/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hoping Nobody Kills the Pope in Turkey

GARY
11-28-2006, 06:24 AM
As much as many muslims dislike the current pope, I would hope that all would feel the same way that I do about him returning safely from Turkey. Aside from the obvious reason that violence sucks ( yes, it's true), it also would be very bad for muslims, and everyone else.
His upcoming trip to visit the catholic church in turkey, is a very dangerous trip for him. And it could be disasterous. If a muslim in Turkey kills the pope, there is no doubt there will be serious consequences. No doubt there would be serious outbreaks of violence. He would instantly be viewed as a martyr.

Let's all hope he has a safe trip.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
11-28-2006, 07:12 AM
Maybe the current pope should kiss a Koran in Turkey. Then the worldwide Muslims would say "We love this Pope"

GARY
11-28-2006, 07:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Maybe the current pope should kiss a Koran in Turkey. Then the worldwide Muslims would say "We love this Pope"
That would help, some would forgive. Perhaps not all. There is much security being organized for the trip. This link has some info.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...26/wpope26.xml

Malaikah
11-28-2006, 07:19 AM
:sl:

What?! He cant even touch it without wudu!! lol how is that meant to help?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
11-28-2006, 05:17 PM
Of course he will have a safe trip. There is danger, as there is when any religious VIP travels, but I'm sure his security will be excellent as it should be.

Why exactly was this thread started in the first place?

Eric H
11-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Greetings and peace to you Gary,

I like the story of Pope John Paul when advised about security and travelling to other countries.

He said something like, I have only been shot in Rome so why should I fear going to other countries.

Coincidently the pope was shot by a Turkish man just before he was due to visit Turkey.
However there was no major backlash against Turkey because of this incident
The Pope later publicly forgave the man who shot him and even visited him in prison. In June 2000, with the agreement of the Pope himself, the gunman was pardoned by the Italian president after serving 19 years.

I would hope that nothing happens to the pope but I would also hope for signs of forgiveness if anything did happen to him in Turkey.

In the spirit of praying for greater interfaith relations

Eric

Keltoi
11-28-2006, 10:08 PM
I doubt anything will happen to Pope Benedict in Turkey. There is alot of uproar, but threats and protests aren't the same as actually murdering a pope. I realize it has been attempted before by a Turk, but I'm sure the Turkish authorities have security well in hand

FBI
11-28-2006, 11:10 PM

I too hope no one tries anything I mean it'd start a war between christians and muslims, well not a war but it'd cause even more devisions and extrimists on both sides will use it to their advantage.

lavikor201
11-28-2006, 11:12 PM
there is no doubt there will be serious consequences.
Like what? Billions of Christians rising up to become martyrs in his name? It would be like extremist islam was fighting its mirror image.

Keltoi
11-28-2006, 11:16 PM
If Pope Benedict was killed, there wouldn't be a large Christian backlash against Muslims. Primarly because a large number of Christians have no loyalty to the Pope at all, being Protestant instead of Catholic.

lavikor201
11-28-2006, 11:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
If Pope Benedict was killed, there wouldn't be a large Christian backlash against Muslims. Primarly because a large number of Christians have no loyalty to the Pope at all, being Protestant instead of Catholic.
As of 2000, the world Catholic population was:

Africa: 130,018,400
America: 519,391,300
Asia: 107,302,000
Europe: 280,144,200
Oceania: 8,202,200
World Total: 1,045,058,100

Enough said.

Keltoi
11-29-2006, 02:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lavikor201
As of 2000, the world Catholic population was:

Africa: 130,018,400
America: 519,391,300
Asia: 107,302,000
Europe: 280,144,200
Oceania: 8,202,200
World Total: 1,045,058,100

Enough said.
You're right, I was thinking about American Christians and I should have thought more broadly. I would hope no matter what their numbers it wouldn't spiral into violence.

GARY
11-29-2006, 03:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Why exactly was this thread started in the first place?
In response to media coverage of death threats on the pope. Doesn't anyone else pay attention to the news?

It is noteworthy that Mehmet Ali Agca (attempted to kill Pope John Paul II) warned Pope Benedict that his life was in danger if he came to Turkey.
Already, the 1981 would-be assassin of Pope John Paul II, Mehmet Ali Agca — back in prison after being briefly released this year — has warned the pontiff that someone will try to kill him.
a couple of the headlines;
Papal assassin warns Pope Benedict his 'life is in danger' if he visits Turkey
Pope death threats put Turkey on high alert
Television news also reported this on CNN and CBC, and if I remember correctly, also BBC.

