/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "I did it! I'm a Muslim now!"

Indigo
11-28-2006, 04:13 AM
Hello all!

After much study and contemplation, I am sure that I want to revert to Islam. There are a lot of changes I will have to make with my life. I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on making these changes. Is it acceptable to take it one step at a time? What are some of your experiences with this? Any insight is appreciated, especially from women.

Thanks ahead of time for your response

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
11-28-2006, 05:16 AM
Mashalah over your decision to want to revert to Islam. Keep in mind it only takes a minute become a Muslim, but it takes a lifetime to be a Muslim. Once you say the shahadah, you have returned home and are now on the path. It is not always an easy path, but Allah(swt) will never give you any trials you can not handle.

There really are no steps. It is an ongoing life process. You will never stop learning, once you make the commitment.

Before you say the shahadah, be certain that you truly desire to serve God(swt) and only God(swt). From then on your path will be obedience to Allah(swt) and nothing else in your life will be of importance.

It is not so much a learning of what to do and what not to do. It is all simple common sense. Islam is a whole life, not simply periodic episodes of worship. Each act you do will be because you wish to do it for Allah(swt)

If you truly desire to dedicate your life to serving Allah(swt) and are willing to spend the rest of your life learning what he wants of you, you are ready to say the shahadah. Just remember, there is no compulsion. Nobody will make you become Muslim and if you are making the choice to please anyone except Allah(swt) You are not ready to say the shahadah.

Ansar Al-'Adl
11-28-2006, 07:25 AM
Mashaa'Allah! (It is what God wills!) We congratulate you on your acceptance of the way of God and your choice to devote your life to earning the pleasure of your Lord, may He accept this from you. There are many many resources to help you learn about Islam; I've compiled a list here:
http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...resources.html

All you have to do to become a Muslim is repeat the following words:
Ash hadu an laa ilaaha ilal-lah wa ash hadu anna muhammadan abduhu wa rasuluhu
I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship except Allah and I beart witness that Muhammad is His servant and final Messenger.

If you repeat these words here (just copy and paste!), God-willingly all of the members of the forum will be able to congratulate you and make du'aa (suupplicate to God) that Allah continues to shower you with His Mercy and Guidance.

Regards

lyesh
11-28-2006, 07:41 AM
wow! thts good news! if u need any help in anything just ask me! :D or pm me :okay:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
mohammed farah
11-28-2006, 08:45 AM
mashalla'allah.if you are lookin for lectures or interview or documanteries or video clips on how to pray just ask anyone of us

IbnAbdulHakim
11-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Praise be to Allah swt who has shed the light of guidance in your heart sister.

I just wanted to say after the brilliant advice above that sister even though it may seem very difficult i promise you that Allah swt will be your supporter in this and what could be greater then having the creator and sustainer as our supporter? Sis a beautiful islamic saying is:

"If the kings and rulers but knew the pleasure we get from our prostrations they would take up arms to rob it from us"

Sis you will definitly be making a profitable trade and i promise you, everything you give up for the sake of Allah swt will be replaced with something better.

I pray that Allah makes your reversion easy sister and i pray that you dont waste time in this great matter, we arent promised that we'll live even the next second so before our last breath lets make sure we're upon the truth.

Peace and blessings!!

zaria
11-28-2006, 06:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Indigo
Hello all!

After much study and contemplation, I am sure that I want to revert to Islam. There are a lot of changes I will have to make with my life. I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on making these changes. Is it acceptable to take it one step at a time? What are some of your experiences with this? Any insight is appreciated, especially from women.

MashaAllah and UmukaAllah,
jsut continue to study. The best thing about this religion, you can never know it all so you have your entire life to learne it and may you get all the knowlegde and support you need to continue to serve Allah:happy:

Salaam

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-29-2006, 01:05 AM
MashAllah sis. If this is something you truly wish and willing to do it for the sake of Allah, I congratulate you on ur willing to accept, God Willing :)
When you r truly ready, lest us know. We all make dua for u :)
Peace!

