/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Faster than 'c' ?

lolwatever
11-29-2006, 02:40 AM
:eek:

Physicists at Oregon State University have discovered a way to manipulate the transmission of optical signals in tiny wires, slowing, stopping or even speeding them up to velocities faster than the speed of light.
OSU physicists discover faster optical signals

Portland Business Journal

Physicists at Oregon State University have discovered a way to manipulate the transmission of optical signals in tiny wires, slowing, stopping or even speeding them up to velocities faster than the speed of light.

They say that is a major advance that could open the door to a new era of computing and information processing based on optics.

The findings, being published in the journal Physical Review Letters, are a step toward manipulating light pulses in the same conceptual way that conventional electronics, since the dawn of switches, semiconductors and transistors, has manipulated electrons.

The potential payoff, the physicists say, might be a new generation of computers, communications or other devices that are no longer hamstrung by the limited speed of electrons -- a speed that may seem extraordinarily fast in one sense, but is slow compared to the visionary possibilities of optics.

"At least in theory, computers based on optics might be a million times faster than those used today," said Viktor Podolskiy, an OSU assistant professor of physics. "This is because the frequency of light is about one million times faster than that of electrons, and the devices we envision would be based on photonics rather than the movement of electrons."

Some important uses of photonics are already in common use, such as the fiber-optic cables used for high speed telecommunication, the optical disk readouts used in most PCs. But there currently is no way to manage and manipulate optics in any small device the way that electrons can easily be controlled in everything from computers to cell phones.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umar001
11-29-2006, 02:47 AM
I need a faster pc

Malaikah
11-29-2006, 02:51 AM
:sl:

hmmmm.... :uuh:

I really dont want to believe it lol.

lolwatever
11-29-2006, 07:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

hmmmm.... :uuh:

I really dont want to believe it lol.
The 1million times faster machine isn't actually what excites me... coz the quantum computer is actually 1 BILLION times faster.

But something faster than speed of light is just woa. I thought it was impossible 4such thing to occur:confused:
:w:

ps: bro Isa, mee too :offended:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
11-29-2006, 08:21 AM

Whats a million times faster? I didnt even register anything about computers lol all I saw was faster than the speed on light and I was like :uuh:

The Ruler
11-29-2006, 08:24 AM

that is sooooo great...i wonder what else they discover next :happy:

Ameeratul Layl
11-29-2006, 12:39 PM
salam,

Well, the speed of light is 3 x EXP 8 (ms-1). If CERN can make a Hadron collider, I'm not surprised at such an invention. Though we must consider:

"At least in theory, computers based on optics might be a million times faster than those used today," said Viktor Podolskiy, an OSU assistant professor of physics
I would like to see it for myself to be 100% convinced.

Good article!

wasalam

seeker_of_ilm
11-29-2006, 12:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl
salam,

Well, the speed of light is 3 x EXP -3 (ms-1). If CERN can make a Hadron collider, I'm not surprised at such an invention. Though we must consider:

wasalam

Isn't the speed of light 3 x10^8 ms^-1?

^ = To the power of

lolwatever
11-29-2006, 12:45 PM
salam,

Well, the speed of light is 3 x EXP -3 (ms-1). If CERN can make a Hadron collider, I'm not surprised at such an invention. Though we must consider:

I would like to see it for myself to be 100% convinced.

Good article!

wasalam
i think they made very basic protytpes of quantum computer that can carry out calculations 1BILLION times faster than any current computer.....

teh challenge is to make it more than a simple op-amp lol

salamz

lolwatever
11-29-2006, 12:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by seeker_of_ilm

Isn't the speed of light 3 x10^8 ms^-1?

^ = To the power of
ya :D

Ameeratul Layl
11-29-2006, 12:46 PM
salam,

sorry, my mistake...I was thinking of something else. Yes...speed of light IS 3 EXP 8 ms-1

br lol...do keep us updated inshAllah.

wasalam

Malaikah
11-30-2006, 11:15 AM
If CERN can make a Hadron collider, I'm not surprised at such an invention.

How is building a hadron collider as amazing as going faster than the speed of light? :?:offended:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.