/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Praying in trousers

Fishman
11-28-2006, 05:13 PM
:sl:
I know I have asked this before, but I did not get a practical response about it. It's about a hadith which says that we can't wear trousers when praying unless we have an izar or thobe or something hanging over them. My parents don't want me to start wearing Asian or Arab stuff, and, as I said before, there are a lot of chavvy people around where I live that would at the least shout abuse at me.

I can't keep something in my bag and put it on when I pray, that approach just doesn't work.

I know I have asked similar questions before, but this is simply because problem issues have shrunk down to three things:
  • Islamic clothes
  • trimming pubes (people think you are gay if you do that)
  • Not having a proper Quran teacher (or any Islamic teachers)
  • People not recognising I that I am a Muslim
If you want to answer these things too, go ahead...
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umm Yoosuf
11-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Wa Alaikumussalaam Wa Rahmatulaah

a hadith which says that we can't wear trousers when praying unless we have an izar or thobe or something hanging over them.
I never knew that! Can you post the full hadith please.

I can't keep something in my bag and put it on when I pray, that approach just doesn't work.
Why not?

Fishman
11-28-2006, 06:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah
Wa Alaikumussalaam Wa Rahmatulaah

I never knew that! Can you post the full hadith please.

Why not?
The site address is here:
http://www.zawaj.com/articles/mendress_mistakes.html
I don't know whether what it says about this hadith is an actual quotation or just what how the site describes the hadith.

I can't keep one in my bag because that would involve deciving my parents, which would make the situation worse.

rubiesand
11-28-2006, 06:21 PM
wa alaikum assalam,

format_quote Originally Posted by fishman
trimming pubes: people think you are gay if you do that
But who is going to know what you shave or what you don't shave of your awrah? You don't have to tell anyone. And nobody is going to see. So.. I'm not sure why this particular issue is a problem for you?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Fishman
11-28-2006, 06:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rubiesand
wa alaikum assalam,

But who is going to know what you shave or what you don't shave of your awrah? You don't have to tell anyone. And nobody is going to see. So.. I'm not sure why this particular issue is a problem for you?
Yes, but my parents are eventually going to find out.

chacha_jalebi
11-28-2006, 07:25 PM
1st of all, mashallah bro 4 ur efforts :D:D i hope Allah (swt) rewards ya propa :D

format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
  • Islamic clothes

islamic clothes, you dont have to wear them :D because as you say its difficult for you, as long as your awrah is covered then woo hoo, prayin in jeans or trousers, as you said its difficult for you to carry another item of clothin, then thats fine, many of the stuff you read of the net, is opinion of someone and not actual facts :D so i would say its fine for your circumstances :D

trimming hair, its sunnah so yesh and no one will know :p cos your not gona have a convo with someone sayin "o yeh last nite i was trimmin my pubes" :p lol so no one will know :D and its sunnah :D

not having a propa teacher - inshallah try to learn yourself, get one of them transliteration qurans, they are reaaaal goood bro :D

people not recognisin you are a muslim, hmmm wear the islamic hat and if you cant do that, then bro wait until you can grow a beard :D, cos as long as Allah (swt) recognises you then its woo hoo :D thats all dat matters :D:D:D

hope i helped

Kittygyal
11-28-2006, 07:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
1st of all, mashallah bro 4 ur efforts :D:D i hope Allah (swt) rewards ya propa :D

islamic clothes, you dont have to wear them :D because as you say its difficult for you, as long as your awrah is covered then woo hoo, prayin in jeans or trousers, as you said its difficult for you to carry another item of clothin, then thats fine, many of the stuff you read of the net, is opinion of someone and not actual facts :D so i would say its fine for your circumstances :D

trimming hair, its sunnah so yesh and no one will know :p cos your not gona have a convo with someone sayin "o yeh last nite i was trimmin my pubes" :p lol so no one will know :D and its sunnah :D

not having a propa teacher - inshallah try to learn yourself, get one of them transliteration qurans, they are reaaaal goood bro :D

people not recognisin you are a muslim, hmmm wear the islamic hat and if you cant do that, then bro wait until you can grow a beard :D, cos as long as Allah (swt) recognises you then its woo hoo :D thats all dat matters :D:D:D

hope i helped
Assalmualikum warhmathullahi warbarakathuhu

mashallah good stuff there rep goes out for you && Fishy Akhi for trying so hard :), && A3min thumma A3min Ya Rabil Alameen.

