/* */

PDA

View Full Version : An institute for children with disabilities?

afriend
11-27-2006, 06:39 PM
:sl:

I came accross a girl, no older than 4 years of age, Her name was Maryam. Her right side of her face was not fully formed...I had to grab onto my mum's shoulder to stop me crying...She was such a bright child, even though he was visually impaired because of one eye, she drove the go carts better than all the other children. She was so sweet I wanted to kiss her on her head so much. I'm still thinking about the child, I don't think I will ever forget about her.

I want to do something for these sorts of children. I'm going to make that my goal. To help children with disablities such as the above and help them to unlock their potential....I was looking for this sort of a goal in life, a sadaqat jaariyah that I can do as a project in the long run.

May Allah give her mother sakeenah (peace) and give the child shifaa'...I want to have children, take care of them...Love them and in return be loved by them.

I can't do this on my own...Nor am I planning to do this over night.

Just an idea...Wondering if there's anyone out there with same interests.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
amirah_87
11-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Wa Alaykum As Salaam,

SubhanAllah, I Myself work with the children who have Special Educational Needs, and it gets emotional alot of the time.
(Just last week one of our pupils who had leukemia and passed away, she was a young Muslimah, May Allah have mercy on her).

I know exactly what you mean by holding yourself from crying.. I find myself grittin at my teeth to stop the tears alot too.
They're such bright kids though subhanAllah full of love and also very innocent.
Workin' with them has definetly increased my interest, as before i would try to avoid those with disabilities(those with down syndrome especially), I could'nt look them straight in the face subhanAllah.

It also makes me feel really really grateful about alot of stuff.

I think it'd be good for you to do something to help them InshaAllah, and especially in Muslims schools, they don't have any facilities and stuff for them.

I'm very Interested in learning Braille and sign Language at the Moment, but I heard it's very hard, May Allah give me the Tawfeeq InshaAllah.

Ameen to your Duaah :rose:

afriend
11-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Jazakallah sister for your contribution :). May Allah accept all our good actions towards these sorts of children...And like you said, they're extremely innocent.

What is their reward, rather what do they get in return from Allah?

I'd just like to know a little more. If anybody would answer.

*I'd rep u but im outta reps

afriend
11-30-2006, 10:20 PM
What is their reward, rather what do they get in return from Allah?

I'd just like to know a little more. If anybody would answer.
Anybody?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Far7an
11-30-2006, 11:02 PM
If you're really instrested in something like this, I'd contact this group called "Ansaar". They help Muslims with disablities, adults and children. I know a brother involved directly with them, I can get him to call you if you want.

afriend
12-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Jazakallah khair brother.

Here is my first ever draft/plan:

Al-Maryam Academy*

An Institute for children with disablities**

Aims:

• To offer children with disablities a complete and full education in an atmosphere which will help them to unlock their full potential.

To provide facilities and services that would not usually be found at other schools, such as special learning utilities, trained staff etc.

And that's all so far....Please do give me your ideas and thoughts also.

*The name of the little girl who inspired me of this goal. May Allah give her shifaa' and bless her parents

**Perhaps I need a better description. :?

glo
12-02-2006, 03:28 PM
Greetings Iqram

That's a lovely idea!
Can I ask you which country you live in?

Here in the UK there is a strong drive to integrate children with disabilities into the mainstream schools, with additional support as required.
Especially children with physical disabilities (rather than learning disabilities/mental handicap) often only need a little extra support to be able to keep up with their able-bodied peers - so there is no need to educate them in a separate environment.
Learning and growing up together also helps non-disabled children to understand and relate better to those with disabilities, and to become more tolerant.

Good luck with your venture! It is a very worthy cause. :)

peace

afriend
12-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Hi Glo,

I live in the UK....I know that the gov. want to integrate disabled children into mainstream.

Although, what really got to me is other children moving away, being outright rude and not being greatful for what Allah has given them, but what can you expect from little children, when they see someone different to them they're not acquainted to it, they're all innocent.

That's why I think there is a need for a specified place...That doesn't stop normal children from coming to this school. It's an academy, so the standard of education will be very high. I'd be very pleased to allow in normal, gifted children anyday.

What I don't want is discrmination of students.

Thanks for your contribution..I appreciate it :)

glo
12-02-2006, 03:53 PM
I have some input into a school for children with special needs (learning disabilites rather than purely physical disabilities)
They make a great effort to forge links with groups/schools/agencies outside the school too - so the pupils don't become isolated from the rest of society.

Children with disabilities who can be integrated into mainstream schooling from an early age on often do very well, because they just become part of the school community and their peers learn to accept the disability rather than find the disabled child 'strange'. (For example, all children in the class learn basic sign language to communicate, or learn that a wheelchair user has certain physical restrictions ...)
Children are more likely to learn and understand that we are all good at some things and not so good at others ... whether disabled or not

Usually only children who require so much support that it cannot be provided in a mainstream classroom, or children who are so far behind that they cannot keep up with the academic achievements of their peers are placed in 'special schools'.

The special school I visit at times is a lovely relaxed and cheery environment and caters for children with all kinds of needs.

