/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Doctors getting handwriting classes :D

lolwatever
11-28-2006, 09:14 AM
:sl:

I wish i was a doc now :D they get free handwriting classes :D

Last year, a Texas jury ordered a doctor, drugstore and pharmacist to pay $450,000 to the family of a man who died after the pharmacist misread the doctor's handwritten prescription.
well maybe not :offended:

------

The write stuff: Hospitals resort to penmanship classes for doctors

ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey (AP) -- He's a veteran physician who works as a trauma surgeon. Just don't ask Dr. Sheldon Brotman to write a legible prescription.

That's why he's here, sitting in a handwriting class at Atlantic City Medical Center, learning how to hold his pen, position his paper and put a sharp angle on his "z" so it doesn't look like an "s."
"My signature is always a problem down at the pharmacy," Brotman said.

Long winked at as a harmless peccadillo, poor penmanship among health care providers is increasingly being diagnosed as a threat to patients.

Now, some of them are being sent back to school in hopes of eliminating the illegible. Such chicken scratch can become a prescription for tragedy.
Experts say up to 25 percent of medication errors may be related to illegible handwriting: A pharmacist misreads an illegible prescription, one drug is mixed up with another.

Last year, a Texas jury ordered a doctor, drugstore and pharmacist to pay $450,000 to the family of a man who died after the pharmacist misread the doctor's handwritten prescription.

Also last year the Institute of Medicine, an arm of the National Academy of Sciences, reported that medical mistakes overall -- including those stemming from unreadable notes from doctors -- may cause up to 98,000 deaths a year in the United States. Other researchers later termed those numbers exaggerated, but the authors stood by their report.

"It's no longer a laughing matter," handwriting expert Barbara Getty said. "If an accountant makes a mistake, someone loses some money. But with a doctor, it can cost someone their life."

Getty and partner Inga Dubay, who together have authored 10 books on handwriting, received rave reviews for their three-hour course at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles in May. That course triggered a flurry of invitations from hospitals eager to cut handwriting-related mistakes and the liabilities they cause.

It's a decidedly low-tech approach for a high-tech industry: With workbooks, pencils and rulers in hand, more than 40 doctors, nurses and pharmacists crowded into a conference room at Atlantic City Medical Center on Monday to unlearn the "looping cursive" they learned as schoolchildren.

"You must open up your '4' or it will look like a '9,"' Getty warned at one point.

Later, emphasizing the need to relax their grips, she said: "We only have one commandment in here: Thou shalt not pinch."

Brotman, who remembers as a sixth-grader being told by the principal that he wouldn't graduate if his penmanship didn't improve, said he hoped the course would help him.

But experts say such training -- while a good idea -- is no cure-all for errors.
"There will still be many prescriptions given over the phone or orally to a nurse or pharmacist. These will be misheard, misinterpreted, mistranscribed," said pharmacist Mike Cohen of the nonprofit Institute for Safe Medication Practices.

Charles Inlander, president of the nonprofit People's Medical Society, agreed.
"It's good they're doing a seminar, but I'm surprised they're not going with automated bedside and hand-held computers, which cut the errors by up to 50 percent," Inlander said. Such devices require doctors and others to type orders into a computer system.

Getty and Dubay, meanwhile, are struggling to keep up with demand. They are booked to teach courses in hospitals in Indiana, California, Oregon and elsewhere.

Why the sudden interest?

"They're finding out they're being sued," Getty said.
Source

My thoughts: Alhamdulilah engineers submit computer models that get pre-simulated, nothing to do with handwriting :statisfie

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
11-28-2006, 09:43 AM
doctors need scribes !! :offended:

lolwatever
11-28-2006, 09:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
doctors need scribes !! :offended:
so do i :offended:

IbnAbdulHakim
11-28-2006, 09:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
so do i :offended:
same here :offended:

well im not going to be a doctors anyway, maybe write some handwritten books, do you think not being able to read a book makes it more mysterious therefore resulting in more sales? :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
11-28-2006, 09:46 AM
maybe doctors should type the prescriptions and print it...

IbnAbdulHakim
11-28-2006, 09:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
maybe doctors should type the prescriptions and print it...
my ones do, lol and even if they didnt and i couldnt read it i'd double check with EVERYTHING lol, i would make sure i know which medication is prescribed for me !

Malaikah
11-28-2006, 09:50 AM

Seriously but i dont get what their problem is? :? Why cant they just write.

I've got three freinds doing pharmacy, they have to deal with all this. ;D

lolwatever
11-28-2006, 09:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

Seriously but i dont get what their problem is? :? Why cant they just write.

I've got three freinds doing pharmacy, they have to deal with all this. ;D

ur chem teacher xplained xaclty y.

"scribble scribble mate scribble .....

Hands cant catchup with their minds :uuh: "

:w:

north_malaysian
11-28-2006, 09:53 AM
my ones do
At least, there's one doctor who USE I.T. Where does he live?:uuh:

Pk_#2
Yeah my doc, got the worlds messiest ryting its just like lines dots n swirls, no joke, i feel sorry for the pharmacist who gotta figure out what they gotta prescribe for the patients LOL

Peace y'all!

north_malaysian
Hands cant catchup with their minds :uuh:

:uuh: :uuh: :uuh: :uuh: :uuh:

Pk_#2
11-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Hey the nurses use the pc, n print it off wen he at hols :)

yay!!

Horay for the nurses!

Pk_#2
11-28-2006, 09:55 AM

ur chem teacher xplained xaclty y.

Hands cant catchup with their minds :uuh:

weird. :rollseyes

IbnAbdulHakim
11-28-2006, 09:57 AM
south london where you get shot on the spot if you give wrong medication or right medication which hurts ;D

naa honestly we got around 3 local surgeries and they all use computerised printed prescriptions Alhamdulillaah

north_malaysian
11-28-2006, 10:00 AM
south london where you get shot on the spot if you give wrong medication or right medication which hurts ;D

naa honestly we got around 3 local surgeries and they all use computerised printed prescriptions Alhamdulillaah
I should send letters to the daily newspapers, to tell the whole nation, that printing of prescriptions should be made OBLIGATORY

IbnAbdulHakim
11-28-2006, 10:02 AM
I should send letters to the daily newspapers, to tell the whole nation, that printing of prescriptions should be made OBLIGATORY
and i shall gladly watch you do it :), very gladly

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.