was hard to read Akhi but got there at thy end :X

do me a favour remember me in your Du3'ah, shukran!

walikumasslam warhmathullahi warbarakathuhu

Umar001
11-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Assalamu aleykum Wa Rhametulah,

• Islamic clothes
  • *You don't have to wear 'Arab or Asian' Clothe,s when time for Salah comes, since your going to be bending over alot you might expose the aw'rah so you just take your jumper off, or have a spare one already around your waist, and place it appropiatly. I cant wear thobe and other clothes cos my mom would not let me, so I do this and keep the thing around my waist all the time!!
    *Noone needs to know that you shave, Islam teaches us to have modesty, so unless your disabled or your two or something your parents nor noone else but your wife or what your right hand posses should really be seeing your aw'rah, at home you should have respectable clothing with covers you. I don't see how your parents would see you naked.
    *The teacher thing well alot of us have that problem
    *I am sure some people recognise you as a Muslim, if some don't then thats nothing to worry about since alot of us aint seen as Muslims and some of us are from Muslim countries!!

Your brother Eesa.

Umar001
11-28-2006, 08:05 PM
assalamu aleykum brother,

I'd love to see your reaction to a sister who said that she prays in jeans, the link the brother posted shows the mind state of many Muslims, not you in particular bro,

It is surprising to find many young Muslims taking exception to ladies wearing tight clothes since they cling to their bodies, yet these young men are forgetting about themselves. There is no difference between a lady wearing tight clothes which press against her body and a man wearing trousers which also cling to his body. The buttock of both a man and a woman is part of the 'awrah and both of them are the same. So it is compulsory for the youth to be warned about this predicament about which they are blind, except for he whom Allah has guided, who are few. [Taken from one his tapes]

From Shaykh Al Alabani.

Eesa.

Kittygyal
11-28-2006, 08:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah

I'd love to see your reaction to a sister who said that she prays in jeans, the link the brother posted shows the mind state of many Muslims, not you in particular bro,

It is surprising to find many young Muslims taking exception to ladies wearing tight clothes since they cling to their bodies, yet these young men are forgetting about themselves. There is no difference between a lady wearing tight clothes which press against her body and a man wearing trousers which also cling to his body. The buttock of both a man and a woman is part of the 'awrah and both of them are the same. So it is compulsory for the youth to be warned about this predicament about which they are blind, except for he whom Allah has guided, who are few. [Taken from one his tapes]

From Shaykh Al Alabani.

Eesa.

subhnallah! May Allah subahwnatallah be with you mashallah a well said answer! give you reps already so can't give you anymore but just remind me after 24hrz inshallah :) you definately need it this time :happy:

chacha_jalebi
11-28-2006, 08:19 PM

yesh, re read my post bro i said, as long as your awrah is covered :D there are jeans/trousers/combats nowadays that are baggy and not tite, so your awrah aint shown, you cant see the shape of the legs :D and theres loads of clothes that do dat :D

i said as long as the awrah is covered :D

Kittygyal
11-28-2006, 08:23 PM
yesh, re read my post bro i said, as long as your awrah is covered :D there are jeans nowadays that are baggy and not tite, so your awrah aint shown, you cant see the shape of the legs :D and theres loads of clothes that do dat :D

but say if your out of Town && you've got Jeans on && a top && a scarf on your head && say your praying on a pavement parked up on a side to pray && obviously there's no water so instead you do Tayamum, so basically my question is isn't your salah valid even though your intention was not to flash your body around, after all were still performing salah :?

chacha_jalebi
11-28-2006, 08:23 PM
and and isnt the main thing offering your salah, its the inside that counts, rather then the outside :D but yesh like i said and you said the awrah should be covered :D

Umar001
11-28-2006, 08:26 PM
yesh, re read my post bro i said, as long as your awrah is covered :D there are jeans/trousers/combats nowadays that are baggy and not tite, so your awrah aint shown, you cant see the shape of the legs :D and theres loads of clothes that do dat :D

I know akhi, but you telling me if your wife or sister or daughter said to you, dad /husband/brother am going out, and u like what you wearing an they said jeans you'd be ok? am sure youd be like 'what?' at first.