I cannot help you on the Islamic side of things, but if you have questions about special schools in the UK I can try and find things out for you ...

I admire your compassion, brother :)

amirah_87
12-02-2006, 03:56 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

MashaAllah Iqram, Your going to name it after Maryam?.. That's cute!!

May Allah reward You in the Dunya And in The Aakhirah. :rose:

afriend
12-02-2006, 04:27 PM
:) Thank you Glo...I'll let you know.

May Allah reward You in the Dunya And in The Aakhirah.
Ameen...May Allah help me to keep the right intention.

Takumi
12-04-2006, 04:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
Hi Glo,

I live in the UK....I know that the gov. want to integrate disabled children into mainstream.

Although, what really got to me is other children moving away, being outright rude and not being greatful for what Allah has given them, but what can you expect from little children, when they see someone different to them they're not acquainted to it, they're all innocent.

That's why I think there is a need for a specified place...That doesn't stop normal children from coming to this school. It's an academy, so the standard of education will be very high. I'd be very pleased to allow in normal, gifted children anyday.

Salam Iqram and may Allah reward you for your noble intention.

Maybe you should be a teacher specializing in Special Education. Teaching is not easy but very rewarding. :)

anyway, these are the steps I believe you can do to promote your school.

(1) Work with existing organizations. Charity crosses boundaries of religion and race and status quo. There's no need to re invent the wheel.

(2) Get your mosque involved and if you're really into it, get Islamic Schools and local MSA's (Muslims Student Association) to provide volunteers and make helping these children as one of their activities. Remember, the raison d'etre of the prophet is as a rahmah for the worlds.

that's all that I can think of. I'm very proud of the way you think, masha Allah.

afriend
12-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Thanks bro :)

Maybe you should be a teacher specializing in Special Education. Teaching is not easy but very rewarding.
Hmmm...I'm going to be funding and helping to establish the school...So I doubt I'll be directly teaching the children. I'm still in pursuit for a career in medicine. Inshallah I hope Allah will help me and guide me through that.

Maybe in my later years, when I find some sort of stability, even after retirement (if I live that long) I might teach...But my aim is to employ special teachers who have spent a good deal in studying how to teach these children.

(1) Work with existing organizations. Charity crosses boundaries of religion and race and status quo. There's no need to re invent the wheel.
Yes, I'm definately going to take advice from other organisations with similar ideas as myself to establish an institute of my own, or rather help an existing institute with the same sort of aims...whichever is best Insha'Allah I'll try to build on it.

(2) Get your mosque involved and if you're really into it, get Islamic Schools and local MSA's (Muslims Student Association) to provide volunteers and make helping these children as one of their activities. Remember, the raison d'etre of the prophet is as a rahmah for the worlds.
Yeah, seeing as though it will be an Islamic school, it would be a great idea to have islamic schools, mosques and oraganisations, funding, helping and sponsoring this project.

I appreciate your contribution bro....Long time no talk...Get in touch soon Insha'Allah when you're not busy :)

Curious girl2
12-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Hi Glo,

I am in the UK and I have 2 disabled children. Both my children are autistic, although my daughter has other disabilities too. One thing I have found is that although with autism in particular is that although it can affect anyone, no matter what race/income/faith/whatever you are, I only know of one muslim family in my locality with an autistic child. They must exist! But I guess that they dont receive the support that non muslims get from mixing with other parents of autistic children. I am sure it would be the same situation for other disabilities too. How about something to give support to those families? Maybe having an Islamic run support service would encourage those families to seek help. Speaking from personal experience, having a disabled child can be a very isolating experience and being able to talk to other people who know just where you are coming from when you say you are having a bad day can make a world of difference.

Peace
CG

glo
12-05-2006, 07:44 AM
Do your children attent special schools, CG? Or mainstream ones?
What has been your experience?

Peace

Curious girl2
12-05-2006, 09:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Do your children attent special schools, CG? Or mainstream ones?
What has been your experience?

Peace
My son is in a special school and my daughter in mainstream. I have to say I personally prefer special schools. Though my son is in an autism specific special school. His school is just totally geared up for his type of disability. Autism can be quite a difficult disability to understand. My daughter is currently doing ok in mainstream (not brilliant but ok) but I can see the day when she will need a placement like my son has got. The problem is now that it is so hard to obtain the necessary statement of needs which gets the special school placement. The government is bent on putting all disabled kids in mainstream which for certain kids, in particular autistic kids (autism is a social, developmental and communication disorder), can be very damaging. Most of the parents of special needs children that I know, given the choice, would chose a special school over mainstream any day.

Peace CG

glo
12-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Hi CG

I agree that many children with special needs are not best placed in mainstream schools, but I guess it depends on the individual.
I know one set of parents who were adamant that their son (quite severely disabled with Down Syndrome) should attend a mainstream school. The school was not able to meet his needs (through no fault of their own, really - they just didn't ahve the necessary systems and resources in place)

How old are your children?
I must be tough for you at times!