YusufNoor
11-29-2006, 02:10 AM
Hello all!

:sl:

Asalaamu Alaykum Sister,

May Allah(SWT) guide you and stengthen you!

i recommend you seek out a local masaajid and find out if the Imam or his wife can assign you a mentor.

good luck with prayer times! i live in Seattle and winter is nuts!

i recommend a Qur'an with English translation cd/tape. no matter how great you thought Islam is, actually hearing the Qur'an and understanding it is simply a thing of beauty; not only in it's simplicity and beauty but it is also outstanding in it's logic.

follow the links that others have provided. the brothers and sisters here really know their stuff.

btw, i "reverted" 8 months ago!

so, hopefully, and Insha'Allah, welcome to the family!!

Yusuf

learningislam
11-29-2006, 08:43 AM
Hello all!

hi indigo,
MashAllah...i am really glad, that you reached the decision yourself. May Allah Almighty make it easy for you....and keep you firm on islam always..ameen.

If you need any help.......feel free to pm.
:wasalamex

matobosha
11-29-2006, 10:20 AM
Indigo,

It is nice to note that you seem to be ready to join us .
Allah says he gudes whom he wishes and leave who he does not want to guide.
So first and foremost you should be proud and thank Allah for having guide to see the light,they are many like you who even after reading will not be convinced that Islam is the right religion.
Definitely there will be some difficulties with your inter relation with your family and friends but these are normally sorted out with time..the initial rejection will fade once the see your character as a muslim builds up.
It will be good also to talk to ladies who went through a similar process they may be a better help because they have seen it before and will know the best way forward.
I take this opportunity to wish you all the best.

asmoore84
12-02-2006, 09:08 PM
The idea of seeking a mentor was a great one! Who among us could not use a little more guidance?

I was wondering, where can I get an audio copy of the Qu'ran? I would very much like to listen, maybe when I am driving home from work. Would be better than the silence! (I know most would say the radio is haraam, and even as a non-muslim, I would agree, who really wants to listen to the corrupt trash they put out?)

Indigo
12-05-2006, 02:24 PM
I am in the process of telling family and friends. In some areas it is going very well. My mom wants to read qur'an now, but in other areas, it is worse. The person I am engaged to does not want me to wear hijab. (I might not wear it to start with, but plan on wearing it shortly after.) When I do revert, I will have support here in town hopefully.

I

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-05-2006, 10:50 PM
MashAllah sis, thats great. Do it for the sake of Allah, InshAllah :)
May Allah keep you guided :)

UmmSqueakster
12-06-2006, 01:30 AM
Welcome to Islam! The process of converting is never over it seems. You'll be known as a convert even after being muslim for 5+ years ;)

The best advice I wish I'd gotten when I converted can be found here. Establish your salah! Make it a habit. Once you've structured your day around worship of the Almighty, everything else can fall into place (over time of course). The way I learned salat is online here, and an excellent little demo program is here.

Once you're out of limited member status, please feel free to pm for a chat.

habiibti
12-06-2006, 05:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by asmoore84
The idea of seeking a mentor was a great one! Who among us could not use a little more guidance?

I was wondering, where can I get an audio copy of the Qu'ran? I would very much like to listen, maybe when I am driving home from work. Would be better than the silence! (I know most would say the radio is haraam, and even as a non-muslim, I would agree, who really wants to listen to the corrupt trash they put out?)

Assalau aleikum. i think u can try ur local islamic shops or u can drop in any mosque and ask a muslim to help i am sure they will be really helpful or u can find them online for free and burn a cd there are many sites whih have downloadable quran u can try here www.islamweb.com.

(sorry to da mods,i had no intention of doing a free posting,i had to answer that question):hiding:

indigo,u r in ma prayers as u take this journey ahead of u.may Allah make it easy for u.I get inspired when i read of people changing their whole life,masha Allah,just shows how Allah guides whom He chooses.