:giggling: :giggling:

Kittygyal
11-28-2006, 08:29 PM
and and isnt the main thing offering your salah, its the inside that counts, rather then the outside :D but yesh like i said and you said the awrah should be covered :D

humm is that an answer to my question :?

chacha_jalebi
11-28-2006, 08:33 PM
I know akhi, but you telling me if your wife or sister or daughter said to you, dad /husband/brother am going out, and u like what you wearing an they said jeans you'd be ok? am sure youd be like 'what?' at first.

:giggling: :giggling:
lol erm, the question was whether he could pray in his trousers or jeans :p not whether one can go outside :p

and i believe actions are based on intentions :D as it says in a hadiths in sahih bukhari :D so bro lol :p woteva you do, you will be judged by Allah (swt) on what you intended:D

Kittygyal
11-28-2006, 08:36 PM

can someone please for thy sake of Allah subahnwatallah answer my question i need to know inshallah!

chacha_jalebi
11-28-2006, 08:39 PM
yesh sista, if u intend good then its k, as you said in the situation where you have only jeans on, then woo hoo:D

in certain circumstances thins change, like imagine we are faced with a life n death circumstance, wer even allowed to say we arent muslim! mashallah!

so each circumstance has to be looked @ and then you gota give advice, like fishy bro said - its hard for him to carry an extra item of clothin, so for him the situation is different :D ya get manz :D

Kittygyal
11-28-2006, 08:43 PM
yesh sista, if u intend good then its k, as you said in the situation where you have only jeans on, then woo hoo:D

in certain circumstances thins change, like imagine we are faced with a life n death circumstance, wer even allowed to say we arent muslim! mashallah!

so each circumstance has to be looked @ and then you gota give advice, like fishy bro said - its hard for him to carry an extra item of clothin, so for him the situation is different :D ya get manz :D

Allah Hu A3lim

but in that situation that i mentioned is it possible to pray on a pavement were non-mehram are away from us:?

am so sowiee fishy Akhi for like taking over your thread i just had few questions to ask am sowiee please forgive me inshallah

chacha_jalebi
11-28-2006, 08:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
but in that situation that i mentioned is it possible to pray on a pavement were non-mehram are away from us:?
you can pray anywer as long as it aint dirty :p like no drunk manz wet himself on d place or it smells or summin :p

if that place is clean, then woo hoo, yesh you can pray on it :D

Kittygyal
11-28-2006, 08:47 PM
you can pray anywer as long as it aint dirty :p like no drunk manz wet himself on d place or it smells or summin :p

if that place is clean, then woo hoo, yesh you can pray on it :D

i know that Akhi but what am trying to say is it okay for women to pray on a pavement where other men are walking but thats ONLY thy best place it was :?

chacha_jalebi
11-28-2006, 08:54 PM

i know that Akhi but what am trying to say is it okay for women to pray on a pavement where other men are walking but thats ONLY thy best place it was :?

well, thats impossible :p lol

there always has to be anova place or summin :p lol come on dats a xtreme Q:p

but in that situation, you can wait until they go :D innit :p and when they walk by then woo hoo or jus wait and go home and pray :D

in islam we are told not to go into extremes :D so in that situation jus wait for the people to go, and durin a journey the prayer can be shorted :p so short it if ur scared sum1 else mite come, but best is to jus go home and pray in that situation :D

Kittygyal
11-28-2006, 09:03 PM
well, thats impossible :p lol

there always has to be anova place or summin :p lol come on dats a xtreme Q:p

but in that situation, you can wait until they go :D innit :p and when they walk by then woo hoo or jus wait and go home and pray :D

in islam we are told not to go into extremes :D so in that situation jus wait for the people to go, and durin a journey the prayer can be shorted :p so short it if ur scared sum1 else mite come, but best is to jus go home and pray in that situation :D

well say on Motor way you park aside lol some where like that && other places are dirty && mucky so you ONLY had a pavement there && you never knew people were gonna come so once you go down to Sujood out of no were a man pops out freaky eh :rollseyes but...but i know salah can be read at home but if you miss it you can do Qathza but why break salah when you initianally never knew someone was going to walk :uhwhat

grr Allah Hu A3lim!, am crashing Fishy Akhi's thread best of all if i step back inshallah sowiee Akhi

Fishman
11-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Even if you have regular trousers on, when you prostrate they pull foreward and press on your butt, revealling the shape. They are just as tight, perhaps tighter than, jeans when this happens.

