/* */

PDA

View Full Version : i need help!!...anyone willing to help me please!!!

Sum-Muslim-Gal
11-27-2006, 01:52 PM
salam

ok am an A2 student studying English lang...
I based my course work on Artificial Intelligence[AI]....
It involves robots talking ...even one that actually sing to lol...

anyways I don’t have big hypothesis yet although I’ve though of one ' do machines understand every context of conversation.??...then I will look at the frameworks from linguistic perspective, maybe psychologist n sociologist perspective too...

ok ive been talking to my teacher she's thinking it be good if I have a second human into my investigation so that I can divide the bots I talk to 3 & the second human talk to 2 bots. well something like that…

well your help comes in...i need a second human!!....

my friends are busy with exam revision or their own stress on c/work so i don’t want to bother them...I don’t want to bother u guys either lol….but if anyone is willing to help me out here I’ll be so great full…in your own good time…that’s if your not busy with anything…please!!!

Sorry am not elaborating in depth …am kind of in rush!!..
inshaAllah please post if u would like to…:D:D:D
& I will get back to you soon as…

JazakaAllah

Wasalam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umar001
11-27-2006, 01:54 PM
Well Wa Aleykum Salam

And what do I have to do?

thc
11-27-2006, 02:13 PM
assalamu laikum warahmatullahi wabaraktuhu,

Send me a PM I AM WILLING TO HELP YOU IF POSSIBLE!

But like the above comment, what do i have to do?

wasalaam

Sum-Muslim-Gal
11-27-2006, 02:34 PM
salam

jazakaAllah for the responses...
i will tell u what it involves later inshaAllah..if u can wait that is...:D:D:D

wasalam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Re.TiReD
11-27-2006, 02:59 PM
:sl: am willin to help ya sis! sounds fun :okay:

IceQueen~
11-27-2006, 03:04 PM
depends what it is...

Umar001
11-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Yes maybe its better if a sister helps.

Pk_#2
11-27-2006, 03:31 PM
lol ^

it aint that bad, sis your doing written language init? (Tis hard) =(

if is was spoken all you hav to do is record a conversation between friends, that will be your data, den u analyse,

I forgot most of my linguistic frameworks sis,

i can't find ma AS stuff lol

:wub: sumz!

schoolmaster54
11-27-2006, 04:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sum-Muslim-Gal
salam

ok am an A2 student studying English lang...
I based my course work on Artificial Intelligence[AI]....
It involves robots talking ...even one that actually sing to lol...

anyways I don’t have big hypothesis yet although I’ve though of one ' do machines understand every context of conversation.??...then I will look at the frameworks from linguistic perspective, maybe psychologist n sociologist perspective too...

ok ive been talking to my teacher she's thinking it be good if I have a second human into my investigation so that I can divide the bots I talk to 3 & the second human talk to 2 bots. well something like that…

well your help comes in...i need a second human!!....

my friends are busy with exam revision or their own stress on c/work so i don’t want to bother them...I don’t want to bother u guys either lol….but if anyone is willing to help me out here I’ll be so great full…in your own good time…that’s if your not busy with anything…please!!!

Sorry am not elaborating in depth …am kind of in rush!!..
inshaAllah please post if u would like to…:D:D:D
& I will get back to you soon as…

JazakaAllah

Wasalam
Virtual Hindi Chat
Deepti, the Talking Computer –
By Rahul Jindal
Chandigarh students have developed a program which lets computers talk in Hindi. It has enormous potential in India, writes Rahul Jindal, who developed the program with his associates.

Hello India. Artificial Intelligence, meet India’s illiterate peasant. Four of us, originally from Chandigarh’s Punjab Engineering College, are now building what we believe could be a vital bridge that unites India’s proud, state-of-the-art computer expertise with its impoverished masses.

Imagine a scene at a busy railway station in New Delhi. A semiliterate passenger wants to know what time the train to Jalandhar will leave. He goes to the information booth, finds the monitor which has the information. Maybe he chooses the distinctive icon that represents the his train. Or he chooses the train number. He touches it, and a voice tells him what time the next train shall leave. It can also guide him to more information about reservations and availability.