This is the link to the story that reported the warning from Mehmet Ali Agca. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...26/wpope26.xml

north_malaysian
11-29-2006, 04:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by GARY
In response to media coverage of death threats on the pope. Doesn't anyone else pay attention to the news?

It is noteworthy that Mehmet Ali Agca (attempted to kill Pope John Paul II) warned Pope Benedict that his life was in danger if he came to Turkey.

a couple of the headlines;
Television news also reported this on CNN and CBC, and if I remember correctly, also BBC.

This is the link to the story that reported the warning from Mehmet Ali Agca. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...26/wpope26.xml
Mehmet Ali agca is not a Muslim because he proclaimed himself as Jesus the Messiah.+o(

north_malaysian
11-29-2006, 04:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

What?! He cant even touch it without wudu!! lol how is that meant to help?
Pope John Paul II did that, and many Muslims attended his funeral too...

He's a friend... a good friend of Muslims.

GARY
11-29-2006, 05:02 AM
Mehmet Ali agca is not a Muslim because he proclaimed himself as Jesus the Messiah.+o(
I think you have misunderstood. Mehmet Ali Agca did not threaten the current pope, he simply warned him that he would be in danger. Also, I did not say that he was a muslim.

north_malaysian
11-29-2006, 06:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by GARY
I think you have misunderstood. Mehmet Ali Agca did not threaten the current pope, he simply warned him that he would be in danger. Also, I did not say that he was a muslim.
He is mentally impaired... for sure!!!:okay:

IzakHalevas
11-29-2006, 10:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by H@fiz Aziz
1.8bil muslims =]
I think the 1.1 Billion Catholics have a lot more technology at there disposal.

But I dont even want to imagine the amount of violence that would occur if the pope was killed.

Goku
11-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Even though the Pope did say unwise things, I hope he returns to his home safe and sound.

Was he a Christian or an ex-Muslim? He claimed to be Isa bin Maryam....:muddlehea ^o) :confused:

north_malaysian
11-30-2006, 04:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Goku
Even though the Pope did say unwise things, I hope he returns to his home safe and sound.

Was he a Christian or an ex-Muslim? He claimed to be Isa bin Maryam....:muddlehea ^o) :confused:
Ex-Muslim? Allah Aalem..

Goku
11-30-2006, 04:35 AM
Ex-Muslim? Allah Aalem..
Well if he claimed to be Isa bin Maryam (peace be upon him and his mother) then I assume he may have been an adherant of an Abrahamic Faith beforehand.

But yea Allahu Alam- Allah knows best.

dostpost
11-30-2006, 07:55 PM
i am from Turkey and i dont think so. Pope is in safety in Turkey. there is no place like Turkey where all religions live in peace. all people (muslims, christians...) are equal and there is no distinction.

north_malaysian
12-01-2006, 01:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mustklc
i am from Turkey and i dont think so. Pope is in safety in Turkey. there is no place like Turkey where all religions live in peace. all people (muslims, christians...) are equal and there is no distinction.
But why some Kurds are not satisfied?:(

Tania
12-01-2006, 10:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
but I'm sure the Turkish authorities have security well in hand
I saw yesterday few minutes when the Pope kissed the Bible and in church were only few men well known for the priest. I think they were picked up strictly, because the ordinary people were listening the sermon outside from the church

smile
12-01-2006, 11:14 AM
i don't know why but to me the pope looks evil

I prefered Pope John Paul 2

Keltoi
12-01-2006, 04:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by smile

lol..me too. However, there is nothing "evil" about Pope Benedict, its just that he spent the majority of his life as a scholar, primarily in the field of geology. He doesn't have the charisma that John Paul possessed.

dostpost
12-01-2006, 08:54 PM
But why some Kurds are not satisfied?:(

yes some kurds are not satisfied, kurds who live in iraq and other countries. NOT TURKEY. For example, my girl friend is Kurd and i am Turk. she loves her home (Turkey) as much as me. She hates europe as much as me .;D we are speaking in Turkish each other. we have no problem. (i love her very much:love: ) there are a lot of couples like us. there are a lot of friendships between of them

there is no distinction like kurd- turk.This distinction exists in the brains of the europiens. because they think differently. Europe has different ideal from rest of the world : emperialism.

so, dont think so.

good luck everbody :thankyou:

Tania
12-01-2006, 09:18 PM
If i heard correctly in the news the Pope has left Turkey

north_malaysian
12-04-2006, 03:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by smile

He dont have "evil' looks. He just have "serious" looks. Pope John Paul II has a "friendly" looks.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.