Indigo
12-07-2006, 01:39 AM
Yes, prayer is my number one priority. Friday, I will be going to the Islamic center, and hopefully, will be able to set a time to learn prayers. I don't think I will ever be out of "limited" status..I read a lot of posts here, but rarely have anything worth saying...LOL

Thanks all, and I will keep you posted....

YusufNoor
12-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Yes, prayer is my number one priority. Friday, I will be going to the Islamic center, and hopefully, will be able to set a time to learn prayers. I don't think I will ever be out of "limited" status..I read a lot of posts here, but rarely have anything worth saying...LOL

Thanks all, and I will keep you posted....
Assalamu Alaikum Sis!

in life, we're all of "limited" status! ;)

btw, welcome to the family!

May Allah(SWT) guide you and strengthen you and may He not test to beyond your limits. May He also guide those that you love and may He grant you the sweetest home in Jannah! Ameen!

Alaska right? brrrrrrrrr!

Wasalaam,

:w:

Yusuf

- Qatada -
12-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Hey. :)

Here are some good links to download Qur'an from:

Qur'an in Arabic and English [Audio - verse by verse translation]
http://sabbir.com/DownloadHalal.html

Sa'ad Al-Ghamdi Recitations (Beautiful masha'Allah)
http://quran.jalisi.com/

More can be found of his by going down the page [with audio english translation]:
http://kalamullah.com/quran.html

Tawfique as-Sayegh also has beautiful Recitations:
http://audio.islamicnetwork.com/quran.php?reciterId=23

Many more can also be found here insha'Allah:
http://audo.islamicnetwork.com/

Peace.

zaria
12-07-2006, 06:53 PM
Alhamduillah

This is your salvation
MasahaAllah,

Indigo
12-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Alright guys, today is the day. I will say shahada before Friday prayers. Probably by the time you read this, I will be muslim. :happy:

- Qatada -
12-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Masha'Allaah thats kool! Tell us when you do it, you can even create a new thread if your post doesn't show up after you've posted up.

All you gota recite is:

Ash hadu an laaa ilaaha illAllaah, Muhammadur - RasoolAllaah.

[I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah & Muhammad (peace be upon him) is the Messenger of Allaah.]

Look forward to your response! :)

Peace.

Woodrow
12-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Welcome Home Sister. I am preparing to go to the Masjid here now. I wont be back in time to see your post about your Shahadah, But I do want to welcome you back to Islam. You will now know what is meant wwhen a revert says to revert is not converting, it is being what you truly are.

Al-Zaara
12-08-2006, 06:13 PM

Masha'Allah!! :wub:

Welcome to Islam, or actually, welcome home!
I pray for your best, that Allah (swt) always keeps your imaan high and guides you through tough times. :)

Ameen to all the duas. :happy:

Mawaddah
12-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Allahu Akbar Sis!! :wub: May Allah keep your Iman strong at all times Insha'allah Ameen.

Subhanallah! After saying the Shahadah you will be as pure from sins as a newborn baby! :'(

YusufNoor
12-09-2006, 12:00 AM
:salamext:

Assalamu alaykum wa'rahma-tullahi, wa'barakatahu,

Allahu Akbar! i hope you made there Sister! Welcome back into the fold!

May Allah(SWT) strengthen you and assist you in aquiring all that you need!

Wasalaam,

:wasalamex

Yusuf

Curious girl2
12-09-2006, 12:08 AM
Hello all!

Salam Indigo,

As a new muslim myself (less than 2 weeks!) I know how you are feeling! My journey to Islam took a long time, many years. But over the last few months I learned more and more and started to apply it to my life. I learned how to pray, how to do wudu, started eating halal food, my dress style changed and I was more thoughtful of what I was wearing etc. Eventually I joined a reverts and interested class as my masjid and started wearing hijab, out of respect really, but once I had put it on I found I didnt want to take it off! Then I said my Shahadah and it was the happiest day of my life. So I guess I did take it step by step. I was more or less gradually living as a muslim by the time I said my Shahada. If that is what you feel comfortable with then do it step by step.