Sounds like a sci-fi movie? Well, it isn’t, thanks to Deepti. Touchscreen technology is now commonplace in the West, and Deepti is a program that we have developed which is an interactive computer chat program that can speak in Hindi.

The three-member team includes me (Rahul Jindal), Ritvik Sahajpal and Rohit Kumar working with Rishi Bihari. We have come up with a chat robot — a chat software program—— that understands and speaks Hindi and is capable of intelligent talk.

It has great potential, we believe. Deepti could be used to make government services more accessible. We could put it in government offices, where it could replace the information desk. Fully developed, we could have a system where people could communicate with it via voice and it could then provide them help, say, to get the right official forms, again through voice.

Deepti could also be used on home computers. Users could install it on their computers and have fun chatting with Deepti. As Deepti chats more and more with the user, it will acquire more knowledge about the user and become more and more intelligent.

The ability to communicate through speech is something we take for granted, but it is one of the most complex of skills, as scientists who do research in artificial intelligence have discovered. Talented computer scientists are now on a path to teach computers to do this. The ability of computers to talk comes through the use of Natural Language Processing techniques. The simplest of these is based on the pioneering work of the AI Foundation which has developed an as-yet-primitive non-standard “markup” language for artificial intelligence, called AIML. AIML is the brainchild of Dr. Richard S. Wallace, a computer scientist with Carnegie Mellon University

Scientists are trying to develop chat robots using this, and substantial success has been achieved.

Our project works best through modular programming. We wish to follow the dictum “From simple to complex” throughout the development process. We would wish to set out with a study of AIML along with planning and discussing the simplest of the AIML categories.

The development and conception of these categories will undoubtedly be a continuous process.

We will need to develop what might be called an AIML server, that understands the AIML rules and hence our AIML categories. This is actually what the “robot” is. With a weak “shell” developed, we move on to giving a simple command line interface (aka client), which would in fact be an interface to the human user. It is as if we take our server to be analogous to a http Server and the User Interface as being analogous to an http Client that sends requests to the server on behalf of the user.

Until now both the user and the bot — a machine that communicates through typed speech — communicate through Unicode (or ASCII) characters. At this stage we are working towards transforming the bot output to simulate human voice. This can be done using a Text-to-Speech system. Currently we work with user inputs in text format with the bot “speaking” out her dialogues.

There is a lot of work ahead. We would like to reiterate that categories of AIML would need to be refined to make Deepti intelligent.

We would also like to move from command line interface to a Web browser-compatible interface. For this we would need to direct all input to a software port at which our server would be listening, so that appropriate responses can be played on a multimedia-enabled system through the speakers.

As we develop our system, we wish to ultimately have some form of lip syncing, so that we have a character on screen that seems to be speaking out her responses.

Few things are certain in scientific research. The thorniest problems can be solved in unexpected flashes of inspiration; on the other hand, unforeseen hurdles can come up and stymie progress. But perseverance and hard work will get you there.

We are very, very optimistic. The basic principles are sound, and we already have a prototype, though it needs refining. So it may not be too far in the future when at a major Indian railway station, when you need to know about train schedules, you may be looking at the face of a beautiful (virtual) woman on a monitor who answers your questions with seductive grace. Now that would be an improvement over the usual scene today: A dour employee who wordlessly points a stick at some blackboard as he looks at you accusingly, as if asking about the train schedule is an only slightly less serious crime than culpable homicide.

Rahul Jindal presently works with Infosys in India.
He helped develop Deepti, a software program
that enables computers to talk in Hindi..

|TOP|

schoolmaster54
11-27-2006, 04:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by schoolmaster54
Virtual Hindi Chat
Deepti, the Talking Computer –By Rahul Jindal
Chandigarh students have developed a program which lets computers talk in Hindi. It has enormous potential in India, writes Rahul Jindal, who developed the program with his associates.

Hello India. Artificial Intelligence, meet India’s illiterate peasant. Four of us, originally from Chandigarh’s Punjab Engineering College, are now building what we believe could be a vital bridge that unites India’s proud, state-of-the-art computer expertise with its impoverished masses.