Fishman
11-28-2006, 09:06 PM
I'm also not allowed to pray in public places. And it would probably endanger my saftey to anyway. I used to think that most people were tolerant and would just be interested in what you are doing. But now I realised that that is not true.

chacha_jalebi
11-28-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm also not allowed to pray in public places. And it would probably endanger my saftey to anyway. I used to think that most people were tolerant and would just be interested in what you are doing. But now I realised that that is not true.
yeh bro, so in ur situation, go to a mosque, if its not possible then pray @ home, islam allows you to do this,

islam is simple, its to make us better people, it has the solutions to all our problems! and cover your awrah, wear ur hoody around ur waist, or jumper :D

The Ruler
11-28-2006, 09:12 PM
But now I realised that that is not true.
depends on what type of people really...i know a non-muslim friend of mine who really respects whenever i speak of prayer and if i miss the basketball club because i go and prau zuhr, she would save a place for me in one of the teams...but there are a few that obviously are like...what on earth are they doing...but yeah...its my religion, its what i do...you cant change it, you got a problem, you need a life, go and get one...you gotta have that attitude. if you are put down or are let down by people, raise your spirits by consoling yourself...it works...yes i know its the first sign of madness, talking to oneself...but i do that often...and it works

Fishman
11-28-2006, 09:16 PM
yeh bro, so in ur situation, go to a mosque, if its not possible then pray @ home, islam allows you to do this.
I am allowed to pray at home. But I cannot go on trips or anything, since my parents don't want me to pray where other people can see me. They also don't want me to base my day around prayer times, which is what Islam tells us to do.

The Ruler
11-28-2006, 09:18 PM
I am allowed to pray at home. But I cannot go on trips or anything, since my parents don't want me to pray where other people can see me. They also don't want me to base my day around prayer times, which is what Islam tells us to do.

tell them what islam wants you to do...or do they know already :?...in this case you can tell them nicely what you have to do and your duties as a muslim and that you have to fulfill them otherwise your life is just pointless

Fishman
11-28-2006, 09:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by +*Glacier*+
depends on what type of people really...i know a non-muslim friend of mine who really respects whenever i speak of prayer and if i miss the basketball club because i go and prau zuhr, she would save a place for me in one of the teams...but there are a few that obviously are like...what on earth are they doing...but yeah...its my religion, its what i do...you cant change it, you got a problem, you need a life, go and get one...you gotta have that attitude. if you are put down or are let down by people, raise your spirits by consoling yourself...it works...yes i know its the first sign of madness, talking to oneself...but i do that often...and it works

I tend to find that all the young people in my area go around in burberry hoodies, sticking their middle fingers up at Muslims as they drive past. If I 'look Muslim', no doubt they will say or do something to me. They are a minority of people, but they are a big enough minority to make me and many other new Muslims scared.

What I mean by public is in the middle of a public place or building, not in a private room.

The Ruler
11-28-2006, 09:26 PM
I tend to find that all the young people in my area go around in burberry hoodies, sticking their middle fingers up at Muslims as they drive past. If I 'look Muslim', no doubt they will say or do something to me. They are a minority of people, but they are a big enough minority to make me and many other new Muslims scared.

no offence but how does a middle finger in the air scary :?...i mean its only a middle finger and not a huge monstrous snake with sharp and vicious teeth coming to gobble you up...but yes i do understand the fear...i understand yet it has no rational reason...hatred towards the mslims is expected...i expect hatred from every corner where i live...it is probably like your place where its mostly non-muslims...although i get hatred in sooo many places here, i know we have to stay strong and face these challenges to be able to qualify for our test...and that is what keeps me going...:)

Fishman
11-28-2006, 09:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by +*Glacier*+

tell them what islam wants you to do...or do they know already :?...in this case you can tell them nicely what you have to do and your duties as a muslim and that you have to fulfill them otherwise your life is just pointless

Yes, they already know that I have to pray. And they will let me if it does not interfere with my life. But if I tell them that I will have to be back from York (or some other place) before prayer, they tell me that I cannot arrange my time based on prayers.

Umar001
11-28-2006, 09:27 PM
Am totally confused, are your parents Muslims?

