

The second group can use several arguments from a social-psychological p.o.v. or they can also jump on the first group's bandwagon. To those social psychological arguments I'd reply that they are building on the idea that integrating into a society is more important then keeping ones religion. Obviously we disagree. Yes it's true we should try to fit in into western society, but not to the extend that we assimilate and loose our own identity and religion.

The third group will usually use any arguments available and jump on both the first and second group's bandwagon. And more then that, they will use one liners and twisted logic to defend their objective. For example, here in Belgium politicians banned the hijab in public schools under the guise of secularism and separating state with religion. they argued that there's a law that says that public schools should be neutral when it comes to religion, and hence the students shouldn't wear any symbols that refer to religion as that would un-balance the neutral image. Interesting to point out is that the very law they used to defend their ban is actually a law that was meant to protect the students in keeping their own religion. The law is meant to protect students from being forced out of their religion by school.

Well of course the matter is more complex then how I am portraiting it here. But this is what it comes down to if you ask me.

Younus
11-26-2006, 04:24 PM
:welcome: to LI forum.

Keep in touch here and stay active, as you will have an enjoyable, beneficial stay here, and you will learn more and more about Islam, inshaaAllah (God-willing). :)

Pk_#2
11-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Hiya kel,

welcome to the forum,

you live quite close to me y'know,

anyways, use the search funtion, to browse on previous topics concerning the veil etc :)

Tc huni!

Angel
11-26-2006, 05:52 PM
:welcome: sister and enjoy ur stay (boy its been to long since i last visited) ehehhe;D anywz welcome and hop ur like it here
iam sure u will

Skillganon
11-26-2006, 09:22 PM
Welcome to the Forum Kelle, once you got enough post here you will able to post a thread.

mohammed farah
11-26-2006, 09:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
Welcome to the Forum Kelle, once you got enough post here you will able to post a thread.
do you honestly have to have an amount of post before you can start a thread

Samira_01
11-27-2006, 01:54 PM
Welcome!

Sal3ma 7
11-28-2006, 02:23 AM
:welcome:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!