Peace
CG

Indigo
12-09-2006, 04:57 AM
I did it! I'm muslim now! :) I was so nervous for nothing too! It was so simple. I was in the sisters' area of masjid, feeling so uncomfortable and the brother I have been emailing about saying shahada came to enterance and helped me with the words. A sister there gave me a hug and welcomed me and gave me her phone number so I can call her. I felt better after that. She said she would help me learn prayers and Qur'an and other things I should know. I wore my hijab and my improv outfit all day. It was actually quite nice!

Ansar Al-'Adl
12-09-2006, 05:34 AM
Allahu Akbar (God is the Greatest!) May Allah - Glorified and Exalted is He - continue to guide you on the straight path and make you amongst those whom He loves!

:sl: dear brothers and sisters,
Please welcome your new sister in Islam!

Skillganon
12-09-2006, 05:41 AM
Takbir: "Allahu Akbhar"

May Allah(swt) keep you in the straight, true path and his guidance be with you.
Why did no one tell me earlier?

Malaikah
12-09-2006, 05:54 AM

^ameen!

Allahu akbar! Congratulations!! :D

Asyur an-Nagi
12-09-2006, 06:02 AM
Hello all!

whoaaa....!!! welcome to the light. be afraid of nothin. since Allah stands with you and we are here to help:)

Umu 'Isa
12-09-2006, 06:24 AM
Allahu akbar!

Welcome to islam dear sister, may Allah keep you firm on the deen. Ameen

:wub:

Rabiyal
12-09-2006, 06:28 AM
MashaAllah Sis!!! Welcome to Islam, if you need any help ask away!!! :)

Umm Yoosuf
12-09-2006, 07:43 AM
Masha Allah.

Allahu Akbar!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Islam dearest sister :)

BlissfullyJaded
12-09-2006, 07:53 AM

Alhamdulillah! Thats wonderful news. Welcome to Islam dear sis. :wub:

Naheezah
12-09-2006, 07:58 AM
Allahu akbar!
May Allah(swt) guides u 2 da ryte path alwez!!

syilla
12-09-2006, 08:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rahmah
Allahu akbar!

Welcome to islam dear sister, may Allah keep you firm on the deen. Ameen

:wub:
Ameen....

MashaAllah....congratulations.

:happy:

------
12-09-2006, 08:13 AM

:welcome: to Islam sis! If u need any help, plz ask!

:w:

amirah_87
12-09-2006, 10:46 AM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

Welcome to Islam Ukhtiy, Praise be To Allah, He Who has Guided You, May He Keep you firm upon the deen InshaAllah.

- if you don't mind me asking sis; Where do you live?

Take Care :rose:

Muhammad
12-09-2006, 11:03 AM

Masha'Allaah, congratulations on your reversion to Islam!

All praise is due to Allaah who guided you unto this path!

May He bestow much knowledge and faith into your heart, Aameen.

Curious girl2
12-09-2006, 11:34 AM
I did it! I'm muslim now! :) I was so nervous for nothing too! It was so simple. I was in the sisters' area of masjid, feeling so uncomfortable and the brother I have been emailing about saying shahada came to enterance and helped me with the words. A sister there gave me a hug and welcomed me and gave me her phone number so I can call her. I felt better after that. She said she would help me learn prayers and Qur'an and other things I should know. I wore my hijab and my improv outfit all day. It was actually quite nice!
One of the sisters at the masjid gave me a hijab and an Arabic Qu'ran as a sort of welcome to Islam present. Its an amazing feelign isnt it? So much to learn but I feel so positive about the future and not a bit daunted!

Peace CG

- Qatada -
12-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Asalaamu 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Masha'Allaah thats well kool! may Allaah keep us firm on the straight path forever.. ameen.

Angelzz
12-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Allahu Akhbar
welcome to Islam sis

Im a fairly new revert myself - if you need any help or have questions dont hesitate to contact me or ask any questions - everyone on LI is exceptional in helping and keeping u strong and ur iman firm.