Fishman
11-28-2006, 09:30 PM
no offence but how does a middle finger in the air scary :?...i mean its only a middle finger and not a huge monstrous snake with sharp and vicious teeth coming to gobble you up...
Angry chavs are scary. If I was not inside a car the guy would probably have said 'go home f***in' paki', or something like that. Or even hit me. I read an article in 'Muslim News' which said that an eight-year old was kicked and punched in the face by teenage thugs just because he was a Muslim.

Fishman
11-28-2006, 09:31 PM
Am totally confused, are your parents Muslims?
No, they are atheists. Which means that however much I tell them that I have to pray, it is not going to change their beliefs about it.

Umar001
11-28-2006, 09:35 PM
No, they are atheists. Which means that however much I tell them that I have to pray, it is not going to change their beliefs about it.
Ok well why just not go out much anyway?

I mean your lucky they let you pray at home bro, cos thats where you spend msot of your time so you can do night prayer nad so on.

The Ruler
11-28-2006, 09:36 PM
Angry chavs are scary. If I was not inside a car the guy would probably have said 'go home f***in' paki', or something like that. Or even hit me. I read an article in 'Muslim News' which said that an eight-year old was kicked and punched in the face by teenage thugs just because he was a Muslim.
oh right...yeah i read that story too...and i was thinking...cmon a 8 year old imsad...but yes these things do happen...i'm really running out of ideas...but there is one i can suggest...i may seem stupid but it may work...self defense classes...i mean to be on the safe side...and yes i am serious...no kidding

format_quote Originally Posted by ze fish
never lose hope...you can keep trying...bear in mind that maybe...just maybe one day you might be able to bring a change :)

Fishman
11-28-2006, 09:39 PM
Ok well why just not go out much anyway?
Unfortunately they take me out to places on holiday. Quite often they go to pubs full of alcohol and music, and insist on taking me. At other times they take us on excursions to forts and things, which, whilst not full of haram things, means that I miss most of the daytime prayers.

Skillganon
11-28-2006, 09:42 PM
Don't worry brother be patient. I know this is quite short, but welcome to the real world.

*love4isl@m*
11-28-2006, 09:50 PM

:) BrO, just like 2 giv 1 ADVISE:...
pLZ neva eva giv up insha-allah as life is a test &
so plz keep continueing with w@ u can..
And alwayz think positive and hav the right intention,
May allah reward ur efforts and realise ur will 4 islam!!!
Ma3salaama

Muhammad
11-28-2006, 10:06 PM
:sl: Fishman,

Here is a link which speaks about the issue of praying in trousers:

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=46529&ln=eng

Here are some others that might be useful Insha'Allaah:

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=20125&ln=eng

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=2322&ln=eng

Do not worry about not being recognised as a Muslim... many times we meet people on the street who are Muslims yet it is not obvious from their appearance. So it is a common thing and only when we speak to a person and give salam (sometimes even salam does not work), do we realise that they are Muslim.

As for not having a proper teacher, many people do not have a proper Qur'an teacher or even any teacher. Some people have to travel or find some other way of learning. The best way is of course to have a teacher, but until you are able to find one, you will just have to be patient and try your best. Try out media that might help you, like online classes that might be set up for teaching Qur'an. There are also lectures and resources that may also help you to learn Islam. And I am sure your local Imam will be happy to guide you and answer questions Insha'Allaah.

Be patient during this difficult time, and Insha'Allaah, Allaah will make a way out for you and grant you a time of ease. Keep praying and striving in the cause of Allaah. Our prayers are with you!

And strive hard in Allâh's Cause as you ought to strive (with sincerity and with all your efforts that His Name should be superior). He has chosen you (to convey His Message of Islâmic Monotheism to mankind by inviting them to His religion, Islâm), and has not laid upon you in religion any hardship, it is the religion of your father Ibrahim (Abraham) (Islâmic Monotheism). It is He (Allâh) Who has named you Muslims both before and in this (the Qur'ân), that the Messenger (Muhammad

) may be a witness over you and you be witnesses over mankind! So perform AsSalât (Iqamat-as-Salât), give Zakât and hold fast to Allâh [i.e. have confidence in Allâh, and depend upon Him in all your affairs] He is your Maula (Patron, Lord, etc.), what an Excellent Maula (Patron, Lord, etc.) and what an Excellent Helper!