Imagine a scene at a busy railway station in New Delhi. A semiliterate passenger wants to know what time the train to Jalandhar will leave. He goes to the information booth, finds the monitor which has the information. Maybe he chooses the distinctive icon that represents the his train. Or he chooses the train number. He touches it, and a voice tells him what time the next train shall leave. It can also guide him to more information about reservations and availability.

Sounds like a sci-fi movie? Well, it isn’t, thanks to Deepti. Touchscreen technology is now commonplace in the West, and Deepti is a program that we have developed which is an interactive computer chat program that can speak in Hindi.

The three-member team includes me (Rahul Jindal), Ritvik Sahajpal and Rohit Kumar working with Rishi Bihari. We have come up with a chat robot — a chat software program—— that understands and speaks Hindi and is capable of intelligent talk.

It has great potential, we believe. Deepti could be used to make government services more accessible. We could put it in government offices, where it could replace the information desk. Fully developed, we could have a system where people could communicate with it via voice and it could then provide them help, say, to get the right official forms, again through voice.

Deepti could also be used on home computers. Users could install it on their computers and have fun chatting with Deepti. As Deepti chats more and more with the user, it will acquire more knowledge about the user and become more and more intelligent.

The ability to communicate through speech is something we take for granted, but it is one of the most complex of skills, as scientists who do research in artificial intelligence have discovered. Talented computer scientists are now on a path to teach computers to do this. The ability of computers to talk comes through the use of Natural Language Processing techniques. The simplest of these is based on the pioneering work of the AI Foundation which has developed an as-yet-primitive non-standard “markup” language for artificial intelligence, called AIML. AIML is the brainchild of Dr. Richard S. Wallace, a computer scientist with Carnegie Mellon University

Scientists are trying to develop chat robots using this, and substantial success has been achieved.

Our project works best through modular programming. We wish to follow the dictum “From simple to complex” throughout the development process. We would wish to set out with a study of AIML along with planning and discussing the simplest of the AIML categories.

The development and conception of these categories will undoubtedly be a continuous process.

We will need to develop what might be called an AIML server, that understands the AIML rules and hence our AIML categories. This is actually what the “robot” is. With a weak “shell” developed, we move on to giving a simple command line interface (aka client), which would in fact be an interface to the human user. It is as if we take our server to be analogous to a http Server and the User Interface as being analogous to an http Client that sends requests to the server on behalf of the user.

Until now both the user and the bot — a machine that communicates through typed speech — communicate through Unicode (or ASCII) characters. At this stage we are working towards transforming the bot output to simulate human voice. This can be done using a Text-to-Speech system. Currently we work with user inputs in text format with the bot “speaking” out her dialogues.

There is a lot of work ahead. We would like to reiterate that categories of AIML would need to be refined to make Deepti intelligent.

We would also like to move from command line interface to a Web browser-compatible interface. For this we would need to direct all input to a software port at which our server would be listening, so that appropriate responses can be played on a multimedia-enabled system through the speakers.

As we develop our system, we wish to ultimately have some form of lip syncing, so that we have a character on screen that seems to be speaking out her responses.

Few things are certain in scientific research. The thorniest problems can be solved in unexpected flashes of inspiration; on the other hand, unforeseen hurdles can come up and stymie progress. But perseverance and hard work will get you there.

We are very, very optimistic. The basic principles are sound, and we already have a prototype, though it needs refining. So it may not be too far in the future when at a major Indian railway station, when you need to know about train schedules, you may be looking at the face of a beautiful (virtual) woman on a monitor who answers your questions with seductive grace. Now that would be an improvement over the usual scene today: A dour employee who wordlessly points a stick at some blackboard as he looks at you accusingly, as if asking about the train schedule is an only slightly less serious crime than culpable homicide.