Hi Iqram

A friend and colleague told me today that she is hoping to get a job at this special school: http://www.pacecentre.co.uk/welcome/welcome.htm
You may find their website interesting and helpful for your future plans.
:)

Curious girl2
12-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Hi CG

I agree that many children with special needs are not best placed in mainstream schools, but I guess it depends on the individual.
I know one set of parents who were adamant that their son (quite severely disabled with Down Syndrome) should attend a mainstream school. The school was not able to meet his needs (through no fault of their own, really - they just didn't ahve the necessary systems and resources in place)

How old are your children?
I must be tough for you at times!
My daughter is 5 and my son is 11. He started off in mainstream actually, but after a year we got a place in the school he is at now. He really couldnt cope in mainstream at all but has thrived in his current school. Sadly he is in his last year there and will be going to senior school next year. We are hoping to get him in an autism specific senior school.

Peace CG

afriend
12-05-2006, 06:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Curious girl2
I am in the UK and I have 2 disabled children. Both my children are autistic, although my daughter has other disabilities too. One thing I have found is that although with autism in particular is that although it can affect anyone, no matter what race/income/faith/whatever you are, I only know of one muslim family in my locality with an autistic child. They must exist! But I guess that they dont receive the support that non muslims get from mixing with other parents of autistic children. I am sure it would be the same situation for other disabilities too. How about something to give support to those families? Maybe having an Islamic run support service would encourage those families to seek help. Speaking from personal experience, having a disabled child can be a very isolating experience and being able to talk to other people who know just where you are coming from when you say you are having a bad day can make a world of difference.

Peace
CG
Subhanallah. May Allah make things easy for you and your children.

It's not easy to look after and care for disabled children. I agree with your point of feeling isolated. Insha'Allah if this goes ahead in the near future, then this is a matter that I will keep in mind, the service of an educational institute should not stop after working hours, rather, it should extend to the homes of students. I am thinking of perhaps having regular meetings with parents, giving advice and basicly just discuss issues with other parents, as well as educational programmes to help parents further. I don't think this should only be in this school, instead hopefully introduce to every school in the UK that accepts children with special needs.

To add, an aim that I have set myself is also to boost awareness in other schools about disablities. This will also help in the settling of children in other schools also.

Hi Iqram

A friend and colleague told me today that she is hoping to get a job at this special school: http://www.pacecentre.co.uk/welcome/welcome.htm
You may find their website interesting and helpful for your future plans.
:)
Oh thanks, God bless :)

I'll need to make a list of all the organisations for their help also.

soulsociety
12-05-2006, 06:07 PM

Set up something like this?
http://www.apasenth.org.uk/home.htm

afriend
12-05-2006, 06:36 PM
wow yeah something like that :)

Musaafirah
12-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Masha'allah..I admire your determination Iqram..I'd rep you, but the system tells me to spread some rep around! :muddlehea

Snowflake
12-06-2006, 12:33 PM

I came accross a girl, no older than 4 years of age, Her name was Maryam. Her right side of her face was not fully formed...I had to grab onto my mum's shoulder to stop me crying...She was such a bright child, even though he was visually impaired because of one eye, she drove the go carts better than all the other children. She was so sweet I wanted to kiss her on her head so much. I'm still thinking about the child, I don't think I will ever forget about her.

I want to do something for these sorts of children. I'm going to make that my goal. To help children with disablities such as the above and help them to unlock their potential....I was looking for this sort of a goal in life, a sadaqat jaariyah that I can do as a project in the long run.

May Allah give her mother sakeenah (peace) and give the child shifaa'...I want to have children, take care of them...Love them and in return be loved by them.

I can't do this on my own...Nor am I planning to do this over night.

Just an idea...Wondering if there's anyone out there with same interests.

SubhanAllah, I love hearing things like this.

I want to share something with you in the hope that it inspires you. I had the same intentions for years but I always thought it'd be better to first make myself financially capable. SubhanAllah I was soooo wrong.

This is what happened... I rang the mosque to ask for help for someone. I was given another number. The person I rang didnt answer but sum1 else did. It was a sister. We got talking and she told me she was here for 40 days from Pakistan. She was raising money for the charity she works for. The charity provides prosthetic limbs for disabled children and does other work for widows. This sister is a widow too and here she was all alone in the UK for the first time, going around door to door raising money. She wasn't just here in Birmingham but was travelling to other cities too.

To say I was impressed is an understatement. I realised that if I wait until I succeed in my own business, it might be too late to help others. This sister wasn't rich yet she was still achieving what many of us want to. I realised that it's possible to make things happens without a huge bank balance. And alhumdulillah I am going to take a leaf out of her book and do the same.

What you can do is set up a registered charity and start fund-raising. Or alternatively, you can find an organisation that are doing similar work and raise funds for them in the UK.

Honestly, by seeing this sister it's reinforced my belief that if we have a good intention then Allah will always help us find the way to see it through.

Don't give up bro. These are the things that make our lives worthwhile. And if there's anything I can do, please let me know.

afriend
12-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Masha'Allah. Perseverance at it's best.

I am not going to linger...As soon as I get a few obstacles out of my way I'll be onto it ASAP Insha'Allah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.