[Qur'an, 22:78]

:w: :)

DigitalStorm82
11-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Asalamu Alaikum Bro,

I have only one advice to you...

Do as much as you can and as best as you can to please Allah.

If something you like to do but are faced with difficulties and are unable to do it... It's ok Inshallah.

Your reward is in your intentions bro... Islam doesn't make your life miserable.. it simplifies it... All the sunnah you do or trying to do is good... but if you're unable to do it for whatever reason... it's ok. You'll still be rewarded for it based on your intentions...

Don't be too harsh on yourself...

May Allah always keep you in the best of Imaan Inshallah.

Fishman
11-29-2006, 05:14 PM
I tried tying my jumper around my waist, but that was quite tight too. But I told my mum about this problem, and she let me wear my shalwar kameez whilst praying, possibly outside of prayer too.
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
:sl: Fishman,

Here is a link which speaks about the issue of praying in trousers:

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=46529&ln=eng
I don't understand why these people say its not invalid, when the scholar quoted in the link I posted said it is. And if I wear regular trousers outside of prayer, am I sinning? They are not as revealing as jeans, but compared to Islamic trousers they are very revealing.

Fishman
11-29-2006, 07:58 PM
Anybody there?

Since the upper legs are awrah, and trousers show their basic outline, are trousers allowed?

AvarAllahNoor
11-29-2006, 08:29 PM
In regard to jeans, if you're alone does it matter what you wear? In public i can see the reason why it's not ideal!

Fishman
11-29-2006, 08:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
In regard to jeans, if you're alone does it matter what you wear? In public i can see the reason why it's not ideal!
I don't know whether it matters when I am alone. But in view of the public, and when I am performing salah (prayer), yes, it does matter.

Kittygyal
11-29-2006, 08:32 PM

Allah Hu A3lim

but your never alone Allah sub3hanwatallah is always with you :muddlehea

AvarAllahNoor
11-29-2006, 08:39 PM

Allah Hu A3lim

lol -True, but Allah isn't going to get any of 'those' thoughts is he. It's about other people!

Sikhs wear the Kurta Pajama, it's like the Muslim dress, but you have the Kurta which is long and covers the back and front when we bow!

Fishman
11-29-2006, 08:39 PM

Allah Hu A3lim

But there must be some permission for uncovering when alone, otherwise you would never be able to take your clothes off. And if you could not uncover at all, then what are Maharams for?

Kittygyal
11-29-2006, 08:41 PM
lol -True, but Allah isn't going to get any of 'those' thoughts is he. It's about other people!

Sikhs wear the Kurta Pajama, it's like the Muslim dress, but you have the Kurta which is long and covers the back and front when we bow!

well if your alone && there's no opposite gender then thats okay Allah Hu A3lim

Kittygyal
11-29-2006, 08:42 PM
But there must be some permission for uncovering when alone, otherwise you would never be able to take your clothes off. And if you could not uncover at all, then what are Maharams for?

well ofcourse you can get change or whatever when your alone but remember Allah is watching what you do :embarrass

Fishman
11-29-2006, 08:44 PM
Anyway...
Can somebody please answer these questions, before I rot away and get eaten by the talking springs:
I don't understand why these people say its not invalid, when the scholar quoted in the link I posted said it is. And if I wear regular trousers outside of prayer, am I sinning? They are not as revealing as jeans, but compared to Islamic trousers they are very revealing.
Since the upper legs are awrah, and trousers show their basic outline, are trousers allowed?

Fishman
11-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Please? It's getting cold and windy out in this topic!

snakelegs
11-29-2006, 08:51 PM

in islam we are told not to go into extremes

that's true from everything i've read, yet often people seem to lose sight of this.

Fishman
11-29-2006, 08:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
that's true from everything i've read, yet often people seem to lose sight of this.
Yup, unfortunately this is one of the problems in the world today. But not one you or me can easily do anything about, sadly.

snakelegs
11-29-2006, 08:56 PM
sad state the world is in.
why can't you get a huge shirt - that would cover everything that needs covering, wouldn't it?

Fishman
11-29-2006, 09:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
why can't you get a huge shirt - that would cover everything that needs covering, wouldn't it?
I have got one. It's called a Kameez. But unfortunately I don't think my dad likes the idea of me wearing one regularly. I thought I understood why, but but when I tried to explain it here I realised I could not. He keeps calling it a (woman's) dress.