Rahul Jindal presently works with Infosys in India.
He helped develop Deepti, a software program
that enables computers to talk in Hindi..

http://technews.acm.org/archives.cfm...n-02-2006.html

schoolmaster54
11-27-2006, 04:34 PM
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~reids/papers/...2005-final.pdf

Sum-Muslim-Gal
11-27-2006, 06:36 PM
salam

jazakAllah for the responses everyone...

ok this is what u have to do if ur willing to stick with me..until say about march/april maybe less...

me n you will talk to the bots i will talk to 3 bots and the second will talk to 2 bots...we will have the same questions etc..to ask the bots but weeved in if you know what i mean...

e.g. is there skeletons in your cupboard??...now would the bot understand this ...so what we got to do is weev it in the contex of conversation so that it makes sense....that way i will look at and investigate whether it understood this or did it completly change the conversation to something different....

you will have to transcribe the whole covo by the way so that i can anyalse it...

its gona be really good inshaAllah...:D:D

oh and you have to be on task..like keep me posting whats happening etc..

thats why i need peeps who are not busy with nothing at all e.g. studies exam etc...i will get back inshaAllah as i am finding it to balance my c/work n revision together so am gona pack it in for a while ...

aah..ok am rushing again as well so i couldnt say much....

sis tas..lolzzz..yes its written work..erm i wanted to do on language acuasition [spl] n investigate on my nephew lol...but i found this more intereting...linguistic terms..man its not hard to remebr just re cap o nthem..what have u done with ur AS work..dont tell me u binned them..lolz!!!:D:D:D

bro. school master thanks for that i will read it later....:D

if any of this doesnt make any sense tell me lol..coz am geting off quick!!!
..oh mind my non standard am rushing...:D:D:D

SO ANY ONE????? let me know!!!

jazakAllah :D:D

wasalam

England
11-27-2006, 07:02 PM
ZOOOOOOOOOOOOM... gone over my head :rollseyes I don't understand what you need doing. Perhaps it's because I'm tired.......

.....yeh that's it.

Sum-Muslim-Gal
11-28-2006, 10:43 PM
^^ must be my explanation..:rolleyes:

Basically i justed needed someone to be part of my investigation...talking to bots.........

its ok people thanks for the input though..:rolleyes:..

got my freind to help me out ...which was soo nice of her..:D:D:D..even though she got a stack full of work to do herself..:D:D:D

wasalam

schoolmaster54
11-28-2006, 10:54 PM
Yes, I'm ready to share your work.

Sum-Muslim-Gal
11-28-2006, 10:56 PM
salam

aaw thanks brother but ive got my friend who was willing to help..coz i didnt think no one will understand me on here..maybe because i wasnt making any sense...lol....so i thought i'd go bug my freind well i didnt really she was exciting n soo facinated by it so she said YES!! in happiness n joy..lol:D:D:D

wasalam

schoolmaster54
11-30-2006, 09:24 AM
salam

aaw thanks brother but ive got my friend who was willing to help..coz i didnt think no one will understand me on here..maybe because i wasnt making any sense...lol....so i thought i'd go bug my freind well i didnt really she was exciting n soo facinated by it so she said YES!! in happiness n joy..lol:D:D:D

wasalam
Dear sister,
I teach English in Turkey. Whenever you need any help with English, you can write to me. By the way, what do you study?
Fi amanillah!

Sum-Muslim-Gal
11-30-2006, 07:12 PM
salam

an studying A2 Sociology,English Language and ICT...inshaAllah going to Unitversity to get a degree in 'Social work'..:D:D:D...

erm ..what level in English do you teach brother it maybe different in Turkey..
e.g. Primary, GCSE, Alevel or Uni..??

and yes i need help inshaAllah when your on i will ask!!

jazakaAllah khair brother

wasalam

schoolmaster54
11-30-2006, 11:08 PM
salam

an studying A2 Sociology,English Language and ICT...inshaAllah going to Unitversity to get a degree in 'Social work'..:D:D:D...

erm ..what level in English do you teach brother it maybe different in Turkey..
e.g. Primary, GCSE, Alevel or Uni..??

and yes i need help inshaAllah when your on i will ask!!

jazakaAllah khair brother

wasalam

Dear Sister,
I teach English at School of Economics and Administrative Sciences at university in Turkey. I'd like to help you.
Fi amanillah!

Pk_#2
11-30-2006, 11:28 PM
woah mashaAllah peace!