Snowflake
12-09-2006, 01:14 PM
MashaAllah! May Allah always keep you guided on the right path. Ameen. Congratulations & hugz Indigo sis :) :) :)

IbnAbdulHakim
12-09-2006, 01:24 PM

mashaAllah, welcome to islam, jus keep prayin to Allah and inshaAllah Allah will help you in every step.

:welcome: to islam

Pk_#2
12-09-2006, 01:45 PM
AsalamuAlaykum,

Alhamdhulilah,

welcome to Islam!!!

:)

SATalha
12-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Thats the best news i have heard all week. Thanks to Alllah (SWT). The best advice i can give you is study the Prophet and his early followers, look how they lived their lives in so much peace. Salam

Umm Safiya
12-09-2006, 02:30 PM

Masha Allâh wa tabârak Allâh.. Welcome to Islâm.. :wub:
May Allâh always guide you and keep you on the straight path and give you strength to overcome any difficulty you may face in this life long struggle, amîn..

Don't hesitate to ask any question on the forum or PM's.. :)

:thankyou:

Hisbul_Aziz
12-09-2006, 02:44 PM
الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي أَحْيَانَا بَعْدَ مَا أَمَاتَنَا وَإِلَيْهِ النُّشُورُ
Praise be to Allah Who gives us life after He has caused us to die and unto Him if the Return
Upon waking up

Kittygyal
12-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Assalmualikum Warhmathullahi Warbarakathuhu

Amin to all thy Du3'ahs && May Allah 3ubhanwatallah be with you && bless you inshallah :), very nice to hear when someone has came to thy right path 3ubhanallah. myself has reverted to Islam aswel :wub:

Ma'assalama

Hijaabi22
12-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Hello all!

WOWWWWWWWWWWWW MASHAALLLAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Dat is the best news me heard all day, BIIG UP 2 U GURL!! CongratZ!

nutty
12-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Allahu Akbar - this is the best news I had today. I felt so light when I ws reading your post.

Mashallah sister welcome to the family - Allah SWT guides who He will

Allahu Akbar

Indigo
12-10-2006, 02:42 AM
I'm in Alaska

Woodrow
12-10-2006, 02:57 AM
Are you close to Fairbanks or Anchorage? I know there is at least one Masjid in each of those cities. There should be some in Juneau also.

Here is some info that may be of help to you.

Ar-Rashid Mosque
1315 Latouche#A
Anchorage, AK
Phone: 907-258-2951
Islamic Center Of Alaska Masjid Building Fund (1/95)
4141 Ingra Street, Suite 202
Anchorage, AK
Phone: 907-562-4241
Notes: FUNDRAISING
Islamic Society of Alaska (Fairbanks) (8/97)
PO Box 35362
Ft. Wainwright, AK
Phone: 907-356-1574
Fax: 907-356-1574

Khattab
12-10-2006, 03:00 AM
Alhamdulillah, may Allah (SWT) keep you steadfast upon the deen and make you an inhertor of Al Jannah Al Firdous, ameen.

sister_fatimah
12-10-2006, 04:26 AM
As salaamu 'alaykum sis !!!!

Welcome to the best ummah

May Allah bless u and guide u always

wow , I din't know that there are muslims in Alaska , masha Allah

Im so happy for u :loving:

north_malaysian
12-11-2006, 05:37 AM

[BANANA]TAHNIAH!!!
(CONGRATULATIONS!!!)[/BANANA]

SATalha
12-11-2006, 01:56 PM
I'm in Alaska
Is Alaska as cold as London. LOL I know it is.

Nuseyba bintkab
12-12-2006, 11:08 AM
welcome to islam;D ;D

aamirsaab
12-12-2006, 02:12 PM
:sl: and welcome the forum Indigo.

Don't worry about doing everything at once. Majority of the muslims I know, myself included, have still so much left to achieve and accomplish. Inshallah, Allah will make it easy for you and heck, you could very well end up teaching other muslims and non-muslims a thing or two about Islam :D.

matobosha
12-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Congratulation Indigo....I know most reverts get problems to fit in within their circles....by advice is take it slowly,read a lot and pray to Allah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.