Kittygyal
11-29-2006, 09:08 PM
I have got one. It's called a Kameez. But unfortunately I don't think my dad likes the idea of me wearing one regularly. I thought I understood why, but but when I tried to explain it here I realised I could not. He keeps calling it a (woman's) dress.

well why don't you wear a juba or a jilb :-\ :embarrass

snakelegs
11-29-2006, 09:08 PM
well, he probably connects the kameez with islam or something foreign. but a regular shirt that's really big? it doesn't really need to come as low as the kameez to cover, does it? if you just find a great big shirt and don't say anything about it - it might work?
i'm not a muslim, but i think chacha had some good advice. god knows what's in your heart, no?
anyway, that's all i can come up withl.

The Ruler
11-30-2006, 09:32 AM

well why don't you wear a juba or a jilb :-\ :embarrass

probably cause of the same reason he doesnt wear a kameez init...

and yes you can wear a really huge shirt...that goes below your bottom...when you are not praying, tuck it in...when you are praying, pull it out...that should help

Abu Zakariya
11-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Akhi, nobody of the scholars in the link said that the prayer of a person with tight clothes is unvalid. If you pray in tight pants your prayer is still valid so long as they cover the area from the navel to the knees. Noone of the scholars in the link said that the prayer is invalid.

As for this concern:

trimming pubes (people think you are gay if you do that)
How would anyone find out?

Not having a proper Quran teacher (or any Islamic teachers)
That is a bit of a problem. Start out by trying to perfect your pronounciation of the arabic letters. Here is a great site:

http://humera.de/arabiska/?url=enindex

There you can practice on basic tajwid (proper recitation of the Qur'an).

And as for people recognising you as a Muslim... I'd suggest you look at this statement from Shaykh al-Islam ibn Taymiyah:

“If the Muslim lives in a disbelieving country, whether or not that state is hostile with the Muslim states, he will not be obligated to expose himself as different than them. This is on account of the difficulties that doing so can pose. Indeed, it might become preferable or even obligatory for him to conform to their outward standards of appearance if there is a benefit for the faith in doing so like inviting them to Islam, a prevention of difficulties for the Muslims, or the realization of any other wholesome intention.” [Iqtidâ’ al-Sirât al-Mustaqîm (176)]

Umar001
11-30-2006, 08:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Zakariya
Akhi, nobody of the scholars in the link said that the prayer of a person with tight clothes is unvalid. If you pray in tight pants your prayer is still valid so long as they cover the area from the navel to the knees. Noone of the scholars in the link said that the prayer is invalid.
Akhi, if you pray naked, is it valid?

Abu Zakariya
11-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Akhi, if you pray naked, is it valid?
Of course not.

Fishman
11-30-2006, 09:24 PM

How would anyone find out?
I have established that. But one of the scholars in the link I oringinally posted said it was invalid, and I want to understand why they disagree with each other.
I also want to know if it is sinful to have regular trousers on outside prayer. In the west, trousers are normally quite narrow, so tight trousers are things like jeans and tracksuit trousers. But in all Islamic cultures, trousers are very wide by western standards. So when the prophet told us not to wear tight trousers, was he refering to really tight trousers, or regular ones?

syilla
12-01-2006, 12:50 AM

i thought khakis trousers are wider....and not tight.

Fishman
12-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Except for school, I've managed to wear my shalwar kameez all day today. I guess that means they don't mind!

Umar001
12-02-2006, 12:40 AM
Of course not.
You heard of the hadeeth that there will wear clothes but they will be naked?

Helena
12-02-2006, 12:51 AM

issue on izar......theres a hadith from bukhari.....am not sure if it help u not....

ibn umar said that the prophet said 'he who traits his dress in pride on the grounds, Allah will not look at him on the day of resurrection.'
Thereupon Abu Bakr said "O Allah's messenger, my izar gets loose, until i tie it(again). And Allah's messenger said 'tou are not one of those who do this out of pride.'

England
12-02-2006, 12:55 AM
Trimming pubes is considered gay? :-\ Don't want em hanging out your shorts though do ya...

Armpit, leg and arm shaving is considered gay.

syilla
12-02-2006, 09:05 AM
^^^in islam you're not considered as gay...

you are considered following sunnah and a hygienic person

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.