Sum-Muslim-Gal
12-01-2006, 12:04 AM
Dear Sister,
I teach English at School of Economics and Administrative Sciences at university in Turkey. I'd like to help you.
Fi amanillah!
salam

mashaAllah thats really good!!!

ok i dont know where to start but i need help!!!

not with the topic above but with one of the units am doing in A2 Eng Lang...
'Editorial Writing':confused: <<Yes thats how am feeling..i have an exam in 7 week time to be precised....i think..Yes!!!..and am really dreading it...:-\

ok the Exam....Editorial writing we have 2 big thick packs..and it scared the living day lights out if me coz its sooo hard!!!
and we have 4 Questions this is in the exam out of four question we pick one question and one pack ...n we asnwer whatever it tells us to do....e.g. write an article,web page, review, book blurb..etc....

thats what i cant do i cant look at a masisve chunks of text and put it in my own words i can analyse and looks at why the vocab etc.. been used what devise etc...BUT i cant re-write a text for a different genre and purpose..

how would you advise me to actually tackle a question and answer it with out freaking out so much!!....yes pick out the key points in the question and look for it in the text given right??...but what other skills are required to do so...

I have spoken to one of my English teacher about my situation ..but not the other teacher who is teaching me this unit...'ive told him though i am struggling but he doent say nothing at all' and i just think ok...thanks for your support you've been such a help!!..:( .all he says is that if you cant do it then how the heck did you manage to pass your AS i just think wooh..!!chill..

Eeerm...i dont know how else to actually explain this or my sistuation...eerm..
i think the only explaintion would be to talk to the other teacher tommorow yes thats what i will do and then sort this out!!!

but i would like your help too brother if possible!!

sorry for the dragging essay:-\

JazkaAlllah

Wasalam

schoolmaster54
12-01-2006, 11:51 PM
Assalam Sister,
I found some resources for editorial writing, Read them then we can discuss with you soon.
Fi amanillah.

:)

http://www.rpgamer.com/editor/howto.html
http://www.geneseo.edu/~bennett/EdWrite.htm
http://www.k12albemarle.org/albemarl...Editorials.htm
http://homepages.ius.edu/dschwei2/writing/editorial.htm
http://home.pacific.net.au/~greg.hub/editorial.html
http://www.english.ccsu.edu/martin/E...%20Writing.htm
http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/webEd...ng/Default.htm
http://projects.edtech.sandi.net/mon..._editorial.htm
http://va.essortment.com/learnnewspape_rvhj.htm
http://patterico.com/2004/04/24/1466...riting-lesson/
http://www.poynter.org/content/conte...w.asp?id=16961
http://www.nndb.com/honors/505/000079268/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulitze...torial_Writing
http://www.answers.com/topic/pulitze...torial-writing
http://www.spacetoday.org/Research/Research.html
http://www.ideasiteforbusiness.com/Andy/we.htm
http://www.aynrand.org/site/News2?ne...ter_friendly=1
http://www.uil.utexas.edu/academics/...t_writing.html

Sum-Muslim-Gal
12-02-2006, 07:04 PM
^^aah theres alot of links and reading to do..mmhmm..

inshaAllah i will have look at few or all if i can!!

what happens after that?

jazakaAllah for your time though..

ive scanned through a few there useful tips and advice there..cool thanks again..

wasalam

schoolmaster54
12-02-2006, 09:53 PM
^^aah theres alot of links and reading to do..mmhmm..

inshaAllah i will have look at few or all if i can!!

what happens after that?

jazakaAllah for your time though..

ive scanned through a few there useful tips and advice there..cool thanks again..

wasalam
Whenever you have any problems, I can help you, dear sister. It is a joy of me to help muslim brothers and sisters. We're like the bricks of the same building.
Wassalam.

Sum-Muslim-Gal
12-02-2006, 09:54 PM
^^jazakaAllah brother:D:D

some of them tips on there did help actually sort of understand it but not there yet..oh well..

salam

schoolmaster54
12-02-2006, 10:51 PM
^^jazakaAllah brother:D:D

some of them tips on there did help actually sort of understand it but not there yet..oh well..

salam
Wassalam younger sister.:)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!